rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

randomly changing the position on the map is a crappy idea and extremely flawed in many ways, not to mention it has no real explanation of why you magically ended up miles away from where you last logged off.

no ive said it before and ill say it again, if you want to stop server hopping place a timer in the lobby, which you have to wait for, its really as simple as that, and no more demanding than waiting for a round to finish on counterstrike.

join server, wait 2-3mins in the lobby, join game. if you dc you have to wait in the lobby again before you get into the game. it won't completely stop the problems but it does make them less viable, you can't determine if a player will still be near where you logged off so trying to hop behind someone becomes basically impossible, and well hopping just becomes pointless because if you need to wait 3 mins to get into the server, hopping between 2 servers makes you wait for 6 mins total, which is not far from the time it takes loot to respawn, so in essence hopping for loot is then practically void.

disconnecting to avoid death is penalized because you need to wait, it would be less of a reflex if players knew they'd have to wait to get back in. a fool proof plan may be impossible with the current way multiplayer works in the arma 2 engine until some sort of system is designed from the ground up with new functionality that stops ppl logging off when in the proximity of other players, even that system has a flaw because teams log off together.

also timers of 30 seconds aren't long enough, keeping your body in the world for 1min isn't a solution either, it just penalizes everyone for logging off.

figure out a system that doesn't just screw everyone for the sake of a meta game, place a method or incentive in the game to keep players on one server.

Any timeout you place will never stop the server hoppers.. do you really believe that waiting 2 minutes in the lobby is an incentive to not disconnect? 2 minutes is NOTHING if compared with you (eventual) gear; and is nothing to wait for 2 minutes if you can loot like 10 barracks in (1*10 + 2*10 timeout) 30 minutes on 10 different servers.

1 Character per server.

And

Bleeding while offline.

Fixes the DC and server hoppers problems.

How about:

If it can be detected that another Player or Infected is near you (by the game code) then logout wont happen they have to be a set distance away (400 mts maybe), forcing you to stay and fight/die if they are closer and you are in a fight.

The downside is this can be exploited to find if people are there possibly.

Just an idea

Any timeout you place will never stop the server hoppers.. do you really believe that waiting 2 minutes in the lobby is an incentive to not disconnect? 2 minutes is NOTHING if compared with you (eventual) gear; and is nothing to wait for 2 minutes if you can loot like 10 barracks in (1*10 + 2*10 timeout) 30 minutes on 10 different servers.

But if one were to add a login freeze, nobody would dare to server hop in barracks. There, fixed.

It stops ppl dropping to the lobby and then jumping back in or, going to a different server, getting in instantly, and then hopping back in a different location, its not a cure its a hindrance.

the idea is to just make it less viable, you wanna make it so that hopping is worst than staying, then you have cured the problem.

But if one were to add a login freeze' date=' nobody would dare to server hop in barracks. There, fixed.

[/quote']

When you server hop to loot location (in example deer stands.. etc.) you don't logout inside it (unless you're really brave or stupid lol) .. you logout layed down under a bush ... the you run to the location you need to loot, loot it, and then you go away again under the bush. A login freeze wouldn't solve the problem.

But if one were to add a login freeze' date=' nobody would dare to server hop in barracks. There, fixed.

[/quote']

When you server hop to loot location (in example deer stands.. etc.) you don't logout inside it (unless you're really brave or stupid lol) .. you logout layed down under a bush ... the you run to the location you need to loot, loot it, and then you go away again under the bush. A login freeze wouldn't solve the problem.

Would you honestly not mind being frozen in place/doing an animation for 20 or so seconds near barracks? I would.

It would also work great against teleporting.

Just my thoughts, sorry if this has already been suggested

1. for people moving on another server to get out of tricky situations :

- disconnect from server A

- connect on server B to move your character and spawn behind someone on server A

- try to reconnect on server A, but there is a X min timer

2. for server hoppers, after 2 or 3 different server connections within X mins not allowing to see loots in a X meter radius for X min (often happens to me that I have to connect to 3 or 4 servers before finding one where all my friends can go / there is no lag / the loading screen is stuck, although I wouldn't mind not being able to see any loots in a certain radius upon login)

3. for disconnection to avoid death, if you fired a shot / have a zombie aggro / a bullet was shot around you and you cannot disconnect within the next X min and need to get "out of combat", if you alt+f4 the character stay logged for this duration (and therefore can still be killed).

I think Max's idea would work great, even to prevent teleporting behind other players because of the login freeze animation.

However I still think that additionally, you should be locked out of any server you disconnect from for X amount of minutes to further mitigate, at least 15? Just because even with a login freeze, you could still teleport behind a player in a location (inside a tree or bush for example) that's hidden enough that they couldn't see you while you were stuck in the login freeze animation.

I think Max's idea would work great' date=' even to prevent teleporting behind other players because of the login freeze animation.

However I still think that additionally, you should be locked out of any server you disconnect from for X amount of minutes to further mitigate, at least 15? Just because even with a login freeze, you could still teleport behind a player in a location (inside a tree or bush for example) that's hidden enough that they couldn't see you while you were stuck in the login freeze animation.

[/quote']

I think you are right. There's no reason not to do it, the way I see it.

I think Max's idea would work great' date=' even to prevent teleporting behind other players because of the login freeze animation.

[/quote']

This is a really bad solution. Let me explain why.

My connection is usually pretty good and stable but this last week I have been getting these random disconnects, not a big deal since I can just reconnect. If it takes 15 minutes for me to get back while my group is still at NWAF it can lead to the death of my friends. We all know ArmA II isn't bug free and this mod is still in alpha so you can get disconnected for some weird reason and when that happens you don't want to wait 15 minutes.

In that situation, you would be better off hopping onto a nearly empty server (which would probably be night time) just so you could get away without putting your friends at risk.

As Max also said, a stable Internet connection shouldn't be too much to ask for, as long as the server connection itself is stable enough.

I know I've said this a few times before as well, but in any other MMO with PVP mechanics, there are mechanics in place where if you lose connection through no fault of your own, your character is still stuck in the world and vulnerable to be attacked. It's a little harsh, and yes people will inadvertently die. But the rest of the community shouldn't be punished just because a small percent have unstable connections. If any of these suggestions are ever implemented, it will have to be a risk you take or don't play. There wouldn't be any intermediate ground or special circumstances, because if there were they would still be open for abuse & exploitation.

How about:

If it can be detected that another Player or Infected is near you (by the game code) then logout wont happen they have to be a set distance away (400 mts maybe)' date=' forcing you to stay and fight/die if they are closer and you are in a fight.

Just an idea

[/quote']

You serious? So no way for anyone to play in groups with buddies or even strangers, right? Heh.

I think you need to remember there are plenty of legit reasons to server hop. Some servers give better frame rates than others (in my experience). Some have kids spamming the mic and text with gibberish/music (my pet peeve). Some servers are on an inverted time scale and are pitch black. Some servers do not adequately explain what level difficulty they are (no 3rd person, no crosshairs etc).

If you aren't careful, you will end up penalizing regular players simply for joining what they feel as the wrong server. I realize this entire subject is tough to police, but caution needs to be exercised otherwise the cost will outweigh the benefits.

I think you need to remember there are plenty of legit reasons to server hop. Some servers give better frame rates than others (in my experience). Some have kids spamming the mic and text with gibberish/music (my pet peeve). Some servers are on an inverted time scale and are pitch black. Some servers do not adequately explain what level difficulty they are (no 3rd person' date=' no crosshairs etc).

If you aren't careful, you will end up penalizing regular players simply for joining what they feel as the wrong server. I realize this entire subject is tough to police, but caution needs to be exercised otherwise the cost will outweigh the benefits.

[/quote']

If people are spamming their mic or sidechat, you aren't playing on an updated server. Not wanting to play on up to date servers is not an excuse to tolerate exploits.

Trying out a few servers in a row to find the best one that suites you isn't even what I would consider server hopping anyway. In these cases I feel it would only be a slight inconvenience to have to wait a few extra seconds to quit. There won't be a solution that is 100% perfect and going to please everyone TBH.

Trying out a few servers in a row to find the best one that suites you isn't even what I would consider server hopping anyway. In these cases I feel it would only be a slight inconvenience to have to wait a few extra seconds to quit. There won't be a solution that is 100% perfect and going to please everyone TBH.

This is my point' date=' why make Joe-Schmoe wait 15 minutes when the first 2 servers he joined were terrible.

[hr']

Not wanting to play on up to date servers is not an excuse to tolerate exploits.

I totally agree, I just don't see a feasible method listed above without penalizing the wrong people.

This is my point' date=' why make Joe-Schmoe wait 15 minutes when the first 2 servers he joined were terrible.

[/quote']

So we can play without cheaters.

But for the sake of argument, let's say 5 minutes. A minor inconvenience instead of a gamebreaking one.

How about:

If it can be detected that another Player or Infected is near you (by the game code) then logout wont happen they have to be a set distance away (400 mts maybe)' date=' forcing you to stay and fight/die if they are closer and you are in a fight.

Just an idea

[/quote']

You serious? So no way for anyone to play in groups with buddies or even strangers, right? Heh.

Ok so why would you play at logging in and out with your group?

Just move away from each to log out at the end of your time playing

It stops people logging out in the middle of a fight or near zombies and any of the dumb stuff that goes on to avoid death.

Quite simply if your dying and try to evade it wont let you...

If your finished for the night just move apart and it will let you, on a team based note i wouldnt want to be all together at login.

It does nothing about stopping you dying just stops you cheating it

I've seen more games get ruined by listening to the carebear community. Just saying...

If Rocket's intention was to make an accessible game mod for the masses' date=' he probably wouldn't have picked Arma2 as the engine to base it on (notwithstanding the fact that he works at BIS of course.)

[/quote']

That's really fun, exactly what I expected :)

I'm probably one of the worst griefer, PK/bandit in all games I play, I also have a big gaming time but I don't support exploiting or cheating... so those carebears you're talking about, not only they are needed because without them the game would be boring (and we wouldn't get whines when we kill them in a fair pvp from behind), but they also are the ones that will make the mod, popular. There are numbers of elitist games that went from very popular to total desert in no time because casual players did run away from them.

There are probably ways to avoid that disconnection time, 20sec don't really make a difference, it would still be possible to cheat to avoid Z or players unless you're directly hit, besides this isn't the worst I've seen about players avoiding death (some lag exploit I will post in report section),and more than 20sec make it so you can't quit the game in a hurry... so I'm still for the nerf to players involved into pvp and not to others.

15mins unable to join ? that would be a joke too, no point into trying to teamplay if one player of your team is disconnected for some reason there goes your dayZ night.

I also think the great idea would be to set this kind of timer, maybe on a 5min basis to players disconnecting from a server, connecting to another and then comming back to the previous one, it seems obvious players that want to do that in a hurry are trying to exploit and that would break it for real.

I've seen more games get ruined by listening to the carebear community. Just saying...

If Rocket's intention was to make an accessible game mod for the masses' date=' he probably wouldn't have picked Arma2 as the engine to base it on (notwithstanding the fact that he works at BIS of course.)

[/quote']

That's really fun, exactly what I expected :)

I'm probably one of the worst griefer, PK/bandit in all games I play, I also have a big gaming time but I don't support exploiting or cheating... so those carebears you're talking about, not only they are needed because without them the game would be boring, but they also are the ones that will make the mod, popular. There are numbers of elitist games that went from very popular to total desert in no time because casual players did run away from them.

There are probably ways to avoid that disconnection time, 20sec don't really make a difference, it would still be possible to cheat to avoid Z or players unless you're directly hit, besides this isn't the worst I've seen about players avoiding death (some lag exploit I will post in report section),and more than 20sec make it so you can't quit the game in a hurry... so I'm still for the nerf to players involved into pvp and not to others.

15mins unable to join ? that would be a joke too, no point into trying to teamplay if one player of your team is disconnected for some reason there goes your dayZ night.

Well a 15 minute ban on joining OTHER servers would stop server hopping to change your character position and farming locations for specific items. During that cooldown time you could join the SAME server you were playing on and continue where you were.

While I don't think 15 minutes is necessary, I think 5-10 minutes cooldown would could be enough of a disincentive to keep server hopping to a minimum.

Fix to people disconnecting to avoid death:

Your character remains in-game for 1 minute whenever you log out. Games can't cater to players with computer issues.

Fix to people disconnecting to server hop:

Locations saved to local server rather than hive.

Problems solved. You want to play on another server, you start at a starting location.

Fix to people disconnecting to avoid death:

Your character remains in-game for 1 minute whenever you log out. Games can't cater to players with computer issues.

Fix to people disconnecting to server hop:

Locations saved to local server rather than hive.

That seems like a great idea. It seems so simple as well except people would just camp spawn locations, and then people with great gear would just die, but i like this idea i think we should focus on getting this worked out.