rocket

DayZ Build 1.6.0 Rolling Update

Start over. Bug forest =limbo. Respawning won't get you out when you are there' date=' you aren't really connected to the server.

[/quote']

Do I have to reconnect again and again? How many tries do you usually have to do to really connect to the server?

You are correct' date=' it is standard, but it is standard because the vast majorady prefer having aesthetics left up to them. You like this format? That is fine. But you could choose to play only as one gender. it's not the place of a developer to tell the player how to play if it does not impact the gameplay in any meaningful manner. Tell players to not cheat? Good, developers job. Tell them they can't play with aesthetic features next life? That is not the developers call.

[/quote']

Actually... I believe it is. Rocket made the female skins available. He also made them a one time decision. He is, I believe, unless we've all been mislead, the developer. Therefore, the developers call was that female skins be a one time thing. That call has been made. I see no evidence to suggest that this isn't the developer's call. Games are made by the developers, remember, not the customers. While the customers should have an influence on the playthrough of the game, the developer has the final choice as to every aspect. They make the games, dear sir. Not you.

I can't disagree with you more sir, the developers are making games -for - the customers, to please them, to bring in revenue.

For instance, Bioware made the call on Mass Effect 3's ending. However because it displeased their customers, they are releasing free DLC to expand and improve the ending.

Dragon Age 2 was their call as well, and with DA3 they are listening completely to customer feedback, because, despite it being "their call" to make DA2 the way it was, it was a sensational flop because their calls did not match the expectations of the majorady.

I work in game design kind sir. Our job is not to make what we want, our job is to bring to life something to please the customers, nothing more, nothing less. Developers vision does factor in, and that passion is what makes great games, however, the wishes of the majorady, especially on something so minor as aesthetics should be the decision of the player. And in every single other game on the market, it is.

Actually Ravenspear he said he does make games. But I do think there needs to be set rules by the developer to some extent. This being one of them. It's not like when you die your suddenly not really whatever gender you chose the first time. You know? So being able to play as whatever you want (here being man or woman) is like saying let me play as "insert anything here actually". Why does it even have to be human? Maybe I'm not getting what mean?

I like the idea. I do agree that an actual woman may be unconformable. Which is an unfortunate side effect. But unless these actual woman live in a cave irl. I'm sure they can handle it. If not, I don't what to say. Get help? It's not THAT bad? I don't know...

In the industry? Sure. You make games for consumers to make money.

Here though? He's making his game, his anti-game, his passion. Regardless of if it is good game design or not is irrelevant, because it is what he, as a person who loves doing what he does, wants to do. This game is going to get harder, and with each successive update where something does increase in difficulty, the mod will continue to lose more potential members than it gains/retains. And that's fine.

Pray to God that this *isn't* like every other game on the market, nor does it need to (nor should it) conform to all of their standards.

Hey, a question of realism vs playability:

Is the gender going to have an influence on a character's physical abilities or is it purely cosmetic?

I say it shouldn't make a difference.

Actually Ravenspear he said he does make games. But I do think there needs to be set rules by the developer to some extent. This being one of them. It's not like when you die your suddenly not really whatever gender you chose the first time. You know? So being able to play as whatever you want (here being man or woman) is like saying let me play as "insert anything here actually". Why does it even have to be human? Maybe I'm not getting what mean?

I like the idea. I do agree about actual woman being unconformable though. Which is an unfortunate side effect. But unless these actual woman live in a cave irl. I'm sure they can handle it. If not' date=' I don't what to say. Get help? It's not THAT bad? I don't know...

[/quote']

I would like to repeat, I can change my race without even dieing, I can even use a zombie face, but gender is locked down, it makes little sense. I stand by all my points, Aesthetics should be a player choice, once per character, once per life, but not once per 30 dollars. Now I'm going to leave the forums, not good my heart.

Also a side note for those talking about "realism" you can change genders in real life, it's slow and painful, but it can be done. We don't tell people they can't in real life, why should we in a game played for enjoyment?

Again it is aesthetic, if it does not impact other players experiences or the gameplay, which gender does not, then it should 100% be the choice of the player.

- A fellow game designer, signing out.

If a female character have sex with me will earn humanity?

The female will LOSE humanity for having sex with you.

You will earn an STD and possibly a bastard approx. nine months later (assuming female survives that long which is not bloody likely).

:D

I guess it was just me from being too excited from having the choice to change my character's gender.

now I fucked up and there isn't going back because of shitty servers and impatience.

Just go down to your local Department of Post-Zombie Apocalypse Gender Assignment & Redistribution and fill out the appropriate paperwork. I think there's one in the Chernogorsk government building, right across the hall from the Ministry of Silly Walks. :P

And herein lies my only issue with the whole 'one time choice' option.

Don't get me wrong now' date=' I love the idea, and I never had any intention of choosing the female skin in the first place, but... There are guys out there who are going to choose the female skin. From this thread, I think I've come up with four reasons that should cover every choice to play as in a female skin.

1. You actually are a girl.

2. You're a guy, but you've always harbored a secret desire to be a girl.

3. You're a guy, but you want something to stare at besides the zombies on the horizon

4. You're a guy, and you're looking for something... 'different'

The second reason...well... I respect your lifestyle, honestly, I do. One of my best friends since fifth grade is homosexual, and I think no less of him for it.

[/quote']

You can't be unaware that being homosexual is not even remotely the same things as wanting to be a female, can you? How very insulting, but I don't think it was your intent, so I'll give you a pass this time.

Oh, and another one-time pass: the "I have a friend who's {insert minority} so therefore..." actually makes you sound worse.

The correct response would have been "The second reason is just as valid as the first" full stop.

I like the idea. I do agree about actual woman being unconformable though. Which is an unfortunate side effect. But unless these actual woman live in a cave irl. I'm sure they can handle it. If not' date=' I don't what to say. Get help? It's not THAT bad? I don't know...

[/quote']

I would like to repeat, I can change my race without even dieing, I can even use a zombie face, but gender is locked down, it makes little sense. I stand by all my points, Aesthetics should be a player choice, once per character, once per life, but not once per 30 dollars. Now I'm going to leave the forums, not good my heart.

Also a side note for those talking about "realism" you can change genders in real life, it's slow and painful, but it can be done. We don't tell people they can't in real life, why should we in a game played for enjoyment?

Again it is aesthetic, if it does not impact other players experiences or the gameplay, which gender does not, then it should 100% be the choice of the player.

- A fellow game designer, signing out.

Why do people always get gender and sex confused?

You can't really change your gender, your SEX however is another story. Basically what you said about 'changing' gender actually refers to changing your sex to match your gender.

How did we get on this subject? =p

Some of us appear to have either gotten stuck at 12 years old, or are unable to accept that the desire of the game builder to get you to use your real life gender in this game trumps the staid desire to swap "genders" as if it was a hat.

L

On the gender changing issue. Does nobody see what rocket has done here? He's taken an otherwise mundane game feature and made it interesting. This isn't like other games where you can simply roll a new character and change gender. you make your choice and your stuck with it, for as long as you play dayz. No other game has anything like that. As far as the other modifiers like race and appearance, there's a couple things to consider. First of all their coded into the options of arma, not a feature that rocket added. I could be wrong but it could be tough to restrict those options the same way gender has been restricted. Also, changing gender is not the same as changing your hair or putting on some sunglasses. It has the potential to add a psychological element to the game and all you whiners should see it for the interesting experiment it is.

Also, lol at the 'fellow game designer' giving rocket advice on how to please his 'customers'. Dayz is free, there are no customers involved. That's why he has the liberty to do whatever the fuck he wants, and that's why dayz has been a smashing success. And judging from arma II's recent shall we say 'resurgence in popularity' I seriously doubt he needs your game design advice.

Are these performance issues going to be fixed sometime?

I can't even play the game now [~3 fps post-patch and had ~20-50 fps pre-patch]

I have seen it. And again' date=' you have to cater to the majorady to a certain degree. Try thinking about the majorady, being selfish is not the way success in game design.

I bring up my point again

[/quote']

Sorry, your point gets ignored because

"majorady" is not a word.

...... Words .....

Have you seen this post by the developer in this very thread?

1. Go to bathroom

2. Check whether you have a penis or a vagina

3. Select gender in game according to results

4. If you have a gender identity disorder' date=' choose whichever one you feel most.

[/quote']

I have seen it. And again, you have to cater to the majorady to a certain degree. Try thinking about the majorady, being selfish is not the way success in game design.

I bring up my point again, why can I change race, not only when I respawn, but with the same character who hasn't even died, so I could be white, black, asian, etc. all in the same life. (not to mention the zombie faces Which kinda break down the whole "look at your gender" argument to begin with, noones a zombie, but can pick a zombie face)

Say a female chooses female, but then, as this forum shows, gets hounded for her gender and feels uncomfortable? Now she is not allowed to change genders to play the game comfortably, she just has to deal with the hounding or quit the game? This is a common issue in many games across the internet, and hence why many women will play as men.

Being selfish is not the way to be. Thinking about everyone, every possibility, that is what one should do.

My main point is that this should be a character thing, once per character, but it should not be an account based thing to where you get a choice once every 30 dollars. That is it.

What the fuck is a 'majorady'?

You are correct' date=' it is standard, but it is standard because the vast majorady prefer having aesthetics left up to them. You like this format? That is fine. But you could choose to play only as one gender. it's not the place of a developer to tell the player how to play if it does not impact the gameplay in any meaningful manner. Tell players to not cheat? Good, developers job. Tell them they can't play with aesthetic features next life? That is not the developers call.

[/quote']

Actually... I believe it is. Rocket made the female skins available. He also made them a one time decision. He is, I believe, unless we've all been mislead, the developer. Therefore, the developers call was that female skins be a one time thing. That call has been made. I see no evidence to suggest that this isn't the developer's call. Games are made by the developers, remember, not the customers. While the customers should have an influence on the playthrough of the game, the developer has the final choice as to every aspect. They make the games, dear sir. Not you.

I can't disagree with you more sir, the developers are making games -for - the customers, to please them, to bring in revenue.

For instance, Bioware made the call on Mass Effect 3's ending. However because it displeased their customers, they are releasing free DLC to expand and improve the ending.

Dragon Age 2 was their call as well, and with DA3 they are listening completely to customer feedback, because, despite it being "their call" to make DA2 the way it was, it was a sensational flop because their calls did not match the expectations of the majorady.

I work in game design kind sir. Our job is not to make what we want, our job is to bring to life something to please the customers, nothing more, nothing less. Developers vision does factor in, and that passion is what makes great games, however, the wishes of the majorady, especially on something so minor as aesthetics should be the decision of the player. And in every single other game on the market, it is.

You just don't get this "game". I wonder if you ever will? It's not the end of the world, and it's not an insult or anything, but you can get a traditional experience in a thousand places.

These kinds of things are a hallmark of how this game works. You are not provoking even a scintilla of thought toward change by bringing up that you can change other bits of skin or that these are options in other games.

When I am frustrated or I don't like this game, I gtfo. I come back if I want to, if i want to. No amount of navel gazing and comparison to game x or pleas to appeal to the customer will change how it works. Thats on purpose.

Rocket/"the dev team" seem pretty adamant that gender should reflect one's real life gender. It's not gonna change because it's that way in another game, afaict.

L

Patch should be out sometime tomorrow to fix the "stream" issue, according to other posts and Rocky.

...... Words .....

Have you seen this post by the developer in this very thread?

1. Go to bathroom

2. Check whether you have a penis or a vagina

3. Select gender in game according to results

4. If you have a gender identity disorder' date=' choose whichever one you feel most.

[/quote']

I have seen it. And again, you have to cater to the majorady to a certain degree. Try thinking about the majorady, being selfish is not the way success in game design.

I bring up my point again, why can I change race, not only when I respawn, but with the same character who hasn't even died, so I could be white, black, asian, etc. all in the same life. (not to mention the zombie faces Which kinda break down the whole "look at your gender" argument to begin with, noones a zombie, but can pick a zombie face)

Say a female chooses female, but then, as this forum shows, gets hounded for her gender and feels uncomfortable? Now she is not allowed to change genders to play the game comfortably, she just has to deal with the hounding or quit the game? This is a common issue in many games across the internet, and hence why many women will play as men.

Being selfish is not the way to be. Thinking about everyone, every possibility, that is what one should do.

My main point is that this should be a character thing, once per character, but it should not be an account based thing to where you get a choice once every 30 dollars. That is it.

What the fuck is a 'majorady'?

Spielburg, in as simple terms as I can put: You did not pay a dime for Rocket's mod, and he is under NO obligation to cater to anyone but himself. Every one of us DayZ players just happens to be allowed to enjoy HIS mod, and we're playing it his way. The only way you can try and change anything, is through the suggestions forum.

I feel like people want DayZ to become a Tear-free mod, but this is that ragequit potential that makes the game !

(This does include the "Oh no I didn't switch to female when I was ask to !")

Patch should be out sometime tomorrow to fix the "stream" issue' date=' according to other posts and Rocky.

[/quote']

Damn, guess I'll have to play after finishing school I guess :(

lol @ the rage of a one-time skin change. so fucking mad it makes me smile. i normally dont troll but wow, talk about a couple of pretentious nubz.

also lol @ "stream issue". get ya vitamins game up man.

I'll listen to you once you don't sound like a 12 year old to me.

anyway I'm just going to wait until tomorrow when they hopefully get the fps issue fixed.

First of all, let me apologize to any that felt that my words related homosexuality to transgender leanings. I had absolutely no intention for my words to be taken that way. I do realize that being homosexual does not mean that one wishes to change gender. Far from it.

I shall abstain from responding to Spielburg, for I feel that my response has already been adequately stated by other posts before this one. Suffice it to say that this is, and always has been, Rocket's mod. He is not asking for money, nor is he begging for more players. He is doing what he wants, and I respect him for that.

And I am really sorry for sounding like a stuck up prick in my previous posts. For some reason, the more tired I get, the more obnoxious I seem to be.

I am no game developer, but I am a gamer, and I am also a writer. I don't speak from any direct experience with developing games, but I have watched several recent failures and their company's attempt to repair them. I really won't get into the Bioware issue. My feelings on that have been made clear on other sites much more suited to them and their games, rather than a forum distinctly for this mod.

All that aside, I love what rocket has done with this mod. This 'anti-game' as some seem to call it, is utterly unlike any game I've ever played before. Me and my brother have both enjoyed the small amount of time we've spent in game so far, despite already being killed once by a bandit. Since we travel together, we seem to have much better luck finding players willing to travel with us.

Anyway, after this utterly rambling and completely random post... Good luck to all you survivors out there, and I hope to see you ingame...hopefully without a rifle pointing towards my face. You're always welcome with me and my brother.

I'll listen to you once you don't sound like a 12 year old to me.

anyway I'm just going to wait until tomorrow when they hopefully get the fps issue fixed.

See' date=' I'm not doing [i']too terribly at the moment, surprisingly. The last frame rate hiccup (before the hotfix on Wednesday) had me at about 10-12 FPS. It was awful, I couldn't play at all. This one has me closer to 30-40 FPS, because I can creep in-game and work my way around if I'm careful enough - I wouldn't risk a shootout right now, because if anybody has a higher frame rate than me, I'm the proverbial fish in the virtual barrel.

Also, playing at night is scary.