Inception.

The best sniper rifle in the game?

AS50 is the most efficient sniper rifle in the game, by a very large margin.

If the AS50 I-Win button wasn't in the game I'd go with an M24 for the accuracy or an SVD for the utility. The only real bonus for the DMR is using it with NVGs but I typically don't snipe on night servers so it isn't a bonus for me. If I have to kill somebody at night I use m16a4 acog or sneak up behind them and shoot them in the head with an m9 sd.

The internet lingo comment is too retarded and objectively meaningless for me to bother formulating a response.

Let me help you try to understand the exceedingly simple concept I outlined:

The less efficient a weapon is at killing, is inversely directly proportional to the skill needed to obtain a kill.

If you suck with a DMR then thats because your skill level is capped by using such an easy weapon (AS50).

give me a 5 second log out timer

sure brah

until then its 1 shot kill or garbage

i realize its hard for retards to understand, but thats the way it is atm. if you cant guarantee their death with 1 shot 80-90% of people will log out instantly.

all these kids

"look at me ma, ive got a 10-20% shot - kill ratio"

truly efficient

With the current Alt-F4 issues, AS50. No more thought needed. Accurate, powerful(1 shot), "silent", not that much recoil, good firerate.

Without Alt-F4 and at ranges up to 400m probably DMR. Especially when you have to kill several targets fast. But if i had to choose, id take the AS50.

Agreed.

I've used both. They are, by a wide margin, my favorite two sniper rifles. The DMR is more versatile. If I could only carry ONE rifle, it would would be the DMR. Of course, in practice, I usually carry two rifles.

Up to 400-500 meters, the DMR is powerfull and accurate. Going beyond 600 meters, it starts to show it's limitations. The DMR allows quick follow up shots if needed. The MUCH lower noise (to zeds) compared to the AS50 enables more flexibilty on where one can use it. If I plan on being relatively mobile, I want the DMR.

The AS50 is a hammer. The perfect rifle for sniping from a static position at long ranegs. The ranges I consider a stretch for the DMR and some of the other scoped rifles, seem like short range for the AS50. 600 meters for the AS50? - practically point blank range for it. The accuracy is incredible. The one hit and it ain't getting up or disconnecting - awesome.

Edited by Double_Back
  • Like 2

I love how loaded the question and post is.

"The best sniper rifle in the game?"

and then the one singular tag next to the question

"DMR"

It's cute.

hello there

IMHO the best sniping weapon is the one you are most comfortable with.

Personally, I'm rather a fan of iron sights over acogs/dots etc in DAYZ.

Also, most servers in DAYZ have such a low viewdistance that using rifles with scopes in the way they are intended is not achieveable.

In ARMA pvp I've recently become a fan of the hi powered tws rifles, but it almost seems a bit too easy with those.

My true favourite since A1 is the MK12 SPR (even though damage is a little nerfed atm) but unfortunately isn't in DAYZ AFAIK.

Rgds

LoK

If it weren't for all the combatlogging, I'd probably go with the SVD. But, until it's "fixed" I'll stick with the AS50.

Really depends on the situation, daytime group play I usually use AS50, night time DMR ofcourse.

I do like using the SVD because of it's classyness though.

Agreed.

I've used both. They are, by a wide margin, my favorite two sniper rifles. The DMR is more versatile. If I could only carry ONE rifle, it would would be the DMR. Of course, in practice, I usually carry two rifles.

Up to 400-500 meters, the DMR is powerfull and accurate. Going beyond 600 meters, it starts to show it's limitations. The DMR allows quick follow up shots if needed. The MUCH lower noise (to zeds) compared to the AS50 enables more flexibilty on where one can use it. If I plan on being relatively mobile, I want the DMR.

The AS50 is a hammer. The perfect rifle for sniping from a static position at long ranegs. The ranges I consider a stretch for the DMR and some of the other scoped rifles, seem like short range for the AS50. 600 meters for the AS50? - practically point blank range for it. The accuracy is incredible. The one hit and it ain't getting up or disconnecting - awesome.

Someone knows what hes talking about! Finally :)

Also i gotta say Random51 is right about the M24, very good and accurate sniper rifle(just the small mag and ROF concerned me a bit) - was my favourite before i could grab onto a AS50 ^^

Personally, I prefer the DMR over any other sniper rifle, for various reasons:

1. The ammo is beyond easy to find, compared to Nato and SVD Dragonuv rounds.

2. It is the only sniper compatible with NVGs--this if not one of, it's THE main reason why it is better than the others.

3. You can fire it as fast as you can spam your mouse button. That way, you can get two or three shots off before your AS50 opposition can even get two off, let alone one.

4. It increases your skill as a marksman-- I was watching Sacriel42's latest video where it was him using an M24. It showed skill, accuracy and knowledge because it is not a one shot kill anywhere on the body, unlike the AS50.

I've used the AS50 at its max range, and I achieved two or three kills at that range. Hell of a shot, but without the one shot kill ability of the AS50, I couldn't have pulled it off. It was too easy, personally.

Of course, there are some cons to the DMR, such as:

1. No zeroing, which makes it harder if you don't know how to use the mildots.

Actually, that's the only con I could think of.

DISCLAIMER: I love the AS50. I love it almost as much as the DMR. If I'm running in the group one of us will ALWAYS have an AS50 for sniping, counter-sniping and to take out vehicles, such as a chopper.

What's your favourite sniper?

EDIT: Did I mention that the DMR is compatible with NVGs? ;D

Fuck you all, I like the DMR. :D

1. I've found three as50's so far, one of them is in use, the other i just kept the ammo... The way i use it (only PvP) i've killed 4 bandits and still have 5 mags and 3 m107 mags, so ammo is not the issue!

2. Possibly a bug, no sniper rifle should be compatible with NVG, unless it's equipped with NV optics!

3. One shot is all it takes if you have a good aim with as50, you won't even get a chance to use your dmr, especially hear/know it's coming!

4. You don't need more than one shot even with dmr (at effective range), if you have "skill"

And was that last sentence necessary?

DMR is obviously the best. It is a 1-2 hit kill and can be used with night vision. No other sniper rifle can do both of these.

Half of my kills with my DMR have been headshots which means instant kill. The others have never disconnected on me. The only person I've had d/c on me in a fight was some guy trying to sneak up on me with an axe until I started blasting him with an AKIM.

DMR has a good range too, if you know how to use it. I've gotten those headshots anywhere from 460m to about 680m (mostly because that's just where I see people).

Though I'm sure the AS50 is an absolute beast, I do enjoy some challenge when sniping. If I can't get a headshot on them then I probably don't deserve the kill anyway.

Edited by Professional N00b
  • Like 1

Right. from a Gaming point of view.

in no order.

As50 - total beast and I will use it as long as it 1 shots.

m107 - will use it only when as50 isn't available.

DMR - will use it ONLY at night when a 50.cal isn't available.

M24 - personally the best weapon available in the game (for me, a camo version would be lovely).

now. if I'd had MY way. the L96a1 is the most accurate gun I've fired, I tried the Cheytac Intervention and that was nice but slightly overpriced for the civi model.

Right. from a Gaming point of view.

in no order.

As50 - total beast and I will use it as long as it 1 shots.

m107 - will use it only when as50 isn't available.

DMR - will use it ONLY at night when a 50.cal isn't available.

M24 - personally the best weapon available in the game (for me, a camo version would be lovely).

now. if I'd had MY way. the L96a1 is the most accurate gun I've fired, I tried the Cheytac Intervention and that was nice but slightly overpriced for the civi model.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/56440-tent-city-location-on-us-1051/

m40a3 in these tents if you really want it.

its hacked ofc, but its identical to the m24 with camo in game

oh shit guys

we have another retard that is comparing real life to a game

guess thats why DayZ was made on ArmA2 and not VBS1/2

Then why did you use the words "real snipers"?

I love how loaded the question and post is.

"The best sniper rifle in the game?"

and then the one singular tag next to the question

"DMR"

It's cute.

;]

And was that last sentence necessary?

No, 'twas redundant.

I'd say the DMR during night and the AS50 during the day. I can fairly easily get 1 shot kills with the DMR at ranges nearing 800 meters. Yesterday I had 3 kills at 700+ meters in just a short while. The AS50 gets it during the day because of range and damage.

everybody and their mother, friends, dog, hitler, zoidberg know that if you log out before using a full clip you get it all back

Only exploiters would use this, that's why I'm recommending such a thing!

Fixed.

Fixed.

i dont get it

how can one person be so retarded

nvm i do, we had a guy on vent for 2 years that was also australian and he was also retarded.

i dont get it

how can one person be so retarded

nvm i do, we had a guy on vent for 2 years that was also australian and he was also retarded.

Oh, that was a good one. You should keep it.

Well, Arma2 wants to be very realistic...BUT he is still wrong.

AM Rifles ARE effective.

<--proof. Just look what that 50cal can do to 3 guys behind a wall...on a mile distance...

Oh what's that? You found a history channel episode about a very uncommon scenario where a marksman just happened to be using an AM rifle? Pllease do explain why the vast, and I do mean vast majority of long range marksman weapons in modern militaries are in the 7.62/.300winmag/.338 caliber? Oh, is it because they have more consistent performance at a distance? Nah bro, couldn't be. The M24 is a >1 MOA rifle, the AM rifle family can never hope for that because that isn't what they were designed for.

It's not a shit gun. I've counter sniped those with AS50's with my DMR with no problem.

How would you know what a real sniper needs?

How would we need what a real sniper needs? IS that a question stepping into realism?

Lets end this quickly.

Any high powered rifle of the "Sniper rifle" Caliber will either kill or incapacitate a person with ONE shot. (Anyone getting hit by a DMR hell even a CZ 550 with no body armor, or actually even with body armor isn't getting up to fight anytime soon in a real life scenario.)

OBVIOUSLY this is a game, so there's some sort of balancing issues they needed to make on guns so that not every weapon will be a 1 shot kill.

Just stick to your IN GAME opinions and lets not try and make sense of gun metrics in dayz compared to real life now shall we?

DMR is obviously the best. It is a 1-2 hit kill and can be used with night vision. No other sniper rifle can do both of these.

It's a 2 shot kill. And with crosshairs and increased gamma, the NVG advantage is meaningless.