Sign in to follow this  
*Scarecrow*

Future of sniping in DayZ

Hello,

last few days I've been thinking about sniping in DayZ and I have some suggestions how to improve it for everybody

At this moment almost everybody is looking for good sniper rifle so he can kill people (who are no threath to him) at long distance. Don't get me wrong, I really love the idea of sniping and I know something about what it takes being a sniper in real life but the sniping in DayZ isn't even close to it and I think it's a pitty.

The real problem is that everybody get some sniper rifle and than just shoot people at sight. But the people who don't enjoy sniping are screwed because they can't defend themselves. And don't tell me that in real life you cant defend yourself, it is not an argument because in real life every second person doesn't carry a sniper rifle. And what is more it is a game and people should enjoy it not be afraid that somebody will probably snipe you in next five minutes. So making absulutely everything as in real life might not be right way.

Another factor is that there are so many sniper rifles on servers (yes, hackers are problem and I know lot of AS50's, M107's etc. are just hacked but I do not want you to solve it right now, I just wan to make suggestion to future to help the game, for example when the game will be stand-alone:)

So in my opinion, the best way to make everyone happy is something like this:

1. Make sniping more realistic.

Now everybody just take a sniper rifle, zero the gun and take the shot. Nothing hard on it so why not use this easy option to kill?

In real life there are many factors that affects the bullet when shooting at long distance and really hit the target is a bit of a challenge.

Factors like wind, bullet drop, bullet spin should be implemented in game so people who really want to hit something with sniper rifle should know them.

2. Sniper rifles should be REALLY hard to find.

At this moment they are pretty much everywhere and even if there aren't hackers I still find about 3-4 sniper rifles every day.

So, I would limit them only to helicopter crash sites for example (of course if you plan have the sites in stand-alone game. I can't imagine how would it be when servers no longer restart so often and crash sites stay at one place all the time) or make them really rare somehow, and the ammo even more. This should be same with some other items related to sniping like rangefinders, (thermal L85 AWS), ghillie suits...

• Like 6

Once the ammo/weapon duping and refilling of mags are fixed, you'll find people using military-grade snipers less and less. Only those who put the effort into finding ammunition and stay alive to keep their weapon will be able to effectively use them. The morons will noob it up, get one between the eyes and won't be able to flee back to their tent for another AS50.

Factors like wind, bullet drop, bullet spin should be implemented in game so people who really want to hit something with sniper rifle should know them.

Err at least two of those factors are implemented in Arma 2 by default. Maybe wind is as well although it might not be synced up for all clients.

Now everybody just take a sniper rifle, zero the gun and take the shot. Nothing hard on it so why not use this easy option to kill?

In real life there are many factors that affects the bullet when shooting at long distance and really hit the target is a bit of a challenge.

You should contact Bohemia Interactive about that.

Bullet drop already exists, which is why the zeroing is there to compensate. (And according to what you said, you should know that it exists in real life as well.) But Rocket, the developer, cannot add bullet spin and wind into the game. Those elements are not a part of the ARMA 2 engine. They are impossible to implement.

Edit; Actually wind does exist, forgot about that. I have no idea why it isn't in DayZ. Probably to reduce lag.

Edit2; Wind is only simulated in Singleplayer. It doesn't seem to appear in multiplayer at all. So nevermind my first edit.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1

You must be one lucky guy. I have been searching for more rifles for days and almost never find them, they are definitely more rare than assault rifles. And if I find one more M104 shottie at NWA I'm going to freak out XD

Well, from what I know, Rocket is now working with Bohemia Interactive so it shouldn't be problem if I post it only here:) The bullet drop is in game as you say, I was just pointing out some examples...

GummyWyrm: I am not lucky at all, I just scout through map and it is not really hard to find crashed helicopters if you have vehicle and on crash sites you almost everytime find some sniper rifles:)

Edited by *Scarecrow*

Hello,

last few days I've been thinking about sniping in DayZ and I have some suggestions how to improve it for everybody

At this moment almost everybody is looking for good sniper rifle so he can kill people (who are no threath to him) at long distance. Don't get me wrong, I really love the idea of sniping and I know something about what it takes being a sniper in real life but the sniping in DayZ isn't even close to it and I think it's a pitty.

The real problem is that everybody get some sniper rifle and than just shoot people at sight. But the people who don't enjoy sniping are screwed because they can't defend themselves. And don't tell me that in real life you cant defend yourself, it is not an argument because in real life every second person doesn't carry a sniper rifle. And what is more it is a game and people should enjoy it not be afraid that somebody will probably snipe you in next five minutes. So making absulutely everything as in real life might not be right way.

Another factor is that there are so many sniper rifles on servers (yes, hackers are problem and I know lot of AS50's, M107's etc. are just hacked but I do not want you to solve it right now, I just wan to make suggestion to future to help the game, for example when the game will be stand-alone:)

At this moment they are pretty much everywhere and even if there aren't hackers I still find about 3-4 sniper rifles every day.

So, I would limit them only to helicopter crash sites for example (of course if you plan have the sites in stand-alone game. I can't imagine how would it be when servers no longer restart so often and crash sites stay at one place all the time) or make them really rare somehow, and the ammo even more. This should be same with some other items related to sniping like rangefinders, (thermal L85 AWS), ghillie suits...

First off you have to range your target to zero effectively and a lot of snipers/wannabe snipers cant do that efficiently. Secondly Adding in spin drift and trajectory plus then having to do trig to account for elevated and lowered positions is too much for a game. Don't get me wrong it would absolutely make it more difficult and add a more realistic aspect to sniping but there are other things as well that could be implemented that wouldn't make it impossible to snipe effectively. I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps to include 3 as a Scout Sniper, over 6 months training and work ups for pumps and still it is extremely difficult to be an effective sniper. You seriously think it would be fair to make this game so hard to snipe in that only real snipers could do it?> Come on man its a f*king game

Edited by Acix
  • Like 3

Almost everybody has rangefinders atm, so it is not hard. For example removing them completely would be nice, but I doubt people will be be open to this.

It really might be to much for a game and if you have other ideas how to limit sniping I am all ears but the current sniping is something what this game really doesn't need.

@Acix

Sniper rifles are the deadliest weapons in the game with the longest range and pinpoint accuracy.

But...making players have to actually deal with the consequences of choosing the weapon would be too much....?

(No wonder the weapons in this game are so ridiculous.)

@Acix

Sniper rifles are the deadliest weapons in the game with the longest range and pinpoint accuracy.

But...making players have to actually deal with the consequences of choosing the weapon would be too much....?

(No wonder the weapons in this game are so ridiculous.)

Snipers are the most deadly weapon on the battlefield period... huge force multiplier... making it harder to snipe effectively may be excessive but lessening the amount they spawn and making the ammo more scarce that would be acceptable, just making it so anyone that doesnt understand all the math involved can't even have a chance at long range engagements is a bit much IMHO.

You seriously think it would be fair to make this game so hard to snipe in that only real snipers could do it?> Come on man its a f*king game

1. All of that already exists in the singleplayer. It's definitely not too much for a game.

2. It's a MILITARY SIMULATOR.

• Like 1

1. All of that already exists in the singleplayer. It's definitely not too much for a game.

2. It's a MILITARY SIMULATOR.

wow youre right. there isnt enough broken shit in the game to warrant that stuff being fixed first, how about we allow people to dig ranger graves and snipe from in cover too... add cammie netting so youre really concealed. allow moddable rifles and silence-able sniper rifles as well. add all that then throw in wind variables and heavier spindrift based on the round and the rifle, allow for more accurate wind gauges at 1/2, 1/4 and full value then we can all be happy

This is exactly what I suggested on the suggestion page in my signature.

I added link to your post there.

Sniping in DayZ is too easy, but in reality not everyone can become a sniper...

wow youre right. there isnt enough broken shit in the game to warrant that stuff being fixed first, how about we allow people to dig ranger graves and snipe from in cover too... add cammie netting so youre really concealed. allow moddable rifles and silence-able sniper rifles as well. add all that then throw in wind variables and heavier spindrift based on the round and the rifle, allow for more accurate wind gauges at 1/2, 1/4 and full value then we can all be happy

Have you played ace2 for arma2? I think the changes they do to snipers would be prefectly fine.

1. Once the duping problems get fixed, the HIVE needs to be wiped.

2. The only sniper that fits in with the theme of the mod IMO is the CZ, so cut the rest.

3. Since so many hill campers will be furious with point 2, just take the chances of finding all snipers (minus the CZ) and halve them.

• Like 2

Honestly, I personally would love if that happened.

I'm not posting this to troll you. I'm serious.

• Like 1

One thing I'd like to mention is a lot of the so-called 'snipers' in this game really don't earn their namesake. They spawn/dupe themselves an AS50 and operate at 200-400m range. At such close range you can zero for 300m and be guaranteed to hit somewhere on their body, due to there being virtually zero bullet drop at that range. The AS50 sniper on my team operates at the very edge of his draw distance, which is on average 650-700m. Fun story, he has the longest average lifespan of our entire team, he's a stone killer even in close quarters, and even he has to take more than one shot sometimes, because bullet drop is a real thing at that distance.

Using the other sniper weapons actually requires skill. Both the DMR and SVD require that you know the range pretty damn accurately, and then have to eyeball your bullet drop using the mildots/chevrons. The CZ and M24 have zeroing, but have tiny clips and still require you to compensate your aim unless they're an exact multiple of 100m away from you. What's more, your target is rarely stationary, and it takes a lot of practise to get leading right, even with a .50. I think Scarecrow is suffering a combination of spending too much time in Elektro, and standing still in the wrong places.

Hello,

You can't really change this for specifically Day Z, it would have to be put into ArmA 2.

Yeah, the sniper rifles are really, really common, relatively. In the last few days alone, my and my friend have gotten our grubby mits on two AS50's, and three M107's.

• Like 1

Dude you left out hand loads, we need to be able to create better ammo this bulk Nato 7 is garbage....

Joking aside once possesion rates get back to where spawn rates should have them at and hoping is removed you will see far fewer *Fancy* guns. So Acix is right, fix the systems that cause the problems before you introduce new systems to fix your problems.

• Like 1

well. since the CZ is a hunting rifle. it should be the most common weapon found at deerstands. (unless there is a good backstory to it. for example if the military used the deerstands as a means to control the infection)

all other snipers should be super rare. since sniper training is really hard to get through, it should make sense that there was not many snipers to control the infection (snipers would also be waste of power in zombie wars since the best weapons against zombies is automatic weapons)

I think Scarecrow is suffering a combination of spending too much time in Elektro, and standing still in the wrong places.

I am not at all. I didn't write this topic because snipers are killing me. I enjoy sniping and my current character is alive for almost week now but even if I am sniping, those things are pretty easy and I would really like to make it more realistic.

EDIT: But it is true I have few friends who enjoy running whit assault rifles through major cities and the snipers are pissing them. If there was few sniper than it wouldn't be a problem but now it is like everybody playing "sniper".

DMR and SVD are only sniper rifles that requires some skill because you can't zero them, others have zeroing but if they want to keep weapons real they must keep that. The zeroing is something what is necessery for rifles like M24, AS50, M107 and I understand but the bullet trajectory itself is ridiculous.

You can't really change this for specifically Day Z, it would have to be put into ArmA 2.

I've got a feeling that all those things are in singleplayer.

his solution is emporary after everybody understands it then it will be the same =]

It is not temporary, do you think that all "so called snipers" you can see these days, will be willing to learn how it really works? I'd say most of them won't.

Also if you limit the spawn of rifles, mags and solve hackers than it is something what must work.

Edited by *Scarecrow*

First off, I think you know nothing about guns at all, to zero in a rifle you have to estmate the distance and set the zeroing to the distance from you to the target, also the reason why there is zeroing, is because of bullet drop, so i dont know why you listed that as a factor to take note of, because it is clearly already in the game.

As for bullet spin, it is called rifling, now rifling is the barrel which has grooves in it which when the bullet is fired, it spins the bullet, this is called rifling. Rifling, keeps the bullet steady and accurate. Every single weapon in the world (excluding muskets and cannons) have rifling. So whats your point on rifling in DayZ?? It's already in the game.

One thing I do agree on is wind, but ofcourse wind changes directions and then everyone would have to change alot of shit around, and the Devs of DayZ cannot do this, only BIS can. So you should probobally make a forum post over there instead of here becaues your wasting your time.

And lastly, have you actually shot people with a sniper rifle yet? Because it's not as easy as you think, all that work using your mildots trying to estimate the range, or have you just been killed over and over again and complaining on the forums because you think they're OP?

Edited by koze