Gert-Jan

i'm new and i get killed by everyone, even when i say FRIENDLY PLAYER in the chat screen.

Unarmed players can be known to hide their weapons until you look away, or are bandit bait.

damnit camper snipers!

got killed from 1k with sniper.

after i got my pack full of beans, pepsi and fresh meat.

just got out of the tower at green mountain on my way to Pogorevka.

my map, watch all that stuff lost, again, to a hiding kid with a sniper rifle.

at least i had some days as a survivor avoiding every one.

us1656 u fcking kids have fun with my bean up your ass!

weapons were useless noob junk

not killing UN ARMED players should be a rule in this mod, i'm sick and tired of people shooting me if i do not even have any gear left because of a bug that made a zombie wound me from distance.

after zombie attack i use a bandage to stop bleeding and pain killers.

So if i get killed who's gonna use my empty gear?? wtf...

i found some axes, only to be shot after i stand up leaving the area around a village. got shot for what? having a fckn axe?

sometimes there is an ax in a log but i cannot pick it up? why have stuf like that in the mod if u can't use them??? fckn get rid of that!

i walk around for hours and gain nothing but being shot by someone in a ghilly suit, what's the point in playing this mod with this shit going on?

Not killing ME should be a rule in this game. ;> I hate to admit it, but right now I'm way too attached to my gear :'< :D

not killing UN ARMED players should be a rule in this mod, i'm sick and tired of people shooting me if i do not even have any gear left because of a bug that made a zombie wound me from distance.

after zombie attack i use a bandage to stop bleeding and pain killers.

So if i get killed who's gonna use my empty gear?? wtf...

i found some axes, only to be shot after i stand up leaving the area around a village. got shot for what? having a fckn axe?

sometimes there is an ax in a log but i cannot pick it up? why have stuf like that in the mod if u can't use them??? fckn get rid of that!

i walk around for hours and gain nothing but being shot by someone in a ghilly suit, what's the point in playing this mod with this shit going on?

Those axes you see in the logs can't be picked up. They're part of the scenery. The only hatchets that can be looted are those found on the ground.

PVP and banditry is, unfortunately, a necessary evil in this game. It adds another layer of action and tension to it, otherwise it's just a co-op zombie sandbox.

Shooting unarmed players is frowned upon but it does happen. Jerks who are overly geared and bored will often head to the coastal towns and cities to kill new players. A lot of unfair deaths do happen in this game, it's just something you have to accept. I've been killed so many times when I've been unarmed, but if you get angry each time then you'll never have fun playing this game.

Join unpopulated servers with like 15 people or less. Keep your head down, don't approach or make yourself known to players with bandit skins or who are considerably better armed than you are.

Check houses, churches and barns for sidearms. If you're feeling like taking a risk, try to hit a firehouse, military tents or even an airfield as that's where most of the military weapons are.

Deer stands CAN have good loot in them, but not always. Sometimes they just spawn ammo rather than guns, and there's always a chance that someone's just been and looted it a few minutes before you.

Don't get deterred by all the griefers and bandits who KoS, there's a lot out there, but there's also a lot of friendly players out there too.

Unfortunately Dayz has more in common with "The Hunger Games" than any Zombie film or TV series. It is everyone for themselves and just happens to have zombies around to be a pest. It's a bit of a shame as its the closest thing to a perfect zombie apocalypse game that I've ever played, but you just have to learn to accept that absolutely no one on any server can be trusted (not even those that you arranged to team up with beforehand I've found from time to time, lol).

Perhaps in the future some servers could have a "red vs blue" team element implemented in which survivors cannot shoot other survivors, and bandits cannot shoot bandits, but both can shoot members of the other "team" (every other rule including random spawns remains the same). Of course, then it might just deteriorate into another version of World War II Online. I'm not sure there will ever be a zombie game that truly reflects the feeling of the films and TV shows.

There are no owners in DayZ, only holders. Heres my best piece of advice. You know all that gear you found? Accept that you're going to loose it at any moment after getting it. If you don't like that i reccomend control panel and remove program as a potential fix to your frustrations. But a better one is learning how to deal with players and survive.

As for players if you're unarmed, scream friendly and run up to them you're putting yourself at their mercy. Get a gun (even a weak one to balance to sitation), scope them out, keep a distance, stay out of their direct line of sight (to their side, or behind) never run in front of someone/turn you're back. There are many friendly experiences to be had.

Unfortunately Dayz has more in common with "The Hunger Games" than any Zombie film or TV series. It is everyone for themselves and just happens to have zombies around to be a pest. It's a bit of a shame as its the closest thing to a perfect zombie apocalypse game that I've ever played, but you just have to learn to accept that absolutely no one on any server can be trusted (not even those that you arranged to team up with beforehand I've found from time to time, lol).

Unfortunately? DayZ and Hunger Games are examples of the nature state, and DayZ is not unfortunate in sharing similarties. There are no social bonds between people (though hunger games isn't stricly an exmaple of the nature state). When you remove social contacts and institutionalised bonds between individuals life becomes "nasty, brutish and short". Zombies are and would be just one consideration. DayZ is actually the most perfect realisation of a Zombie Film/TV scenario to date. Zomibes are a threat to surival but just one of many, the others are nature and the other man (though i think it is incorrect to seperate those two).

Perhaps in the future some servers could have a "red vs blue" team element implemented in which survivors cannot shoot other survivors, and bandits cannot shoot bandits, but both can shoot members of the other "team" (every other rule including random spawns remains the same). Of course, then it might just deteriorate into another version of World War II Online. I'm not sure there will ever be a zombie game that truly reflects the feeling of the films and TV shows.

This would destroy the feeling of DayZ but at least you pointed that out! And DayZ standalone will be another game to look for. Edited by Trizzo

DayZ is actually the most perfect realisation of a Zombie Film/TV scenario to date. Zomibes are a threat to surival but just one of many, the others are nature and the other man (though i think it is incorrect to seperate those two).

I agree it is the closest to being a perfect realization, but I personally can't remember a zombie film or tv scenario in which every human tried to kill every other human they saw. :)

Game requires thick skin.

This should be added to the system requirements. Just sayin.

• Like 1

This should be added to the system requirements. Just sayin.

it should.

another thing the MOD itself requires:

Giggling kids when killed by sniper rifle from the other side of the map...

Hello Gert-Jan. Good luck with playing dayz. There are lots of friendly players who won't kill you but it's best to get to know them here first before meeting them in game. It is frustrating when you die, so it's best not to get used to having lots of stuff. Just enjoy every moment, as it might be your last. :thumbsup: :beans:

I had a map, that showed some players moving around a town in pairs in my direction. (i was checking my path up north and it showed orange dots)

they just let me be and go.

So there are tactical team players who do not kill on sight.

until i got spotted by some kid with an elephant gun and 30x zoom, able to kill a zigzagging player in the woods, while lying prone on mars.

:P

damnit

Hmmmm.. I wonder if I should take it as a true challenge to MAKE A FRIEND on a SERVER.

Now that would be a real challenge.

Been thinking of some ways that could be potentially safe.

Like going to one of those buildings that's kinda like a metal barn, with the stairs and the walkway up next to the windows and nothing else. Then barricading the other door so there's only one entrance. Planting a tent outside so I can see it from the window.

Then, when someone would come close, I could shout out that there's a friendly inside. And if he wants to join me, he must leave his weapons in the tent and come inside. If he doesn't and comes inside, it'd be easy to gun him down coming in from the only door.

That plan only backfires if they happen to have a satchel charge and decide to blow the whole building up :|

I honestly don't know what could be done to make the game less like "just another deathmatch game" which is what it is turning into. Right now you could remove all the zombies from the game and players would still be killing each other on sight because of the survival aspect of the game. The zombies have almost nothing to do with the game now, which I'm sure is not what Rocket intended.

PvP damage should really be optional in server settings so that there can be servers for people who just want to team up and survive together.

All well and dandy if there were other significant risks but really without pvp the game is a snooze fest after a couple of days.

PvP damage should really be optional in server settings so that there can be servers for people who just want to team up and survive together.

That'd be good for newbies at least, yeah. But for a server like that to actually stay somewhat interesting for a longer time, we'd need waay more zombies or at least some solid objectives/missions to co-op, as it is true that the zombies alone don't provide enough threat. So there's no real need to band together and fight the real enemy as of now.

But yeah, just played on RP2, a "roleplaying server" and during my 70 hours on public servers I never saw a friendly (unless he was from the forums and we met up) and now, during the 3 hours I played on their server, I saw 4 separate people on foot, came to close contact with 3 of em and talked, saw a jeep and an Ural drive right next to me and they didn't even try driving over me :I

As a thank you I left 2 Jerry Cans I had found on the side of the road, incase they came back. Later on when I checked, at least the Jerries were gone.

One guy did get the drop on me and told me to stop - I complied. Asked me if I'm alone etc... then didn't wanna rob anything from me as I really had nothing really valuable (just basic stuff) so he told me to run along. Safe to say he still pwned me and I didn't have to revert back an hour of progress to the coast.

Now that's what I mean. It was awesome to play with people who play fair and aren't out to piss everyone off. And also awesome that it wasn't a suicide to head towards the sound of vehicles or sound of other humans. Felt way more like a real zombie apocalypse, when the whole world doesn't feel like it's filled with psychomurderers, but actual survivors.

Edited by sarcasm83

PvP is part of the game, adapt or die

Hang in there mate. The mod has a very steep learning curve and is primarily a PVP experience. The best advice i can give you is to learn how to best kill/avoid players. Group content will come in time, but for now this is paramount to surviaval in dayz. Go to cherno/elektro, get yourself a gun, and start hunting for troublemakers. Im a bandit myself but i only kill those that pose a threat, or could offer me that bit of gear im missing. I NEVER kill unarmed players. Judge anyone with a weapon as hostile and deal with them accordingly, before they deal with you.

Lets play the Which Moderator Was Most Helpful game

• Like 1

fck u sniping script kiddie on DE397 for ruining hours of my day!

u fckn camping auto aim bstrd..!

'DayZ anti hax" my ass!

finaly having a good time playing DayZ after several times i died by being unlucky or script kiddies.

but sure, there's some kid who kills me in second's after he saw 2 pixels of my character... from the other side of chernogorsk with some sniper rifle. did not hear the shots.

evaded everything for nothing..

I respawn at coast and get attacked by a Zombie instantly!

not gonna play any more for a while, see what the SA is gonna bring us... more hackers after 1 week if realeased?

• Like 1

PvP is a huge part of DayZ, if you don't like it there's not much point in playing the game.

tonight i played on a server without many ppl, spawned a new charactor, managed to get a hatchet amongst a group of zombies and was able to make a run for it after taking some damage. stayed in the woods but followed some roads in hopes to find a town, after 30 min to an hour finally came into elektro... by this time it was pitch black dark at night, and someone ran right up behind me and started talking to me, i guess him and his buddy saw i just had a flash light and decided to help. got killed in a zombie fight, and i guess they came back to find me... guy said he usually shoots on site but his buddy wanted to help me out :) they took me on a car ride to get some weapons, i accidentally stole some stuff out the car (the inventory system is this game is ridiculous lol), got booted from the server for cussing too much, then rejoined hoping theyd still be there so i could explain that im just a noob dumb ass and didnt mean to steal there car parts and canned food lol (i seriously dont remember clicking on any of that stuff but the server was bugging out a little as well, who knows). so i lost my trust immediately with them but i think they figured i was innocent enough, and gave me the option to get dropped off after returning the items i took (without knowing lol) or shoot me in the head. i took option 1 of course, had one of them take the stuff out my backpack i 'stole' (i thought i was dropping it on the ground but that wasnt working out as i thought), told them how much of a retard i felt like, got dropped off by a bus in need of a tire but otherwise in good shape, and they took off LOL... they were both decked out in night vision and mad weapons as well, bandit masks on the whole shabang. so i dont think EVERYONE out there is all evil, i probably could have ended up grouping with them if i didnt still suck balls at this game LOL, but hey i was still spared my life and have a nice m16 and a few clips to rock with next time i play :) shout out to Hawkeye and his friend, those guys kick ass

Pretty much the only friendly people I've ever encountered in DayZ are people who have hacked all their gear (so they end up being friendly because they already have everything they want/need). All legit players tend to shoot on sight. DayZ has developed into COD with a mountain of glitches and slow gameplay, and without some kind of incentive to group up with other players that's all it will ever be (even when it goes standalone).

Looks like most of the ppl forget one main introduction about this game, havent play it yet just waiting for standalone to buy it but it goes something like this

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

I don't trust "friendlies" anymore. I've been shot in the back too many times because i trusted someone yelling "friendly". Even the unarmed ones either suddenly whip out an axe and chop you, or better yet: lure you in to an area where he has buddies just waiting to snipe anyone dumb enough to trust their bait.

So yes, i shoot on sight on anyone i don't know in real life, unarmed or not. 3 months of taking shots in the back does that for you.

after all these people who answered your question with helpful words you can also stay calm... everybody has been sniped multiple times, died because of bugs/glitchy items, if you can't stand this, go play something else like you say. i suggest you to hang around the big towns untill you die. do only pvp, kill everybody with every weapon you find, learn the pvp action, then you can go back to your deerstands