Sign in to follow this  
murhis

Two things that MUST change!

I really do like DayZ and undoubtedly it has taken a great toll of my playing time. But there's two things which are nearly ruining the motivation to play it and which I think should be addressed at top priority. I know these points I'm about to say has been mentioned here before in multiple different threads. But I really want to put extra weight on these two, because they are maybe _THE_ most important changes to make.

1) Teleport wars

Describtion: Aka. Disconnecting at the server A, connecting to the server B, relocating your position at the server B and then connecting to the server A again. OR just simply disconnecting to avoid consequences, like getting eaten by Zeds, shot... etc.

I've faced this countless times in my PvP encounters and I confess I have done this also myself by the purpose. Haters blaming the player for doing wrong, but I can tell you it's naive to whine for others to do so when it's generally a feature of the game. You can disconnect and you can connect to the other server and both of those "features" are completely legit and they doesn't require any knowledge of exploitism. Like pressing specific keys in certain order etc.

Like here is an example: You know the Berezino military camp and those 3 multistore buildings at south of it. Sniper watching the military camp from one of the buildings windows. Then you spot him from a very long distance with your binocs/rangefinder and you don't have the firepower to shoot him from that far and you can't cross the opening unless you flank it(if you know the Berezino it's a long run). So what this bright guy will do is he will disconnect and find an empty server where he is able to cross the opening and relocate himself behind the sniper to the other room at the very same building. Next thing is he will connect to the server and move silently(tapping forward doesn't make any sound) behind the sniper and the threat is about to get removed.

I have seen this scenario myself with my own eyes. It's unrelevant whether I was on the delivering or receiving side. The point is it's completely possible and top of all, easy.

At this point somebody might say that servers are outlawing such manuevers, but honestly first of all on most of the servers you are anonymous player killing anonymous players and secondly even if you somehow would get banned whatsoever there's thousand of other servers where to play and the damage is done anyway. Those rules simply doesn't work. Not a single admin has time to check thousands and thousands whines about people disconnecting "wrong". There must be a fix in the system itself to prevent this.

So there is basically two entities to fix easily. Preventing server hopping and preventing the insta disconnect. Both of those shouldn't be too hard to implement I'd guess?

Lets start with server hopping. That should be easy. Though you must remember one thing that sometimes people just want to search for a server they like and I don't think it's necessary to punish them for such. Like if you want to play in a server which has a day time and those timezones on the title are most of the time wrong. So the only thing which basically needs to get penalized is the server hopping from A to B and back to A. Like 15 minutes connect timer would certainly prevent this teleport war completely. For playing later on the same server the extra connect timer could decay like in 1 hour.

Then the prevention for the insta disconnect. This should be even easier. Either just make an adequate disconnect timer(5 seconds is certainly not!). OR make two kind of flags for the disconnect. First one would be a basic disconnect, it could be this 5 seconds suggested by DayZ. Second one would be the one which would get triggered if you would either shoot/hear shots or aggro zeds and it would mean a longer disconnect timer. Lets say like 1 minute and it would reset if you would cancel the disconnect. This extra DC toll could get decayed like the server hopping timer. Perhaps after 10 minutes. These times are just examples.

Then there's a last remaining ingredient to fix this problem "once for all". Like in my mentioned example there's still a very big problem when you are able to "teleport" behind the enemy. Even if the system would be able to prevent the people in the same server to do so, it's still unable to prevent the people who are not yet connected to the server and perhaps have the knowledge of the enemy in the specific house. Like the one guy who is in the same voip and who is about to join to the same server. SO there's only one reasonable prevention for this and it's to prevent completely spawning/disconnecting on the loot areas or at their close proximity. Yeah you could still spawn to bush X which could be behind the sniper Y, but it's still a far much better. If you have a better idea be my guest.

So basically you have to be at the specific distance to disconnect and even if you would somehow getting DC'ed at "no no" spawn area the server should record your last position where you were at the disconnect area and you would spawn from there when you spawn next time.

Then to the second problem which is not just ruining PvP, but the whole game's economy.

2) Duping items and save function

Describtion: Tents and vehicles duping items after the server restart when they are not saved.

New tents doesn't work and old ones duping items, sounds familiar? This is a VERY big problem. Like our crew currently have more than abundant supplies of everything you could possibly need, like dozens of NVGs, GPS and all other top tier stuff. Honestly I would more than happily give all them away if this system would get changed. All this rapid increase of your economy takes is to write enemy tents locations up. Like XXX-XXX Enemy tent (Server A), B and C and then just loot them at daily basis. OR if you are a bigger crook you can just plant items you want to duplicate in these tents -> save -> loot the duplicates after the restart. This is so blatantly wrong.

I dunno if the fix could be easy as making the "save the..." function automatic everytime you shuffle the contents? Because everytime you save them they seem to stay, but if you don't save the contents will stay as the same as before the restart. But either way this problem must get addressed quickly... please.

My zed cents.. dig, hate, discuss!

Edited by murhis
  • Like 1

Your first point cannot be changed at all, it would require editing the actual game code which would effect all of arma, it does ruin the game but its something you need to live with until the standalone version is released.

Point 2: This might be able to be changed but its still a minor issue in comparison to the others, a few guys have legit items that were copied over, you can still only use 1 gun at a time and carry a certain amount of ammo anyway, personally I say fix the zombies first.

first point can change :P

Just add a timer in the hive and the last visit server of player, if DC->other server->old server let him freeze about 15minutes in "Waiting for charakter to create" menu

• Like 2

Point 2: This might be able to be changed but its still a minor issue in comparison to the others, a few guys have legit items that were copied over, you can still only use 1 gun at a time and carry a certain amount of ammo anyway, personally I say fix the zombies first.

Actually you can carry two primary weapons and a side-arm with plenty of ammo for all guns.

Though you'll be needing a Coyote backpack to carry enough food/water/med. supplies to live.

Your first point cannot be changed at all, it would require editing the actual game code which would effect all of arma, it does ruin the game but its something you need to live with until the standalone version is released.

How come DayZ have mentioned the "disconnect timer" in the first place then?

Minor? Even if you are only able to carry 1 weapon and certain amount of other items, but have you thought if you die you are still able to get these same high tier items without any more effort than getting them from your hidden caches which could be spread all over the different servers? OR have you thought that with that duping you are able to arm an army? Literally... As example we could arm a platoon sized crew with all kind of goodies with ease... Besides is it fun that everybody has everything? It's a MAJOR problem and zombies being little dumb or having a bad animations are far from its seriousness.

Just add a timer in the hive and the last visit server of player, if DC->other server->old server let him freeze about 15minutes in "Waiting for charakter to create" menu

Exactly I doubt it's just "YOU CAN'T". All it's need is a little bit more creativity.

I do really enjoy the persistent part of this game. but being able to meta-game and move round enemies risk free is bad, and people that do this should feel bad!

My fix to this does require a little tweaking and does break the persistant nature of the game a little but IMO is the fairest way to prevent this sort of behaviour. Servers should save positions of players locally and the inventories need to go to the DayZ servers, this way you don't lose your stuff but your position where you logged off on a particular server is saved to that server. Jumping into another server to move wouldn't affect your position on the last server you were on. Tents and stored gear should still be saved to the DayZ server though. So you and your squad( if you have one) know where to meet up.

This also has the effect of minimising the Alt F4 trick, they can disconnect and save themselves but there's nothing preventing the attackers from forming up around the point where you logged off and waiting patiently for your return.

TL:DR

Keep Inventories Persitent, Across all servers. Keep position info server specific.

fucking genius this is the best idea ive heard yet

Server-bound characters. But this will only work if there would be (huge) server hosted by the dayz devs themselves cause it would suck if you play you character over several weeks and then the server admin decides to quit the game and shuts the server down.

They both need fixing for sure.

Picked up a tent and logged out later when i logged back in the tent duped itself in my active inventory. I lost mp5sd mags lol.

you seriously bumping this thread?

obviously this is a problem, but i'm sure Rocket's thinking; "nah, let's just let those things slide"

have you not heard DayZ is being released as an official standalone game? these will be fixed but DayZ cant do it yet because of the restrictions it faces as a mod. why would problems like this be fixed now when they can be fixed with more ease later. the game is being built dude, not polished. read before you talk or you're just the village idiot

Edited by Haplo

read before you talk or you're just the village idiot

*facepalm* ... perhaps a person with such a hostile attitude fits better for your "village idiot". Seriously sometimes it's just better not to post or at least think a second before doing so. Yes I'm seriously bumping this thread because it's a very serious issue imo and it disappears quite fast below suggestions like babies in dayz. It was not an intention to pee on your breakfast bowl. Geez...

Edited by murhis

they do disappear fast. into the large variety of other spammed threads which are reposted every day. i generally don't have a hostile attitude. though i try and maintain my composure on the internet, sometimes i can't hold back any longer. you just pulled the short straw, and i'm sorry i offended you.

if you think this post disappears quickly, when the subject has been beaten to death already. how many good original ideas are lost, which would make nice additions to the game or change something for the better.

this has been said, many, many times, which is not going to change the priorities in the direction of this mod. you couldn't even find a thread like this which already exists and add your opinions to that, creating perhaps a constructive discussion. but that would still add to the forementioned problem (and doesn't help, WE ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THIS)

(and doesn't help, WE ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THIS)

In other words you are basically saying that whole suggestion forum is useless? OR you just should stfu till the game is ready, everything will be fine just you wait... NO... At least I tried and put some sort of effort to have my concern heard. Instead of just calling others "village idiots". Think about it how much better place this forum would be if people would actually stick to the subject rather than nitpicking or arguing about completely unrelevant points(which ironically both of us doing as we speak...). I know it's utopia. Still dude if you don't have anything to add, don't post it. Please. Meanwhile I hope there will be a better DayZ tomorrow. :D

how do you not understand? these are problems with will be fixed, but spamming threads like this to "raise awareness" or whatever you're trying to do won't speed up the process, and is ultimately detrimental to the forum.

perhaps you should follow your own advice:

"If you don't have anything to add, don't post it. please"

• Like 1

I believe what Haplo meant to say was, "USE THE DAMN SEARCH FUNCTION"

There is a pinned thread that tells you, OP, to do this before you post up a thread. This has been discussed many times, and in many parts of the forum. if you want to get your voice out there, next time start by bumping threads you agree to, or giving your beans (+1, like, whatever you see it as) to the person you agree with.

And on topic, THESE ISSUES WILL BE FIXED. It is going to happen. And combat logging, or ghosting (disconnecting to avoid death, or disconnecting and reconnecting to get an advantage) are EXPLOITS, and can get you banned. Not just from the server, but the HIVE, which means no more DayZ for you.

how do you not understand? these are problems with will be fixed, but spamming threads like this to "raise awareness" or whatever you're trying to do won't speed up the process, and is ultimately detrimental to the forum.

Detrimental? LOL. Will be fixed by what fact? I don't see any road map to say such thing. All I have seen is mentioning about 5 seconds DC timer. It is hardly a spamming when I made a clear case with examples why it's a very serious issue. Valid topic in other words, I'd guess. I really don't understand this hatred.

I believe what Haplo meant to say was, "USE THE DAMN SEARCH FUNCTION"

Which I did. But I don't necromance months old topics which are somehow relevant. I think it's a normal practice? This wasn't just about DC to avoid death.

And on topic, THESE ISSUES WILL BE FIXED.

Again says where? And when? Or who you are to say such?

It is going to happen. And combat logging, or ghosting (disconnecting to avoid death, or disconnecting and reconnecting to get an advantage) are EXPLOITS, and can get you banned. Not just from the server, but the HIVE, which means no more DayZ for you.

Hardly believe. I really doubt you would ban somebody with shady evidence that somebody disconnected and reconnected to change his position? Besides I don't think not a single admin has such power or top of all time to investigate such incidents or actually convince DayZ staff to actually ban you from the whole game because you disconnected and reconnected?!? Comon get real.