Sign in to follow this  
Kashus

One thing I would like to see removed from the game: NVGs

Feeling safe with NVGs? That's probably what all the fools with NVGs that I snipe at NW Airfield think when they are walking in the middle of the hangars

Gee you camp and shoot people, you're such a cool guy

no really everyone gets shot at NWAF regardless of gear that's a thing that happens

I play day and night servers, but if I log in to a night-time server with absolutely no moonlight then, more often than not, I simply can't be arsed. If I found a pair of NVGs I'd still play both day and night servers, but I'd be much less likely to immediately log out of a night-time one.

Part of the problem is that I'm using an LCD monitor that has a much, much higher contrast than most so, unlike most people with an LCD, I actually see something close to black instead of differing shades of grey (the flip-side is that my white brightness is also lighter, making moonlit nights look amazing and clear). Trust me, it's impossible to see anything,and I refuse to cheat with my contrast.

Thanks for the reply, I can see your reasoning. Night should be improved in the standalone, so it should be interesting to see how the game play will be. You have my beans.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, I can see your reasoning. Night should be improved in the standalone, so it should be interesting to see how the game play will be. You have my beans.

Yeah, I agree. If what was said about Rocket's comment on the level of darkness is true, then I hope the night time is not so dark in the standalone version, as it currently stands though NVGs are quite a nifty toy to have (just like any convenience item in the game, like compasses and binocs, or nice weapons).

This is actually a really good idea.

Although, only take them out when they have fixed it so that you can have a flashlight out WITHOUT dropping your pistol.

This is actually a really good idea.

Although, only take them out when they have fixed it so that you can have a flashlight out WITHOUT dropping your pistol.

So true, I don't know why we can't do this with our secondary weapon/sidearm:

34ffmro.jpg

Edit: And, while I'm talking about sidearms, Rocket plz gief us tomahawks or handaxes for melée sidearm. :)

Edited by Ulfhedjinn
  • Like 1

Agreeing with this. I've used NVGs and the game becomes easymode against players and zeds.

Maybe they could mod the flashlight to be one of those chest ones or being able to use it along with a gun, tho.

G17, Pistol has a flashlight attachment, Or a CCO rifle, flashlights are attached on a few weapons.

So true, I don't know why we can't do this with our secondary weapon/sidearm:

34ffmro.jpg

Edit: And, while I'm talking about sidearms, Rocket plz gief us tomahawks or handaxes for melée sidearm. :)

or this with 2 pistols or shotguns

big_rgun-123.gif

Buffjesus: That was me one night, using muzzle flash to find an item I dropped because I had no flashlight/flares/chemlights. :D

There's a video I watched earlier today of the new lighting engine in Arma 3. It looks really good! They even demo the night mode in it.

I was pretty happy when I finally got killed and they took my NVGs. They were a blessing and a curse, but more of a curse because I became dependent on them. Game is more atmospheric on medium gamma.

Buzzing the NW airfield and Electro on a motorcycle with NVG's on, watching the other players scatter as I agro the zombies = good fun.

Don't think I've seen a more bad idea in all my days....

I personally like playing at night time, not in the darkest of night, although I have played in servers like that before.

I like to play on servers where there is still a pinch of moonlight so I can see relatively around and when I'm playing at night time I use flares and chemlights a lot, I don't know about you guys but I like playing at night time.

NVG's should stay in Day Z, mostly because they are very hard to find and when you do, you should be rewarded. I'd also like to encounter someone wearing NVG's at night time, that'd be quite fun.

• Like 2

They don't need to be removed, just made a lot more rare, and have a chance of breaking when hit.

Needless to say duping would also need to be fixed.

They don't need to be removed, just made a lot more rare, and have a chance of breaking when hit.

Needless to say duping would also need to be fixed.

And add a battery life. Then they would be a extremely useful, but you would need to pick and choose when to use them. It's not my idea, but I liked it.

Edited by Kashus
  • Like 1

I just want someone to provide a well thought out reason for having them in the game. Why they are good for the game. As it is right now, I think that removing them would improve the experience for the majority of players.

People don`t like being blind. People dislike the black/grey of night. Most people only go out at night if they have NVGs.

I just want someone to provide a well thought out reason for having them in the game. Why they are good for the game. As it is right now, I think that removing them would improve the experience for the majority of players.

They exist in the game because the game is a simulation (that happens to contain zombies) of an area occupied by modern military forces. These miltaries use NVGs in their operations and after an outbreak like DayZ they'd be laying around for people to grab.

• Like 1

I used to think the same thing about NVG's, but after playing around with my settings I find they aren't a massive advantage.

Let me see if I can articulate myself well enough.

Lets be honest here. I currently have these on my character. I feel pretty damn safe at night, but I don't want to feel safe and I don't want anyone else to feel safe either. I want everyone to be on edge.

Reason to remove NVG's. When it is night, it is tough to see without NVG's, assuming the moon isn't out. If we all did not have NVG's, then the night would actually provide some safety from other players. When we enter a building and/or are lost, then we would actually be forced to use some of the light providing items in the game. If I entered a building, I would briefly turn on my flashlight to see what was available then turn it off for fear of being detected. Even if someone saw me with my light on, they would have to go through a series of decisions on how they would track me. Throw a flare to light the area up? Try and sneak up without any light, but with the possibility of losing track of a player? Use flash light briefly to scan, then run?

NVG's take all this decision making out of the game at night. The times when I have played on a server at night, without NVG's, I would always get killed by a guy who clearly had NVGs. Not only that, what percentage of players, aside from server hoppers, would willing play on servers at night without NVG's? I'd rather play on a packed server at night than one with 8 people who all have NVG's. That's just me. The current format has one of two things happening when playing at night. Running around and not seeing a single soul on the whole map, but if you do run into another player, he will likely have NVG's and you will likely be dead because of the disadvantage.

One other thing. If the game never had NVG's to begin with, no one would be missing them right now. I would also bet that servers at night would be more popular. I can't quantify that for sure, but that is my best guess.

Also, I would love to hear why you think NVG's should remain in the game. Do they serve the greater good? I am gonna say no, but we all have opinions.

I also don't like ghillies, but I am too lazy right now to write another shit ton of reasons, but many of them are inline with why I don't think NVG's are good for the mod.

I honestly don't think anyone would play on night time servers if the NVGs weren't ingame. I would personally, because night time is my favorite, but every single person I run into on a night time server has NVGs it seems. I think most people stick with day until they get NVGs.

why not just make it that NVGs use up batteries that are difficult to find as it is in real life...?

Pretty good idea. Hopefully we'll see something like that in the future. It's a much better option than just removing them from the game completely.

Can I suggest, if they was ever to change NVGS, there should be some type of Laser you can use, but you have to attach it onto your gun or something, that would be pure evil >:C

Removed? No. Much increased rarity? Yes.

Far too many military-grade luxuries in circulation to create a desperate, apocalyptic atmosphere. The risk/reward of using light sources is a non-issue. When resources are so scarce that only the snipers or designated drivers of a group might be lucky enough to hold NVGs. That's about when they've struck a right balance.

No group or above-average loner will leave home without their NVGs in current state. Time of day is barely a factor to a great number of groups. It's now devolved into "thermal scope warfare".

• Like 1

Removed? No. Much increased rarity? Yes.

Far too many military-grade luxuries in circulation to create a desperate, apocalyptic atmosphere. The risk/reward of using light sources is a non-issue. When resources are so scarce that only the snipers or designated drivers of a group might be lucky enough to hold NVGs. That's about when they've struck a right balance.

No group or above-average loner will leave home without their NVGs in current state. Time of day is barely a factor to a great number of groups. It's now devolved into "thermal scope warfare".

just so you know they have a 0.11% spawn (lowest in game) at the barracks

and a 0.89% at crash sites (also lowest)

only reason is cause dupes atm. when someone dupes their body in the open for ammo/food/satchels etc... they dont take the NVGs

so some random noob comes along takes em and bam +1 NVG in circulation

If night wasn't so damn dark, like if the moon is out it is acceptable. But pitch black shit. And the flashlights aren't really that good.