Dekker

Adding realism to backpacks

The problem I see with backpacks is that there is nearly no reason to NOT upgrade when you have the chance, bigger packs make you a little easier to see to other players I guess.

So what I'm proposing is that larger packs, as they would make you heaver, should slow you down, make you louder and you breath heaver; while smaller packs make you lighter, and therefore faster, able to sneak better and you don't get winded as easily. (I know its the stuff in the packs that make it heavy but that would be a pain to weigh the trade off for EVERY single can of beans)

qTcTL.png

Now seeing a new pack isn't a routine procedure, but a carefully weighted tradeoff between holding space and speed/sound/endurance.

Do you want to chance not being able to out run zombies for few more cans of beans, or do you chance starving to death so you can get some breathing room between you and the dead before turning around and shooting?

Please start you response with something along the lines of-

A) I hate you and everything you stand for, if I find you in game I will murder you and eat your beans

B) I hate you but your idea isn't completely shit, still gonna eat your beans over your dead body

C) I hate you but the idea is good, let's just tweak some numbers and/or add/remove something, now

your beans or your life

D) I hate you but I like your idea so lets run with it, Heck I'll even let you keep a single can of beans

TL/DR; if you're not going to read why are you on a forum?

D) I hate you but I like your idea so lets run with it, Heck I'll even let you keep a single can of beans

D) I hate you but I like your idea so lets run with it, Heck I'll even let you keep a single can of beans.

Pretty sure I read an interview with rocket where he chatted about how the look of the player character should eventually reflect how we play (without being forced into a skin), this is going along similar lines. Good idea.

Great idea, but the only problem i see with this is you can't outrun a zombies if you're stripped naked and are the fastest person in the world. So as of right now who the hell cares what your endurance is like with a bigger pack. First fix zombies so they are slow but a million of them (that can only die by being shot in the head) then we can worry about backpacks.

I hate you but the idea is good, let's just add some things.

A better idea is just to have weights assigned to each object, add slots to backpacks, and make objects take up more slots based on their size. Also, having different pockets in backpacks that are different sizes. The center pack, two slots for water, side pockets, a smaller center pocket on top of the other one, maybe a place to tie tent ontop of backpack.

now,

your beans or your life.

A better idea is just to have weights assigned to each object' date=' add slots to backpacks, and make objects take up more slots based on their size. Also, having different pockets in backpacks that are different sizes. The center pack, two slots for water, side pockets, a smaller center pocket on top of the other one, maybe a place to tie tent ontop of backpack.

[/quote']

The only thing is weight on every single object would become ether ignored or tedious in my option. Back packs are much more rare than say beans and bottles so you wouldn't have to stop and thinking about it for every looting.

A better idea is just to have weights assigned to each object' date=' add slots to backpacks, and make objects take up more slots based on their size. Also, having different pockets in backpacks that are different sizes. The center pack, two slots for water, side pockets, a smaller center pocket on top of the other one, maybe a place to tie tent ontop of backpack.

[/quote']

The only thing is weight on every single object would become ether ignored or tedious in my option. Back packs are much more rare than say beans and bottles so you wouldn't have to stop and thinking about it for every looting.

The weight part I wrote was for the speed decrease, not inventory space. Why would you ignore something like that, when it directly affects your running speed? In real life you wouldn't fill your backpack up with shit, it will make you get tired faster.

A better idea is just to have weights assigned to each object

The only thing is weight on every single object would become ether ignored or tedious in my option.

The weight part I wrote was for the speed decrease' date=' not inventory space. Why would you ignore something like that, when it directly affects your running speed? In real life you wouldn't fill your backpack up with shit, it will make you get tired faster.

[/quote']

Well yes I agree every object in real life would have weight. But do you really want to stop at every loot pile and consider your options? There is a fine line between engrossing choices and tedious micromanagement. In my option Concerning weight based on back pack is a choice, considering weight for every single item in the game would be micromanagement of your pack. Also can you imagine how heavy a main rotor assembly would be all by it self?

I really like this idea, but... I think the most that would happen is the weight/stamina system from ACE transfer to DayZ

Unless your going to add weight to all items i think this is a silly idea. for exp:

Coyote patrol pack, high endurance, high speed. What if I put a M107 in the pack?

Now i'm carrying a M107 like its a feather weight, but IRL the M107 weights 15+ lbs more then the Coyote back pack.

Not a bad idea OP, having light backpack when you start which gives you ability to outrun zombies and lose them is great. As for the no reason to not to upgrade, I think the larger backpack you have the more chance you will be shot for it.

I like the idea' date=' I just don't see it being a big advantage or disadvantage either way.

[/quote']

well I don't mean for it to be a game changer, just a little something to add depth to the game.

I agree with the fact that the Vest should increase your moving speed since there is abolutely no reason to switch off your initial coyote for it, but the default coyote should be 100% speed. Just a little idea.

I agree with the fact that the Vest should increase your moving speed since there is abolutely no reason to switch off your initial coyote for it' date=' but the default coyote should be 100% speed. Just a little idea.

[/quote']

ya i can agree with that