Sign in to follow this  
bad_mojo (DayZ)

Non-threatening clothing

I would like the option to wear some obviously non-threatening clothing. So when a player sees me, he knows I'm peaceful and don't want any trouble. The camo clothes and ghillie suit both make players look more threatening, and keeping the default skin does nothing.

What I was thinking, was maybe a hunters outfit, with bright orange hat and vest like this....

http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/programs/controlled_hunt/images/Hunters_sm.jpg

Giving the clothing non-camo aspects like the bright colors might be enough to discourage hostile players from wearing the "peaceful" clothing. Of course there will always be those tricksters who act innocent and then pull a gun on you. I don't expect this clothing to be immunity, I just expect people to look at me and think twice about killing me.

There is just no way for a person to appear peaceful right now, only your actions can show your intent, which causes a lot of killing on site.

When I go hunting I wear full camo (shirt, jacket, boots, gloves, hat and an orange best just to get wear I'm going, so I don't understand the whole non threatening clothing this when you'll just see an orange vest floating in front of a bush lol.

Adding more clothing and customization options would be nice, but it wouldn't actually make you look less dangerous. You can kill people in any clothing you want.

Wearing this clothing should be a choice you make, not imposed on anyone without a weapon.

I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm suggesting here. I'm a player who doesn't care about dying. I'm not stupidly careless, I like the survival aspect, I just don't care if people see me or murder me. People doing that improves my experience. I'm cautious around strangers, some people are crazy, but I don't make an effort to hide myself when nobody is around.

So what happens is people spot me, and I just look like anyone else in civilian clothing. They have no clue of my intentions, they have no clue of my friendly attitude. So they assume the worst and act accordingly. If I was wearing a bright orange vest they would have a clue to my intentions, they might let me pass or even befriend me. It gives people a reason to not kill me

What about something like this if you want non-threatening? http://tiny.cc/jdlqiw

I would actually shoot that thing in sight.

But could you choose weather you wear it. Because deathmatchers would abuse it for sure.

I say if a player finds and decides to wear this orange vest then to increase the visual indicator by 5 bars but do not tell the player.Let them just aggro every infected they come across as punishment for being such care bears.

15fw1069.jpg

Edited by wolfstriked

Should just add random clothing generator at the beginning of the game so everyone is not a cookie cutter of everyone else. It should be permanent for your account. Different color pants, shirt, hat or better yet, no hat different color hair. Make hats an item you find and have different types colors etc. This way you could at least recognize people you see. The ones who kill you and the ones who are friendly to you. Right now the game has become KOS because nobody knows who the hell anyone else is and its not worth trusting them. If you see a dude in a green shirt, tan pants and a red baseball cap who shoots you, then later when you see him again you may avoid or kill him. Also works in reverse. That guy gives you a ride and a weapon, later on when you see him running from a hoarde of zombies, you might pull out yoru sniper rifle and pick off a few.

Right now 10 people could be standing in a room and I couldn't pick out anyone, even a friend on teamspeak until he does something like lay down. With different clothing etc, at least you could tell your firend the guy int he red hat and green pants shot me, kill him!

Edited by Ragegasm

What!? the salute or lean dance didn't work for you so now you need different clothes?

You think the outcome would be different if you had your idea realized... why?

Bandit is a Bandit, even if your wearing only a thong.. or a two piece, scantily clad bikini... your still gonna get it.

Edited by uni-sol

What!? the salute or lean dance didn't work for you so now you need different clothes?

You think the outcome would be different if you had your idea realized... why?

Bandit is a Bandit, even if your wearing only a thong.. or a two piece, scantily clad bikini... your still gonna get it.

Salute, leaning & surrender are great, when you know someone is looking at you. When you're running through a field, nobody knows you from the bandit that killed them previously.

I know bandits will kill you no matter what you're wearing, that's not the point. The point is if a "carebare" ran in front of me with an orange vest on, I would make an effort to talk to him. Instead of being paranoid and avoiding him. Also, some players resort to killing on site because they fear the consequences of not killing someone they see, perhaps if they saw his orange vest they wouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger.

If a bandit wanted to run around in orange clothing and kill people, he will be seen and killed quicker than if he was in a ghillie suit. So I don't think there would be much of that going on, since most bandits do everything in their power not to die.

Nope. You shouldn't know by looking at someone if they're friendly or not. Unfortunately that's not the path rocket is going down.

Nope. You shouldn't know by looking at someone if they're friendly or not. Unfortunately that's not the path rocket is going down.

Why? When you watch movies like "The Road" and see people in that apocalypse, it's pretty obvious.

Of course looks can be deceiving, and I'm not suggesting you lose your clothing when you commit murder, I just want the ability to chose my appearance. I would rather look less threatening. For fucks sake the camo and ghillie make you look more threatening, are you suggesting those be removed? Make us all PMC clones?

I like this because the clothing would be bad tactically unless you plan on only killing others by luring them into false trust, since trying to snipe with them or even be stealthy with them is next to impossible.

We wouldn't know but we would know that the player is willing to trade stealth for a better chance of not being viewed as a potential threat. As well as there are no checks to force players to be nice when wearing the clothes.

I don't see anything wrong with giving players just as good tools to be seen as non-hostile as they can be seen as hostile.

Edited by Orthus

I think its best if everyone spawns with regular civilian clothing and that in the game you can find additional stuff like, vests, body armor, helmets, camo clothing and stuff like that.

That way you could tell if someone is getting prepared for some serious trouble or if he is just a regular survivor. Still all applies, you can be shot by a guy in just in regular clothing but it still gives you more identification of the survivor because not everybody would have body armor like they are going into war :D

EDIT: Also wanted to add that more clothing would mean slower running speed because of the weight and motion restriction of some body armor. That way you can see if people are just brawlers or quick runners.

Edited by RyuTakbir

Nice idea..

I would beg to expand on it.

I would suggest that the higher or lower your humanity defines the type of clothes you can find.

But ... also there should be standard clothes you can find.

Wearing the bandit or survivor clothes would be an option for the players who find them.

Nice idea..

I would beg to expand on it.

I would suggest that the higher or lower your humanity defines the type of clothes you can find.

But ... also there should be standard clothes you can find.

Wearing the bandit or survivor clothes would be an option for the players who find them.

I like it, the loot spawns differently depending on the players humanity. But, I wouldn't want to see it go any further than just clothing. Nobody should be punished for their humanity level. For example, I could see people suggesting bandits get more/less weapons & ammo.

Actually I would suggest the chance of this clothing spawning be 0% for bandits. That way the peaceful players wouldn't be spawning ONLY peaceful clothing, yet bandits would likely never spawn it.

Edited by bad_mojo