tandwan

To the chumps who Alt F4 and abort.

Just pointing out that there is no 'rule' stating you have to stay in a fire fight until either you or your opponent dies. If someone gets away from you, like the OP did in the beginning of his post and then logs to avoid further fire fights, then thats hardly abusing a game mechanic.

Alt F4'ing is cheap, I'm just pointing out that the dude could have logged or been in the process of logging when the OP missed his first shot.

yes apparently if there is gunfire going on anywere on the map your not allowed to logout for fear your taking some greivers free kill..

heaven forbid you venture into Cherno, you'd NEVER be allowed to logout. hahaha

• Like 2

Rocket has also said you can can be banned for doing it. It is considered an exploit. Why do so many people think "it's in the game, so it's okay to do". Just because you CAN murder someone in real life doesn't mean you do. You know it's wrong, so you don't.

And this is why douches play this game. I don't agree with Alt F4 but if someone wants to play the game for what Rocket claims it is, you know... a survivor game, and doesn't want to death match with people (or doesn't have the ability to because they have no weapon) then they have the option to log out of a server where they're being stalked by another player and logging into a different server. That's how this game is made.

Also there will be some major priority issues for this game if people start getting banned for avoiding fire fights before hackers, dups, ghosting and other more serious issues are taken care of. Take away hacking and dups and the majority of the griefing losers won't have inifinite amounts of ammo to sit on hill sides and snipe new players.

Actually, yes, there is a rule that you can't combat disconnect. It is a bannable offense.

Link please. And yeah, maybe when the dev team starts enforcing the server rules they layed down they'll start enforcing the other rules... :rolleyes:

Edited by Maroite
  • Like 1

Link please. And yeah, maybe when the dev team starts enforcing the server rules they layed down they'll start enforcing the other rules... :rolleyes:

http://dayzmod.com/f...ath/#entry69683

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:10 PM by rocket

I don't know why, but people are assuming that I think this is part of the game.

It's not. I posted in a thread that was talking about that, that META-GAMING is explicitly allowed. I.e. infiltrating teamspeak servers and groups etc...

Disconnecting to avoid death IS an exploit.

It will be patched out, very easily, in a future update. The update is ready to go and will be released when the Beta patch for ArmA2 is out.

There we go :)

Edit: I don't feel strongly about a need for disconnect timers or other logout mechanisms other than I would prefer not to see them at all, because the real world often requires that we drop games quickly. Ask anyone with poor connectivity, a telephone, a front door, or a baby; quick exits are sometimes required or forced upon us.

But what we have here are people actively exploiting a mechanism to dodge unfavourable outcomes that they brought upon themselves. I've never needed to Alt-F4 from combat (in fact I was puzzled by it for many weeks as Alt-F4 does nothing in my ARMA until I'm back on the title screen), but I've never needed it because I don't go round shooting at people for a laugh with a chance to regret the decision when they might shoot back.

I'm all for logging Alt-F4 behaviour and punishing repeat offenders appropriately, just don't go spoiling things for those of us who have other reasons to disconnect in a hurry. Combat is just fine for those of us who are playing it straight.

Edited by tomfin
  • Like 1

this is my fav. part of your story..

What, that I get FPS loss in the game if i''m online for a long period of time? I don't run on a top end computer like a lot of people do, I run on about a medium tier computer that runs most games fairly decent. Arma 2 on the other hand doesn't use video card only, it uses a lot of processor instead. Every now and then my FPS tanks out badly to the point where I get a lot of stutter and a lot of performance drop and normally this is fixxed if I log out, wait a few minutes and then log back in. Sometimes I have to completely restart the game. If you're saying the best part of the story is where I aborted out (to fix my FPS problems) then I am glad you found some part of the story to be amused by.

The big difference between me aborting to fix performance and that guy aborting to solve his "Oh shit i'm getting shot at." performance is ones not combat logging.

Edited by Tandwan
  • Like 1

To avoid DEATH. Not fire fights. Pretty open to interpretation. Obviously when I'm in the open and get fired on/hit with bullets, alt f4ing to avoid dying falls under this. If I'm in an area with cover (buildings, walls, whatever) and someone takes a pop shot at me and misses and I get to cover and take no damage - NOT avoiding death by logging out without the use of Alt F4.

Also - I don't alt f4 - DayZ Dan can vouch for this as he's killed me before.

Edited by Maroite

any idea what that patch was/is?

It's ongoing. There was an attempt at fixing it in 1.7.1.x but was revoked because of engine limitations. I expect it'll migrate from "must have" to "nice to have" in the Arma2 mod version, and will be addressed properly in the now-confirmed standalone DayZ in September.

@Mariote:

To avoid DEATH. Not fire fights. Pretty open to interpretation. [...] If I'm in an area with cover (buildings, walls, whatever) and someone takes a pop shot at me and misses and I get to cover and take no damage. [...then leave and don't come back]

Yeah, I quite agree. There is a distinction between simply bugging out from a developing situation you don't like and exploiting disconnection to avoid death. I've heard nearby voices on Direct Comms close to the end of an evening's play, and decided "Yep, you know what... I'm going to leave now before any shooting starts." IMHO that's a fair enough way to avoid contact, if you want to.

Starting something you can't finish and escaping scot-free is an exploit, as is "server-hopping" or "ghosting" to a more favourable location to rejoin a fight.

Edited by tomfin
  • Like 1

It's ongoing. There was an attempt at fixing it in 1.7.1.x but was revoked because of engine limitations. I expect it'll migrate from "must have" to "nice to have" in the Arma2 mod version, and will be addressed properly in the now-confirmed standalone DayZ in September.

gotcha, i was getting knocked unconscious when I would log out and back in (never did it in a firefight, just do it a lot when I'm around something military because it seems to kill the artifacts about half the time) and was told that was the fix and wanted to make sure.... hope he can add something into the mod while we wait for the stand alone.

If there's contact (one party shoots at the other), alt+f4ing shouldn't be allowed unless they completely disengage. Dunno how many times I've kept people pinned down behind cover while my squad flanks just for them to DC and waste 10-15 minutes of our time for nothing.

• Like 1

@Mariote:

Yeah, I quite agree. There is a distinction between simply bugging out from a developing situation you don't like and exploiting disconnection to avoid death. I've heard nearby voices on Direct Comms close to the end of an evening's play, and decided "Yep, you know what... I'm going to leave now before any shooting starts." IMHO that's a fair enough way to avoid contact, if you want to.

Starting something you can't finish and escaping scot-free is an exploit, as is "server-hopping" or "ghosting" to a more favourable location to rejoin a fight.

That's how I feel as well. I usually don't start anything though. If I see other players I usually end up heading the opposite direction, even if it throws me off the path to where I was heading.

Using the "He could of been in the process of logging" logic:

Yes, that guy I shot at in the NW airfield intentionally logged in the middle of the airfield. He ment to do that.

Yes, that guy I shot on top of the apartments in cherno intentionally logged out there. I mean, everyone logs out on top of roofs, right?

its a part of the game until Rocket fixes it. Period.

Stupid way to think of it but alright. It is only part of the game because of the difficulty involved in fixing the issue. The best way would be an abort timer of 5 to 10 seconds, but then you would have people whining about dying while experiencing a legitimate disconnect situation. It is cheap as all hell though, so please spare us your weak ass rationale for why it is fine to pull this sissy move in the middle of a firefight.

It is a cheap move. Period.

Edited by Megatron

Stupid way to think of it but alright. It is only part of the game because of the difficulty involved in fixing the issue. The best way would be an abort timer of 5 to 10 seconds, but then you would have people whining about dying while experiencing a legitimate disconnect situation. It is cheap as all hell though, so please spare us your weak ass rationale for why it is fine to pull this sissy move in the middle of a firefight.

It is a cheap bitch move. Period.

that's easily fixed by using the logic of, maybe you shouldn't log out unless you are somewhere safe. MMOs do it all the time. Have a countdown to the logout, that way you aren't still physically there when you get to the disconnect.

Made some great points, completely agree with you.

that's easily fixed by using the logic of, maybe you shouldn't log out unless you are somewhere safe. MMOs do it all the time. Have a countdown to the logout, that way you aren't still physically there when you get to the disconnect.

Agreed, if i'm getting shot at I don't log. If I think there's someone nearby I don't log. Having a timer wouldn't bother me one bit but it would literally kill the people who do it to escape my bullets.

• Like 1

What, that I get FPS loss in the game if i''m online for a long period of time? I don't run on a top end computer like a lot of people do, I run on about a medium tier computer that runs most games fairly decent. Arma 2 on the other hand doesn't use video card only, it uses a lot of processor instead. Every now and then my FPS tanks out badly to the point where I get a lot of stutter and a lot of performance drop and normally this is fixxed if I log out, wait a few minutes and then log back in. Sometimes I have to completely restart the game. If you're saying the best part of the story is where I aborted out (to fix my FPS problems) then I am glad you found some part of the story to be amused by.

The big difference between me aborting to fix performance and that guy aborting to solve his "Oh shit i'm getting shot at." performance is ones not combat logging.

keep telling yourself your reasons for logging out are ok, but someone elses are wrong..

how do you know they didnt log for EXACTLY the same reasons ???

oh right because you have no idea, thats why..

cuz some kids only think about their stolen loot and not the fun of the game, to get outmanuvered and killed is just as fun as killing someone.

ofc you try your nerves while sneaking around stary killing someone and his friends shows up in a chopper seeking for you from the air and at the same time you hear gunshots in the distance coming closer, the pulse is at 200 and you try to change position unseen and suddenly a bullet pass your head, you turn around and run to the forest, change position and start returning fire etc..

some ppl just hit alt+f4 "zomg! i dont wannna looze mah leet loot" its just so lame, even if ur in the middle of an open field getting shot at from several snipers in complete darkness. never alt+f4 just take your medecine as ya clearly got ambushed or outmanuvered.

only time i whould say alt+f4 is okay is if a hacker teleport you to thunderdome

• Like 3

was playing last night, I shot down a heli then got killed by some loser in the middle of elektro in a ghillie fucking up everyone that came past.. I managed to sneak up close enough to lay a few hatchet swings into him, but before I could deliver the final blows he either disconnected or teleported to safety (didnt see connections from server)...he came back a few mins later and killed me from behind a close building while I called him a fag (my apologies to the homosexual community)

got it on video, though I dont think I caught his name... either way, he probably was raging over the fact I beat him

The only time I alt f4'd was when I respawned fell through the roof of a barn and broke my leg. Had to wait for my mate to spawn with me to fix me up. A way to fix this is to have a 5 second timer on the persons body. Hell even 3 seconds would do it.

i.e.

Person disconnects, their body is still present but not playable for 3 seconds. So if zombies are chasing them or someone is shooting they get 3 extra seconds to put some rounds in them or zombie bitch slap them. Trust me they will never dc after that.

Id go for 5 + seconds, or an inability to DC if there is someone shooting you (registered hits in the past 5+ seconds or something)

Oh sorry, I was being stupid and looked past the fact that you had a legitimate reason to d/c while he was just death dodging.

Fixed

was playing last night, I shot down a heli then got killed by some loser in the middle of elektro in a ghillie fucking up everyone that came past.. I managed to sneak up close enough to lay a few hatchet swings into him, but before I could deliver the final blows he either disconnected or teleported to safety (didnt see connections from server)...he came back a few mins later and killed me from behind a close building while I called him a fag (my apologies to the homosexual community)

got it on video, though I dont think I caught his name... either way, he probably was raging over the fact I beat him

Thank you for having the decency to atleast apologizing for that language instead of just spouting more of it

I can't believe how many people in this thread support combat disconnects... I guess that just says something about people in general though.

... He was saying that they Ghosted. You know, the term used to reference when someone logs off of a server during a fire fight, logs into a DIFFERENT server, moves to an advantageous position, then logs out of that server and connects back to the server where the fire fight is going on.

Am I the only one who expects this when people log off in a firefight? Honestly every time somebody disconnects after I shoot depending on if where i'm headed is important or not, I either get out of there or set up in a different spot that gives me a view of my old spot or any routes leading up to it.