Koot (DayZ)

WTF is happening to the server community.

Is this game supposed to focus on realism or fun?

Realism.

Fun is subjective.

Make players wait 48 hours real time after a death before a new character can be created. I think that would solve a couple problems. Not sure if it is technically possible.

This would give a "game over" feel when you die. It would also cut down on server congestion.

This is one of the dumbest suggestions ever. Do you even think before you type? Do you have any idea how much new players die? I've stalked and watched them, it takes the average idiot gamer a good 5-10 deaths at least before they get a clue, if you put a 48h period between dying sessions it'll never sink in. Also, the bandits will just grief harder because they'll have a bigger effect.

I still believe that what MAKES zombies horrifying is that 4 or 5 SLOW moving zombies are one thing, but 20 slowly creeping towards you and over whelming you, is an immediate danger. that is the only problem. All mythic or created monsters have their specific dangers. Fast zombies= running away. I believe fast movers goes against what makes zombies what they are.

Perhaps allow players to give another person a negative trust rating? Others would only be able to see this trust rating at a certain distance from the person in question of course' date=' or maybe they need to meet the person who gave the negative trust first. Some sort of automated communication between players. The more players you meet, the more knowledge about who and who not to trust you gain.

[/quote']

First of all, this system is completely exploitable, if it's implemented I will just give negative reviews to everyone just for the fun of being the dick I am.

Second, most of the time you have a split second to act when you spot someone before you are killed, a super complex reputation system would not help you at all as you need to read this data and come up with a conclusion.

Third, this kind of thing would put a very high stress on the servers, which frankly is not something we need.

Before we keep throwing around random suggestions, we need to take a moment to figure out what the "problem" (if any) really is. Changing random things like the zombies or adding new features just because will not help, it will just create a while new set of problems.

I think most people here would benefit from taking some time off to figure out what the problem is, why this is a problem and if the solution balances out the fun factor that we currently we get from this game.

New Mechanic:

Allow Bandits (and only Bandits) to take hostages. Those hostages eventually get pregnated and spawn a baby after some time. (Random time so they can't just time it and kill the person before the baby spawns). When baby spawns, well, its a baby and it cries like a bitch. Zombies....everywhere!

Now....Bandit has zombies coming all over the place. The Bandit's bitch has zombies coming all over the place....and now there is a baby, what to do? Some white knight come to the rescue? Bandit kill baby? What do?

ETA:

Or, make random people spawn in as women. Said women get pregnant randomly if they are around other players (men) long enough. Same situation.

As much as I sometimes want to rage. Unless I stay in these forums' date=' it will end up like all the other games. The developer belongs here, with the Players. Not the players talking to some marketing douche.

[/quote']

Despite all the harshness you are displaying, I do commend you for this.

But what that other guy said is right, what ARE you trying to make here?

New Mechanic:

Allow Bandits (and only Bandits) to take hostages. Those hostages eventually get pregnated and spawn a baby after some time. (Random time so they can't just time it and kill the person before the baby spawns). When baby spawns' date=' well, its a baby and it cries like a bitch. Zombies....everywhere!

Now....Bandit has zombies coming all over the place. The Bandit's bitch has zombies coming all over the place....and now there is a baby, what to do? Some white knight come to the rescue? Bandit kill baby? What do?

[/quote']

You need to dial down the obviousness Mr Troll

People need to stop suggesting "New Mechanics" and "Balances". Rocket has already said that this is an Anti-game where balancing isn't the priority.

New Mechanic:

Allow Bandits (and only Bandits) to take hostages. Those hostages eventually get pregnated and spawn a baby after some time. (Random time so they can't just time it and kill the person before the baby spawns). When baby spawns' date=' well, its a baby and it cries like a bitch. Zombies....everywhere!

[/quote']

No, people say they want the game harder. This makes the game harder. I don't see you suggesting any actual mechanics.

Make players wait 48 hours real time after a death before a new character can be created. I think that would solve a couple problems. Not sure if it is technically possible.

This would give a "game over" feel when you die. It would also cut down on server congestion.

48 hours would kill this game, over half the players would not be able to play. Bad idea and concept. Tweaking zombies will not help either. The whole issue of the post is the rampant player killing going on. Again, I believe General Chat would resolve a big chunk of this issue. More time playing instead of talking trash across the server.

People need to stop suggesting "New Mechanics" and "Balances". Rocket has already said that this is an Anti-game where balancing isn't the priority.

Actually, Rocket said to suggest "mechanics" not "wishy washy ideas."

New Mechanic:

[/quote']

No, people say they want the game harder. This makes the game harder. I don't see you suggesting any actual mechanics.

When I say I want the game to be harder, I mean I actually want the game AS IS to be harder. No new mechanics or punishments or anything.

ITS JUST HARDER.

The most popular stream on Twitch right now is a guy running around the coast trying to get as many kills before he dies. Training Zombies on people. Gaming the system. That's what I think the OP is saying with this thread. He's not trying to survive.

I think something like Zombies spawn on murderers after a certain number of kills or something. I don't know. I like that there are bandits, I just hate that there are the mindlessly killing bandits treating this game like Call of Duty. Running through the streets of Cherno with 15 zombies on his ass just capping fools and running off to find more.

Actually' date=' Rocket said to suggest "mechanics" not "wishy washy ideas."

[/quote']

That's kinda what I mean't but okay...

New Mechanic:

[/quote']

Now' date=' I have yet to see a single non "wishy-washy" idea above that even resembles a game mechanic. Please don't just post your ideas. Ideas are worthless. Everyone has ideas. Mechanics have value. Post mechanics, and I will consider them.

[/quote']

Well, a mechanic for the "more zombies" idea could be that in the long run, as noise is generated in a certain city or area, zombie concentration is increased. It will at least keep conflicts moving around and ought to enhance the experience of both survivors and the ""deathmatch"" players alike(I said enhance the experience, not necessarily make them happy).

If people are worried about recognizing each other, they just have to use a custom skin for their head/arms I do it, and some of my friends do too.

Edit: This isn't about punishing the pvpers, this is about keeping the conflicts fresh and interesting rather than it being the same stale stuff we're seeing over and over at the moment.

Why is it so hard for people to read and think for a moment before they type idiocies?

This is one of the dumbest suggestions ever. Do you even think before you type? Do you have any idea how much new players die? I've stalked and watched them' date=' it takes the average idiot gamer a good 5-10 deaths at least before they get a clue, if you put a 48h period between dying sessions it'll never sink in. Also, the bandits will just grief harder because they'll have a bigger effect.

[/quote']

I'm guessing you're one of the run and gun, disposable life guys.

Here lies your problem:

4. Find the people (offline if needed) that want to do these things.

5. Trust those people and nobody else.

The original appeal of this mod lay in the social interactions between strangers in the midst of an apocalypse. It was the myriad of uncertainties that evolved from running into other unknown survivors that made things exciting. Reducing things down to ppl getting together with friends from outside the game and then killing everybody they run into is-game is a massive step backwards. That the creator himself encourages this kind of dynamic blows my mind.

A couple aspects of survival that I think haven't been touched on yet are mental and emotional distress. Unfortunately no game I have played has come close to conveying these through the screen. However, the Sims does a great job of showing us how important it is for humans to socialize. Socializing keeps us sane. When people get scared - they want to talk (you see it in a movie theater all the time watching a scary movie). All the "bad guys" who are deathmatching on the coast have no reason to stop bean-camping. Socializing could be that reason.

Using a meter on the lower-right of the screen you could introduce this. Staying within a certain proximity (5m, 10m, 20m...?) of another player makes the meter go up. This is to simulate you socializing with another human. Talking, sharing stories, giving advice, and other things like that will happen naturally when folks stay in close proximity to one another to raise their social meter. The more people around - the faster it increases, promoting sticking together and sharing information.

Murders give a negative modifier to the speed at which this increases. Talking to someone who has murdered another human is strange. They don't see the world through the same eyes as a non-murdering person does. This affects their ability to socialize with regular folks. So a player with 0 murders regenerates their Social meter at 100%. A player with 50 murders regenerates their Social meter at 75% (-.25% per murder). It can never drop below 10% and here's why: when your Social is below 50% you will do what crazy/brilliant/un-socialized people do - you talk to yourself.

Talking to yourself is disturbing, annoying, and/or hilarious depending on your point of view. It could also affect gameplay by making noise. Matter of fact it will certainly affect gameplay by making noise. To get rid of this you need to Socialize.

So, bad guys, have fun socializing with your murderous pals. It will take a long time for any of you to trust one another (slow regeneration because they are all mass murderers) but you'll find some common ground eventually. Meanwhile, the bean-searchers are merrily chatting it up all the way North, to the forest.

This is one of the dumbest suggestions ever. Do you even think before you type? Do you have any idea how much new players die? I've stalked and watched them' date=' it takes the average idiot gamer a good 5-10 deaths at least before they get a clue, if you put a 48h period between dying sessions it'll never sink in. Also, the bandits will just grief harder because they'll have a bigger effect.

[/quote']

I'm guessing you're one of the run and gun, disposable life guys.

"Hmm, I'm gonna try Day Z, looks fun!"

*Gets killed by zombie*

"Well I'm still new at this game, let me try again"

YOU CANNOT LOG IN FOR [48] HOURS

"....fuck this game" *leaves forever*

And that's what'll happen if that idea is implemented.

I just want to ask you all one question:

How exactly are you certain that any of the solutions you have proposed, more zombies, random babies, turning bandits into butterflies or what have you is going to fix the game?

I see plenty of people complaining about how the game is running stale or whatever, but how is it that any of your solutions aren't going to end up in the same place?

Please, for the love of the great Zardoz in the sky, think about the effect your suggestions is going to have in a world currently populated by 100.000 players from all over the world before making them.

This is not about throwing random ideas around "just because nobody else is doing it", this is about finding balance in a game that is all about being unbalanced and unfair.

Let that sink in for a moment.

I've seen a lot of people put forward, as some incontrovertible truism, this idea that in the absence of laws people revert to some natural instinct to murder each other on sight for the slightest of reasons.

I just don't accept that as true at all. I think facing a common threat as in DayZ, by far the overriding response would be to band together in the face of it.

I'm not trying to be insulting but perhaps it's a societal/cultural issue. Personally I just don't recognise that picture of humanity at all.

I live in a society where people rush into burning buildings to rescue complete strangers. Most people, upon seeing a burning building will call for help, assist as best they can without putting themselves at risk.

I don't understand how so many people here seem to think that on seeing a burning building the majority would naturally board up the doors and windows to trap the people inside and then go loot the garage of any valuables.

I think that's more of a bitter, lonely internet dweller's interpretation of what people are like. It tells me more about the person who feels like that than anything else.

As much as I sometimes want to rage. Unless I stay in these forums' date=' it will end up like all the other games. The developer belongs here, with the Players. Not the players talking to some marketing douche.

[/quote']

I digress, as I agree with that completely. I'm just glad you have the fortitude to deal with it all. I would however suggest being screened for peptic ulcers frequently... lol

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results".

1. Get a fucking plan.

2. Stop assuming everyone wants to survive.

3. Stop assuming everyone wants to cooperate.

4. Find the people (offline if needed) that want to do these things.

5. Trust those people and nobody else.

6. Don't be part of the fucking problem (avoid' date=' rather than kill).

This IS stupid. So do something about it. Posting "aw everyone kills everyone" on the forums is what people have been doing for ages. Has it worked? NO. So try something else. I see a few groups are doing different stuff, and they're keeping quiet about it. It's obvious from the database those people who are adjusting to the "anti-game" environment and those who aren't.

I don't have the resources or the inclination to balance the game, or develop some kind of punishment system. So that just ain't going to happen, even if it was within the scope of the project (and its not).

[b']So the DayZ world has gone to shit? Good. We're on track then. Because its a fucking Zombie Apocalypse.

you are a game developer with fucking balls.

I love you