Koot (DayZ)

WTF is happening to the server community.

Gimme a server with a town that won't respawn zeds inside it, only around it.

I'll form a hierarchy and have deputies checking the city around. If someone PKs inside it, we gun him down and gun him everytime he tries to reenter.

There.

There is a possible fix to this' date=' how about we set up a zone of cease fire? In this area along the coast, whenever someone points a gun at a player, they can't shoot at the player or perhaps the bullets don't hurt the player.

[/quote']

Is that really a fix? Everyone will just camp the borders of the cease fire zone! To be honest the whole point of the game is that it's supposed to be difficult to survive. The fact it's getting more difficult due to other players gives it more challenge in my opinion...

You have forgotten about one thing, rocket - the "COD kiddies" are often people that have a "gamey" approach to the game - they know where the best loot spawns (so good that the game gets boring for them as a survivor thing, and all that is left is COD-style PK), they use spawn tricks, they log off when in danger - you're valorizing this positively and calling this a "fucking organized" group having a "strategy"...

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results".

1. Get a fucking plan.

2. Stop assuming everyone wants to survive.

3. Stop assuming everyone wants to cooperate.

4. Find the people (offline if needed) that want to do these things.

5. Trust those people and nobody else.

6. Don't be part of the fucking problem (avoid' date=' rather than kill).

This IS stupid. So do something about it. Posting "aw everyone kills everyone" on the forums is what people have been doing for ages. Has it worked? NO. So try something else. I see a few groups are doing different stuff, and they're keeping quiet about it. It's obvious from the database those people who are adjusting to the "anti-game" environment and those who aren't.

I don't have the resources or the inclination to balance the game, or develop some kind of punishment system. So that just ain't going to happen, even if it was within the scope of the project (and its not).

[b']So the DayZ world has gone to shit? Good. We're on track then. Because its a fucking Zombie Apocalypse.

Yeah but the zombies have become a joke, no one fears them, you see the thing about a god damn zombie apocalypse is that little word ZOMBIES!

oh I am sorry that as a new person I have not got together with others and faced off against players

I am so damn sorry that I still see wonder at exploring and saying hello to fellow humans

I am so bloody sorry that I do not have the CoD death match mentality.

Why the hell do you not do a simple (yes a simply copy local host server)

It would stop the total unrealism of hopping servers, stop the bandits who rotate 10 servers to kill and get away with it.

oooh it would promote cheating or hacks or server hassle ??

hello the thing about the local hive is your char equipment gets saved to the local host NO interaction what so ever with the hive!

That would stop people jumping servers at night time and alot of the crap going on I mean if your char is on one server you call home, a lot more may think about how they act, reputations would grow for good or bad, hey at that point stay at night.

You know rocket a hell of a lot of us want to pw servers because of the way people are ruining this community.

I am going to take a break from this, so much potential but I see all those who could take this in a different direction of creativity being smacked down by the "suck it up its a zombie apocalypse"

I will leave you will one none holywood thought, in my local hospital a woman was diagnosed with cancer, she had a choice she could have the medicine that would save her life, or have her baby, I was with them when they made the choice and delt with it over the next 3 months, humans will sometimes suprise you, for every nasty bastard of fear there is someone who chooses the hard path so screw the "everyone would do this bullshit"

Bye Rocket I wish you well but I won't be bringing my friends to this community, what community.

Im a bandit and highest score for me was 25 murders + 15 bandits before I died. Humanity was around -220k before it was removed from the game.

To me, and many others I imagine, the best thing about DayZ are the pvp gunfights. Because you are so afraid of losing the battle and die, thus losing all your precious gear, it becomes so intense! Way more intense than cod or bf3, its a completely different experience.

Also killing AI zombies is not really interesting for me. Once I got good gear I want to do something, right now its hunting down players together with some people I know on voice comms. Just running around in the wilderness is no fun for me, killing AI zombies is no fun for me. I like to track down groups of people and kill them. I want to feel the action and intensity of it. This will prolly also get a bit boring after a while so I hope some kind of missions will be added. Things you can actually do once you collected good gear rather than just 'staying alive'.

Rocket. The reason DayZ is popular is not a deathmatch. With the way things are headed now, soon you`ll find yourself with just another lousy shouter on your hands, instead of truly unique game. And since there are far far better environments to just grief and kill players, you`ll stay with empty servers as well.

You are repeating the Ultima Online dillema one to one. Wolfs will leave the game when there will be no sheep to kill.

See' date=' you guys still have it all wrong.

[/quote']

Uh, I am one of those people killing everyone rocket. There is no *reason* not to, where as in the real world there is territory to control and shit to trade. Having loot just be random chance actually hurts the game -- why hold a factory when it doesn't make ammo? Or players can just loot deer stands and server hop over and over on the same deer stand?

This isn't a social experiment, it's players gaming a broken system.

Who are the good guys? What is good in this mod? I used to help out people' date=' go out to them give them blood transfusions, painkillers, food, water, ammo, whatever they needed. But 99% of the time they would either kill me right away or after I've helped them, no reason to help other people, seriously, they can go to hell and I'll be happy to help them along, especially if they come out of the coast and up north into my territory, they brought it upon themselves by being dicks.

[/quote']

I'm not trying to be rude, but honestly. That's not "good", its just fucking stupid. The Bad guys don't have this concept of bad. They are just doing their thing. That is the whole idea. The game doesn't decide who is good or bad and punish them. The game just is.

And in this game, you and your character are not special. The game doesn't give a fuck if you die or not. In fact, if you make it in game, every minute you are alive is a miracle. That's the whole idea. If you do nothing, you will die. If you do something, you might die.

You will need to balance a significant amount of information, make moral decisions, and choose wisely to survive. That is what makes the experience unique.

• Like 4

I'm not trying to be rude' date=' but honestly. That's not "good", its just fucking stupid. The Bad guys don't have this concept of bad. They are just doing their thing. That is the whole idea. The game doesn't decide who is good or bad and punish them. The game just is.

And in this game, you and your character are not special. The game doesn't give a fuck if you die or not. In fact, if you make it in game, every minute you are alive is a miracle. That's the whole idea. If you do nothing, you will die. If you do something, you might die.

You will need to balance a significant amount of information, make moral decisions, and choose wisely to survive. That is what makes the experience unique.

[/quote']

why are you posting? get back to coding!

:D

There is a possible fix to this' date=' how about we set up a zone of cease fire? In this area along the coast, whenever someone points a gun at a player, they can't shoot at the player or perhaps the bullets don't hurt the player.

[/quote']

Is that really a fix? Everyone will just camp the borders of the cease fire zone! To be honest the whole point of the game is that it's supposed to be difficult to survive. The fact it's getting more difficult due to other players gives it more challenge in my opinion...

Again, sarcasm. The idea of this was to completely surround the coast with this zone. If you see someone camping that area, walk to a different one, crawl through a forest, something. It's not that hard.

You are repeating the Ultima Online dillema one to one. Wolfs will leave the game when there will be no sheep to kill.

The Ultima Online failure was devs caving into carebears and making Trammel, buffing melee dex monkeys, etc, what the fuck are you on.

Certain things needs to happen

1. The elimination of side chat or any global chat. Isolation.

2. Only Direct chat or Direct voice. Immersion.

I see the chats as a major issue. it makes DayZ too "game-y". Too many people know what everyone else is doing. people calling for help across the map. Bandits enjoying the text tears of their kills.

Direct voice eliminates a lot of the "shooting people in the back" as well. It's easy to lie and pretend you are friendly in text. Much harder when people can hear your demeanor. We'll see who the real sociopaths are when this happens. Convincing, charismatic, gentlemen killers. I also foresee the shooting on sight of people who do not direct voice when challenged with friend or foe. Better go buy a 30 dollar mic from Walmart, ladies.

As far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong, these chat changes are already planned for the mod. And I for one anticipate the day I don't have to read "barrens chat" while I am desperately surviving deep in the wilderness.

To sum up. A lot of people are ruining this game due to their lack of imagination.

Rocket. The reason DayZ is popular is not a deathmatch. With the way things are headed now' date=' soon you`ll find yourself with just another lousy shouter on your hands, instead of truly unique game. And since there are far far better environments to just grief and kill players, you`ll stay with empty servers as well.

[/quote']

Want to solve the issue?

1. JOIN A GROUP TO PLAY WITH

2. TRUST NO ONE THAT IS NOT IN YOUR GROUP

3. MOVE UP NORTH AND STOP HANGING AROUND ELEKTRO

4. ALWAYS WATCH YOUR SURROUNDINGS

All of this bitching about getting rid of PvP, or safe zones, and other crap is ridiculous. There's plenty of other games that have it. This game is harsh, unforgiving, and that's what I like about it

If you do nothing, you will die

Well no rocket.

I can stay in my fucking forest all day in the border of the map and scavenge beans time to time, i will not die. I will never die by doing so.

I will just be bored beyond imagination. But that's it.

Im a bandit and highest score for me was 25 murders + 15 bandits before I died. Humanity was around -220k before it was removed from the game.

To me' date=' and many others I imagine, the best thing about DayZ are the pvp gunfights. Because you are so afraid of losing the battle and die, thus losing all your precious gear, it becomes so intense! Way more intense than cod or bf3, its a completely different experience.

Also killing AI zombies is not really interesting for me. Once I got good gear I want to do something, right now its hunting down players together with some people I know on voice comms. Just running around in the wilderness is no fun for me, killing AI zombies is no fun for me. I like to track down groups of people and kill them. I want to feel the action and intensity of it. This will prolly also get a bit boring after a while so I hope some kind of missions will be added. Things you can actually do once you collected good gear rather than just 'staying alive'.

[/quote']

That's a good post from a bandit, nice to see the other side of the coin too, so to speak.

I have the same choice, I can become a bandit and kill every survivor I meet or try to survive as long as possible, I choose the latter because I like the fact that their are players like you hunting me down, I could die in a split second or live for a week, that style of gameplay I enjoy, if I die then hopefully I learned something.

Oh and Mr. Bandit, you haven't found me yet :P

It seems there are not many people who have played EVE online on these forums. I'm sure many if not all of you guys have heard of Pandemic Legion. Well they are a PVP Alliance in EVE and one of the better organised ones, one of the groups that think up new ways of killing people.

The thing is, the more tears being shed about "mindless PVP" on this board the more successfull "COD Kiddies" actually are. Your fun being ruined is one of the things that gives them motivation. I find it weird that people say that this kind of behaviour is easy mode. You need to be pretty well organized to stave off the Zombies repeatedly spawning in droves as well as killing players. The lone wolf won't make it at the coast and he will have a hard time up North as well. Face it, this is a survival game and if this were the real world it would be nigh impossible to survive by yourself. Group up, get organized.

METAGAME this Mod. Go with a buddy on vanilla arma and scout out the map for vantage points. Start putting in work, this is not a AAA game meant for all audiences with a 2 hour tutorial that explains how you walk. Try to get into the group that keeps camping your favorite loot spot only to betray them with your friends when the time is right. To take EVE online as an example again, the most successfull alliances in that game are the ones playing dirty, the ones that don't care about ~~honoure~~. I know people from this game that do nothing but scam, spy and metagame all day. If you want to be successfull then try ruining their experience. If you wanna just run around eating beans and drinking coke with your 10 day old character that RPs a hermit then that's fine but don't expect the game to be created solely around this experience.

If you do nothing' date=' you will die[/quote']

Well no rocket.

I can stay in my fucking forest all day in the border of the map and scavenge beans time to time, i will not die. I will never die by doing so.

I will just be bored beyond imagination. But that's it.

So how does "Scavenge" = "Doing Nothing".

No offense taken. Ah, so trying to help people and expecting them to be grateful is just fucking stupid? Right I'll just keep going about killing people that aren't in teamspeak, as apparently that is the only thing that isn't "just fucking stupid.". There is no reason to do anything but murder other players on sight that aren't in teamspeak, there is in fact every reason to do so.

There really is no balancing of information or moral decisions to make, you either kill everyone not on teamspeak/comms with you or you die. That's pretty much it there. Don't get me wrong, I play because I enjoy it, but to pretend it's anything but that at this point is lying to oneself.

[/quote']

Again, sarcasm. The idea of this was to completely surround the coast with this zone. If you see someone camping that area, walk to a different one, crawl through a forest, something. It's not that hard.

Sorry my post wasn't sarcastic in any way, I was merely pointing out a hole in your original point. Now that you've further explained how you'd like this to work (which would work) I still wouldn't agree on making this change to the game.

Safe zones in my mind ruin the whole point of the idea of a survival mod. The thing I love about this game is that you can get murdered at any point. I'm a fan of using the environment to try and escape these kinds of problems. Night time for example is the perfect time to move away from the cost, and people tend to be more friendly at night, because everythings so much more intense.

But any way, your idea makes sense in the context of what you want, but I feel it would detract from the original vision for this game.

rocket, i absolutely love you, lol. stick to your plans for this mod, don't ever give in or sell out. this is your baby and the core group that stuck through love where you've taken us.

sometimes gaining so much popularity so quick can be a double edged sword, i bet you are cussing kotaku and pc gamer now that you've got all these dicks and whiny babies complaining it's too hard or too unfair.

i say make it hard as you fucking can for everyone.

dont nerf the temperature or sickness. take out bandit skins so even more paranoia sets in, shit, add in the possibility to become infected as a zombie and lose the ability to use "weapons", add in wildlife in the woods that attacks you, maybe zombie dogs, or packs of wolves or bears.....

hell, how about you track the ip's of the top whiners on the forums and give them STD's in game haha

good shit man, keep it up, i can't wait to see what the next obstacle around the corner will be in this mod!!!

i would love to see how people would react though with players having a chance to become zombies, effecitvely a "zombie boss" that would be tougher than other AI zombies, maybe with even the ability to command a few AI zombies around them.

don't give any special ablities, we don't need the spitters or explsive boomers like in l4d, just these player zombies have a bit more of their mind and tactics left, or possibly just enough rage to outsmart survivors.

at least it will satisfy some of the pvpers and take the heat off of the bandit debate some

That's a good post from a bandit' date=' nice to see the other side of the coin too, so to speak.

I have the same choice, I can become a bandit and kill every survivor I meet or try to survive as long as possible, I choose the latter because I like the fact that their are players like you hunting me down, I could die in a split second or live for a week, that style of gameplay I enjoy, if I die then hopefully I learned something.

Oh and Mr. Bandit, you haven't found me yet :P

[/quote']

My M4A3 CCO and M24 sniper in my Backpack Coyote are ready for it!

Yes, us bandits like the loot part of the game as well! You're so satisfied with it and worried about losing it once you've finally gathered it. Just like everyone else. That is why gunfights are so intense in DayZ, a lot closer to RL I imagine than COD or BF3 where dying doesnt really mean anything. Everyone I play with is scared shitless in a fight, it has everything to do with the fact that you dont want to die! Thats the big difference between cod and bf3 type games compared to DayZ and we like it!

Okay - why don't we adopt a rule in this thread to avoid the circular arguments.

- Post descriptions of mechanics to solve the problem, and I will consider them and we can discuss.

- Post the same complaints we have heard again and again and I've responded too a million times, and I will post sarcastic rude remarks.

I mean there really is no right answer here, at the end of the day. If you speak about it, you're seen as "boo hoo whining" as DJKhaled so eloquently puts it. And if you go about being a bandit and killing everyone, you're a pk'ing dickhead.

There is no middle ground. I guess that's the point though, in an extreme situation you're either a killer or you're killed.

The problem with that is, even though this is a zombie simulator....at the end of the day it is still a game. You still respawn and start over. There are zero consequences for your actions...other than a momentary "death" followed by you spawning on the beach again.

Because of this, I feel this game is headed for a downward spiral.

That's what I'm trying to get across.

Don't get me wrong, I still love it. I play it as much as I can. But I can see the flaws in the premise showing now.

Edit: I posted this before your latest post Rocket. Please don't be sarcastic and rude. ;0)

See' date=' you guys still have it all wrong.

I think maybe you guys are too used to "balance" and the game simply supporting your choice to play in a certain way.

[/quote']

Are we?

I imagine a zombie apocalypse as dangerous, yet in DayZ the actual apocalypse is from the total breakdown of society. It's a truth that, if you intended, proves a very valuable point, so very well played, but there are plenty of other games that have a total lack of society. Heroics is hard, but impossible if the enemy is truly, 100% immortal. Remember the old Saturday morning cartoons where the bad guy is constantly doing stuff because he can't seem to STAY in jail? It's pretty shit for the people that have to clean up, and that's kind of what Survivors are: players oppressed under a Bandit force that does not die, they simply respawn. In any zombie survival stuff, the zombies are the real threat and the bandits (lawless/whatever) are a secondary issue. In many cases, the bandits would not shoot because it's too dangerous for even them, leading to the communication that so defines the genre.

This is your dream, this is what you wanted, and THIS is what I continue to support, but it will take a long time for things to settle down and the hype to subside. Until then, keep it up and remember that for every whine on the forum, there are easily 10 other people silently urging you on. If you build it, they will come, but many may find it's not what THEY want, and that's okay, just keep making what YOU want so you're happy. Those like you will stay with you, and those not like you will eventually move on.

Okay - why don't we adopt a rule in this thread to avoid the circular arguments.

- Post descriptions of mechanics to solve the problem' date=' and I will consider them and we can discuss.

- Post the same complaints we have heard again and again and I've responded too a million times, and I will post sarcastic rude remarks.

[/quote']

I said it above, but I'll clarify a bit: Survival is only a factor when players have something meaningful to lose. The goal is to make one of two things happen:

Encourage survival more via some mechanic (currently left up to player mentality, I personally LOVE exploring)

OR

Make the firing of a gun an extremely hefty decision.

There needs to be some way to make "shits and giggles" killing a very bad idea that is not just left up to a justice squad. Is that bullet really worth a can of beans? Bullets are easily found like beans. One thing that could be done is to increase the amount of stuff that spawns. I've noted that, with the addition of firewood, CZs are less common. Increasing stuff (maybe add magazines, general junk, etc.) would make bullets more valuable, so the bandit would be left wondering if it's REALLY worth shooting someone. This might also make the infected harder, as a horde would mean almost certain death. Maybe less Makarov clips on spawn as well?