Koot (DayZ)

WTF is happening to the server community.

All of this talk about a 12-24hr respawn time is ridiculous. It's one of the worst ideas I've ever read.

After a long day of work you sit down to play some DayZ and BAM! Some assclown snipes you 100m from the spawn. Now you've got to wait until the next day to play a game, wtf? Even worse if you're playing with a few friends, coordinating times in rl is hard enough for adults with work and family, now put everyone on a retarded 12hr cooldown and you might as well not even bother.

Props to Rocket for not caving in under the torrent of whining here.

Never had problems with bandits really. And if it happened, then wow big deal. Nobody lives forever. We are here to alphatest the shit out of this mod, not to cry for losing a pair of binoculars and a map. So our positions have to be reset every now and then for a cleanup. And maybe it just happens you spawn in the wrong place. Yeah, bad luck totally doesn't happen in real life. We can patch that shit out and make sure it doesn't happen again because elephants!

I keep hearing about this teaming up on TS thing. Not sure what kind of alternate weapon it is but will have to try it out of curiosity.

If anything, this mod might do with a few more zombies per house.

PS: isn't it the norm in gaming that the "bad guys win"? I never commited murder btw. Avoiding contact is the way to go unless you are sure of their intentions and don't want to kill someone.

And again to reiterated. Don't expect me to be perfect' date=' I'm never going to be. The sooner people realize this the better.

[/quote']

How bout you stop making excuses and fight tears with sarcasm as before? If elitists haven't chased the carebears away yet, I doubt you will. This is not the time to be emotional.

All of this talk about a 12-24hr respawn time is ridiculous. It's one of the worst ideas I've ever read.

After a long day of work you sit down to play some DayZ and BAM! Some assclown snipes you 100m from the spawn. Now you've got to wait until the next day to play a game' date=' wtf? Even worse if you're playing with a few friends, coordinating times in rl is hard enough for adults with work and family, now put everyone on a retarded 12hr cooldown and you might as well not even bother.

[/quote']

I think it is very unlikely that that would happen - in my experience 'assclowns' who are in for cheap thrills have short attention spans. Regardless, some sort of cooldown system where if you are killed within a minute of spawning you can respawn instantly would be sensible.

I personally like the idea of groups not being able to regroup within a few minutes if someone dies - if bandits or suvivors are going around marauding, it would be possible to pick them off a few at a time. Currently they can hold each other's gear and there is little penalty for death. If you absolutely need a DayZ fix for the day, you could bring up a map of Chernarus and plan where you will go the next day, or learn to read Cyrillic.

For the record, I am not entirely a man of leisure. I occasionally do some work and, once in a blue moon, I leave my room.

I am not suggesting it is an entirely flawless idea - I would be concerned about the number of people using exploits to avoid death (disconnecting, using third person to look around corners etc.) increasing, and it is possible that the increased fear of death could actually make people shoot everyone on sight. I personally find the latter ethically abhorrent, and would hope that people would steer clear of it. We would not know which way it would go without trying it out though.

Do what you gotta do Rocket... If people take what you say to heart and somehow let it ruin their day, that is their problem... Eventually they will get thick-skinned and not start crying about how "That man said things".

Your doing them a favour by introducing them to realities they are over-sensitive about.

Good Job!

Keep on being you mang!

To the rest of you... dear mother of god... be a little more succinct in your posts... some of these are a mile long... It'd be near impossible to keep up with the wall of texts..

The reason why many people kill now is two fold.

1. The risk/reward situation greatly favours the kill-on-sight people. There is almost no reason to need another person. Transfusions are about the only thing I can think of.

2. The punishment for death is restarting with a bit of gear in a random spot.

Some of you propose a 12hr respawn mechanic or similar, this will GREATLY impact on the kill-on-sight situation. You think it is bad now? Imagine if you couldn't play for 12hr's because you tried to salute. Not only that but I can see players leave in great numbers. No-one wants to be kicked out of a game for 12hr because some douche shot them in the middle of the forest for no reason. That would turn people away from this game easily. Bad idea.

I think something along the lines of this would be better:

A. When a player dies, the gear they respawn in is reduced for a period of time. If they die again, the gear is less. To the point of spawning with nothing, not even a canteen. One of the first things to go should be ammo, then the gun. Then food & water and so forth.

After 6 hours of no deaths, slowly increase their gear upon next spawn. The end effect is that if you don't play for 12-24hrs you spawn with normal starting gear.

B. Every time you kill a player, your starting gear is reduced next spawn. If you kill 3 or 4 for instance, your next spawn will be nothing starting in the middle of a forest. No amount of time will reset this. You will be punished for killing people, just not in your current life.

This aspect should be further investigated. The punishment for killing other humans should be a big factor on the next character you play. The more honorable you are, the better the equipment or starting location and so on., although I think punishing the kills should be looked into first.

This would at the least cause people to be more cautious, particularly if they have died recently or not, sucks to start without a gun.

As for the risk/reward of solo play, that will need to be further built upon. More mechanics such as blood transfusions would help, however I fear the engine may be limited in what it can do in that area.

Interesting idea about rewarding/punishing your next character based on your previous style of play and perhaps more workable than an excessive cooldown then.

The main thing is adding some risk which makes people stop and think about their actions rather than mindless killing.

Cooldown is an awful idea. Unless you and your friends are a bunch of tards and hanging around the coast, if you die it's gonna take you at least 15 minutes to get somewhere. So if you die there's still a strong possibility that you'll lose all your gear. I've been alive for 8 days so all these people bitching about PK'ers are just crybabies that made stupid choices and paid for it. Or got unlucky, it happens. I rarely come across another survivor and when i do i ignore them and wait for them to pass through unless they make an approach towards me, then i shoot them, better safe than sorry.

As far as the whole "The game is turning into a deathmatch" argument. I can't say it hasn't some people don't make it their goal to survive for a long time, some people just want to go looting for the night and if they die, oh well, they'll do it all again tomorrow. That's just how some people play. Stay away from other people if you don't like it.

B. Every time you kill a player' date=' your starting gear is reduced next spawn. If you kill 3 or 4 for instance, your next spawn will be nothing starting in the middle of a forest. No amount of time will reset this. You will be punished for killing people, just not in your current life.

This aspect should be further investigated. The punishment for killing other humans should be a big factor on the next character you play. The more honorable you are, the better the equipment or starting location and so on., although I think punishing the kills should be looked into first.

[/quote']

What your trying to do is force people to play the game the way you want. You want everyone to be nice to each other. You shouldn't be punished for killing another player, sometimes is necessary.

Rocket has said that he doesn't want to force people to play the game any particular way, hunting/killing other players is a legitimate way to play this game whether you like it or not and you shouldn't try to force others to play this game how you want them to play it.

I killed 2 within 5 minutes of each other in Pusta, heard them ambling around being too loud, called in global asked if they were friendly they didn't reply so I put a winchester slug through their heads.

Was it murder? Yes

Was is necessary? Maybe not

Am I still alive? Yes

Did I make the right choice? I think so

I don't want to be punished for that, I felt I had to do it, anyone who doesn't say they're friendly I assume to be hostile (because no one will admit they're hostile).

I've lingered north for days plenty of places to loot also,

only ever venture to a massive city. When I need to and if I need to go its always when its dark :)

Rocket, can I please ask for a favor and explain me (us all?) a couple of points in order to maybe better understand your likes/dislikes about the game. And I apologize, if this is something you told about before but I missed.

There used to be system of bandit skin transition. You removed that, saying that the system did not work and was shit. My question is not about why it was removed, but rather: when you designed it, what did you have in mind for it to achieve and what, apparently it failed to?

Next question. You said that "humanity" is going to remain, although as a non-operating feature, for the time being, because the game deserves it (I am not quoting you, but rather putting as how I understood your words - feel free to call my memory crap, if I got it wrong). What was exactly your reason for leaving the humanity in (unless that is gone too, cause the game no longer shows it)?

30 second - 1 minute timeout you need to endure not making any input after you decide to log out could remove the problem of people logging off in case of unwanted danger.

Also i am in favor of the respawn lock for a certain amount of time. While i do believe 12hours would be much, 1 to 3 hours would be more appropriate.

Initially it will make lots of people angry but after a while it will significantly reduce the run and gun attitude that lots of people represent. It would be cool to see how groups and individuals react in danger when they know it will have greater consequences. Maybe a slightly more sophisticated mechanic for this could be applied?

(Respawn delay time = fe. 2hours - time played since respawn)

In such example case if you died half an hour of total time since you reborn-ed youd have to wait 1,5 hours. If you lived for more than 2 hours, you get no delay for ur next respawn.

(this would also remove the exploit of constant re spawns until the most convenient is drawn (like near balota camp loot))

Rocket, just my 2 cents.

I dont think there should be a specific "mechanic" for grouping up, that should the players decide themselves. However, with the removal of the bandit skins, you have absolutely no idea what humanity a player has. You have absolutely no idea if you can trust the guy the slightest. Before, when the bandit skin and survivor skin was in place, at least we have an idea what kind of player we met. If he was a survivor, there were probably a bigger chance of trusting him, a bandit not as much.

We still cant trust them all in, but we had a first impression of what guy we met.

Right now, no one have any idea what humanity a player has, and therefore is killing everyone on sight just to be safe. That is not how it should work. We need some kind of indicator, like skins, what kind of player we're encountering.

Not saying we should know everything about the player, because who does. But something simple like the look of the character you've encountered gives you the idea if he is someone you can trust, or someone you should be careful around.

You have absolutely no idea if you can trust the guy the slightest. Right now' date=' no one have any idea what humanity a player has.[/quote']

I copied and pasted the parts of your post that are correct, and cut out the parts that are incorrect.

:)

Simple idea: The higher their weapon tier, the greater their threat rating.

Odds are, if they've got a military grade weapon they either killed someone for it, or have been inland and killed others to get there.

Nothing mechanic about it really. This should just be a player tip.

Simple idea: The higher their weapon tier' date=' the greater their threat rating. Odds are, if they've got a military grade weapon they either killed someone for it, or have been inland and killed others to get there. Nothing mechanic about it really. This should just be a player tip.[/quote']

Wow, this is incredibly insightful. I had actually not considered this, until I remembered the one time I actually held a CZ in my hands. I had actually gotten an Enfield from one player who shot at me, and used this to shoot another player (who hadn't, but now I was spooked) who carried the CZ.

You are absolutely right. If someone is carrying a nice, new handgun, a good rifle and is carrying an ALICE pack - all at the same time - they are doing something right! (And should be punished for it.)

Good call!

You have absolutely no idea if you can trust the guy the slightest. Right now' date=' no one have any idea what humanity a player has.[/quote']

I copied and pasted the parts of your post that are correct, and cut out the parts that are incorrect.

:)

That is your opinion ;) Mr. Bandit

(05-27-2012 11:39 PM)rocket Wrote: ...and add in that when you kill someone it has a chance to destroy some of their gear.

spawn new survivors without beans..... or,

when new survivor is shot beans spill and water flows ? (first shot is on the beans when center mass ? or canteen, and then the body in follow up shot shots is hit ? this advantage for new survivors goes away after first drink or meal)

(maybe a chance hit of a flare going off in the hands or pocket of a new survivor and set him her on fire when shot ? (only in a kill shot that is..))

to live just on the mags of the makarov is harder, it does not fill the appetite

Sadly that is the downside of something popular, it has pricks who come in and ruin it.

(05-27-2012 11:39 PM)rocket Wrote: ...and add in that when you kill someone it has a chance to destroy some of their gear.

spawn new survivors without beans..... or' date='

when new survivor is shot beans spill and water flows ? (first shot is on the beans when center mass ? or canteen, and then the body in follow up shot shots is hit ? this advantage for new survivors goes away after first drink or meal)

(maybe a chance hit of a flare going off in the hands or pocket of a new survivor and set him her on fire when shot ? (only in a kill shot that is..))

to live just on the mags of the makarov is harder, it does not fill the appetite

[/quote']

All that means is I need a hatchet, a knife, and matches. Then I can go get wood, kill noobs on the coast, gut them, make a fire, and cook their meat.

No more hunger!

I'll drink their blood if I get thirsty.

Cooldown is an awful idea. Unless you and your friends are a bunch of tards and hanging around the coast' date=' if you die it's gonna take you at least 15 minutes to get somewhere. So if you die there's still a strong possibility that you'll lose all your gear.

[...anecdote...']

You didn't actually said why a long cooldown/respawn timer is a bad idea. We're getting into details here, but if you have a a friend with a large backpack or a tent, he can pick up the most important parts of your gear and hold them for you until you get back in 15 minutes. He would probably not be willing to hold as much for a whole day.

Some of you propose a 12hr respawn mechanic or similar' date=' this will GREATLY impact on the kill-on-sight situation. You think it is bad now? Imagine if you couldn't play for 12hr's because you tried to salute. Not only that but I can see players leave in great numbers. No-one wants to be kicked out of a game for 12hr because some douche shot them in the middle of the forest for no reason.[/quote']

I reckon that the douches who shoot people for no reason would leave pretty quickly. I also think that less people would shoot for no reason as, on the whole, humans are moral creatures. We don't really like to properly ruin someone's day unless we absolutely have to. That is just conjecture though. This is an alpha with a large player-base. We have the luxury of being able to test exotic mechanics on a large scale. We did that with excessive zombies, we did that with bandit skins.

Why not try out a respawn timer to see how it changes the game? I'm pretty sure no one else has dared to try it before.

It all depends on the kind of people you're dealing with. Imagine one of those COD addicts on a real zombie apocalypse: they'd kill on sight. And that's what they do on the game. Oh, you don't like it? So you thought that a zombie apocalypse would be full of friendly people that would give you food, shelter and weapons to kill all the zombies? If that was the game's purpose, Rocket wouldn't add high tier weapons - as zombies are pretty easy to kill with regular weapons you can find at the market. I totally agree that in a zombie apocalypse people would try to help each other, that's for sure. But hey, think for a second... there are different kind of people all over the world (!). Imagine this: you're sleeping, and, all of a sudden, your wife and kids turn to zombies and they're trying to kill you. You have no choice, and you shoot them in the head. Each one of them. How would you feel? Would you still believe in god, karma, and all that bullshit? Fuck that, you'd kill on sight, zombie or not.

Players should spawn all over, not just on the coast. This way they wouldn't all be grouped together and would have to spend time getting places, so they might be less likely to throw their lives away.

Players should spawn all over' date=' not just on the coast. This way they wouldn't all be grouped together and would have to spend time getting places, so they might be less likely to throw their lives away.

[/quote']

If players spawned all over the place, it would be impossible for groups to group up. Part of the necessity for the coast spawns is the fact that the coast: A) Provides a recognizable feature that can be used to find friends, and B) Provides a plethora of lootable areas that in all honesty are not that difficult to plunder. If you have ever been to the North, it can be quite brutal, and throwing a noob into a place where most players have been alive for several days is suicide.