Koot (DayZ)

WTF is happening to the server community.

I do like the idea of finding weapon parts' date=' but how would that be implemented? While something might be a cool idea, if it can't be done within the engine then there's no sense in suggesting it.

[/quote']

I'm not really sure what's possible with modding in this game, I've never worked with it at all. I assume it would basically be that you have X items and Y item repair them in the context menu and XY Completed Item is spawned in their place. I've never repaired a vehicle(or found one yet) but it might be similar to that. Except the car is gun parts and you can carry them all around.

• Like 1

Short version:

1. 1-hour respawn' date=' unless you die within your first 30 minutes[/b'] (shorter 15-minute spawn?). Makes death have meaning. You die? Time-out for you. Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done. The PKers can still PK, they just have something to lose if they die. The players that want a hard zombie mod also have to sit in the corner, so griefers can still grief all the more effectively.

The reward for PKing just went up. I now can make people REALLY cry about getting killed.

No, I don't think this is a solution.

2. Drastically less gear to spawn with. 1 Makarov' date=' 1 Makarov Magazine, 1 Can of Beans, 1 [u']Empty Water Bottle. No longer can you die and then run to your death location and pick yourself back up. I've made it from the SE coast to the NW airfield on my starter gear, at night. Through zombies. And I got lost. Twice. On my starter gear.

You just made it a lot harder for the disorganized to survive, whereas organized PKers (and survivors) will have it a lot easier.

3. Drastically less common weaponry. More common ammo. Item spawns are not as set in stone as they are now (spread the loot). Military ammo still spawns more frequently in military areas. Result? Getting a good weapon is hard. You can't run to the nearest airfield and stock up on AKM and then go tank some people. Finding guns is no longer trivial. Reduces the number of military grade weapons in play and makes them that much more valuable. Do I take the stack of AKM and hope I find one or pick up the stack of STANAG and hope I find an M-whateverthehell? Or' date=' do I ignore the piles of ammo and carry food?

[/quote']

I approve of this change, however, I can effectively PvP with most weapons I can find. It's much harder to survive without good gear. This makes it harder for survivors, not PVPers.

4. Dangerous zombies' date=' cause right now they suck so much ass.[/b'] At a minimum, zombies can hit you while running. They don't have to stop and then attack. Runners could then attack you as they keep up. Pull a few runners (IE < 5, not 20 as it is now)? You're fucked. Zombies that don't run indoors, or if the slowdown is kept, run slowly. I've got more suggestions for the zombies, revolving around their ability to locate players, but the stuff above would be enough for now.

I'd LOVE more dangerous zombies. That'd be awesome, to be honest. Both for survivors and for bandits. Right now the only real challenge in the game is other players. Zeds are a challenge only if I let them be one (or get forced into making them a challenge).

Some that aren't my ideas but fit anyways:

5. No server chat. Only local text and voip.

Yes' date=' please. Note however that this makes it harder for non-organized survivors. Organized survivors and bandits will be mostly unaffected.

6. Zombies in the woods.

OH GOD YES!!! :D

Everything in the game enforces one type of play or another. The current atmosphere enforces shoot first mechanics. I'm not trying to make people stop killing others, I want them to think "Is killing this person going to be worth it?"

If you are a well supplied and a careful killer, it will make it harder for you, but nothing like impossible. Unless maybe you just go on a killing spree without taking a moment to think, which is the point.

As well as if you are a bandit group, coping with these 'negatives' will be much easier.

rocket..... you are my fucking hero.

I love this mod.

QQ CARE BEARS ALL UP IN THIS BITCH!

Being a bandit (especially a lone wolf bandits, which i am) are harder to play. Zombies want to kill you, Survivors want to kill you, bandits want to kill you. Yet i have been surviving for about 4 days now. I am either extremely fucking lucky or just not stupid, running in roads, asking for help, ''whos shooting?"' < FUCKING LOL EVERY TIME I READ THIS, giving away my position in chat, running with flairs, and assuming that everyone wants to be your fucking butt buddy.

That's why I stick to my clan and treat all other as possible threats. From now on I tend to shoot all others on sight, cause for too many times I've been punished for being friendly. Like that that time when "friendly" makarov-noob who ran with me from Electro to Cherno only to start shooting me in the back later. Apparently all this time he was tempted by my SVD. Anyways, 7 .45 ACP bullets ended his miserable life, and my clan-mates soon found me and gave a transfusion. Only so I could die in a shop by another Makarov Deathmatch fan who was then instantly pincushioned by my friends. It's like people don't even think what will happen after they attack an obviously good-equiped player. Do they really think that such people travel alone most of the time? Do they really think that if they actually manage to kill such person with their shitty Makarov taht they will be able too loot them?

I do like the idea of finding weapon parts' date=' but how would that be implemented? While something might be a cool idea, if it can't be done within the engine then there's no sense in suggesting it.

[/quote']

I'm not really sure what's possible with modding in this game, I've never worked with it at all. I assume it would basically be that you have X items and Y item repair them in the context menu and XY Completed Item is spawned in their place. I've never repaired a vehicle(or found one yet) but it might be similar to that. Except the car is gun parts and you can carry them all around.

Probably should have said "can't be done easily within the engine". You can check if objects exist in someone's pack, like with repairing vehicles. Not sure if you can force an object into a pack though... Canonically, it'd probably be more of a "I found an M4, but the stock is broken" type deal, where you then have to find another M4, as opposed to "I found the stock to an M4 sitting in a field". Giving every weapon a random defect might be interesting, though you'd probably have to have a separate weapon instance for each possible malfunction.

Do they really think that such people travel alone most of the time? Do they really think that if they actually manage to kill such person with their shitty Makarov taht they will be able too loot them?

No, they just don't care. Why should they care when they can just respawn and find someone else to kill. Maybe loot their weapons and kill some more people before trying it again. "Maybe I can get 20 kills this time!!!1"

---

The reward for PKing just went up. I now can make people REALLY cry about getting killed.

No' date=' I don't think this is a solution.

[/quote']

The risk went up as well. Sure, you can PK, but if you die you've gotta wait an hour. So does anyone you kill. If you're patient enough to do that over and over, fine. Go ahead.

---

You just made it a lot harder for the disorganized to survive' date=' whereas organized PKers (and survivors) will have it a lot easier.

[/quote']

And? Organize.

---

I approve of this change' date=' however, I can effectively PvP with most weapons I can find. It's much harder to survive without good gear. This makes it harder for survivors, not PVPers.

[/quote']

I can effectively survive with most weapons I can find. I could survive with no weapons, if I wanted. I'd just have to be sneaky, and I usually am.

Reducing everything makes it harder for everyone, and makes nice gear one might prefer to PVP with much more valuable. Do I risk shooting that noob for his beans? What if he manages to kill me? What happens to my AK? I'd have to wait an hour to get back.

Probably should have said "can't be done easily within the engine". You can check if objects exist in someone's pack' date=' like with repairing vehicles. Not sure if you can force an object into a pack though... Canonically, it'd probably be more of a "I found an M4, but the stock is broken" type deal, where you then have to find another M4, as opposed to "I found the stock to an M4 sitting in a field". Giving every weapon a random defect might be interesting, though you'd probably have to have a separate weapon instance for each possible malfunction.

[/quote']

Canon wise I guess I was thinking something like "All the good, unbroken weapons are long gone, best make do with what's available." Which ever way would be easiest to implement I would be 100% ok with.

Well it's not rare to find out that there is a lone/group of snipers in Cherno/Elektro killing ppl for no reason, not looting their bodies - just killing as if there was a big SCORE tab on their screens.

Whenever this happens, dayz feels like COD and it sucks, but PvP should not be punished in anyway, instead co-op should be rewarded

Go north

Shut up

I stopped beliving in Noobless North after I saw a survivor running round on the airstrip with his winchester ablazing. To be honest, I had no clue how he managed to survive all the way up there.

"Oh well' - though I as I pulled the DMR's trigger.

1. When I established a positive contact with someone, we go skype or teamspeak because voip is fucked for now. It s logical and Ok.

For all the rest, teamspeak, skype, muble ect. equals cheats. Is there a way to prevent this?

I mean, once the VOIP will be fixed in OA, will it be possible to detect those software?

If not i'll use my imagination and will try to convince myself those guys have a radio. Can honnest people have radio equipement too? (with batteries ect...)

2. Remove possibility to jump from servers. (already working on I think)

3. People get infected when bit, there is a bar on the right, if you didn't find your daily cure and reach a certain level on that bar, you start having symptoms : sudden pains (with player voice pain sound), horrible visions going on briefly on screen (that would freak me out^^) and blood goind slowly down. When you reach that level, at anytime you can turn to a AI zombie (and die and respawn) that zombie will keep your loot and loose what it got in hands.

That will add a dimension in the game since your teamate will probably want to kill you when you reach that level. Some will try to hide they reached that level, other will tell their friend to walk away, other will ask to get killed.. that can bring so much fun.

4. People staying away from civilization start loosing their mind: Vision (they see zombies coming to theim and shoot at theim but there is nothing, revealing their positions and maybe attracting real zombies) you are never sure if you have vision or if it s real. You need to talk to people to put that jauge back up. People who just want to be loner will have to find a dog (maybe coming soon I heard) if they don't want to get crazy too fast.

5. A beefsteack and a can of bean never regenerated your blood that much. You want a blood transfusion? Find someone to give it to you, that s all. This game needs interraction, you want it or not, this game is based on that. There is no good guys, no bandits, only survivors making choices.

BTW, when VOIP will be fixed, buy a microphone, a good one, I think in this game your speech can be a better weapon than a rifle... I hope so and i'll shoot at sight everybody not willing to answer on mic^^ (or sadly not posessing one)

Thanks for this game!

Mike

I feel a common issue with killing other players is it's a bit out of whack with the high risk high reward factor of the game. By this I mean that killing another player is almost always easier than sneaking past or killing a pack of Z's for gear. As always there is a pretty high risk associated to fighting another player, but in most cases anyone with a half a brain and a gun better than a makarov(even with the wussy mak I got the jump on a bandit and killed him) won't have much of an issue getting enough of a jump on another player to drop him before the other player has a chance to even turn and shoot back. (PVP is 99% of the time decided by who gets the jump on the other player. Better equipment is nice but a bullet to the head is a bullet to the head no matter which way you swing it) Also I know a good number of survivors who have PKed because of just recently getting PKed by another player. It's infuriating when you've spent 4-5 hours trying to link up with one of your friends (IE in my friend's case going from cherno to the NE air strip) only for you to get gunned down by some jerk with a fully automatic assault rifle that really has no NEED to kill another player. They just want to have even more loot than they'll ever need. Greedy. (So when he spawned he proceeded to find an CZ550 and pick off a dozen players in a sniper based blind murdering spree till i shot him for shooting at me. The Irony) Also I forgot who the poster was some time ago but give people a reason to work together. Make it possible for players to at night time try to light up the cities and towns by including some kind of power plant(s) that players need to reactivate and make those areas swarming with Z's. Or possibly have random events that give players and bandits a reason to go towards a position of value that isn't the s*** storm that cherno and elektro have turned into on many servers. Or another possible solution would be to spread out the spawn zones to areas that aren't on the coast. Any decent player can navigate with the sun/ north star and a given starting position.

Carebear moment: Make blood regen very very slowly please... It's really freaking boring waiting for a friend to come transfusion you. A bit of dedication to realism as it only takes 1 day to restore about 2-3 liters of blood. Im talking like maybe 1000 per hour or something like half day to get back on your feet.

tl;dr killing other players unbalances high risk vs high reward

PKed players are more likely to PK others.

Make incentives for players to work together

Spread out spawns possible.

Make blood regen VERY VERY SLOWLY

Another consequence of cross-server persistency. It de-contextualizes everything, making it unrewarding to play the mod in any other way.

The bottonline is that there's no reason not to kill everyone' date=' no weight, no consequence.[/quote']

There is a reason to behave. If you murder people you get a bandit skin which makes it more likely you will be shot on sight.

I'm sure it will be even better when humanity is re-implemented.

Bottom line is the game teaches a fundamental rule of survival - safety in numbers. Pairs or groups will make a would-be casual murderer think twice, since the chances of him getting injured in the encounter are way higher - unless he has awesome weapons and is hell-bent on being a predator.

Best bet is to team up with a friend (a real friend not a Dayz one), and when your buddy is offline stay the hell out of the trouble spots. And of course, stop revealing your position via chat.

No, games are too easy nowadays and this is one reason why.

The bottonline is that there's no reason not to kill everyone' date=' no weight, no consequence.[/quote']

There is a reason to behave. If you murder people you get a bandit skin which makes it more likely you will be shot on sight.

I'm sure it will be even better when humanity is re-implemented.

Bandit skin is being removed, as it should. I'm hoping the Humanity system does its job well.

What Suicide Mouse says is dead on.

We need something to put some weight on the decision to kill another surviving human being.

The current mentality would simply not work in a real apocalyptic scenario.

Oh look, you just killed the only living person in this area that knows how to do such and such task.

Nice way to throw the fact that I have no friends in my face. Dicks....

i feel you bro. this game is unfair towards people with zero friends :(

No' date=' games are too easy nowadays and this is one reason why.

[/quote']

As long as your hunger and thirst levels are good, no major wounds, no sicknesses, etc. It would be more realistic to slowly heal up a bit.

He's not asking to crouch behind a rock for 15 seconds and be good to go.

Get attacked by a bandit/zombie horde? Spend 3 hours getting some strength back. (That would be for a light injury of course)

• Like 1

You complain about freedom to do whatever you want in a game? I'm at a loss for words. Maybe you should just uninstall DayZ, change your diaper and go play ducktales on easy mode.

No' date=' games are too easy nowadays and this is one reason why.

[/quote']

As long as your hunger and thirst levels are good, no major wounds, no sicknesses, etc. It would be more realistic to slowly heal up a bit.

He's not asking to crouch behind a rock for 15 seconds and be good to go.

Get attacked by a bandit/zombie horde? Spend 3 hours getting some strength back. (That would be for a light injury of course)

That's what bandages are for, you get shot you bandage yourself, no bandages then you need a transfusion, can't get one, then you die, that's how it should be in my opinion.

Bandages don't regenerate blood. I think you may be misunderstanding something.

Tell me, if you were to slash your leg open right now, lose fair(nonfatal) amount of blood, then bandage it up. Your body would never regain that lost blood unless you went to a hospital and had a blood transfusion?

The best implementation would probably be to greatly reduce the amount of blood you get instantly from eating food in DayZ and just have it come over time as long as you are healthy.

Some serious proposals

I still believe in a "resting" system like in wow would work great in this game, the more humanity you have the more well rested you are when you logg in, a realistic explanation for bandits not getting any rest is because they have Posttraumatic stress disorder, both the one person playing and the character as-well

Bandits needs more food/water and get colder faster. again cause of their psd

bandits cant have dogs, the dogs in this game are moral dogs.

dogs smell people with low humanity from far away, cause they have zombie and human blood all over their face

low humanity makes you slowly go crazy

take back the bandit skin

people complaining that the above would not be realistic. im gonna rage on you one more time.

THERE ARE NO REALISM IN A GAME WITH FAKKIN WALKING DEADS.