Stings2pee

--- A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT ---

As you probably already know, you can JOIN and PLAY on servers that have YOUR ArmA 2: OA beta patch version or OLDER.

But here's what you didn't know....

You MUST be running the EXACT same beta version as the server you're playing on to be heard on Direct Communication and Group Channel using voice transmission.

9 times out of 10, players will NOT hear your voice on servers with different beta versions from your own. From my experience, text chat via Direct Communication appears to be unaffected on mis-matching beta versions but I have heard stories of Direct Communication (text) not working on occasion for some players.

You're welcome.

...And remember: you heard it first from Stings2pee :D

****Please do your part and help keep this thread bumped so other players can see it too****

-----------------------------

Still not working?

Here's a really useful troubleshooting guide for getting your mic to work: http://dayzmod.com/f...game-look-here/

Edited by Stings2pee
  • Like 12

I don't think thats correct, I have the latest version, most servers do not but I have been able to text chat many times, I have also joined a server where nobody could direct text chat even though we had the same version, resulting in us killing a friend with no mic

I have the latest version, most servers do not but I have been able to text chat many times,

Yes, that's exactly what I said: "text chat via Direct Communication appears to be unaffected on mis-matching beta versions"

I have also joined a server where nobody could direct text chat even though we had the same version, resulting in us killing a friend with no mic

Same beta version as your friends or as the server?

"I have heard stories of Direct Communication (text) not working on occasion for some players." <- referring to mis-matching versions between the client and server although I personally haven't had this problem. Also, this friendly with no mic would've probably died regardless since DayZ has become KOS (kill on sight). LOL.

Edited by Stings2pee

I've also lost items before going to an older beta patch.

I've also lost items before going to an older beta patch.

That's why you should try to avoid reverting back to older versions. Only update when you know the latest patch is stable for DayZ.

The same is true when you consider installing the newest DayZ code.

Case and point:

Hotfix 1.7.1.2

Hotfix 1.7.1.3

Hotfix 1.7.1.4

Hotfix 1.7.1.5

Theres a cream for that.

There's an app for that! :D

Edited by Stings2pee

That's why you should try to avoid reverting back to older versions. Only update when you know the latest patch is stable for DayZ.

I know, I was meeting up with friend. It was only a bear trap anyway.

I do recall seeing in a recent beta patch release notes that the VON comms was going to start using the same port as the main server, to reduce problems with NAT (firewalling, etc). That might explain what you're talking about, although I've never personally experienced what you report.

Regardless, voice chat is so damn quiet in-game that you can't hear anyone even when it does work.

You know, this would make something that happened earlier today make sense. Interesting. Thanks for the heads up OP, guess I have to make sure that I only play on servers with the latest ArmA patch now.

Regardless, voice chat is so damn quiet in-game that you can't hear anyone even when it does work.

Not if: the transmitter's microphone is maxed out to +24.00 dB (recording devices>right click mic>properties>levels), microphone slider is maxed in in-game audio options, and microphone is close to your mouth (1 - 2 inches). For hearing other players, max out the radio and VON slider in in-game audio options.

I've been like 50m from another player in-game and could easily hear them without increasing the master volume to compensate. :)

As long as everyone is properly configured and own semi-decent headsets, Direct Communication works quite nicely.

Edited by Stings2pee

You know, this would make something that happened earlier today make sense. Interesting. Thanks for the heads up OP, guess I have to make sure that I only play on servers with the latest ArmA patch now.

My pleasure. :)

Also, you don't always need to have the latest version. As long as it matches the server's version, you're safe. And just another heads up: DayZ servers running the latest version: 95724 are dropping like flies (auto-crashing every 10 minutes LOL). :P

Edited by Stings2pee

didnt work D-:

my prob is not only the mic but also shen i just type in chat. noone can see what i chat or type but i can see them and hear them :(

didnt work D-:

my prob is not only the mic but also shen i just type in chat. noone can see what i chat or type but i can see them and hear them :(

Did you double check you properly installed the beta version you THINK you have? Look in the bottom right hand corner of the main menu screen (prior to clicking multiplayer) and verify that you're connecting to a server that matches that number. You're looking for the one that says (1.62.XXXXX). Also, when matching the server's version do NOT go by the server name (some servers are not always up-to-date). Click on the server, and check the lower console. Also note: you have no way to verify your mic is transmitting in-game unless you have a friend to tell you.

If you're 100% sure you're joining a server of the same version as your own and said server has Direct Communication enabled, then it's defiantly a problem on your end. Try these: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52408-mic-not-working-in-game-look-here/

I really want to thank you for taking yout time to help others. Credit to u sir, u fixed it ;D

I suspect this is only true about a few versions, including the recent one, which guess what? MOVED VON TO A DIFFERENT PORT.

...of course you'd have voice chat version incompatibilities with that. duh?

I really want to thank you for taking yout time to help others. Credit to u sir, u fixed it ;D

Glad I could help. :D

I suspect this is only true about a few versions, including the recent one, which guess what? MOVED VON TO A DIFFERENT PORT.

...of course you'd have voice chat version incompatibilities with that. duh?

Sure, but when the beta patch was said to be "backwards compatible", one would assume that ALL FUNCTIONS of the game would be "backwards compatible". Just a bit misleading, don't you think?

I did not know this, thanks for the heads up.

No problem :D

Sure, but when the beta patch was said to be "backwards compatible", one would assume that ALL FUNCTIONS of the game would be "backwards compatible". Just a bit misleading, don't you think?

I don't assume anything when it comes to Bohemia and documentation. After having numerous very long loading issues when I first started playing DayZ I stopped trusting beta patches to be backwards compatible. I always match client to server versions.

Edited by random51
  • Like 1

There is no relation between beta builds and DayZ.

I used to manually update everything and in 4-5 cases I was forced to revert the beta patch (not that hard).

I never heard of someone losing items because of a beta build revert.