Sign in to follow this  
en187

DayZ Crash To Desktop

Hey guys, I am having an issue with Dayz crashing to desktop but still running in the background, I can hear whats going on but cant switch back over to it. I have to ctrl-alt-del and reopen. Now this happens in the 1st 5 mins or so of playing. This also only happens when I run with SLI enabled. Comps all clean I know its not a heat thing. Heres the specs if that helps, and latest drivers all around so that shouldnt be it.

Corei7 920

6gig ram

2x Geforce 285 GTX in SLI

ARMA2 from steam

Dual monitors (not sure that matters)

It sounds like your video drivers are crashing. When this happens does it seem like the fans get quieter almost instantly on your video cards?

It sounds like your video drivers are crashing. When this happens does it seem like the fans get quieter almost instantly on your video cards?

No, I cant even play long enough for the fans to rev up. I can play bf3 all day on high settings no issues, so I dont think its a heat problem, I clean my comp monthly also so theres not much dust build up

No, I cant even play long enough for the fans to rev up. I can play bf3 all day on high settings no issues, so I dont think its a heat problem, I clean my comp monthly also so theres not much dust build up

join the club bro.....my shits been doing this since i got it, i can play 30 mins and bam, then other days will be 5 min bam gone......im stuck at what to do

I have the same issue. Very frustrating.

I find that most of the time when it blackscreens I can either press esc (Opens the menu) and then press alt+enter which turns it fullscreen and restores the graphics, or alternatively you can press left shift+keypad minus and then type FLUSH to restore it.

Unfortunately however this does not prevent it from occurring in the future and also occasionally when mine freezes up and blackscreens, the program has completely crashed and I need to end the process in task manager and then reboot.

What kind of card are you using? I have an nVIDIA GTX 250. It runs just about every other game I have perfectly and nominally I get 30-50 FPS in arma2.

I have the same issue. Very frustrating.

I find that most of the time when it blackscreens I can either press esc (Opens the menu) and then press alt+enter which turns it fullscreen and restores the graphics, or alternatively you can press left shift+keypad minus and then type FLUSH to restore it.

Unfortunately however this does not prevent it from occurring in the future and also occasionally when mine freezes up and blackscreens, the program has completely crashed and I need to end the process in task manager and then reboot.

What kind of card are you using? I have an nVIDIA GTX 250. It runs just about every other game I have perfectly and nominally I get 30-50 FPS in arma2.

I have the GTX 560, i was at my logs seems that steam keeps crashing DayZ, but i wonder why? i even tried to unistall steam and re install, i get the same problem.

I have found i can play for long periods of time without crashing (maybe 2-3 hours my longest session) but only if i disable SLI.. I have read something about if you have dual monitors to unplug one? Not sure about that I have 2 and leave them plugged in but with SLI on it quits to desktop in minutes after getting in game, no sli runs fine...

I have had the same issue. Has anyone found any information about this?

What is this "SLI"?

SLI is for Nvidia cards (Scalable Link Interface). When you link 2 video cards together for greater performance!

I have a 690 and when SLI is enabled the game runs GREAT, till it goes to that black screen, I need to CTR+DEL to get it to desktop, Bring it back to game where it will run like SHIT, than I can alt+tab back to desktop than back to game and it will run like nothing is wrong.

This will happen every 5min to 1 hour. As soon as I disable my SLI (sucks because than I am down to a 670) I wont have this issue anymore. Anyone know of any SLI settings or anything that can help this crap?

any new solution for this problem? a friend has this and we would like to play dayz together

Only fix I have found for me, is to disable SLI then launch dayz that lets me play for hours with only one card enabled. Granted you loose the benifits of SLI but it still runs good and I can actaully play! Hope that helps

How do you check your SLI settings/turn it off?

I doubt I have it enabled, but my computer came with a shitty integrated graphics card (That's still in there of course) that I replaced with my GTS 250 so I want to check this out.

Edited by Grazhny Bratchny

I did some tests, and it seems this isn't a temperature issue; The thing will freeze when the GPU is at 90 degrees, when the thing is rated for 105.

I remain mystified.

DayZ and arma2 is very much CPU based. Now, i know what youre all thinking: How is that affecting me? my CPU IS BEAST. But, for some games like Arma, it'll only use 2 cores of your processer. I have an 8 core procceser so that kinda sucks. The solution: download the Arma 2 Launcher, and run your games from there. You can choose to run more cores by modifying your launch settings, which should stop you from crashing. Messege me if you need help

Found a possible work around, using dayz commander there is a setting to launch dayz with multi gpu support, havent had a chance to test fully yet, but working on it...

Same issue here, 2x GTX460's.

Dayz was working PERFECTLY until I updated to 1.7.3, now this issue appears, so there MUST be a connection since no other changes have been made.

Disabling SLI, game works fine, but frame rate is horrible, so that's not an option.

Tried:

Reinstalling game through Steam. No change.

Updating video drivers to latest from Nvidia. No change.

Running in though Steam or Standalone. No change.

Running full screen or windowed. No Change.

Checked dayz commander but could not find a "Multi GPU Support" option to enable anywhere...