boxman80

Full release - Map discussion

Same Eastern-Europe stylish map but not Chernarus. Chernarus has already been explored and it would be nice to see other landscapes.

A large map with lots of forests, a few major cities and many smaller towns. Also more points of interest like the Green Mountain etc. A big island accessible only by swimming or by boat with decent resources along side with other smaller islands would be nice. And lakes of course. People will surely get bored of Chernarus over time.

Edited by Shaimou

I think that just one city with invisible wall will bore us in very short time so why not make a huge map (a country) where u can travel from one location (city/village) to other by cars/ heli/ boats.

This would probably take forever to get it working properly but i'm all for a minecraft style, completely randomized map.

I remember when i started out in Chernarus, the feeling of not knowing where the hell you were made it even more memorable.

It would be great if they'd manage to make every server's map unique.

i'd like to see several maps, with several different ecosystems, with varying levels of civilization, all with realistic geomorphology. real world locations would be great, as they'd satisfy most of my desires. i'd love to see one set in the white mountains in new hampshire specifically, but i'm biased on that one.

Arma 3 map is going to be amazing, if it was that id be happy.

The current map fails to make use of one major thing. The sea.

Boats are a waste of time. There is nothing out there. I would like another massive island only accessible by boat

What it sounded like to me is Rocket is getting his own team from Bohemia so if they was able to put in half the stuff I've seen on this thread in like a year I'd be willing to pay $60 for it

• Like 1

A bigger map with much bigger cities, I like the idea if actual borders, maybe make it so your in a small infected pocket of somewhere and if you try to leave the map you run into mines like in cod lol. Bigger cities more islands maybe more vehicles(like normal cars), bridges that are almost fully destroyed to connect islands, much more guns, maybe 1 or 2 bases of just ammo, say an american/NATO/UN camp and a camp with ammo for almost anything else, but no rocket ammo, more zombies, a better rendering system and just a general revise of everything. Oh and the ability to have a group, I hate not knowing who's who.

I will be more than happy with only one map. One huge one! They can implement different altitudes and different weathers per area. For example, there will be a great loot place in top of the mountain, but in order to climb up there you need to have proper winter clothes. Heatpacks needs to be more relevant to the whole story line. Russia and eastern Europe are the best places to get this right. If you want US cities, wait for WarZ. Also, as stated above, all building must be accessible, and when there's some good loot, spawn more zombies when the player is 100m or farther. Not a fan of natural disaster; with rain, fog and snow it's ok for me.

PS: if the map have a railroad i would love to see those rail-push carts... I'm missing the name of those

Edited by McLovinCR
  • Like 1

The main thing I want is bigger cities. Right now, Cherno (the "capitol" as it were) isn't even 2 square kilometres, including the outskirts. The tiny suburb I live in is at least 10x bigger.

The full version game needs a giant mall. Can you imagine having teams hold down different parts of a mall? Mall. Mall. MALL!

• Like 3

We need a map with a much larger focus on urban content. I've been thinking about it, and came to the conclusion that a real-life megapolis would work perfectly. But not one with too many skyscrapers, but a more down-to-the-earth one. In this context, Eastern European major cities would do the trick. I am talking about places like Moscow or Kiev. They are both goddamn huge cities, while having relatively few skyscrapers in the skyline.

My only concern is that they might be TOO big - Kiev is over 800km^2, and Moscow is an insane 2500km^2. That large of a map, with that many buildings, will surely choke the current ArmA engines to death.

It would be great if the Chernarus map was expanded to include the whole of the country, not just South Zagoria:

This is where my beans are going. I like the idea of having the old familiar spots available, but making the world larger and more varied at the same time. Of course, spawning 67km from your buddies would be problematic, so it might become necessary to have it divided into "zones" that you could select on spawn. That way you can pick your starting point, within 10km or so.

But if I may be romantic and impractical for a moment, here's my dream situation for a "hardcore" DayZ server: Procedurally generated world, using a sophisticated terrain generating algorithm combined with some fancy logic for distributing loot-bearing buildings and vehicles around the map. Each server whips up its own world when it starts up, like Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress might, and then player characters are bound to that server, unable to move gear from one to another. I'd even go so far as to have an end-game condition. When it's met, the server restarts and creates a new world, and everyone starts over on it.

New, fresh survival experience every time. No more server hopping to get loot or avoid night time or infiltrate camps. No more mandatory hospital run to Cherno or Elektro after spawning. No more mad rush to NWAF or Stary to get lewt. In-game map is the only map.

The other feature I'd like to see is a substitute for the base building mechanic we have now. Arma has a built-in base building feature that never gets any attention. You can play it like an RTS, spending resources to erect barracks and fortifications and even make vehicles. I don't want anything quite like that in DayZ, but I'd like to see an option to fortify and upgrade individual buildings, or even settlements. A perimeter wall, some locked doors, a lot of scrap metal and time and effort and you could "lock down" a little town or farm or something. As you increase its defensive capabilities, the zombie spawn rate inside and near it is reduced, but so is the loot spawn rate. You'll no longer find rifles in the barn that you mysteriously overlooked the first 40 times you went in there, but there won't be zombies wandering into your yard but once or twice a day. Park your vehicles, stash your meds, hoard your food, amass your weapons. Players could still mess you up, of course, but that's the chance you take.

I dont care unless it has a stupidly big city which has enterable sky scrapers, large docks with maybe an aircraft carrier. This carrier could have high tier military loot and be an alternative to NWAF. It would be harder to loot because you would manage tight corridors in the carrier and walk ways. Also large open spaces where the planes, boats, tanks are kept in the main hull of the carrier. The only ways you can get on the ship is by Huey, or some walkways that cross from the docks onto the carrier....

Honestly i am not too bothered about the map because i know Rocket is going to build an epic map anyway. But i wouldn't mind a map with two or so islands the same size of Chernarus because it would give players more exploration and adventure trying to get to the new islands.. Also small islands off of those islands roughly the size of Skalisty Island on Chernarus that player groups could control.. who knows the possibilities are endless!. But a massive city like New York style would be awesome, loads of large buildings/sky scrapers, dangerous streets, loads of zombies.... Im not even American but a city like New York would be quite the sight.. the tops of some of the sky scrapers could be broken or on fire. I dont know how many of you have seen the film "The Road" but if you haven't i strongly suggest it. There is a scene in a city/large area and is actually amazing. This just reminded me of another thing, a motorway that leads from one large city to another this motorway would be damaged in parts and maybe to dangerous to travel on, but from a scenery aspect of the map it would look great. Anyway this is just a fraction of where my mind wonders thinking about what would be great... I can already tell the stand alone will be phenomenal.

There was talk quoting Rocket speaking of how it was possible to run 200 player servers. If so, my first concern is map size. Also I think they need to work on the spawn locations. Its going to be really hard to head North if duping is fixed. Currently there is already to much congestion on Cherno/Elektro and their surrounding areas. These kinds of cities that have huge loot spawns should be the furthest away from spawn to give incentive for players to move away from there as the current map setup is pretty much a head to cherno/elektro and play a quick deathmatch game.

I'd like to see multiple maps, And you can only server hop if youve found appropriate transportation to travel to a diff server/map.

I would personally like there to be access to a variety of maps. So keep Chernarus but also create a US map and a UK map, so perhaps New York or Los Angeles and use London. But the current map is pretty decent as it is bar the 90% of non enterable buildings but hey that doesn't stop me from having fun :)

a larger map with even bigger cities (especially liked the idea of a subway and skyscrapers), varied terrain (mountains with snow terrain perhaps which would require more clothing than normal on your character perhaps?), more enterable buildings and more varied building types (not just black and orange houses and stores :P)

Most important for me is however to stay true to the feeling of an open, WIDE world, where you actually loose time to travel from place to another and have to think where you go before you start running off blindly.

As for the setting: doesn't really matter to me,

nice topic btw.

À while back i Read something about BI Giving chernorussia an update and remake and maybe expanding it for dayz. Cant remember exactly.

Within the map it would be great to see a nod & wink towards the following locations that appear in various games and films about infectious diseases and zombies,

Mercy Hospital from L4D

Shopping mall from Living Dead

Farm house, barn and surrounding area from Walking Dead

Radio Station from Pontypool

Theme park from Zombieland

The Stadiums as hospitals and mass burrial sites like in Contagion

The anmial testing centre from 12 Monkeys

The hotel from Carriers

The apartment from Rec

Under ground facility from Andromedia Strain.

The mansion from 28 Days Later

The CDC camp from Blindness.

The USS Intrepid from I Am Legend

Easter eggs:

The monkey from Outbreak.

I think some kind of 'progression' should be in order.

So I'd like to see something like an archipelago:

One huge starter island with the capital as one big city with multiple smaller cities, a moderate sized harbor city and an international airport.

Three big islands (about 1/4th of the current continent) and two of those are connected to a huge starter island with a long bridge.

Each big island has at least one moderate sized city (like Cherno) and smaller cities etc.

In order to progress to the final island you need either a boat or a helicopter. Not to forget that cars are a must if you are to travel on the long bridges without being easy pickings.

Within the map it would be great to see a nod & wink towards the following locations that appear in various games and films about infectious diseases and zombies,

Mercy Hospital from L4D

Shopping mall from Living Dead

Farm house, barn and surrounding area from Walking Dead

Radio Station from Pontypool

Theme park from Zombieland

The Stadiums as hospitals and mass burrial sites like in Contagion

The anmial testing centre from 12 Monkeys

The hotel from Carriers

The apartment from Rec

Under ground facility from Andromedia Strain.

The mansion from 28 Days Later

The CDC camp from Blindness.

The USS Intrepid from I Am Legend

Easter eggs:

The monkey from Outbreak.

Would end up a zombie-themed theme park