ZedsDeadBaby

The tactical significance of sniper rifles, accumulated rebuttals and why they're here to stay

Do not take my AS50 , I kill you ! Every fucking rifleman who gets his dick head sniped every day because he is retard QQs on the forums , "REMOVE THE M107 and AS50 meow mewo " gtfo

you can blow my dick

chill out, I get you don't want to lose your AS-50 and I understand your anger. But please no need to be so angry, we are just having a discussion.

I dont have to read it all because snipers need to be in the game.

But jesus H christ man no TLDR?

Yes, the kiddie easy mode fun-toy needs to be left in so the insecure bandit can get their panties rubbed from the recoil.

Next you'll be wanting no zombies, and snipers to be in safe PvP-free zones, because that's just as realistic as there being infinitely respawning 5 foot long guns. Let's not forget that weapons respawn, and because of that, every gun has near zero "rarity" as it were. Yes the arsenals are controlled by clans (If you ask me, that's carebear mode right there, having tents) but there's still tons of the guns. The reason fancy/high tier guns need to go is because they're not rare, not from an economics sense. It makes sense in WoW, those raid drops are only very rare in comparison to you, but everyone has them before long.

Yes, I went there. DayZ is the WoW of the FPS: Caters to the people that just want an ego rub, makes failure pointless, and is all about causing grief to other players. Under the guise of "no balance" the hardcore is naturally being pushed out to make room for the EZ mode clans and casual FPS gamers.

Edited by Virfortis

I really don't think sniper rifles will be an issue once (or if!!!) the duping and hacking issues get worked on. Also, a big part of the issue with sniper rifles can further include the notorious inventory system. Taking alot of time on the ground because you have to work a wretched systematic process for fear that your backpack will eat things will often lead to a bullet in the head, provided you're in the wrong place at an exeedingly long, wrong time hehe.

Don't whine, just give it... time!

Get rid of alt+f4 cunts or put a countdown timer on when u log out so ur character stays there and then disappears once timer is run out.

50.cal insures there are no cheaters who avoid death. I'm happy there's 50.cal weapons and im happy to be killed by them.

Everytime i shoot sum1 with DMR they log out so im not even gonna bother with people who say 50.cal is to overpowered.

Its meant to kill in 1 shot. if u think it needs to be nerfed. then fuck off sumwere else.

Not sure going prone first is a good idea. At the range a sniper will engage you all he will see if a brownish or greenish field and u laying down without any grass around you. You however cannot see shit because you see the grass. Best thing to do is get in a bush or tree so u can't be seen.

this is the biggest pile of shit I've ever read. no offence but we used to use the SA80 on the 500 meter range all the time. the 600m range used to require very little adjustment for bullet drop.

maybe actually using a gun instead of reading about it would do you some service.

This.

Everyone bangs on about sniper rifles being realistic to the world, aside from the fact it's a fucking zombie game, but hey ho. I'm also old enough to remember the SLR and going shooting to Altcar Ranges, both weapons have a significant functioning range well beyond 300 metres,especially as the default marksmanship range was 600m.

With regards to the OP, sniper rifles are a pain in the arse. They allow chickens to sit well away from the action and kill people without any danger to themselves.

I fucking hate them.

Shouldered fired SAW is extremely accurate IRL; as accurate as an m16. IRL it isn't used like an mg42; instead the user fires short, controlled, accurate bursts from all firing positions, at both short and long ranges. It can also be used from the hip Rambo style if required.

A friend of mine is a SAW gunner, and he likes to remind me regularly that IRL machine guns are overpowered. lol

- Or the bolt action russian version that replaces the two others.

IRL most snipers use bolt actions partly because they actually let you engage multiple targets more easily than a semi auto. Can't remember why; perhaps less recoil?

I agree that sniper rifles have a place in this game.

The .50 Cals are way too proliferated though and to be able to fire them accurately from any position but prone needs to be rethought. I personally would rather see more generic sniper rifles like the SVD and M24.

In the stand alone I hope to see more focus on the social aspect of this game and less focus on the warfare which while fun is a bit derivative and is better represented in Ace/ACRE and PRA2. I think a great way to deal with this would be a hard limit from the HIVE on the number of "HIGHEST TIER" loot.

Edited by ytman

It is possible to argue for and against the use and presence of sniper rifles, however, they shouldn't be removed - they are a major part of this mod.

• Like 1

Arma ACE style sniping would fix this

• Like 3

OP could've shortened his essay down to one point (which he did raise): sniper rifles will cease to be a problem when duping is fixed in the stand alone. Imagine how rare 50 cals are gonna be, or more importantly: imagine how rare ghillie suits are gonna be. The ghillie is what makes the sniper so deadly, not the rifle. The 50 cals are for noobs anyway; they stick out like a sore thumb. I'll take the DMR or cz550 any day

OP could've shortened his essay down to one point (which he did raise): sniper rifles will cease to be a problem when duping is fixed in the stand alone. Imagine how rare 50 cals are gonna be, or more importantly: imagine how rare ghillie suits are gonna be. The ghillie is what makes the sniper so deadly, not the rifle. The 50 cals are for noobs anyway; they stick out like a sore thumb. I'll take the DMR or cz550 any day

However that wouldn't help the discussion as well as keep new readers, informed of what has been suggested and discussed already.

I don't agree that a weapon can be overpowered if it's available to everyone. It makes as much sense as making all but one weapon completely useless. I'm not referring to dayz here just to the logic.

I suggest a bipiod for crouched positions.

You mean prone?

You mean prone?

And low walls, because sometimes the best position isn't always prone.

Sniper rifles do not give anyone an advantage because even those with can be sniped. You have to assume you are always in a line of fire and move accordingly

Removing them would make the game nothing more then another unreal tournament. Quite frankly if you are getting sniped too often then you really arent playing very intelligently. Adjust your methods of movement , risk assessment and situational awareness

The worst argument on earth is that it kills immersion. The key to a gunfight is often first contact. If equipped short range you must be stealthy. If equipped long range you want to be slow and observant utilize the ability to establish first contact

Furthermore I can not stand the anti one shot kill kills immersion argument. Not only is it realistic but knowledge that I can be taken out suddenly at any moment is also exactly why this game gets your heart pounding. Take these things out of the game and its just another close range first person shooter running around like a mad man and watching your health bar