Anton17

Standalone, Arma Engine and if you would play DayZ if they separated.

Would you play DayZ on a non-Arma engine?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play DayZ on a non-Arma engine?

• Yes
    • No

With the eventual prospect of a standalone, where any details on the matter have been either unconfirmed or kept private, there's a lot of speculation about how DayZ will turn out when it eventually (and if I know video games, it will) gets put out as a standalone. There are all sorts of issues about releasing DayZ while still using the Arma engine. I'm not here to talk about those issues or reasons.

What I am here to talk about is whether you would play DayZ if it were to lose the Arma engine, which is still a possibility. Right now, DayZ as we know it is a solid thing to play but in actual fact for Rocket, its an experiment and a social test environment for the concept and idea that is DayZ. This means the point of it being an idea or concept allows it to be adopted in a vast majority of ways as long as it maintains the core features that the experiment deemed necessary to support, including using the DayZ blueprint in a new engine.

I don't know about the rest of you but its hard for me to think of DayZ without the Arma engine. Sure, its buggy, out in an open field for security and has caused more frustration than the nature of the game, but its quirky and is certainly unique and has what helped DayZ get to the new, niche audience its acquired: because its different.

If fate chose that DayZ would not be using the Arma engine as a standalone, would you still play it?

Edited by Anton17

Its not that simple a question to be answered with just 'Yes' or 'No'.

All depends on what engine, what its capable of, etc. also if Dayz standalone has any depth.

If it went standalone with the same kind of content it had now, assuming that content finally works, I don't think i'd bother. Currently its a loot hunting game with a lame loot spawning system, and offers little more than PVP and a 'collect 'em all' endgame where guns and vehicles take the place of pokemon.

Edited by Never
  • Like 1

no, dayz without the realism is just an arcade game as all the others.. and as they already have the arma 3 engine for testing, i'm pretty sure, they will release a full game based on arma 3 engine and i would love to pay a full price for this one!

and i bet war z can only fail due to the engine and i'm sure it will become a casual game. .i hate casual games with no skill.

i need something thrilling, something hard, really hard to survive, thats why i like the bandits in dayz.

• Like 2

with time and good programing any of the modern game engines could turn into a good dayz experince hell if it wasnt for dayz i would have Never even used the arma engine (though arma 3 is looking good )

• Like 1

with time and good programing any of the modern game engines could turn into a good dayz experince hell if it wasnt for dayz i would have Never even used the arma engine (though arma 3 is looking good )

It is way harder than you think. Consider this - in Arma 2 engine is more than 10 years of continuous work. Guess 13 for Arma 3.

Frostibe for example would not work, since it allows only limited interactivity + it has nothing to do with realism(recoil, bullet drop, movement, proportions).

I guess use of GTA Engine is possible, yet it also lacks most of what makes DayZ work (difficulty). Also it lacks a lot of interactivity to convey the feeling ARMA 2 projects...

Q3? :D

No, I really cannot name one engine, that is capable of what is needed for DayZ. It is not simply the matter of transforming World of Warcraft into something with guns, first person view and food/water economics, it needs to be created as simulator.

Edited by AverageTerror

how does frostbite only allow limited interactivity?

no recoil or drop...wut

I guess use of GTA Engine is possible,

Oh good Lord NO.

I hope the engine will stay, but will be adapted to support DayZ better. I think if you have access to the source code, that will be entirely possible.

There are no real alternatives. Frostbite? Too small maps, no real inventory or world interaction system. GTA engine is a bad joke, imagine a loading screen each time you enter a house, no thanks! I want to be able to look through windows and go inside/outside without any interruption of the gameplay. Cryengine and Unreal aren't really well-suited for such enormous map sizes either.

I'm not sure if BattleEye will ever be able to handle the amount of popularity and attention this game is currently receiving, so it might be a good idea to get PunkBuster into the boat IMHO, or if going for full Steam API integration perhaps VAC.

Guys why u dont understand that the engine isnt the whool game?

I guess u can make a 1:1 copy of this game with the unreal enginge3, cryengine or whatever engine u whould to use.

Engine != game, get it!

It is way harder than you think. Consider this - in Arma 2 engine is more than 10 years of continuous work. Guess 13 for Arma 3.

Frostibe for example would not work, since it allows only limited interactivity + it has nothing to do with realism(recoil, bullet drop, movement, proportions).

I guess use of GTA Engine is possible, yet it also lacks most of what makes DayZ work (difficulty). Also it lacks a lot of interactivity to convey the feeling ARMA 2 projects...

Q3? :D

No, I really cannot name one engine, that is capable of what is needed for DayZ. It is not simply the matter of transforming World of Warcraft into something with guns, first person view and food/water economics, it needs to be created as simulator.

just to clear up i didnt mean it would be Easy just possible. with source alot is possible hard as hell but possible.

i mean i once saw someone take the Doom engine and turn it into a task manager lol where monsters where attached to processes on his computer just because a engine has a focus doesnt mean you cant break/change it.

EDIT: all these modern engines psh my vote is the Q3 engine FTW (joking of course)

Edited by PyroXfire

Guys why u dont understand that the engine isnt the whool game?

I guess u can make a 1:1 copy of this game with the unreal enginge3, cryengine or whatever engine u whould to use.

Engine != game, get it!

But still different engines have different limitations. I doubt it would be easy to add a lot of buildings you can actually enter without loading screens in the GTA engine for example. And Unreal and CryEngine will have problems with the sheer size of the map. In the end the ArmA engine seems like the best fit to me, it needs only minor modifications to the inventory and world interaction system. And it needs to be less trusting to the client to make fighting hackers easier.

hmm havoc engine maybe? fallout 3 and NV had pretty big maps though there was loading for ALOT of buildings but i image makeing simple building enterable like we see in dayz already wouldnt require loading but idk ..ill stand behind them whatever they do

hmm havoc engine maybe?

AFAIK Havoc is just a physics and animation middleware, not a complete engine with map editor, graphics pipeline etc. The engine which Fallout uses is "Gamebryo", Havoc physics is just a part of it.

Edited by MrBrown

ah yep quick google its a physics engine no wounder so many games use it XD i feel so stupid now @.@

ah yep quick google its a physics engine no wounder so many games use it XD i feel so stupid now @.@

I ninja-edited my posting to state that Fallout actually uses the Gamebryo engine. I think that one might be worth a look, on the other hand in Fallout, Skyrim etc. each house has it's own loading zone, which I really dislike. If a house would have it's own loading zone, you couldn't look into the window to see if somebody is inside.

yeah but maybe thats just how they set it up do to all the stuff going on in the house/buildings that wouldnt really be there in dayz? idk im an amature programmer and no game designer by any means lol

btw... you are a ninja

yeah but maybe thats just how they set it up do to all the stuff going on in the house/buildings that wouldnt really be there in dayz? idk im an amature programmer and no game designer by any means lol

Yeah that's correct. Perhaps it's just the way Bethesda is using the engine, and not the engine itself. My bottom line is, I know no game released for Gamebryo, Unreal or CryEngine which has such huge maps and view distances without loading zones, that's why it currently seems to me as if the ArmA engine would be the best choice.

No. I prefer the ArmA engine for this sort of open world game. Any other engine would require alot more work to be done and a playable game would not be released for a good few years.

I just hope a standalone is deployed on the ArmA 3 engine.

• Like 1

Arma is not the only "realistic" engine out there. If rocket parted ways (99% he's not) I'm sure he knows better than to suddenly put it on an engine that makes no sense for the game.

Stupid question. I'd play DayZ in non-ArmA engine if it just had most of the features ArmA2 engine has. I mean, sure, if they licence something and add features or make their own, I'd be happy with it.

If fate chose that DayZ would not be using the Arma engine as a standalone, would you still play it?

If another engine would work out better for the mod, then why would i want to stick with the arma 2 engine?

DayZ can't change the core ArmA2 engine to address DayZ issues, without affecting ArmA2 and ArmA2 non-DayZ playes and servers.

This is the reason why DayZ will go standalone. Going standalone DayZ will still use the same engine or the newerr version, but they can make changes to the core engine without affecting ArmA2 or ArmA3.

• Like 1

I could not imagine DayZ on any other engine that I've seen to now. Arma Engine is just perfect for this, huuuuge, realistic looking maps, real time, realistic weather effects, all this adds a tremendous amount to the atmosphere. The atmosphere is the most important thing in a game where you mostly run around and only have some few encounters every few hours or so.

If you answered with yes, please care to tell us which engine you could think about.

I would probably play DayZ because it's fun as all fuck, and an open-world sandbox zombie game with no rules is what people have wanted since forever.

I love the ARMA 2 engine and it'll probably be better than a stand-alone engine made from scratch.

If DayZ gets ported to ARMA 3, I'll definitely go all out on upgrading my PC to run it at max.