Hey Guys,

I really love your mod but the server rules are a bad joke!

An admin rent a server but have NO and I really mean NO permissions?! He can't kick a player? Why? He pay for the server and if he has a problem with someone, than it is the decision of the admin and the normal users must accept this.

But here the admin get a warning message. Really guys, that's not the right way and I hope you think about it.

I have my own gameservers in other games and that's not okay what you do here... really.

Sorry for my bad english but I think everyone will understand the problem.

Don't know what server you're running but we have all admin tools available to us. It's our box after all :/ ?

Most of the server hosters own their own servers. I know if I wanted to bring the server down, tie a chain to it, use it as a boat anchor. I could. Maybe its somebody who is pretending to be an admin or pretending that they bought a server?

Well, the OP does have a point but, maybe this is a language disconnect.

Admins have the tools but, are handcuffed when it comes to enforcing rules if they are concerned about their status with the DayZ Team. The admin to whom he was speaking may just be giving warnings because the offense (not mentioned by the OP) is not included in the two specifically declared kick-worthy offenses.

Yes, he wants to control player slots, kick and ban people at his whim.

This game really brings out the little Napoleon complex in a lot of people!

L

Yes' date=' he wants to control player slots, kick and ban people at his whim.

This game really brings out the little Napoleon complex in a lot of people!

L

[/quote']

It's nothing new, nearly every gmod RP server admins are power hungry douchebags, they are not used to not have it their way.

In essence, you do not "run your own dayZ server", there is no plan at the moment to offer a private server possibility.

Instead, you "donate a server to help the dayZ project" because you believe in the project and want more people to enjoy it. If you run a dayZ server, it's not for your own community, your clan or your friends, it's for the entire dayZ community.

That's how this project work, don't like it? No one is forcing you to participate.

Now i'm putting on my flame suit before the McCartyist comments to fall.

You may rent the server, but it's still Rocket's game, I think it's great that's he's making sure that people are running his gamemode the way he intended it, and not the way the renter thinks it should be.

I know it may be tough to just accept people you have problems with on "your" server, but it's for the betterment of the mod.

Hmmm, ya know I must say, that while there are some a-hole server admins the majority are not. I don't think its quite kosher to berate the ones that are, show them a little appriciation for paying for an area for you to enjoy....

I have to agree that the rules are flawed! there are easy ways to circumvent the current rules that are in place and some are simply idiotic!

why can't I kick Cyrillic Russian players after I asked them 5 times to keep it in English because for all I know they might be breaking one of the rules about racism etc!

Hmmm' date=' ya know I must say, that while there are some a-hole server admins the majority are not. I don't think its quite kosher to berate the ones that are, show them a little appriciation for paying for an area for you to enjoy....

[/quote']

I agree. I particularly like to frequent the Chicago, Dallas and Virginia servers.

Most of the admins DO want to admin, not to be advantaged to be super players, or to give themselves and their friends an advantage, or feel privelidged, but to actually promote the community, build knowledge of how to run servers, experience the challenge of running one of these things (no WAY could I do it), and basically just be helpful.

Thank you, those of you who are these kinds of people. We need you.

L

The kind of person to complain about admin permissions is probably the kind of person who shouldn't be hosting a DayZ server. Nothing to see here.

A friend rent a server and the server was full => I can't join. So he kicked a player that I can join and now? The developers warn him?! Stupid?

It's the server from him and not the developers!

If the developers can not accept any other rules, then they should be to host everything yourself!

I really don't see how it's wrong with wanting to have full control over your gameserver that you pay (perhaps) out of your own pocket. I have yet to find any other game that has these strict rules, i understand that they are there for a reason but i still think it's a tad rude against the person actually paying for it.

As someone mentioned in a previous thread about this subject, perhaps having a total of 5 reserved slots on 50 total would work? For admins and others to be granted a slot.

If you wish to flame me over this, please try to use constructive criticism as there seems to be a quiet high number of people who flame/mindlessly following whatever said and done like a flock of sheep.

But he is still the admin and not the developers.

If he want to kick someone, than it is his right, because it's his own server! If someone can't deal with this, then he can play on a other server.

I think the real problem is that Admins make up the rules as they go.

I dont know if there's a way in arma to show server rules ingame somehow but that would really help. But then again this is a really hard game to keep an eye on at all times. As long as players dont do anything illegal outside of the boundries of the game such as hacking/exploiting/glitching I really dont see how any admin can justify a kick/ban. Spamming in global chat would probably be the only reason.

I have to admit, I do feel very handcuffed with the server I'm hosting at times. I run the ZA1 server, for South Africa. It is currently the only server available to South Africans. I run it specifically for that reason, seeing as the only other option available for South Africans are servers thousands of kilometres away.

I enforce a ping limit of 220, which I can't lower further, because SA internet is pretty bad and many local players have frequent ping spikes to over 200. I encounter these myself pretty frequently, especially now that we've had issues with the Seacom cable.

Now here's the issue. Many international players still manage to get in under that limit, and they fill the server up, meaning many of my local players don't get a spot. Now how is it fair that they have at least a hundred other servers dotted around america, europe and russia, but they come fill up the single server we have for South Africans? And then I'm not allowed to kick them to make space for the people I'm hosting the server for?

I have to admit' date=' I do feel very handcuffed with the server I'm hosting at times. I run the ZA1 server, for South Africa. It is currently the only server available to South Africans. I run it specifically for that reason, seeing as the only other option available for South Africans are servers thousands of kilometres away.

I enforce a ping limit of 220, which I can't lower further, because SA internet is pretty bad and many local players have frequent ping spikes to over 200. I encounter these myself pretty frequently, especially now that we've had issues with the Seacom cable.

Now here's the issue. Many international players still manage to get in under that limit, and they fill the server up, meaning many of my local players don't get a spot. Now how is it fair that they have at least a hundred other servers dotted around america, europe and russia, but they come fill up the single server we have for South Africans? And then I'm not allowed to kick them to make space for the people I'm hosting the server for?

[/quote']

I know where you are coming from, but with the popularity of the mod and the impatience/frustration of so many players unable to connect with the dreaded "Waiting for Server Response" message they simply disconnect and look for a server they will get onto anywhere, it does frustrate admins when others continually connect with 400 or 500 pings and lag the server out even with autokick in place and running, because they are just desperate to get online and have a game, Ive been there many times as well even on our own server, so i do understand their frustration. The mod is still in Alpha, and i don't think i've come across a mod that has exploded the way this one has while still in Alpha, hopefully just stay with it until the run n' gun crowd get bored and find somewhere else.

A friend rent a server and the server was full => I can't join. So he kicked a player that I can join and now? The developers warn him?! Stupid?

It's the server from him and not the developers!

If the developers can not accept any other rules' date=' then they should be to host everything yourself!

[/quote']

The expectations placed on those hosting a server are outlined here:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1429

To turn your reasoning on you, if they can't host according to the rules of the mod creators, then they should make their own game and host that.

L

And why? Because its his own server and not a server from the dayz developer.

Are you stupid?

When you set up a dayz server you are pretty much under teh dev's belt.

Why? Because everyone taht uses your server is accessing the DayZ database. Your server wouldn't exist if it wasn't for teh dayZ database.

If you want to use their database, you play by their rules. That or gtfo.

And why? Because its his own server and not a server from the dayz developer.

Again, if he wants to enforce his own rules on his own server he can do that..just not while running DayZ.

I have to admit' date=' I do feel very handcuffed with the server I'm hosting at times. I run the ZA1 server, for South Africa. It is currently the only server available to South Africans. I run it specifically for that reason, seeing as the only other option available for South Africans are servers thousands of kilometres away.

[/quote']

Definitely a legitimate issue. That sucks, I'm sorry. :(

The issue here is that half of the NA servers are broken or poorly maintained. Hopefully as more servers begin to crop up and admins learn to manage their servers properly North Americans will stick to local servers.

I guess the silver lining here is that you obviously run a very well maintained server and it definitely shows, and for that we love you. ;)

Nobody is forced to host a server.

The rules are there for a reason as this is a global persistant game.

Setting up a server doesnt mean it's your own playground. Anyone is welcome to play as long as they follow the "global" rules that rocket made.

At the moment there are two groups of server hosters:

1) The ones who are happy to support the project.

2) The ones who think they are hosting a private server with public slots.

Clearly group two have to realise that this is not the case.

If you dont like someone or if you think they cheat, bring it up to our attention (not by public posts, but by PMs) and we'll look at it.