blaxar

PLEASE. bring the starting gun back for use new players.

Argumentation in this topic is usuless, people dont even use contr-arguments only repeat like mantra same stuff and think they are uber because of this. Im off from this circus.

Sorry, i don't enjoy ADHD cod players running into cherno with fresh spawn shooting everything in sight. That was one of the reasons rocket removed it. Players used to be able to run up and kill the person that killed them. Hell i've done it before. But its extremely dumb for the person who killed you.

Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

NONONO

NONO

NO

no

You went into FIVE buildings and no gun? wtf is this bs, I was under the impression 1 in 5 people had a gun in their house...

^SARCASM^

This game has a big learning curve, meaning when you first start you will be penetrated by zombies in every oraface, but after a while you learn where the best places are to find guns and how to avoid/escape zombies.

Here's a few tips:

~ Guns tend to be in barns/military areas, they CAN be found in residential buildings however this is less common and they will probably be not as good

~ Zombies run at the same speed as you and they cant attack while moving so if you stay on the move they cant catch you

~ To escape chasing zombies try running up a steep hill, you will walk slow for a few seconds (they wont hit you because they have to stop to swipe) and then you will be able to run as normal, leaving the zombies in your dust as they continue to walk

~ Weaving between large bushes/trees can also work if as soon as you're out of sight you start to crouch walk or prone so they don't hear you

~ If you do have a gun then simply run into a house, at the moment zombies can only walk in houses so they line up for easy shots

Edited by PreDator123
  • Like 1

Sorry, i don't enjoy ADHD cod players running into cherno with fresh spawn shooting everything in sight. That was one of the reasons rocket removed it. Players used to be able to run up and kill the person that killed them. Hell i've done it before. But its extremely dumb for the person who killed you.

And once again, NOT MUST BE GUN ONLY SOME SIMPLE MELEE WEAPON WHO NEED AT LEAST 3 SHOOTS TO KILL SOMETHING. Most of you people dont even read contr-arguments posts, only repeat like mantra "no guns, no guns". Dont must be guns, but give some alternative at least, something more than playing in Forest Gump with single zombie.

This game has a big learning curve, meaning when you first start you will be penetrated by zombies in every oraface, but after a while you learn where the best places are to find guns and how to avoid/escape zombies.

So simple map bug using say this normal. I rather like 3-hit weapon to kill annoying solo-three zombies, than just run like stupid and look where I can use map bug to lose them.

Edited by Dalegor Dobrutro

No :( I agree with everyone else who says no. Trust me, its so much better with out a starting gun :)

For those saying that only old vets are saying no to a starting gun, I started after it's removal and I'm against them bringing it back. I like the feeling of helplessness when you first start and you're trying your hardest to find stuff to survive. You can usually find a hatchet within 15 minutes and a gun of some kind within 30.

and how bringing the starting weapon back would stop you from dropping your gun and go bare handed? why you even want a gun? you can just abuse the legal glitches and lose agro. you don't even need a gun or any sort of weapon, go HC and survive the pacifist way.

No :( I agree with everyone else who says no. Trust me, its so much better with out a starting gun :)

DayZ's first rule. Trust no one. So why should i trust a guy who says trust me when i don't know him?

Edited by MostlyPanda
  • Like 2

PowerShell, on 05 August 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

DayZ's first rule. Trust no one. So why should i trust a guy who says trust me when i don't know him?

THIS MAN. He's got it figured out. Learn from him, starting players...

Edited by Exo

fuck casuals go play hello kitty online adventures

THIS IS SPARTA DAYZ not some casual bullshit game

Bonafide product of the media, and those who gave their beans.

Edited by Shade

no no no.

no.

we will be back at where everyone cried about deathmatch on the coast.

we want to make one step forward at a time, not three steps backwards.

Why did u quote me? i didnt say that?

Never had an issue finding a weapon to start off with, barns and open houses are a good place to look, you can pick up the likes of a crossbow, winchester or a Makarov. Also check the outdoor toilets. Found a double barrel shotgun in one of those once.

when i start it as soon as i enter a city takes me about 10 mins to find a gun. i dont understand how you didnt find a gun for 4 hours wtf were u doing?

I didn't read every comment as the website is running pretty slow. But i "JUST" started this game 2 days ago and have 3 total hours playing. I "DO NOT" agree with original post. The reason: I can see starting with a "Gun" being easily exploited by both the respawners and even by campers. 1 exploit could be spawning, and meeting with friends to drop ammo and gun to give group unlimit ammo and weapons. Another exploit could be camping the shore line killing everyone to take their pistol ...

Now i could see them implementing something like a new weapon, maybe a "wood plank" that has 1000 durability, Doesn't last forever but gives you some way of killing 1 zombie who comes at you ...

or just give them a crowbar. I mean, srsly, theres no reason to pick up one, as hatchets are more common (at least from my experiences), and are way better. And then you had a way to at least defend against 1 Zombie, though probably at rather high blood loss.

Or just take it as it is, run into cherno or elektro, and rush the supermarket/school/Fire Station(s). You have nothing to lose when you start.

OP - if you're impatient... just run. Aggro the zeds (you can lose em in any building with 2 entrances) and check barns and larger buildings with 2 entrances for guns. Even a hatchet will allow you to kill all zeds chasing you as long as you are indoors - you have a longer reach and can move faster.

I started the game like 2 weeks ago and I also agree with no weapons. I think the amount of goods you start with is spot on. No weapons, no food, no water and a simple bandage is perfect. Gives you the sense of urgency to find basic supplies and a way to defend yourself. Without the high level of difficulty this game would be boring in my opinion.

Guns really aren't that great anyway in my opinion. The ones you find in the starting areas (if you do find any) are too loud and you'll end up aggroing a huge load of zombies and then (of course) run out of ammo at the worst possible moment. :S

I think the best starter weapon is the lowly hatchet. They're quiet, they have other uses (chopping wood for cooking fires) they never run out of ammo, and they're practically everywhere.

• Like 3

Beans for the above. The hatchet has a longer range than you would imagine - thing to remember is that it is coded as a ranged weapon (with a short range) therefore you have to make sure the reticle is exactly over the target before you 'fire', or it will count as a miss. This is counter-intuitive to IRL because IRL if you mistime a swing of a melee weapon you will probably still land it somewhere, especially on a target which isn't moving.

Edited by kander

You guys an your "I need a gun" posts.

I'll let you in on a secret - I rarely shoot at zombies. Maybe I'm an exploiting a-hole, but if you learn to ditch the zombies, you'll learn how unnecessary a gun is at the start.

If you're shooting aggro'd zombies in the open, guess what? That makarov isn't going to do shit. You're going to get hit more than you do now and you're going to waste 1 mag per zombie if you're lucky. This is in addition to giving away your position to other zombies AND other players. If you're waiting until they're going slow inside to line up headshots, guess what? You've already figured out how to get away from zombies without shooting them!

If zombies could hit you out in the open while you are running, that would completely change the dynamic of the game, and my opinion might change. As of right now, thats not the case.

Edited by hoorah
  • Like 1

As much as it pains me to say it, as hard it is to actually find a gun at times, as tough as it makes being a survivor spawning on the beach. I'm gonna have to say no, being a tough a brutal world is what makes Dayz so much fun imo, right from the off your kept on your toes, alway in danger, always looking over your shoulder.

Don't ever make it easier.... :)

• Like 1

I honestly think a newbie will get himself into more trouble with a gun then he would without one. Besides, learning how to arm yourself is part of the fun of DayZ. Nothing is sweeter than spending your first day sans-weapon and then finally picking up an enfield, or a revolver, or if you were really lucky, an assault rifle.

Even if you had a starting weapon, you'd still die over and over. You're just not very good at it, sorry.

OP, stick in there.

You're new. There is a learning curve. Like a lot of things in life, you won't be good at it immediately. Understand what actions need to be taken, learn from your surroundings and have fun. Figure out what makes the zombies tick, then exploit their weaknesses.

Just when I think the game gets easier, I make a mistake and it gets tough again. You live and learn.

If you don't like it, then you don't like it. You make decisions, you experience the ramifications of those decisions, and you move on.