Here is my experience-driven opinion:

M240:

Pros: Very Powerful one shot kill for zombies, the best range of the three, better ironsights (FN FAL style) than the M249.

Cons: Loud, rare ammo, smaller mag size than M249, heaviest recoil, very long so it is clumsy indoors for close combat and exposes shooter in some cases, only truly effective in prone.

MK 48:

Pros: Aimpoint "red dot" sight, one shot kill power for zeds, camouflaged, more controllabe than M240 and functions better in crouch and stand, just as short as an M249 and is usable indoors in closed spaces.

Cons: Still high recoil, rare ammo, smaller mag size than M249, Loud, still hard to use at medium/long range unless prone.

M249:

Pro's: Can use common STANAG magazines as a backup, largest LMG mag size, fastest fire rate, most controllable LMG, lowest recoil LMG, effective in all stances, short length for closed spaces, quietest LMG

Cons: 2-3 shot kill on zombies and weakest LMG, worse Ironsight than M240, lowest range LMG

In my opinion, while the Mk48 and M240 are still deadly, the M249 is the best LMG available in Day Z. Its controllable, accurate, combined with its high fire rate it still quickly kills, is useful in all stances and closed spaces, and arguably its most important perk is that it can use common M4/M16/L85 STANAG magazines in a pinch. Discuss whether you disagree or agree and why.

Edited by FrankDaTank1218

One big downside with the M249 is that when firing the guns muzzleflash blocks your view though the ironsights, so longer bursts are really tough to get on target sometimes.

I personally prefer the MK 48, currently using it actually. It looks cool and preforms well. B)

MK48 does one shot zombies

I referred to players. If he referred to zombies he could say so, otherwise it confuses other people.

• Like 1

I referred to players. If he referred to zombies he could say so, otherwise it confuses other people.

I meant zombies, I'll edit the original post.

sniped a guy on lighthouse the other day; thought he had a barret but on closer inspection it was a PKP. apparently this gun is not in the mod... it is also pretty shitty. was planning to run through cherno with it firing from the hip rambo style, but then we met a friendly hacker who spawned a chopper and took us for a ride, but crashed soon after. haha

sniped a guy on lighthouse the other day; thought he had a barret but on closer inspection it was a PKP. apparently this gun is not in the mod... it is also pretty shitty. was planning to run through cherno with it firing from the hip rambo style, but then we met a friendly hacker who spawned a chopper and took us for a ride, but crashed soon after. haha

Really? I like the PKP (in ARMA 2) as a great mid to long range Support weapon, it has a nice built-in scope with ballistic markings for bullet drop compensation too.

Perhaps you should go back to BF3 and CoD if you expect an LMG to work effectively from the hip, "rambo-style".

I don't know about the other weapons, but the MK 48 is extremely powerful, very accurate, and (for me) has very common ammo. So.... Mk 48 for the win! :P

I used to use a FAL most of the time, then I got my hands on an MK 48 and been using it for over a week now. Love the thing. It's saved me from zombies and players multiple times. I've never seen a gun tear someone apart as fast as this thing is capable of. Only exception is one shots, obviously.

MK48 for me, all the way.

It's probably just personal but the experience I have had with this gun is amazing.

If you have a clear line you can achieve a reasonable accuracy on a somewhat longer range (up to 500 / 600 m).

The best thing I have done with it though was ripping up a UAZ with 3 players seated inside. Killed them all while they were inside with 'just' 20 bullets in two bursts. I say 'just' because I felt like rambo and thought had shot half the magazine :)

Edited by tickle_me_jesus

The MK48 has the nice red dot scope, but it's too loud, if u fire it, ALL of the zombies within 3 light-years will come running, they even insta-spawn as your finishing the last lot off! It gets very, very Left4Dead. The FN FAL is the same.

I prefer the M249SAW, it doesn't agro Z's nearly as much and it has nice iron sights.

The MK48 has the nice red dot scope, but it's too loud, if u fire it, ALL of the zombies within 3 light-years will come running, they even insta-spawn as your finishing the last lot off! It gets very, very Left4Dead. The FN FAL is the same.

I prefer the M249SAW, it doesn't agro Z's nearly as much and it has nice iron sights.

I don't know why everyone considers zombie aggro a downside. Just run from them up a hill, pull out your pistol and knee cap or headshot them all and go about your day. They are more an inconvenience then a threat.

And with how powerful the mk 48 is, you should be able to kill the player your shooting at before zombies become a problem anyway.

Edited by bassist05

I absolutely love the Mk 48 Mod 0. I usually carry that or an M14 AIM, but it depends on what I am trying to accomplish. However, no matter what my goals for the day might be...I plan on making a TON of noise along the way. ;)

Really? I like the PKP (in ARMA 2) as a great mid to long range Support weapon, it has a nice built-in scope with ballistic markings for bullet drop compensation too.

Perhaps you should go back to BF3 and CoD if you expect an LMG to work effectively from the hip, "rambo-style".

maybe it was because it was dark, and I was using NVGs, but the muzzle flash was way too bright to aim at the target. and the recoil was huge. the mk48 suffers from none of these problems, and does the same damage

also the LMGs in this game work very effectively from the hip. you can mow 20-30 zombies down easily with the mk48; most vet servers give you crosshairs. try it sometime... you may actually have what they call "fun"

fagget

i've also gotten a 700m kill with the mk48; had a friend spotting for me through binocs. fuck im leet

Edited by Hoffies

I don't know why everyone considers zombie aggro a downside. Just run from them up a hill, pull out your pistol and knee cap or headshot them all and go about your day. They are more an inconvenience then a threat.

And with how powerful the mk 48 is, you should be able to kill the player your shooting at before zombies become a problem anyway.

Zombies give a visual representation of where you are. It's going to attract players to you like a flare and you'll probably die.

Wrong.

M240 doesn't have the longest range. It's not one shot kill, it's not any louder than the Mk48.

Mk48 doesn't one shot kill either. Ammo just as rare as the M240 mags, not too rare, I have 6 mags and spares in my tent.

http://dayzdb.com/da...apon-comparison

Pretty sure he means louder to players, not zombies.

Edited by xFortune

30secs of using the mk48, until i switched to M9-SD.

arma2oa2012080701273751.jpg

Lol...paved with zombies

But you should really try to one shot as long as possible. This is the same for any gun. If you fire multiple shots in quick succession it wil attract a lot of zombies, but again this is the same for all weapons.

M249 SAW is my weapon of choice. I played for about a month with 1. Its quiet to zombies really quiet. Even got shot once in cherno, broke my legs and i was just lying there. When i fell i saw the player that shot me and as a reaction i emptied the 200 bullets in my mag. That show of power made the player run like a chicken to kamenka. Never seen him again even though i missed 200 rounds.

Extremely easy to take out long range targets with that beast weapon too as long as you fire single shots.

Ammo is plentiful. If you run out of belts take the stanags.