cindyanne1

So can this not be played alone?

To your exploring side, have you found the bathrooms :)? I had a chuckle at those. You will know if you see them.

Zombies alive/total: 0/0

wtf, you farm loot on empty servers or something?

Its prob a locked private server which - is against the rules and technically cheating.... Or he's the only one on in the middle of nowhere. Seeing as he is going for a raid however... suggests he has a place to store gear. Which im GUESSING... means he's in a clan which may abuse admin rights and lock server.

But thats a guess and prob wrong. Ive never seen a server on 0/0.

To your exploring side, have you found the bathrooms :)? I had a chuckle at those. You will know if you see them.

I have! I giggle at the outhouses and how the doors open and stuff... but I find good stuff in there sometimes! Once there was a crossbow lying right on the toilet. And in my ill-fated expedition to Cherno I found a bathroom in a restaurant, which is where I found the watch and accidentally set off a road flare. O_O Since it was at night it was very pretty, but holy poop! I was sure every zombie in the world would come rushing toward me haha!

To the OP, yes you can survive alone. I´m a lone wolf, currently on day 22. I never go to big cities, can just as well gear up in smaller places, deer stands and avoid other people. After spawning I stocked up on food and drinks from zeds on some farm, lured them following me in to the barn and axed them nicely to give me some supplies. Propably axed about 40 of them, got plenty of food and drinks, and then headed up towards polana supermarket raiding deer stands and small towns on the way. I´m fully equipped for survival, from deer stands I have M4A1 and M9SD, two morphines etc. Only two murders, both times felt I had no choice. I hang out mostly in Black forest region, raid Gorka, Polana, deer stands around Msta etc. Still looking for tent and binocs, maybe M14 AIM from a helicrash when I find one (have stocked 5 smoke granades for ninja raid).

You could try sometimes evening time servers with moonlight, raiding towns is much easier, zeds can´t see shit. You can simply crouch walk through the town. I never go prone anymore, having broken bones too many times from that. Watch the towns from further away to see if there are zed spawns, it tells you if you are alone or if someone else is in the area. And always have an escape route ready, barns or apartments with two exits are best.

• Like 1

Since you thought you were already unlucky, i just died getting mangled by several zeds. So i was making my way through chernos from east to west, i raided several big houses along the south side, the firehouse, the church and some smaller buildings. I had a Ghuillie suit, mili light, all survival stuff like map, kompass, watch, box of matches and the rest, a CZ550 sniper rifle, a PDW with quite some ammo left + a back side arm in my backpack (BIG MISTAKE). So as i left the firestation and crawled my way cautiously to the supermarket (as i heard distance AK shots being fired and i was in no hurry in getting shot over my ghuillie suit), looting a binocs there. When i was steadily and undected crawling to a safe spot in the forest to the west of chernos, i happened to accidentaly pressed G instead of B, stood in crouch position and pretty much alerted a swarm of 10+ zombies... I got hit, bled out like 6000 health after shooting more than half with the couple of mags i had for my PDW, lastly running out of ammo and getting knocked unconcious by some fockin zed...

My point, u can survive on your own as long as you don't make mistakes like here, don't be a 'friendly survivor' (either avoid or shoot, i prefer avoid so no one hears my gun shots) and crawl alot. For long term survival you REALLY need a partner if you're ever gonne go in the cities or airfields... and i'm drastically looking for a 'apocalypse friend' with some skill as to how to play cautiously.

spawn on beach.

get to the trees.

find farms, small houses.

stay off the roads, stay off the tracks, everyone you see will kill you on sight or say friendly and once you turn your back dead.

this might not cover all people playing but since you cant tell the difference anymore between bandits and regulars....100% of the people you see will KOS. thats the best way to go about your days in dayz. its not a problem or a community issues either. its the game, its supposed to be freedom of play. you want to kill someone and take the gear, well what do you think might happen in the real world if society collapsed. thats right chaos and mayhem.

stay away from cherno and elektro. or novysobor or starry sobor. they are hot spots for bandits. trust us on this. youll find gear in the country side. walk off the road a couple dozen yards. dont cross open fields. if you have a good understanding of the lunar cycles...travel at night with a good moon. get a knife matches and a hatchet and water bottle, thats all you need to survive everything else is bonus, painkillers and bandages are needed but not to survive if you dont get chompped on.

morphine is nice i once craweld for almost two hours in game from the hills north of cherno to the hospital. to fix a broken leg. and shortly after i went to the curch and got killed by someone with much better gear.....its the silly no consequence style of the game, there is no penalty nor distinction for being a murderer. so people kill just for lulz. thats not the dayz i started playing. it has gotten worse the more popular the mod gets.

sad thing really as if more people banded together there would be more organized groups defending towns or points of interest, making supply runs anderadication the countrysid eof zombies, instead its twitch kids with mommy issues killing people just to kill them and then lol about it on team speak to other degenerates.

i personally dont find it a fun aspect of the game to kill lesser geared people. or to kill at all, i am perfectly capable of surviving in the wilds with my wits and hatchet. but you might want to start on low pop servers really low pop 3 or 4 or 5 players, get off that beach quickly and stay in the treeline. look up soem tactics for military cross country marching. military crests are a must to adhere to, that means staying near the crest of a ridge or hill not ontop so people on both sides can easily spot you. tree lines are your friend, you can crawl from the trees into a little berg and loot and crawl back without being seen.

and yes its a hard curve, but thats whta makes this mod great, its sandbox, and its your personal choice where to go , what to do and who to do it to. id rather snatch some med supplies and tool belt items and hit the hills, plenty of tree stands less zombies(tho i hear htat might change) and less chance of someone else just waiting for you at some random tree. binocs are a great find you can spend all the tiem in the world in a bush above a town on a hillside and learn all kind sof things. dont just assume its empty save soem zombies, there might be another player already on the other hillside doing the same thing.

also learn to check your six, behind you every couple of minutes, you might catch someone following you. i have. lost them in the woods and circled behind, turning them into the hunted for aq while then i proned out and logged out. could have easily killed them, but they didnt holler out or say anything so why should i? but i refrained from murder even though i had a reason. (following someone into the woods quietly is indictive of a bandit not a friendly)

what ever you do please think about how many layers this game has, you dont have to follwo any quest or story line, all you have to do is live for as long as possible. im on 10 days and counting, but before i would die after a few hours.

i have a couple friends we are traveling east to west north to south whereever our fancy takes us. we found a castle last, night had a bunch of stuff we didnt need, we just left it all for the next person. dont see the need to barbwire the place or sandbag it tank traps on the stairs etc. coz id rather someone else who needs a map or those ammo packs or bangdages use them.

if you have steam there are a few steam groups for day z. you might find a few people willing to help you go into a big town and gear up.

thats the wonderful thing about day z, you cna get a helicoptor going and make supply runs from rooftops, you can get a truck and go around gathering supplies, or a bus and pick up people.

i personally like the bicycles. quiet and fast. boats are slow but a lot of fun as you realize youre on a boat and theres no zombies lol

finding a port thats safe to fuel at thats the hard part.

so yeah, thatsmy pro tis for the day...... hit up the dayz wiki for more info.

• Like 2

You can play the game alone, if you want to... The point just is, that it is exactly what you will have to do... I mean: Play alone. Avoid all the other players.

Really there are 2 sensible ways to play the game:

a ) Try to avoid all the other players you see.

b ) Try to kill all the other player you see.

If you play alone, you'll end up doing one of those alone - or If you play with some friends, then you and your friends as a group will probably end up doing one of those as a group. Just don't expect to encounter any cooperative friendlies in the game (Surely, such an encounter can happen, but is way too rare to rely upon and base your playing style to).

Edited by mrducky

There are many advantages to playing alone. In a group you have to worry about everyone else's well being. If a member is about to die of thirst while everyone else is fine, the whole group may chose to stop what they were doing and search for something to drink. It's also harder to stay sneaky when you are in a group.

Generally, if you are playing alone avoid others as best as possible even if they state they are friendly.

Edited by Soviet Rainbow Dash

I agree with trying to play on lower populated servers when you're alone and starting out. I haven't been playing long and always play alone late at night (can't really use any voice chat without waking everybody else up lol), so I try to stay on lower populated servers. Zombies can be enough of a problem when you have no weapons or just a sidearm. Less players means less to watch out for and avoid. That being said, I am still cautious. You never know where the other players are or when somebody new spawns in. I've been on servers with less than 5 people and still been sniped across a field in the middle of nowhere.

The thing I try to remember when playing DayZ is that you live, and you learn ... but you probably learn more when you die.

• Like 1

you can play it alone without a problem. tough you need to know the common routes bandits/survivors use when going alone or in groups so you can predict situations.

personally i usually play as a solo bandit. i take out groups of 3-4 ppl without any problem. all you need is a steady hand and good aiming then you're good to go.

Stay out of Cherno.

This. 3/4 of my deaths have been there. Besides the supermarket, it's just not worth it for me

I have played the majority of my time alone. You need to think like it's the apocalypse. You wouldn't go running into town all nilly willy if you were starving and knew there were people out there who were starving too you need to stay low and hidden if you even bother with the two big towns. My advice... find a low population server to feel things out, head north west (inland) and play it very safe. I have survived in game for about 16 dayz now and I have a full set up, everyhting I need to survive even outside of town. It just takes time, and the more time you spend on one toon the more paranoid ans safe you become.

I tend to play alone, though sometimes I do play with a buddy of mine. I think everything that needs to be said has been said at this point. As far as people, it's pretty much a mixed bag. I have met random strangers who have been helpful and I've met assholes who will shoot you on site (even if you are unarmed or you imply you are friendly). Because of this, I tend to avoid people and areas that high populated areas. I will only kill if a person is armed and is in a threatening range. I would also kill someone out of vengance or if they are a bandit. It's also recommended that you do play on low-populated servers so the loot bounty is higher and there's a lower number of people who will kill. However, you still need to be on a lookout for I had a rather close encounter on a low pop server.

You meet the nicest people in Dayz, they save your life, help you out and then invite you to go kill people with them. Oh no, no, no, no, no. Thank you very much but I'm just looking for food and trying to get out of town. :huh:

• Like 1

Should of just went north if you had matches, hatchet and water bottles, you can survive with that :)

I been in Cherno going on 18 days now, no murders :) because I am nice, been shot at for no reason but just ran away, I normaly look for a fight but I fancied a change of gameplay for a kick :)

Just found matches so leaving Cherno and heading north soon :D

Welcome to DayZ!!

• Like 1

I've been at/around the northern airfield for a couple of days and was just thinking about heading back south. The game told me I'm dead and put me on default planes the next time I connected. I connected again and was back in Cherno. Amazing enough I'm still alive. I carry an AK 74 and an M16A2 M203 +M9SD. I also have a Coyote Backback, ammo and grenades. So, I do have some gear to lose and will shoot anyone on sight. Yet, I didn't have to. Haven't had any problems avoiding the survivors in Cherno, since they make a lot of noise when they are moving in groups (shooting all the time). Now I'm out of town, going for Elektro.

I think the rules for going into cities alone are: come well equipped, stay low/quiet and listen to your environment/evade groups. The problem is looting in those cities, since you need a bit of luck running around close to supermarkets and appartments without meeting survivors. I only saw a lot of dead ones yesterday.

Unfortunately, the most important rule would be to shoot first if you have an encounter. These guys did the right thing, no matter if they were bandits or not. Big cities are the worst places to be, if you wanna make friends.

Edited by S3V3N

I play alone 99.9% of the time, and do fine. You'll get used to dying, and won't get attached to your character soon. Just get a Lee, M1911, supplies (I don't want to list them all) and head up North for some sweet weaponry! You may come by a Heli crash site and find a nice weapon there, but you'll figure it all out soon!

• Like 1

there is a major different between survivor and bandits nowdays, survivors stay hidden if they see someone that dont see you, a bandit may open fire no matter what, one part stays away from trouble the other part seek it

Then am I half survivor and half bandit? I don't like trouble and I do tend to stay hidden but I have killed many well-equipped people who didn't check the air tower at the north west airfield but if I think I can stay hidden and they won't come in there (99% do) I won't kill them and if you say jump over my wire fencing and you were being eaten by zombies with a broken leg (Some guy got broken leg in the middle of 2 wire fences) I will shoot the zombies of you with my m9-sd and I will then give you blood and then heal your broken leg and allowing you 2 get away but I always take food in return

I'm nice too, Bob but I still had my head blown off about eight times yesterday. <_<

It can be frustrating surviving on your own when the loot spawns don't go your way, though.

It happened to me the other night. I was out of cooked meat, and my hunger was to the point of me bleeding. I searched 3 smaller villages and 2 bigger towns and couldn't find a single can of food. Between each town/village, I was looking through the forests and scanning all the open fields with my binoculars for signs of wild animals, but couldn't find a single one. Eventually I found a single can of pasta in a house. By that time, my Blood was down to 560. Hard to search when you keep passing out. lol The pasta got me through till I spotted a lone rabbit in a field. I knew my luck was changing. I didn't get the rabbit. It took off before I could get close, but I spotted a sheep. After eating the meat, I turned around and there was a goat standing 30m away.

Now, I'm back over 9600 Blood and doing ok. It just takes some patience sometimes.

solo is fine, but it's quite better to have someone watching your back