JulieMeyers

Please, DONT add a bandit-indicator in this patch

Well when this is added, I guess I am never comming down the hills for close combat, but is just going to sit on a hill sniping people.

This bandit indicator will REALLY help others in preventing me from putting sniped bullets in their brain! ... or maybe not.

Most of this was sarcasm btw.

The indicator won't help shit.

Bandits in groups could easly boost their "hero rating" by continous bloodtransfusing and so on.

While the hero type players going solo is more then likely going to look like bandits because they spend more time defending themself then helping the random dude who is bleeding a bit.

Sure more people will be prevented from backstabbing the fellow survivor after saying friendly if he is bandit skinned.

But do you people really believe that soon, every player in survivor or hero skin is not going to wack you for that shiney AS50? LOL

If you let a stranger roll up on you in real life, in a dark alley or in the middle of the desert where you are completely alone, then dying is YOUR mistake!

This scenario is basicly a white van pulling up, giving candy and guns. Some of them is going to take you on and make you a soldier and have good times, others are going to do some funky shit to you and then kill you. What you are asking for is white vans with the words "WE KILL YOU" and blue vans with "WEAPONS AND SAFETY!".

Good luck with that in real life, it will work just as well, the weapons and safety is still going to be a 50/50 chance of death and mutalation. And "we kill you" vans are still going to be 50/50 on w/e or not it is actually going to murder you.

Edited by slimlacy

Its why karma should be inherited to new "reincarnation" of player. So if you play all the time bad guy, you always spawn as bandit. So no more suprise attacks with "friendly" and stabing in back. Most of people who like to do harm you can recognize, in game we look like clones so wear can say something like "i behave suspicious you cant trust me".

I dont give a fuck about bandit indicators, i will still be safe and shoot on sight.. the survivor you see might actually be a recently died bandit who will still hit u in the back with an axe.

Its why karma should be inherited to new "reincarnation" of player. So if you play all the time bad guy, you always spawn as bandit. So no more suprise attacks with "friendly" and stabing in back. Most of people who like to do harm you can recognize, in game we look like clones so wear can say something like "i behave suspicious you cant trust me".

This is a terrible idea. What if I want to be a "good" player? If I am stuck with the banditskin I might as well keep on being a coldblooded murderer.

I hate to say this...but it's an alpha test people...mechanics are tested..tweaked...retested...and tweaked again. It's funny...anti bandit skin people used to quote Rocket saying it was never going to happen, telling people they shouldn't be attached their gear anyway..it's just an alpha. Now they're begging and crying....please don't. Shows you where the PK KOS mentality is at.

Anyway if the mechanic doesn't work it will get tossed. If it does it might stay...which would suck for you. But it's not really about you is it? So I'll say what you all said to me when I asked for this....ready?

If you don't like it you can go play something that suits you better. :D AAAHHHHHH...........

• Like 1

I hate to say this...but it's an alpha test people...mechanics are tested..tweaked...retested...and tweaked again. It's funny...anti bandit skin people used to quote Rocket saying it was never going to happen, telling people they shouldn't be attached their gear anyway..it's just an alpha. Now they're begging and crying....please don't. Shows you where the PK KOS mentality is at.

Anyway if the mechanic doesn't work it will get tossed. If it does it might stay...which would suck for you. But it's not really about you is it? So I'll say what you all said to me when I asked for this....ready?

If you don't like it you can go play something that suits you better. :D AAAHHHHHH...........

This is probably like the 8th time I say this. I have nothing against indicators in general. I just dont like the way they're being implemented. Did you even bother reading the first post?

This is probably like the 8th time I say this. I have nothing against indicators in general. I just dont like the way they're being implemented. Did you even bother reading the first post?

No...because Rocket gave no specific details about how the mechanic may work....therefore your opinions about why it wont work are baseless and speculative at best. Once the mechanic is released and you've tested it I'll gladly read your thoughts on it. :)

Edit: I read the first couple paragraphs...then stopped.

Edited by playZ

Had to log in JUST to give you beans. I DONT like the bandit-indicator either.

No...because Rocket gave no specific details about how the mechanic may work....therefore your opinions about why it wont work are baseless and speculative at best. Once the mechanic is released and you've tested it I'll gladly read your thoughts on it. :)

He clearly said bandits and heroes get certain types of clothing. Watch the video linked in the first post.

I skipped to the end after reading a couple of posts, and I'm going to paraphrase rocket here. Rocket says that people become heroes because they do the right thing. The right thing is very rarely the easy way. So trusting people in this game right now is really difficult, yes. But thats the point, in a real apocalypse you aren't going to be buddy buddy with everyone you see. Some people will kill you on sight because one less person near them means that much more percentage of a survival rate.

However the people who are medics in this game or who do give the fresh new spawns basic gear, that is otherwise hard to come by without having to go balls deep in cherno, are fairly revered in this game. Does everyone want this game to become kittyland simulator 2012? If you keep making it to where people are easier to trust and it becomes less about the tension of meeting someone new that you don't know then next thing you know we will all be running around killing zombies with very little to no conflict at all.

Or maybe people do want it to become completely PvE centered. Sounds like a really boring game to me though.

If this was meant to be purely PvP, why the PvE elements?

Then we might as well go for the Thunderdrome model.

The mod is great because it offers both.

-Kitty kitty rainbow people or whatever you call it, who play it in a coop manner, helping or avoid strangers and attempting to follow a code, where selfdefense is the only excuse for aggression.

-Other players, since you already played the name calling card, let me be mature and call them compatative PvP oriented 12 old COD kiddies, who primarily play Days for PvP and see zombies, just as a part of the scenery.

The interesting aspect of DayZ is that we hare have a mod, where the two polar opposites Coop and DM competes for the same loot in the same teather. This means that a highly unpredictable and dangerous element is introduced to the Coop players, because in order to get the top tier gear, they have to venture into contested PvP zones. They also risk random encounters in the wilderness, but there the risk and loot is reduced.

The interesting aspect for PvP players is they are not limited to facepwning n00bs on sight, but if they play things right, they can find great joy in befriending a stranger, only to spin an elaborate betrail, ending in death and some loot. They can also set up kill zones, near hospitals and other lukerative areas and wait for the prey to attempt to get close to the watering hole and then rain down high caliber rounds on the unsuspecting or desperate.

By removing bandit skins, any reason to avoid KOS slowly dissappeared. This meant the vast majority only were introduced to deathmatch. The player interactions became simplified, everyone ran or fought. This is why humanity indicators are being re-introduced, because with their removal, DayZ's unique mix of Coop and DM was removed.

If you allow humanity to be reset, you allow the same lack consequence, as with the removal of bandit skins. People who take great effort to maintain their humanity score, placing themself at great disadvantage in confrontations are punnished, while people playing reckless and dying, i.e. losing the game and simply lose their negative bandit score by failing the game.

If you change your ways, becomming a friendly, you must pay the same dues, friendlies pay. This means that you must endure peacefully waiting while you negative humanity ticks down or do good deeds. Humanity by the way increase at an alarming rate, you have to kill alot of players, to actually maintain negative humanity. If you by accident have to travel to the opposite side of the map and play without murdering fools for a couple of hours, unless you're the most dedicated hardcore massmurder, you'll automatically regenerate enough humanity to become the CEO of Unicef or President of the unicorm foundation.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

I like the point made about it being more realistic, however I do agree that it would be nice to have some kind of indicator. Even in reality when you're around people that act suspiciously you get a feeling about them. Since the faces in DayZ/ArmA2 are fairly emotionless, it would be nice to have some other kind of compensation. Me personally, I would rather die and find out someone is not trustworthy, respawn and move on knowing that person is a liar than play with them for awhile only to be back stabbed. So usually I offer to share with them whatever they want, even if it means giving them the sweet new gun I found, and proving to them I'm more valuable alive than dead in combat and in company. I've met some really cool people out there, and we've had some great times... chasing rabbits, sniping goats... raiding farmhouses and killing a TON of zeds. You can't replace the feeling of trust you get from long hours of invested time in a friendship. And ya, if they betray you it hurts, but just like everything else in the game you find a way to move on. I definately wouldn't want to lose that aspect of the game either. I'm sure there's a way to have it both ways, but if I had to choose one or the other I'd choose having to trust people. It's a much more rewarding way to play.

• Like 1

He clearly said bandits and heroes get certain types of clothing. Watch the video linked in the first post.

I watched the video last week....You're right. He said he MIGHT try using bandit/hero skins but he didn't say what would have to happen for on to GET the skins. The skin is just the final on-screen result of the mechanic. The mechanic itself couldbe as complex and intricate as he wishes to make it or as simple as....you murder you get a skin. So what Rocket said was that he really wants to try and work out how to visually represent someones humanity level. The hat or scarf or blood on the hands is really irrelevant. What's important are the variables involved with how ones humanity is calculated. He gave no indication as to whether he was reworking that system or if he was going to leave the current system in place. I would assume that he is reworking how humanity is calculated because otherwise he would just be bringing back the exact same thing he tried last time but with a different skin. But honestly we will just have to wait and see and give our feedback once we've tried it.

He clearly stated he wants to try it. He clearly he said He's THINKING ABOUT trying it in this patch. So speculation doesn't really help. It's fine to say what you would like implemented. To state why a mechanic that doesn't yet exist will not work is well.....useless. I'm sorry.

Edited by playZ

He clearly he said He's THINKING ABOUT trying it in this patch.

Hence this thread. Thank you for clearing that up. If he will implement indicators I want him to do it in a manner so that it feels realistic in the game. That's all. No need to go bananas. You got a problem with realism? Why? It's good that the game is authentic, right?

I am sure we agree. You just misunderstand me.

Edited by JulieMeyers

you guys probley die so much because your running around cherno or elecktro...so stop your crying about getting killed, you guys are worse and more anoying than the "shoot on sight" people, maybe you should get better at the game then complain about the problems because when i first started i got killed by everyone but now im hardly ever seen by other players, and yes im a bandit who kills people for fun sometime BUT only people who look like a challenge not noobs with nothing and i dont kill EVERYONE i see just most people and if you want it to be "realistic/authenic" in real life if this happed i would say that at least of te people would become bandits... and to people who say "but he said hes friendly" if they say hes friendly hes most likely a bandit... and im not saying dont trust anybody because i have met some nice people and ive had my share of backstabbers but insted of complaining about it on the forums i learned from it and changed how i played and eventualy fould a good plaing style and kept using it and i havent died in 10 or so days not just because im always north but because im not stupid and can kill people or hide from people if i need to, so if your a noob and complaining just learn form your mistakes and deal with, because if you think about, your the one that let the bandit see you...

This is a terrible idea. What if I want to be a "good" player? If I am stuck with the banditskin I might as well keep on being a coldblooded murderer.

If you behave as "bad" player so why you afraid of consequences of being bad? At least will be more true bad players who want to be bad, and dont afraid challenge. And rest of people at least think before shoot someone at sight (ofc if he is not in bandit suit).

Edited by Dalegor Dobrutro

I don't understand the problem,

Anyone who has played the MOD for more than a week knows "friendly" is rarely the case but I am sure everyone wants to co-op more.

The objective to survive actually become relatively easy after you get your basic gear, its really the bandits that end up taking you out.

What else is there to do when you have mastered the survival side of it?

Several people have commented on a "safe zone" this may prove useful in getting people together without them shooting on sight, more organised groups can then roam out together and are more likely to defeat solo guys.

The flip side

This allows bandits to also team up and turtle on high value resources bandits or not at least they are working together as a team.

This makes it more challenging for both sides, bandits and survivors.

To make a wish

Perhaps consider including grouping system like in battlefield 3 when you can create squads for people to join this could assist in the "locating my buddy" portion of the game which often takes up to an hour of the night.

I hope the skins are coming back! While they might not be authentic, the low inhibition threshold we see when killing other people in the game isn't authentic either. And the skins are one possible way to counter that. In the end, you won't get 100% authentic gameplay by throwing people into a 100% authentic sandbox, that's just naive. You need mechanisms to stop people from jerking around and abusing their internet anonymity. I think the skins are going into the right direction concerning that.

• Like 1

.......and suddenly you magically get a hat from heaven when you kill somebody.........

I'm hardly going bananas trust me :) Anyway this is where i stopped reading your post. It kinda says it all.

I hope the skins are coming back! While they might not be authentic, the low inhibition threshold we see when killing other people in the game isn't authentic either. And the skins are one possible way to counter that. In the end, you won't get 100% authentic gameplay by throwing people into a 100% authentic sandbox, that's just naive. You need mechanisms to stop people from jerking around and abusing their internet anonymity. I think the skins are going into the right direction concerning that.

Singing under this, if there is no in game consequence people just abuse jerking around. And game is not survival sandbox only deadmatch. If I want play deadmatch I start something more brainless.

I'm hardly going bananas trust me :) Anyway this is where i stopped reading your post. It kinda says it all.

i like your signature thing lol

Indicators could still be made in a more realistic manner. That's what I am trying to say. There's one thing I that not a lot of people think about. What about weapon holstering? If somebody points a gun to your head its just instinct to shoot first. If everybody werent walking around with guns pointed then maybe there would be less deaths happening. A lot of things can be made to lower the number of people getting killed.

Well, that is what will happen. You gain an item from NOWHERE. It magically appears when you do something. Soon enough you'll want to hear a voice saying m-m-m-monsterkill when you make a lot of murders too I guess.

Edited by JulieMeyers

Well, that is what will happen. You gain an item from NOWHERE. It magically appears when you do something. Soon enough you'll want to hear a voice saying m-m-m-monsterkill when you make a lot of murders too I guess.

It's not magic...It's called a procedure. There are numbers involved, conditional loops, equations with dynamic variables. And it doesn't come from nowhere. The procedure returns a number which is called your humanity. Your humanity is a result of your actions and choices. Those actions and choices are the dynamic variables that are fed into the conditional loop. When that loop hits upon the pre-defined condition an action occurs. In this case that action being a visual representation of your humanity. I don't know maybe it is magic. It certainly can be beautiful when done cleverly.

So if the mechanic isn't introduced with this patch hopefully the reason will be that Rocket is working out some gorgeous bit of code that will blow every ones socks off. wheww.

Edited by playZ
  • Like 1

It's not magic...It's called a procedure. There are numbers involved, conditional loops, equations with dynamic variables. And it doesn't come from nowhere. The procedure returns a number which is called your humanity. Your humanity is a result of your actions and choices. Those actions and choices are the dynamic variables that are fed into the conditional loop. When that loop hits upon the pre-defined condition an action occurs. In this case that action being a visual representation of your humanity. I don't know maybe it is magic. It certainly can be beautiful when done cleverly.

Not magic in a programming point of view but for the player who wants immersion that's truly magic. You get what I am saying. I get the feeling that you're just trying to troll me. Successfully at that.

Alive characters: 793,356

Bandits Alive: 132,482

I'm suprised by the people who complain about the "COD mentality" and then demand we change things in a direction that is clearly more video gamey. We're just moving from free for all Deathmatch to Team Deathmatch. I don't see a difference between the player who logs in just to run around murdering other players, and the player who opens fire on every single person in a bandit skin. You only want the identifier back so you can play exactly the same way they do, open fire on anyone whom you perceive to be hostile. There are plenty of other things that could be changed that would lower the amount of players killing each other, unfortunately the very same people who complain about pking are the ones who already think weapons are too rare or the mod is too difficult. They'd prefer we just remove the human drama and play meta gaming factions. They don't mind the pvp, they just want it served in a dish that can adhere to. Hopefully in the future there will be changes and we won't need this anymore. Player interaction is the main source of tension in Dayz, having a magic indicator only removes the need for you to do any investigation of your own. This isn't any different from people complaining that the mod is too hard and asking to make it easier, either way you're having your hand held and not making decisions for yourself.

Edited by LastShenanigan
  • Like 1