Jeff (DayZ)

Food and water being used offline

main problem is the loading time, since your character is actually in the game while you have a black screen your thirst and hunger will still be flashing and you can potentially die

main problem is the loading time' date=' since your character is actually in the game while you have a black screen your thirst and hunger will still be flashing and you can potentially die

[/quote']

Are you sure about this? I've logged in a minute before my buddy and he starts walking about a second after he spawns.

main problem is the loading time' date=' since your character is actually in the game while you have a black screen your thirst and hunger will still be flashing and you can potentially die

[/quote']

Are you sure about this? I've logged in a minute before my buddy and he starts walking about a second after he spawns.

im fairly certain you spawn sometime around the getting player id message, i have killed a couple people that were loading in

i like hunger and thirst system, i dont like being puniced for not playing.

pretty sure this is a bug with the character database or server databases or something, not food/water being used while logged out. I've encountered the opposite happening on many occasions if not more often.

Maybe instead of flashing red, we should just go to red?

The simplest counter against this then' date=' is to always log-off with some food/drink in your inventory. That way, you can relax knowing that no matter when you log in, you'll instantly be able to solve the hunger/thirst issue and you'll suffer zero blood loss. :)

[/quote']

This is actually not true, as blood loss begins as soon as you start loading in. I lost blood just last night because I logged in and had to take 5 seconds to open my can of beans.

i hope it gets changed in 1.5.8 so i can play again. any news from rocket?

I agree with the first post i don't think you should be penalised for not playing by making your character piratically dead soon as you log back in. It's an unfair system i think there should be an alternative to food & water starvation.

I don't like nerfing the game too much but I totally agree with this.

Same. I haaaaate making the game easier for casuals, but there is nothing difficult / challenging about this system. If you can't log in once every day or two, a game shouldn't punish you.

As far as game mechanics go, rewarding dedication = good, but punishing people for not logging on for a few days = bad.

making your character piratically dead soon as you log back in.

I've been away for a day or two, and it doesn't cause anything but makes me hungry and thirsty when I log in next time. After logging in I just eat the food and drink the soda that I've saved in my inventory before logging out.

Has anyone test how long you can be logged out before dying?

I left my guy yesterday in a small room of a 1st floor warehouse with water and two cans of beans.

Has anyone test how long you can be logged out before dying?

You cannot die while being offline! You can only become hungry and thirsty. The worst case that you can have is your thirst and hunger blinking red when you reconnect. If you have some water/soda and food in your inventory you have no problem.

Also: food and water are not used while you are offline. The topic of this thread is misleading.

Thanks,

Now when I reconnect, how do I deal with the horde I left outside of the warehouse that I got away from? Hopefully gone when I get back : - )

Thanks' date=' Now when I reconnect, how do I deal with the horde I left outside of the warehouse that I got away from? Hopefully gone when I get back : - )

[/quote']

No problem. When you reconnect, your nearby area should be free of zombies (and loot).

I just started playing a few days ago and I haven't noticed this (you know, I just discovered DayZ and I kinda play every day, for now).

Anyway I think this offline thirst/hunger progression should be removed... after all if I don't manage to play 1 week just because I'm in holiday/working/living a non-zombie apocalypse life why should I be punished?

Anyway I think this offline thirst/hunger progression should be removed... after all if I don't manage to play 1 week just because I'm in holiday/working/living a non-zombie apocalypse life why should I be punished?

Why it's such a big deal? How hard it is to keep couple cans of food and bottles of water / soda with you always? It's not like food and drinks are hard to find in the game.

If you could die while being offline I could understand it being a problem, but getting more thirsty and hungry while offline... it simulates your character being asleep while you are away.

Now that I know it won't kill me. It's not a problem. Just have water, soda and some cans. All good.

Why it's such a big deal? How hard it is to keep couple cans of food and bottles of water / soda with you always? It's not like food and drinks are hard to find in the game.

If you could die while being offline I could understand it being a problem' date=' but getting more thirsty and hungry while offline... it simulates your character being asleep while you are away.

[/quote']

Even being logged out for an entire week? That won't instakill me when I log?

That's something new I know, thanks. Well in that case it's just fine the way it is ^^

I'm still not quite sure what this 'feature' adds. Certainly not realism - if you're going to become hungry and thirsty while logged off, you should also be able to die from hunger and thirst (and zombies and players) while logged off. Logging off means you're no longer in the game world, so why should you suffer the effects of the game world?

Also, when weather effects (eg hypothermia) are put in game, will you be freezing to death when you come back in game? I mean, if you've been starving while not there, surely you should be freezing if you've been outside the whole time, too. Though, I'm not sure how this could be modelled - you'd have to know whether it's rained during the time the player's been logged off.

It just seems inconsistent with the rest of the game. It also means that, should I run out of food and water, and on my way to find some, real life interferes and I have to log off, I can be certain that when I log back in I'll be as good as dead.

I don't want to pressure the devs into making the game something that they don't want to be, but I want to make them consider why they've made certain design choices and also, why, if a design choice such as starving when logged out is desired, consistency isn't applied whereby players spawn dead when they log back in. The only reason I see for this design decision is an attempt at realism (or an attempt at being an "anti-game" for the sake of it), in which case you should just kill players who haven't logged in for a few hours.

People are going to be hard pressed to provide a good argument for keeping the food/water use offline. Immersion' date=' ok, but the game is already stressful enough.

Day/Night cycle. I'm not sure what the exact day/night times are currently, but a 6 hour night cycle, 18 hour day would sound like a good compromise. This would be a high latitude, summer solstice everday type setup.

[/quote']

I just think the Day/Night Cycle should be on a 23 hour clock. So if I log in every night at around the same time (which is quite likely, because of people's scheduled lives and all) the server's time is slightly different. So over the course of a month, playing on the same server at the same time each night I'll still experience morning, noon and night. The change is so slight it doesn't affect realism, it just allows for a more pleasureable and varied gaming experience. You don't need to base your life's schedule off a game.

On a similar note, that's why I also think having things affect you while offline is a bad idea. Your character should be in the exact same state as he was when you logged off, whether it was a bad state or not. It doesn't help with immersion, or make it more realistic. It just makes the game a pain for those with jobs and lives to work around.

Wow, this game thinks of everything!

It's like there's all these little things like this that I find out about and it makes it so much better and everything makes alot more sense.

I'm kinda suprised the majority of people here agree with the idea of removing this. It's not life threatening (unless you have no food/water on or near you) and doesn't seem as bad as everyone is making it out to be, you won't die (from what I've read here).

I'm kinda suprised the majority of people here agree with the idea of removing this. It's not life threatening (unless you have no food/water on or near you) and doesn't seem as bad as everyone is making it out to be' date=' you won't die (from what I've read here).

[/quote']

It doesn't serve any purpose other than to make my life as a player annoying. It means that before I log off I must have at least 1 thing to drink or eat or my character will probably be almost dead next time I log on. Or if I do decide to play I have to have enough time to find both food and water before I log off.

It forces players to play for longer than they want to and prevents players from hopping in for short periods of time. Tonight I wanted to play for an half hour or so before I went to sleep (gotta work in the morning), but that means that I have become committed to finding food.