Jeff (DayZ)

Food and water being used offline

If this feature(?) is intended, disable it until this mod has left its alpha status. It's hard enough to join servers and also staying online on these at the moment for the players to also have to worry about loss of food and water while being offline/having issues even getting into the game.

I have no issues with how your food/water goes down while playing. With a knife and matches food will never be a problem. Water shouldn't be it either but I can't fill my water cans with water pumps. Have tried several but no, doesn't work for some reason.

Regarding day/night, just join a server in another time zone and problem solved (except for ping perhaps). Some "local" servers that is running a different time might be a solution as well, unless this isn't allowed it should be something the different serverowners could do with some of their servers (and point out local time -6 hours or something in the header).

/thread

NO. Its an issue/bug/bad feature. You should not be affected in any way when off-line. Its till an issue an a 10 page thread proves that, tell me 1 good thing about the this feature and i can tell 10 bad ones. It ruins the game for me, and im waiting for it to be fixed.

you dont goto bed without breakfast for the morning do you?

That's a really good point I hadn't thought about yet.

Kicking it up a notch, I don't got to bed without brushing my teeth either.

I'd be thrilled if there was a spot for a toothbrush and toothpaste next to my compass and matches - brushing your teeth should be mandatory after every meal, failing to do so (especially before logging out) will result in your (new) tooth icon flashing red, meaning that you'd better get some treatment or you'll only be able to drink smoothies for nourishment. If you haven't managed to complete your dental hygiene set while scavenging through the cities, you can also eat an apple (a day) to slow down your tooth decay (much like food helps replenish your blood).

It would add a whole new layer of depth to the game!

Speaking of, has anyone touched the subject of clipping one's nails yet? Shaving? Calling your mother regularly (finding and fixing a phone turns into a whole new adventure) to tell her that everything is fine, and reassuring her that you have enough clean pairs of underwear with you? A red flashing mother icon means that she's about to board a ship and seek you out to give you a proper scolding while you and your bandit mates are trying to bully a survivor into giving up his eye mask (another new piece of gear that helps keep your beauty sleep icon in the green).

I also noticed some of the survivors are wearing glasses - wouldn't it seem realistic to add a feature that prompts you to clean your glasses with a spectacle cloth often (which, of course, you need to find first), or else your vision goes blurry?

It is a minor annoyance at worst, I don't understand the mass whining that is going on. Every aspect of dayz gameplay has to be planned out in advance or you will die. Same for this, carry around 2 food and 2 drinks all the time, one for using in game and 1 for using when you log in. Do not eat or drink in game until it is either a: flashing red or b: sitting on the ground waiting to be picked up and you already have 2 of each in your inventory. Lets be honest food and drinks are the most common of all loot and is literally everywhere.

Yes, please change this. Me and my buddies are finally getting somewhere, but now they are gone on vacation for a week so they will die..

-edit: just reread the previous page. you can't die from this, so ignore my whine.

Do you not lose blood if you're hungry/thirsty, offline?

I used to have 12k blood but the last few times I've logged on it's been flashing and Ive lost anywhere from 200-500 blood. :(

Either way, I find it kind of an annoyance.

I love the way it is. Learn to keep a can of beans and a coke on you. I like coming on and being like f*ck f*ck f*ck running through a field trying to find a damn rabbit because my dumba*s forgot to keep some food on me!

Food and water shouldn't be "used" while you're offline. Your character isn't in the game world, can't be hurt by other stuff, etc, so why should you lose food and water while you're off? If your character is magically safe from having died by the next time you log in, they should be magically safe from reappearing with a sudden lack of food and water in their body.

tldr; no food or water loss while you're offline, please.

tldr; no food or water loss while you're offline' date=' please.

[/quote']

I prefer to interpret this complaint as a request to keep the player's body alive and in the world so that it can be harmed while a user is logged off.

my 2c, i think food and water use adds something. you have to think about where you log off and what you have on you. It's not too hard to put your bottle and food into your pack before you log off. it's kind of like making sure your kit is squared away before going to sleep, and then "waking up" upon logging back in and having some breakfast before heading on your way. Adds to the whole desperate situation of the mod.

My main thing was that I had to disconnect from the servers a few times because I was dropped, bringing my food and water meters to orange the first time, then to blinking red the second. I was burning through the three canteens of water I found, and I already ate my last can of pasta...but I found out each time I D/Ced, my health would go back to the standard 12000, which was weird but I didn't contest it at all.

tldr; no food or water loss while you're offline' date=' please.

[/quote']

I prefer to interpret this complaint as a request to keep the player's body alive and in the world so that it can be harmed while a user is logged off.

Why? What good does that do besides make you out to be a troll?

Seriously, this feels like FARMTOWN where you're like "ZOMG I have to log in and harvest mah crops!"

Yet all the working servers are full

Or you have a life

Or your computer crashes

So if anything goes wrong outside of the game, you're 24 ways of boned.

No game should feel like Farmtown...

Seriously' date=' this feels like FARMTOWN where you're like "ZOMG I have to log in and harvest mah crops!"

Yet all the working servers are full

Or you have a life

Or your computer crashes

So if anything goes wrong outside of the game, you're 24 ways of boned.

No game should feel like Farmtown...

[/quote']

Why do you have to log in? You wont die from starvation while logged out...

Maybe it only goes down to 1/8th minimum when you're offline, it stops there to wait for you to get back. Sounds like a good compromise.

Would still be better if it just didn't go down while you're logged out. It doesn't hurt anyone, since it still goes down in-game, and it adds realism, since your character stops "existing" in game terms, once you log out.

the issue is not about dying, the issue is that the game affects your character when you are not playing. this is silly without more additional persistant effects on your character.

eg: because we use food when offline time must be passing.

this means for example. our characters should heal blood while offline, characters should recover from injury, wound effects while offline.

but they dont. means there are inconsistancies. which is why alot of people get annoyed. either you go all the way on everything or you assume time does not pass and therefor character is unaffected and in stasis while player is offline.

I'm sure people would not mind our player using up food if he is healing/recovering from a hard days surviving.

at the moment, logging off simply rewards player with a loss of resources and nothing to show for it. if we assume player is resting though which is what they are doing, why not add that effect to the character.

sillyness. but still alpha, so who is to say its not planned already.

Finally a good argument and suggestion. I fully agree Fenrix +1

Im a game modder, animator, 3d modeller myself working on zombie games, Ive thought about this kind of stuff before :D im pretty sure there are plans to do something similar going by some of the stuff ive seen from pcgamer article and stuff.

today i died because of this, i was hunted into the forest by zombies and i didn't have any food or water on me at that moment. then i logged out, couple of days later i log in and im lost in the forest and die of thirst. many hours of playtime lost because of a stupid "feature/bug"

I think the standard eve online response with modification works as a response to most complaints about this.

HTFU its alpha.

:)

Granted, it's Alpha. So I feel this feature will be reworked. But I think this should actually be left in to some degree. It's a pretty darn realistic game, and your dude doesn't just disappear from the world he's in. Food/water should be consumed, but not so that it puts you in the red. Maybe just knocks you down from green to yellow if you haven't been on in a while and that's the limit.

I havent checked but I would not be surprised if water is going down faster when offline than when online. in which case it could also be a bug.