Jeff (DayZ)

Food and water being used offline

+1 to offline food/water consumption

-1 to changing day/night cycle ... I feel safer in the dark.

Agree 100% with that.

Just to note, I don't believe your character will die while you're offline - it's only hunger/thirst that progresses, not blood loss.

So when you reconnect, your character may be hungry/thirsty but they will not yet have begun losing blood. Blood will only start dropping when you've returned online.

The simplest counter against this then, is to always log-off with some food/drink in your inventory. That way, you can relax knowing that no matter when you log in, you'll instantly be able to solve the hunger/thirst issue and you'll suffer zero blood loss. :)

Why don't you just make sure you have an extra can of beans and a drink before you log off? I make sure I've got spares at all times.

it really discourages logging in for a short period of time since you will just end up wasting a lot of food and water

exactly! thats the problem, i play for short periods, and only once every couple of days. i have no problem with a hungry/thirsty meter, but when im off-line from a game the game shouldn't affect me

Can we remove the stupid use of food and water when offline?

Its getting some of us killed due to servers not recording drinking things but still removing the items.

Its really annoying that we've almost died repeatedly due to this "feature".

Just remove it and be done with it, its not working correctly. If the servers were more reliable this would be less of a problem, but as it stands, we cant keep this up due to being able to play less than 30 mins a day.

people tend forget that this is ALPHA

their complaints look like they're flaming the finished product they paid money for

This feature should be removed. People shouldn't be penalized for not being able to play constantly. Some of us have work! :)

I just started playing, but now that i find out that ill starve or die of thirst in-game if i dont log in often enough, i might just give up on the game (and ill tell my guild to do the same) until this is changed.

I play alot of different games and i dont have time to log on every single day just to go scavenge for food.

Sure its immersive, but its still a game and should be a fun thing, not a bloody chore... i got enough of those at work...

I just started playing' date=' but now that i find out that ill starve or die of thirst in-game if i dont log in often enough, i might just give up on the game (and ill tell my guild to do the same) until this is changed.

I play alot of different games and i dont have time to log on every single day just to go scavenge for food.

Sure its immersive, but its still a game and should be a fun thing, not a bloody chore... i got enough of those at work...

[/quote']

You can't die when your not logged in. For example if you haven't played for a week you'd have flashing red hunger and thirst. You have a couple of minutes to eat and drink . If you don't your blood will slowly tick away, but this takes a very long time.

A way to avoid this is to have atleast 1 drink and food when you log off. That's not really hard considering that there is food and water everywhere!

Leave the game as is. If you want this to be casual' date=' go play Cod, then just leave. Its fine as is.

[/quote']

If you want the game to have no audience except no-lifers living in their moms basement who don't work, probably should at least minimize consumption of supplies when offline.

Not everyone can play all day every day, or even every day for a tiny while.

The Dev team has it's reasons to keep day/night-cycle 1:1, they should keep it this way but there are no good reasons to let food/water consumption go on when offline. Many ppl now buy ARMA II in order to play this mod but not all people have the time to log in for hours every day to keep up their hunger and thirst bars. As posted earlier by someone else the mod shouldn't become feeling like a chore, keep it fun..

What the hell is up witht he people in this thread?..

You dont need to log on every day to eat and drink. Hell you can stop playing now and come back in a month and your guy will still be alive (that is if it doesnt get deleted or anything).

All you have to do is to have one can of food and one can of soda when you log out.

It isnt even sudden when you log in. It can take up to 20 minutes before your character is going to starve.

EDIT: Didn't mean to quote someone.

Can you die if you don't play for whole weeks? I once didnt play for a whole day and my food and drink-o-meters where blinking red when I logged in the next day. So what would happen if you don't play for a whole week?

Can you die if you don't play for whole weeks? I once didnt play for a whole day and my food and drink-o-meters where blinking red when I logged in the next day. So what would happen if you don't play for a whole week?

You cant die while being logged out so nothing would happen, they would still just be blinking red!

OK:D Now I can go to Graspop and Wacken without having to worry :D thanks

you still have to make sure you have food in your backpack before logging out. What if i have to leave the game for rl and dont have time to find food?

Its an unnecessary feature and i dont know any other game that puninesses you for not playing. its a game, and your character is not a Tamagotchi.

its not that its game-breaking, its just bummers me out from playing so im waiting for it to be removed.

please remove it

I don't understand the necessity of this feature either - it adds nothing to the game, aside from a recurring annoyance whenever you log in.

Please do remove this "bug".

I would like some clearance if this is a bug or a feature.

I agree i think that its an annoying concept especiallyfor players that may have technical difficulties.

Does anyone know if you can die from being offline? Because if thats the case this REALLY NEEDS to be fixed.

Its like nintendogs all over again...

i thought this was cleared up already so can we get rid of this thread?

you -cannot- die whilst you're logged off.

you wont consume food or water whilst your logged off.

all that will happen is youll get hungry / thirsty so when you do log on you'll have to eat / drink.

easy mechanic to get around, just have some food / water in your backpack before you log off. you dont goto bed without breakfast for the morning do you?

/thread