Sign in to follow this  
Heaves

What keeps you playing DayZ?

Partly organization and the PvE, partly because of the future, and partly because of the people that I'm currently playing with.

Stuff like this:

(Yes I know, I'm a jerk)

Because there is no right or wrong in this game. The game pushes no morals on you and you're free to do whatever you like. Just as sniping and looting are not wrong, being a medic or playing guardian angel isn't right. I haven't played a game that has functioned this way.

Also, this is a zombie game that still rattles my nerves and gets me on edge. All of the online survival horror games I've played are around the scare factor of RE4. I love L4D and Killing Floor, but those games aren't scary. This game manages to be nerve-wracking with 1/50th the amount of zombies.

Edited by TheLonelyFrog

The sandbox survival experience is unlike any other.

Thought haven't really played much at all lately since every time me and my buddy start doing well we've been getting hackslapped. Still hop on occasionally for kicks I guess. Just gotta avoid them populated servers like the dirty plague that they are.

Edited by bonesnap

I'd say it's that death comes at a penalty. Keeps me on edge and adrenaline pumping. Few games offered this, EVE being one of them and Freelancer with the Ioncross Total War Mod another fine example.

I also seem to get lot's of kicks on the initial scavenging. I figure the game may become boring if I ever become fully decked with best gear. The searching for the next best thing is the carrot on a stick for me. Somehow I find it fortunate that when I got good gear I end up getting too bold and end up dead before getting the really nice trickets.

Oh man the joy I get just for finding an ALICE :P

Oh well i'm just wierd that way.

Cheers.

What keeps me playing is the freedom and the challenge.

Too many games are easy nowadays, and most of them dictate how you play.

This.

Also, I am tired of games coming out half finished and still buggy. At least with this one, I get to watch it grow from a mod to a game, and have fun playing it. There aren't any other games out there like this at the moment. Even with the scripters, and bugs, I still enjoy this game more than any other one I own.

1st week out of curiosity, 2nd for the challenge, and from the 3rd on just for inspiration being a small-time dev myself. Keeps me logging in daily.

Worth every cent I spent for Arma2 (which I wouldnt have touched with a 10-foot pole otherwise).

The Sandbox.

Along with the adrenaline rush combat gives in Day Z.

Last nights session with my group was the best, my group, 8 players split up into teams of two. Each with a weapon of choice (Minus Snipers and L85).

We headed into the Industrial part of Elektro and had a fight to the death, Grenades flying everywhere, flanking, supression everything went on until only one remained,

The adrenaline rush after the first contact my team had with another was the best, the heart pounding events after my partner died were even better, Zombies were so much more threatening when you were trying to not reveal yourself in the end we all died, grabbed what gear we needed and hid our bodies, planning to have the little match again later.

No game gives the same rush with playing, keeps me coming back every day for more.

What keeps me playing?

The challenge.

The joy of finding beans when you're about to die of hunger.

Permanent death.

Not taking things too seriously.

And I think reddeer1 said it well above:

Tension and paranoia. With the off chance at co-op work.

The tension and the paranoia in DayZ are something I haven't experienced in any other game (not even close).

For the most part it's thanks to the awesome combination of zombies, open PvP and permanent death.

As others have said - the sandbox and permadeath. And I enjoy seeing the game growing and I generally like testing games at early stages.

DayZ delivers an unmatched experience of immersion for me.