Paikea

Girl Character?

This is a key priority for me personally to see this implemented. I think games have been neglecting girls in games or stereotyping them for too long.

I look at it from a different perspective which is detrimental to gameplay. Shorter and thinner models' date=' smaller hit boxes, harder to be seen etc. Basically everyone would play as females for these reason alone and if it was enforced that not everyone could be a female people would get pissed and leave the game from the disadvantage of being the male in game.

Politically correct? Sure. Good for balanced shooting games? Absolutely not.

[/quote']

They can be exactly the same height, so that's not an issue. As for slimmer: Women have boobs and wider hips, which roughly balance out against men's wider shoulders and thicker waist. Anyway, it's ArmA, it's not like you can be accurate enough for the couple of centimetres to make a difference.

@TeaLeaf

Not to mention that women can wear slightly bulky clothing to give them a bigger appearance

@Griff and Timberwolf

I didn't mean to come off rude, I just can't see the logic in what people are saying when there's obvious solutions, or making problems where there is none. I do apologise if I offended anyone.

If it's not too much work, I think they should be added in; at least as a findable skin or -something-. I'd rather be able to pick it at start, but I'd be willing to have to find it, as well.

I'm a long time Counter-Strike player' date=' as a player of undoubtedly the most balanced shooting game on Earth the mentality of having balanced mechanics in a game which at its core is a shooter must be balanced for every player across the entire playing field.[/quote']

TESTIFY! I still play CSS today, having returned to the field after a 5 year gaming hiatus. Of course, my time in-game has waned considerably, thanks to some young whippersnapper with his damned Zombie Apocalypse simulator.

I remember back in WoW' date=' guys who played as female characters and acted female often had an easier time advancing in the game...[/quote']

You wrote "WoW", but I read "Life".

Simulate periods' date=' menopause and all the other shit women go through, don't make them looking like some silly photoshop model and I swear nobody's gonna play a girl character.[/quote']

"Pitch Black" movie reference, anyone?

Putting words in your mouth? You SPECIFICALLY stated that if someone was indeed wanting to play as a woman' date=' they'd have to prove that they are female first by showing a photo to god knows who cares, then be ALLOWED to access a gender. Nothing about my reply is putting words in your mouth, Sir.

And in your post, I did not see you stating anything regarding player characters serving advantages and disadvantages, so I don't exactly know where you're pulling that from. I don't see anyone asking for specific characters (of either gender) requiring any special treatment, as that could lead to A.) Classes, and this is not an RPG, and B.) Fights about sexism. Even if classes were to serve a purpose, I don't see how showing a photo of who you are to someone should prove that you should have more of an advantage over someone else. Thats idiotic in itself. Classes shouldn't be gender specific, they should be equal all round.

And no. The only way female characters to work is to not possess advantages. To work is to simply be a varient aesthetic, for people to have a variety of options as to how they want to represent themself in a game. No 'advantages' because they may have a more petite frame, and tall women indeed exist. I, infact am the tallest out of everyone in my family, and most of my friends. If every other shooter game can work it with no problem, I don't see how DayZ can't.

I'm not trying to be aggressive, but when you say stupid things, it can obviously lead to a reply that may disatisfy you.

And bat, lol, I don't think women should wear the same outfit as men, as the men in this game have extremely manly bodies. Similar theme of clothing, perhaps, but not the same.

[/quote']

Once again you are making assumptions of myself far beyond of my post and that is what I meant by "putting words in my mouth". What is written is indeed written but your interpretation of my post goes far beyond of what the words in it represent. You managed to call me immature and some other underlying unpleasant adjectives just because of that post. You don't know me and my post isn't hell sure enough for you to profile me.

My idea was meant to be reflected if there was some kind of advantage in gameplay to a female character which I assumed there was and as such if there wasn't any type of mechanism to know who was really female what would prevent everyone from using that advantage? If there isn't any type of difference then people should be able to choose whatever they want and I have nothing against it.

I won't argue with you anymore since you seem to have some kind of animosity in this subject and I don't want this to become a roller coaster of posts that would eventually lead to major offtopic. I do respect your opinion but as soon as people start try to define who I am and turn hostile towards myself due to a simple forum post I have to quit the conversation.

My idea was meant to be reflected if there was some kind of advantage in gameplay to a female character which I assumed there was and as such if there wasn't any type of mechanism to know who was really female what would prevent everyone from using that advantage? If there isn't any type of difference then people should be able to choose whatever they want and I have nothing against it.

When these character models are introduced' date=' I will be playing as a girl character, mainly because I feel there is a [i']psychological advantage to doing so. That split-second, "oh, it's a girl!" moment that someone has before they open fire might be the one thing that saves my life in-game. Like it or not, if there are differences in what you see, there are differences in reaction time.

I do NOT think, as one poster had commented, that it would be a smart idea to have girl models dropped as skins throughout the game. There are no trans-gender modification stations in my zombie apocalypse, sorry.

I think you guys are putting far too much weight behind the "balance" argument. They are so minute that there is no advantage, its just cosmetic....Im actually in a bit of disbelief that people are making it an issue.

While I can see where you're coming from Joke, regarding the psychological aspect, how long will it take before people just stop caring? It's either a do or die game afterall, and people are pretty selfish when it comes to survival. Nothing negative meant by that, btw. And not to mention, I can't imagine it'd be making that much of a difference for your gameplay. It might, we may see, but I'm definitely thinking for a majority of players, they will react pretty much the same regardless of gender.

But hey, if it feels like it gives you that edge, more power to you ;)

@Griff

Thank you, my point exactly.

Killing joke wrote: "I do NOT think, as one poster had commented, that it would be a smart idea to have girl models dropped as skins throughout the game. There are no trans-gender modification stations in my zombie apocalypse, sorry."

But at least it might be a good idea to place some rubber-dolls to loot?

When these character models are introduced' date=' I will be playing as a girl character, mainly because I feel there is a [i']psychological advantage to doing so. That split-second, "oh, it's a girl!" moment that someone has before they open fire might be the one thing that saves my life in-game. Like it or not, if there are differences in what you see, there are differences in reaction time.

I do NOT think, as one poster had commented, that it would be a smart idea to have girl models dropped as skins throughout the game. There are no trans-gender modification stations in my zombie apocalypse, sorry.

What the hell are you talking about? Just kill them just you would when a male survivor appears! Do you wan't to label yourself as a sexist? :D

I think you guys are putting far too much weight behind the "balance" argument. They are so minute that there is no advantage' date=' its just cosmetic....Im actually in a bit of disbelief that people are making it an issue.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong, Griff. I LOVE the idea. It is balanced, and it is fair. I'm being more than a bit 'meta' about the whole thing. Read on:

But hey' date=' if it feels like it gives you that edge, more power to you ;)[/quote']

With respect, I did leave you out of some of the aspects of which I plan to use to my advantage...

Consider the advantage - the meta advantage playing as a girl gets you. If you play other games, (FPS, MMO, what-have-you) as soon as someone claims to be a girl, you have the inevitable 'team-up requests' and stuff like that.

I am already planning to use this to my advantage by having an immediately recognizable female-themed name in-game, wear the skin, and talk in chat a whole lot more, and drop subtle hints as to my character's gender. (When I say 'subtle', I'm not talking, "Holy crap, my cramps are damned awful today!")

I will lure people into my whole persona, offer to join up with them, and team up in clearing out as many buildings as possible of the most choice loot. Then, after hours of life-saving, zed killing and camaraderie, I will shoot each one in the back of the head at the most opportune moment, collect all of the loot, and move on.

That is the advantage of which I speak.

Just stopping in to add my support for the concept of female characters in Day Z. Honestly, it's about damn time we had some proper female combat-capable models in the ARMA series. Thank you, rocket. Remember kids, women are more than willing to die for their country too. I've always found BIS' attitude of "no girl soldiers" quite insulting, doubly so considering all the painstaking effort they put into creating all those damn hooker models. Yes, danm, lovely hooker models. Sweet, sweet hooker models... excuse me while I fire up the editor:

Also, can we have zombie hookers, plz?

I support adding females. Dont make them look like hookers or use the hooker models in the game. Make them look "tactical".

1. There is already a thread

2. Rocket is aware that some of us want this so this may get taken into action someday down the road when everything else is fixed.

3. Use search function before posting.

Let take an example of a game that has already female soldiers:

Half life 2's resistants have men and women models,

Are they recogniseable ?

yes.

Do their hitboxes noticeably change?

no.

They actually use the same animations and skeletons

http://images.wikia.com/half-life/en/images/c/cc/Rebels_tunnel_dark.jpg

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100413105403/half-life/en/images/9/9c/Rebels_tunnel.jpg

I don't know where this misconception that girls are harder to hit is coming from, even an anorexic isn't paper thin, go play paintball someday and you will realise that it doesn't really matter.

I support adding females. Dont make them look like hookers or use the hooker models in the game. Make them look "tactical".

Yes, of course. Completely agree. I was mostly pointing out that its lame on BIS' part to include a bazillion different prostitue skins, but not bother putting any work into making a female model that can actually hold a gun (or drive). I just got a little sidetracked at the end of my last post, that's all. Heh.

Just want to add another small supportive thumbs up for this totally inevitable feature. I'm genuinely surprised anyone thinks its a bad idea. Obviously yeah people can be unconsciously sexist, but the surprise is people doubting that it'll eventually be implemented fairly. Of course it will, just look at the attention being paid to everything else.

I also reject the idea that, say, an 80/20 split of female/male characters would somehow be less immersive than the current 0/100 split. This is a post-military civilian survival scenario. If you can internally rationalise the reality of a zombie apocalypse but can't imagine for yourself a reason why there might be more female survivors then you need to seriously check your privilege.

This is a post-military civilian survival scenario. If you can internally rationalise the reality of a zombie apocalypse but can't imagine for yourself a reason why there might be more female survivors then you need to seriously check your privilege.

Translation: It's a sausage-fest out there.

i wanna play as a scrawny midget

I want to play as an old man, an ugly one if possible. I am tired of the standard ruggedly handsome early 30's blond caucasian male. Especially in so called role playing games. I want to be a fat pimply computer nerd, or a disgusting hag cat lady. Yeah sorry I digress, arma is an fps and doesn't have character customisation. Still big thumbs up to females being represented as something other than prostitutes.

I also reject the idea that' date=' say, an 80/20 split of female/male characters would somehow be less immersive than the current 0/100 split. This is a post-military civilian survival scenario. If you can internally rationalise the reality of a zombie apocalypse but can't imagine for yourself a reason why there might be more female survivors then you need to seriously check your privilege.

[/quote']

That was aimed at me, wasn't it?

(seeing how I am the only guy talking about immersion)

It's my opinion and I am entitled to it. I am willing to give the game a break when it comes to immersion or "authenticity", but I find your excuse of using the "zombie apocalypse" to be kinda weak.

This DayZ "zombie apocalypse" actually looks like a pretty consistent scenario. Hell, rocket even calls it a zombie sim so I don't get why are you so offended at my opinion of the male/female ratio and its immersion.

With that kind of logic(which I usually see in the Elder Scrolls community), we can now introduce mutants, demons or unicorns because... you know... it's a "zombie simulator!"

all-the-things-meme-generator-make-all-the-things-a53e09.jpg

No seriously, I am not opposed to the idea. God knows that variety never hurt someone. But all I am saying we should not go overboard with it. That is all.:angel:

That was aimed at me' date=' wasn't it?

(seeing how I am the only guy talking about immersion)

[/quote']

My apologies, clicked through ten pages of responses on a phone browser, couldn't recall who said what. I wasn't suggesting you were trying to assert fact, just that I thought your opinion didn't logically follow.

I said the *reality* of a zombie apocolypse, by which I meant all that stuff you mention; eating, drinking, (defecating) the stuff that makes it immersive. We rationalise it by going 'of course we need to scavenge for beans or hunt because civilisation is gone'. So also female characters outnumbering males wouldn't break immersion because you can (surely) rationalise it based on the scenario (no more organised and predominantly male military, presumably routed trying to fight etc etc).

There's no lore, just the realistic survival scenario and your imagination. If you can use it to explain the beans, you should also be able to use to explain the women.