zalman

Why does this game punich you for going OFFLINE?!

You won't have to worry if you think about your actions during the game. If you find 2 beans' date=' you need to question, will I be logging out soon and need these? Should I take them just in case I can't find anymore? This whole discussion is solved by smarter play by the PLAYERS, not removal of a system, that is easily tackled by the players.

[/quote']

So I suddenly have to horde food and water if I wont have time to play for a number of days?

A single food and water will bring you back to full. It's not hoarding, just being mindful to always have an extra.

with the weather its alredy turning into wood collecting simulator 2.0

Tamagotchi - the zombie apocalypse :D ... and you better fricking love it. The game is real time, day and night cycle is, hunger and thirst drain is,... get used to it 'cause this is how games should be. You don't simply pause a sandbox. This ain't some weaksauce combination of Left4Dead and Call Of Duty...

I keep seeing people defending this mechanic by saying "just have food and water handy when you log off", which is all well and good, but not once have I seen an attempt at justifying it. What's the reasoning behind it? Is your character supposed to be in some sort of living state in the world while you're offline? If that's the case, then you should be fair game for zombies, and should have to apply bandages the moment you log back in to stop the festering wounds on your ankles from the 3 days of being nibbled on. Since we're arbitrarily having to use items from our inventory upon login, let's also find a reason to use our morphine and painkillers.

Better yet, let's just change logging out to equal respawning. Log back in, start from scratch. Might as well.

Everyone in this thread makes it seem like finding the basic resources of food, water, and wood, is difficult. Explore outside of Cherno and elektro. Animals are plentiful, and canteens can be refilled at any water source besides the ocean now. I found 3 piles of wood in a single loot pile in a farm yesterday. I regularly have to empty my pack of unnecessary food/water because I am carrying too much.

A lot of the stuff in this is stupid. I don't give a shit about vision, or lame arguments like "it's not a game, it's an experiment."

It IS a fucking game. Take into account some of us have lives, jobs, kids and those things called women. Be as cruel and as harsh as you want while we are in the game, Give douchebag psychopaths faceless anonymity and a free ride and all the other stupid design decisions...but leave us the fuck alone when we are not playing the thing. It's stupid.

A lot of the stuff in this is stupid. I don't give a shit about vision' date=' or lame arguments like "it's not a game, it's an experiment."

It IS a fucking game. Take into account some of us have lives, jobs, kids and those things called women. Be as cruel and as harsh as you want while we are in the game, Give douchebag psychopaths faceless anonymity and a free ride and all the other stupid design decisions...but leave us the fuck alone when we are not playing the thing. It's stupid.

[/quote']

QFT. Also, in before the Rocket quote that everyone throws around about "Experiment blah blah blah".

A lot of the stuff in this is stupid. I don't give a shit about vision' date=' or lame arguments like "it's not a game, it's an experiment."

[/quote']

QFT. Also, in before the Rocket quote that everyone throws around about "Experiment blah blah blah".

It ISN'T a game. It IS an experiment that we all are fortunate to be allowed to participate in. Rocket made this for his own reasons, and we got lucky in that it's a great game as well as an experiment. You are not entitled to anything, this 'game' is 100% free, and the only reason you get to play it, is because rocket decided to experiment.

I have to agree with most posters here. The entire concept of going hungry/thirsty while offline is ludicrous. What if you cannot get back to the game for a couple of RL days? What's the point? Somebody else stated that if we can go hungry/thirsty while offline then we should be fair game for the zed as well...betcha that would suck, right? Come back and find yourself bleeding out...oh, so sorry, you were offline and couldn't bandage yourself.

Mechanics need to be adjusted.

I have to agree with most posters here. The entire concept of going hungry/thirsty while offline is ludicrous. What if you cannot get back to the game for a couple of RL days? What's the point? Somebody else stated that if we can go hungry/thirsty while offline then we should be fair game for the zed as well...betcha that would suck' date=' right? Come back and find yourself bleeding out...oh, so sorry, you were offline and couldn't bandage yourself.

Mechanics need to be adjusted.

[/quote']

I'm pretty sure everyone misunderstands the mechanics. You can't die while logged off, and it requires the same amount of food to get back to full status regardless of how long you have logged off for, which is a SINGLE piece of food and water.

It ISN'T a game. It IS an experiment that we all are fortunate to be allowed to participate in. Rocket made this for his own reasons' date=' and we got lucky in that it's a great game as well as an experiment. You are not entitled to anything, this 'game' is 100% free, and the only reason you get to play it, is because rocket decided to experiment.

[/quote']

You see, I might agree with you, but here's the thing:

- This is very much so a game. The quote may say otherwise, but we are indeed playing a game

- Balance is very much an issue, as you can see if you would take the time to look at some of the most recent patches. Temp was too harsh, fixed that. Whinny too powerful, done. Need to up matches and wood, bada-bing.

Now, kindly take the time to wipe the brown off of your nose because you're not earning any brownie points here. 'Experiment' or not, 'Game' or not, players (yes, -players-, not test subjects) should not be punished for not playing. I should not go on a vacation and come back to find my entire inventory of food gone and character starving in the middle of no where. It's absolutely insane and should not be a part of this Experigame.

It ISN'T a game. It IS an experiment that we all are fortunate to be allowed to participate in. Rocket made this for his own reasons' date=' and we got lucky in that it's a great game as well as an experiment. You are not entitled to anything, this 'game' is 100% free, and the only reason you get to play it, is because rocket decided to experiment.

[/quote']

You see, I might agree with you, but here's the thing:

- This is very much so a game. The quote may say otherwise, but we are indeed playing a game

- Balance is very much an issue, as you can see if you would take the time to look at some of the most recent patches. Temp was too harsh, fixed that. Whinny too powerful, done. Need to up matches and wood, bada-bing.

Now, kindly take the time to wipe the brown off of your nose because you're not earning any brownie points here. 'Experiment' or not, 'Game' or not, players (yes, -players-, not test subjects) should not be punished for not playing. I should not go on a vacation and come back to find my entire inventory of food gone and character starving in the middle of no where. It's absolutely insane and should not be a part of this Experigame.

Unless they changed something recently, none of your food disappears when you don't log in. As I've said, you literally have to have ONE extra set of food/water, and you are back to full. You aren't being punished for not being able to log in, you are being punished for not preparing correctly.

On the brown nosing part, I am VERY critical of some of rockets policies (Server administration policies being my major one), but the fact that we are entitled to nothing when it comes to game features is something I support. I haven't paid rocket a dime for this game(I agree that by definition it is a game) that I've spent hours and hours playing.

Unless they changed something recently' date=' none of your food disappears when you don't log in. As I've said, you literally have to have ONE extra set of food/water, and you are back to full. You aren't being punished for not being able to log in, you are being punished for not preparing correctly.

On the brown nosing part, I am VERY critical of some of rockets policies (Server administration policies being my major one), but the fact that we are entitled to nothing when it comes to game features is something I support. I haven't paid rocket a dime for this game(I agree that by definition it is a game) that I've spent hours and hours playing.

[/quote']

But you can not always prepare. There will be times where you simply need to get off the game before you find that extra can of beans. And, as an avid gamer/developer/whathaveyou, I find it wrong to punish the player for not playing your game. In any case, I can see we've got a classic case of immovable object against an unstoppable force--so I'm going to call it quits on this.

We are all entitled to our opinions, after all, and it's clear we're not going to change one another's.

Unless they changed something recently' date=' none of your food disappears when you don't log in. As I've said, you literally have to have ONE extra set of food/water, and you are back to full. You aren't being punished for not being able to log in, you are being punished for not preparing correctly.

[/quote']

But you can not always prepare. There will be times where you simply need to get off the game before you find that extra can of beans. And, as an avid gamer/developer/whathaveyou, I find it wrong to punish the player for not playing your game. In any case, I can see we've got a classic case of immovable object against an unstoppable force--so I'm going to call it quits on this.

We are all entitled to our opinions, after all, and it's clear we're not going to change one another's.

You guys still don't understand. It's not preparing before you log out, it's being prepared before even that. You need to constantly be mindful of your situation. You shouldn't need to go looking for a can of beans 10 minutes before logging out if you play the game correctly and maintain your resources.

You guys still don't understand.

I understand it just fine, I just find it extremely stupid and over the top.

I had 1 pasta, 1 sardine, 1 coke and 1 pepsi.. life came a knockin', but when I came back almost 2 days later, I had nothing and was starved and died.

I was on day 2(my personal best), and all my progress and diligence went out the window.

This shouldn't be "DayZ: Not for Casual Gaming"

I had 1 pasta' date=' 1 sardine, 1 coke and 1 pepsi.. life came a knockin', but when I came back almost 2 days later, I had nothing and was starved and died.

I was on day 2(my personal best), and all my progress and diligence went out the window.

This shouldn't be "DayZ: Not for Casual Gaming"

[/quote']

Are you sure the issue wasn't one of the many resets that have happened?

Who the hell said anything about entitlement, we are pointing out a ridiculous aspect of this game. It IS a game, calling an orange an apple, doesn't make it an apple. And yes, you are an ass kisser.

Thanks for making this post I have learned a lot

1. Always have 1 food can and water bottle when logging off

2. Eating 1 of each make's It full

3. Only eat when It's flashing red

4. you won't die when not on for a week/month but you will be hungry and thirsty when logging In

My own Idea >.>

Check how much you eat and drink when playing the game If you eat/drink 2 each time grab 1 more of each same if you do 3 grab 1 more >.>

The reason it is like this is because the legacy game (believe it or not) was much crueler. You actually lost items while offline.

I haven't gotten around to finally removing this because it is currently run off values baked into the database, and I've been too busy making hats to sell in game.

I mean, I know I say that experiement line a lot - but that only really references whole new mechanics. The reason most things aren't changed that need to be is because I simply don't have the time to do major architectural changes. I'm focusing on the moderate difficulty, big win, items that are lower risk - especially when I am tired. When I'm fresh I focus on the big issues.

I'll see if I can squeeze it in for an update this week :)

The reason it is like this is because the legacy game (believe it or not) was much crueler. You actually lost items while offline.

I haven't gotten around to finally removing this because it is currently run off values baked into the database' date=' and I've been too busy making hats to sell in game.

I mean, I know I say that experiement line a lot - but that only really references whole new mechanics. The reason most things aren't changed that need to be is because I simply don't have the time to do major architectural changes. I'm focusing on the moderate difficulty, big win, items that are lower risk - especially when I am tired. When I'm fresh I focus on the big issues.

[/quote']

This guy.

Good to know it's not planned to stay, and terrifying to know that the vanilla game is even crueler.

But you can not always prepare. There will be times where you simply need to get off the game before you find that extra can of beans. And' date=' as an avid gamer/developer/whathaveyou, I find it wrong to punish the player for not playing your game. In any case, I can see we've got a classic case of immovable object against an unstoppable force--so I'm going to call it quits on this.

[/quote']

True enough, you can't always determine when you'll log out and such but to call it a punishment for not playing the game seems a bit too harsh to me. The fact of the matter is, it's a persistent world sandbox the repercussions aren't THAT bad, it merely adds a layer of realism. Perhaps in the future there could be a system that when one logs out in a tent or so it negates the drain. If I log out of EVE and I don't queu skills to train I won't learn anything, does the game 'punish' me in that regard? Perhaps, a little. Does it truly affect anything, not all that much.

Same goes for DayZ, okay my character will be hungry and thirsty when I log in. Well I'll simply have to make a quick detour on my way to wherever I was going to pick up a tin of sardines and a can of soda. No big deal and it is a nice indication of how the world is indeed persistent.

I haven't gotten around to finally removing this because it is currently run off values baked into the database' date=' and I've been too busy making hats to sell in game.

[/quote']

Rocket, thank you for your time and response. I've been playing and participating with mod development for a loong time, and it is refreshing what you are doing..

I appreciate your length of explanation and rational behind DayZ.

I like Rockets's explanation. Now every time someone whines about food and water I can tell them "It's either what we have or you lose your gear when you log off but you won't get hungry or thirsty offline."

lol the entitled idiots popping up now just disgusts me.

just because you play it doesnt mean it has to work for you, so what if you have a real life and cant play it for some days like people have said some planning while your actually playing and you will be fine.

rocket dont listen to these crybabies everybody else fully understands what your trying to do but they like they do for alot of other games will ruin it for everybody else just so it works for them.

i love the fact that whenever i play i have to plan out everything like always having backup food and water for these type of occassions.