zalman

Why does this game punich you for going OFFLINE?!

WTF are you talking about dummy. You guys are a huge problem, you yell and scream that everything is perfect without paying attention to what the fuck is being discussed. He said he is going to remove it, it is a legacy problem. And it was a stupid design decision. There are a lot of stupid design decisions in this mod. You howling retards who try to shout down people who make valid complaints aren't good for anything.

Most of you just want to run around like retards with your starting weapon and shoot anybody you see and call yourself hardcore.

And it's Alpha for a goddamn reason, it is supposed to be tested, feedback is supposed to be given and changes are made. If you are just playing and not giving real feedback you're useless. Go back to whining about carebears and other stupid shit.

WTF are you talking about dummy. You guys are a huge problem' date=' you yell and scream that everything is perfect without paying attention to what the fuck is being discussed. He said he is going to remove it, it is a legacy problem. And it was a stupid design decision. There are a lot of stupid design decisions in this mod. You howling retards who try to shout down people who make valid complaints aren't good for anything.

Most of you just want to run around like retards with your starting weapon and shoot anybody you see and call yourself hardcore.

And it's Alpha for a goddamn reason, it is supposed to be tested, feedback is supposed to be given and changes are made. If you are just playing and not giving real feedback you're useless. Go back to whining about carebears and other stupid shit.

[/quote']

If you read what he says, he says he is going to remove the deleting of items. Sorry bud, but you still aren't right.

The reason it is like this is because the legacy game (believe it or not) was much crueler. You actually lost items while offline.

I haven't gotten around to finally removing this because it is currently run off values baked into the database' date=' and I've been too busy making hats to sell in game.

I mean, I know I say that experiement line a lot - but that only really references whole new mechanics. The reason most things aren't changed that need to be is because I simply don't have the time to do major architectural changes. I'm focusing on the moderate difficulty, big win, items that are lower risk - especially when I am tired. When I'm fresh I focus on the big issues.

I'll see if I can squeeze it in for an update this week :)

[/quote']

Thanks rocket, all i ever wanted to hear :) thanks for the great work!

WTF are you talking about dummy. You guys are a huge problem' date=' you yell and scream that everything is perfect without paying attention to what the fuck is being discussed. He said he is going to remove it, it is a legacy problem. And it was a stupid design decision. There are a lot of stupid design decisions in this mod. You howling retards who try to shout down people who make valid complaints aren't good for anything.

[/quote']

So apparently only your opinion and that of those who agree with you counts as 'real' feedback. We're just as much part of this community as you are and we have just as much right to give our opinion about a feature as you do. We like it, you don't. Does that make us wrong? Does that make us useless? I highly doubt it, it does make you a huge cunt for calling us that though. Maybe try to voice your opinion in a less arrogant, more grown up way next time and perhaps you'll be able to actually have a constructive discussion with someone.

We enjoy the amount of realism and immersion it adds and we've versed our opinion in a mostly mature manner. Meanwhile I've only seen you calling people names and bitching about how you think this mod is filled with 'bad' design decisions, all in a very immature, arrogant and even agressive fashion...

[/quote']

So apparently only your opinion and that of those who agree with you counts as 'real' feedback. We're just as much part of this community as you are and we have just as much right to give our opinion about a feature as you do. We like it, you don't. Does that make us wrong? Does that make us useless? I highly doubt it, it does make you a huge cunt for calling us that though. Maybe try to voice your opinion in a less arrogant, more grown up way next time and perhaps you'll be able to actually have a constructive discussion with someone.

We enjoy the amount of realism and immersion it adds and we've versed our opinion in a mostly mature manner. Meanwhile I've only seen you calling people names and bitching about how you think this mod is filled with 'bad' design decisions, all in a very immature, arrogant and even agressive fashion...

He said it was a legacy problem and it is being removed. No, I'm talking about the retards who howl about anybody saying something is broken or is poorly designed. Like the retards in here saying we are acting entitled. They don't even understand what that means.

Most of you weren't even defending the mechanic, you just explained how to deal with it, or blindly cupped Rocket's balls and defended everything in the game.

It's like the idiots who parrot his experiment comment, taking it completely literally like a bunch of dummies.

We enjoy the amount of realism and immersion it adds...

How does this mechanic add realism and immersion? What is it intended to simulate? Cite one example of how this is realistic' date=' and I'll throw it back at you and show you how every item in your inventory should have to be used the moment you log back in.

I don't actually mind the inconvenience this mechanic causes, but I do mind that it seems completely arbitrary and inconsistent, and no one has yet even offered up an explanation for how it isn't those things.

Most of you weren't even defending the mechanic, you just explained how to deal with it...

Fucking exactly.

Rocket's explanation was perfect, so now we don't even need to discuss this anymore. I'd just like to throw a massive "I told you so" out there to all the... uhh... let's just call you guys "survivors", that have been cheerleading this broken mechanic.

They won't even read it is being removed, they will just blindly defend anything in the mod, even if it is shit and argue with anybody who doesn't like a game mechanic.

It is hilarious all the morons that were in here acting like they were defending Rocket's vision, and he comes in and says it's shite but he hasn't had time to remove it yet.

[/quote']

If you read what he says, he says he is going to remove the deleting of items. Sorry bud, but you still aren't right.

Uh...no he didn't .

Read it again.

He is working on fixing the food and water offline usage issue when he has time because it is part of the game architecture and takes time to remove.

God, this has fuck all to do with Rocket's vision for me... the man can talk about adding pink ponies for all I care. I liked the feature wether it is consider broken or not. Realism, of course it adds realism. The world itself is a persistent one (resets aside), time progresses in real time and the world goes on even if you're not logged in. The fact that you don't simply vanish from this world even if you log out and that your character went hungry and thirsty during the time you weren't playing makes perfect sense to me.

and I'll throw it back at you and show you how every item in your inventory should have to be used the moment you log back in.

What the hell are you even on about?

...you don't simply vanish from this world even if you log out and that your character went hungry and thirsty during the time you weren't playing makes perfect sense to me.

So if you didn't vanish from the world, then you were also attacked by the zeds that would've inevitably tripped over your body, so you'd log back in bleeding and need immediate bandaging. They'd eat through your shin bones, so you'd naturally have to consume your morphine and painkillers, too. It'd be ridiculous to think that all this would happen and you'd sleep right through it, so you should have a number of bullets subtracted from your inventory to simulate the fight you'd have put up. Also, when you log back in, those zeds should still be there, so you'd have to kill them for real before you can move on.

And then there's the matter of what bandits like myself would've done to your body while you're not attending to it... for one, we'd have looted your pack. You don't want to know the rest.

Making any sense yet? It adds realism, and immersion, albeit it's added while you're not there to enjoy it, but it's there all the same. Deal with it, carebear.

So if you didn't vanish from the world' date=' then you were also attacked by the zeds that would've inevitably tripped over your body, so you'd log back in bleeding and need immediate bandaging. They'd eat through your shin bones, so you'd naturally have to consume your morphine and painkillers, too. It'd be ridiculous to think that all this would happen and you'd sleep right through it, so you should have a number of bullets subtracted from your inventory to simulate the fight you'd have put up. Also, when you log back in, those zeds should still be there, so you'd have to kill them for real before you can move on.

And then there's the matter of what bandits like myself would've done to your body while you're not attending to it... for one, we'd have looted your pack. You don't want to know the rest.

Making any sense yet? It adds realism, and immersion, albeit it's added while you're not there to enjoy it, but it's there all the same. Deal with it, carebear.

[/quote']

Yes, clearly I'm a carebear for liking a feature that makes the game harder. I'm not saying your character has to actually stay in the world, also who is to say the character just sits there. Just because I'm not controlling it doesn't mean that it isn't present in said world. It could do all sorts of things while I ain't there... all it takes is a little imagination. I would have no issue whatsoever with the possibility of random events that occurred while I wasn't there. I could have gotten killed, I could have gotten injured or whatever... but that'd upset way to many people and everyone would go off crying about it. That would define a truly persistent world and just having the food and thirst mechanic was a nice, fairly balanced and not too drastic way to somewhat simulate this.

So if your character doesn't vanish, but is somehow doing productive things of his own accord, then why can't he feed himself while you're not watching him? He can apparently stealth around avoiding the zombie hordes and magically wind up in the exact place you left him just in time for you to arrive at the helm again...

I don't think you can have it partway on this issue. Either your character isn't there (which he isn't) or he is there, and my crew of bandits are doing obscene and unspeakable things to his unresponsive body.

If you read rocket's post, you'll notice that it wasn't intended to be a simulation of anything, just a leftover mechanic that has yet to be removed. Fair and balanced? I think you've missed the point on that one too. We, the players, are the ones doing the balancing.

Because it isn't a supported feature, I said it gave a sense of realisme (a hint towards a persistent world), never said it was perfect. If it was a fully fledged feature then you indeed wouldn't spawn in the same place as you logged out and there could've been random events like being killed by bandits, starving because you didn't find food, whatever...

And yeah the character isn't there, that doesn't mean things can't be simulated though.

Also, I know very well it isn't supposed to actually be there and that it'll be removed, does that mean I'm not allowed to like it? You do the balancing? I'd love to see you balance out the game if someone added randomly teleporting ducks of doom or something ridiculous like that...

Players can play with the tools the devs give them, sure we can band together to get rid of a couple of bandits or something and balance the gameplay in ways like that but the balancing of the tools and features is done by the devs. We're allowed to play in their sandbox with the tools they provide us and obey the, albeit limited, rules they give us but that's it...

I logged back in after a 4 day break and found that my character had traded most of his beans and ammo and wasted it' date=' the rest he spent on hookers and cocaine.

[/quote']

This is why having resources and hunger/thirst go down while offline is a bad idea. I'm not playing this game 24/7 since I have other things to do, namely trade for TF2 hats and debate to myself whether or not I should resub to EVE. Coming back to find all my stuff makes me not want to log back in... Or just click respawn since the starting equipment is pretty good, anyway. If my character is getting hungry and using resources while offline, then wouldn't my character still be searching houses and getting new loot?

Also, we need a new disease status effect to indicate whether or not your character has AIDS.

I wanted to keep it in.

Then someone posted saying that bleeding doesn't drop while offline, etc... etc.. and so this makes no sense.

And I realized. I think he was right. It doesn't really make a lot of sense. It was actually a key part of my design initially (whole aim was to stockpile and survive) but things adapt and change.

I wanted to keep it in.

Then someone posted saying that bleeding doesn't drop while offline' date=' etc... etc.. and so this makes no sense.

And I realized. I think he was right. It doesn't really make a lot of sense. It was actually a key part of my design initially (whole aim was to stockpile and survive) but things adapt and change.

[/quote']

If bleeding would does drop while being offline it will also prevent the players that get shot after 1 bullet to stop 'crashing' their client. I would love to see this built in :) This will totally scare of the chickens that are afraid to die.

Yeah I think bleeding should continue while offline. You should only log off in a 'safe' place.

I'm also happy with hunger and thirst increasing while offline, but the rate at which they increase should be much reduced (I'm not saying only reduced when offline).

Have you tried eating a can of baked beans every half an hour for a day??? The zombies would hear you a mile away from all the farting... Oh but hang on, drinking a pint of water every half an hour it'd be less fart, more diarrhoea.

If it can stop people to try to dodge dead Im all for bleeding while offline, hell I would even increase it. That being said, I dont mind having to eat/drink when logging in, almost feel like Im playing with a tamagochi or whatever it was called. Have to feed my little fellow, or else! :O

puniching

Please learn to spell, "Punish". It's not a typo when you do it multiple times.

Before you log out make sure you have food' date=' water, matches, and wood ready for when you log in. It's pretty easy to get over.

[/quote']

Exactly what I do. But its still annoying and non sensical.

I wanted to keep it in.

Then someone posted saying that bleeding doesn't drop while offline' date=' etc... etc.. and so this makes no sense.

[/quote']

Actually I logged out with blood below 5000, falling unconscious, blurred vision, no food etc and after a recent update I had my 12000 blood back and a can of beans in my pack...and was no longer a bandit. Happy days!

When you log off your status should be exactly what it is when you log back in. It is a flawed concept in it's current state. He has said so too. I'm all for it being difficult, but you have to work around the parameters of it still being a game. He appears to have other reasons behind it's removal, the unequal quality of this penalty over the lack of another, but I feel that should be the reason. People need to stop with the literal interpretations of his comment about an experiment as well.

It's alpha, not perfection. Flawed mechanics, decisions, features and implementation need to be removed or improved. I don't like that bandit skins are gone, but I understand the rationale behind it (while not agreeing with it). This is another thing all together.

Some features in this game just don't have any logical sense at all (from both gameplay and real-life perspectives) I can understand being prepared at all times, I mean that parts of being a survivor/survivalist (I know quite a bit about survival, no phun intended) but going hungry, sick, cold, etc. while offline I do not understand. Specially with resources being limited, this puts the players at a overwhelming odds (plus most players do no have control over their time spent playing).

Man... sometimes I ask myself if the designer of this game (rocket) is a freaking physcho lol. I know that the 'game' was designed to be an 'anti-game' (if its not a game, then what is it? simulator?) I know its supposed to be dark and brutal (I could understand 'brutal' in a The Road Movie-type-scenario) but I find the survival concept a bit flawed imho.

I wanted to keep it in.

[/quote']

Of course it doesn't make any sense, why would it? And I can understand the whole concept of stockpiling goods, etc, etc... I don't know maybe is a good opportunity to implement some sort of 'player goes to sleep while offline' (remember players do not have control over their time spent playing) ...

Hmmm.

Now that I think of it, this could be a excellent idea if and only if the players suffers from thirst after two to three days (without water or equal amout being offline) on which being offline counts and suffering from hunger after approx. a week, of course if the 'game' oughts to be a realistic as possible. But I know this is not the case.

Either way, I find the game good, but sometimes things just don't make any logical sense at all.

If no negative effect are incurred while offline then the advantage is with those who don't play very often. This would make for extremely poor gameplay.