Sign in to follow this  
c.chris.perry@gmail.com

[Idea] Server Admin Forum/Mailing List

With the recent issue of some people not realizing that hive needed to be updated, or even where to get the files. Might it be beneficial to set up a private Server Admin forum, or a mailing list for Server Admins that would allow the devs to contact all of them at once with important information?

Seconded, it can only be a good thing to have server admins talking through the same channels :)

Seconded' date=' it can only be a good thing to have server admins talking through the same channels :)

[/quote']

I mean, this forum is great for the general discussion of servers, but the admins should have a no-nonsense, admin resource forum where they discuss the inner workings that should be separate from here.

I don't know about you guys, but the subscribe links on this forum work very well for me.

attachment.php?aid=445

Everything community management wise seems very very disorganized to me, when it comes to DayZ. It's hard to get a hold of the Developers without contacting each one individually. I'll be lucky if I get a reply back from one of them within a day(These guys are busy, so I don't blame them for this). This often causes the developers to overlap when troubleshooting things IMO (I had two developers troubleshoot the same problem a few days ago, because the second dev wasn't aware that the first dev had allready fixed my issue. The Second dev broke it again while troubleshooting. It took another 2 days for another developer to fix it again, so the server was down for a total of 3 days because of this.)

Personally, What I would like to see is a better website and server support group. I've been trying to get myself added to the Server Hosts group for almost two weeks now. The developers that I've asked so far, don't have the ability to do it, and I feel like I've missed out on a lot of information that could of helped me setup my server much quicker.

Having a team (Like the one Mojo is attempting to setup), that's properly trained, and responsible for assisting other Server Hosts on the website and IRC, I think would take a lot of demand for support off the shoulders of the development team, and allow them to get back to developing the game. The "Support" team can resolve all of the issues which are common mistakes on the server owners part, and escalate bugs, and advanced issues to the development team so they only need to deal with whats important. The support group can even handle the update requests.

I've allready seen numerous very tech savy people step up and volunteer to be a part of Mojo's Community support team, including programmers who have built their own monitor and admin utilities which work better than some of the DayZ official tools. I think this support team idea would be a very good step for DayZ.

I'd love to subscribe to this forum, but then I'd be bombarded with the 15 threads a day about not being able to join servers. I'm talking about a forum where it's only server admins, and discussions on resources and policies can be had without interruption by non-admins.

Sound like a good idea to avoid more confusion. Additional forum-thingies would be a subforum for hosts that offer dayz-hosting and such, to avoid spammage and rulebreaking in the main forums.

Oh, and a email-list for mirrors :D:D

I'd love to subscribe to this forum' date=' but then I'd be bombarded with the 15 threads a day about not being able to join servers. I'm talking about a forum where it's only server admins, and discussions on resources and policies can be had without interruption by non-admins.

[/quote']

I meant subscribe to the announcements forum. I've never missed an update while subscribed to that.

I'd love to subscribe to this forum' date=' but then I'd be bombarded with the 15 threads a day about not being able to join servers. I'm talking about a forum where it's only server admins, and discussions on resources and policies can be had without interruption by non-admins.

[/quote']

I meant subscribe to the announcements forum. I've never missed an update while subscribed to that.

Well, as we can see from the other posts in that thread, it was announced, but no information on how to update was included. Lots of servers were set up by the devs, and no information was given to the admins on where to find updated files.

Well' date=' as we can see from the other posts in that thread, it was announced, but no information on how to update was included. Lots of servers were set up by the devs, and no information was given to the admins on where to find updated files.

[/quote']

Thats why I stated that I think everything is rather disorganized right now for the server hosting community. I know the information on where to get everything exists. It's just that only 25% of the server hosting community has access to it right now. I don't think rocket originally intended for this experiment to reach the size that it has. So that brought in an entire new issue of managing this now massive community of server hosters.

That's where I think the Volunteer Server Admin Group that Mojo has started could really make a huge difference. Although we *Can Not* Whitelist servers, Myself and other members of his team allready have the knowledge and resources needed to setup a DayZ server, as well as secure and update the box it's running on. The last thing the DayZ team needs is a group of hackers getting access to an insecure game server, and doing something bad with the access it gains. Having a knowledgeable server admin group that educates the community about proper security greatly reduces the risk of that happening.

And as for the Whitelisting of servers. I'm pretty sure we could come up with a system between the Developers and Admin group that allows us to request IP's. We could even stream line that process for them too I bet.

I've added the server hosts from this thread to the group. Tell me if I missed any.

Sykotix, can you double confirm? I've previously added you to the group, but I've not set it as your primary display group.

You should be able to see the server hosts forum below this.

I think even if there is a forum section for server hosts it would still be nice to see a mailing list for immediate updates as I could pipe that to my phone or make one of my techs do it. Also, Joel I'd love to get added if possible, currently hosting Dallas 13.