Micro1394

Guy who shot me @NWAF N Barracks last night.

I was loot cycling north barracks and you tagged me in the chest with an assault rifle while I was leaving. I managed to prone behind a tree in your sight line and watched as an assload of zeds decended upon you.

You may have noticed me call friendly (always do and only kill as last resort) while your tracers lit the sky in different directions.

Then you disconnected.....

Next time maybe think about the fact that you shot someone who is armed with a M4 Holo and they still called friendly, never know if they might help with the zeds and offer some of the giant pile of military weapons on the ground only 30m to your left that I ended up leaving to rust.

Not everyone in the north is about death match.

Edited by Micro1394
  • Like 10

"loot cycling"?

Removing all loot from a spawn, dropping it in a pile then moving 200m away to get loot to respawn.

Ah ..... thought you meant server hopping.

You get half beans, as I still consider that an exploit, though.

I scoured the forums before doing it, as far as I can tell it is an accepted method of farming loot.

Anyways I thought it was funny that my attacker ends up combat logging while I just take it, manage to live and keep on going. rofl.

how long once you remove the loot and go 200m away does it take for it to respawn?

how long once you remove the loot and go 200m away does it take for it to respawn?

Just a few minutes.

How is this an exploit? You are staying in one area and risking your life every second you stay. If you do this at the NW airfield your presence will eventually be seen by someone else interested in looting the barracks too. Zombies spawn around the barracks giving away your position. If anything this is just ballsy play, and I do it too. If the spawning of loot wasn't broken, and didn't rely on server restarting then we wouldn't need to do this. It is clear from the way it was coded that if you remove a spawn, the next time the server calculates spawn chance * loot spawn there could be a new pile. Get over yourself.

• Like 7

BEFORE HAND I KNOW THIS ISNT WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

But.

The looting is the same, farming it is essential to gaining a cache of backups - So by "resetting" the loot by moving away and back, its doing the same thing as WoW - resetting instances and farming bosses (I don't personally play WoW). It still offers the same risks involved but instead of server hopping, its a legit way of farming a high yield spot, whilst also having a constant spawn of zeds or eventual players, which makes it challenging. Even more so that it slowly wears you down being shot at/hit by zeds.

Exploit? So when I loot everything from one location and come back later on my way to another location and loot respawn - I'm some kind of exploiter? rofl gg

How is this an exploit? You are staying in one area and risking your life every second you stay. If you do this at the NW airfield your presence will eventually be seen by someone else interested in looting the barracks too. Zombies spawn around the barracks giving away your position. If anything this is just ballsy play, and I do it too. If the spawning of loot wasn't broken, and didn't rely on server restarting then we wouldn't need to do this. It is clear from the way it was coded that if you remove a spawn, the next time the server calculates spawn chance * loot spawn there could be a new pile. Get over yourself.

My favorite line is "If the spawning of loot wasn't broken..." If that razor blade wasn't left of the table you wouldn't have cut yourself. If that gun would've been on safe I wouldn't have accidently shot that guy. That line itself incriminates yourself as an exploiter. Just because it is broken doesn't mean you have to poke it. As you said "Get over yourself". If something is broken and you use that to your advantage then it is an exploit.

Definition of EXPLOIT

1: to make productive use of : utilize <exploiting your talents> <exploit your opponent's weakness>

2: to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage

I'm with jesquik. I never considered it an exploit but still made sure to find an official stance on the subject. It is down right sketchy to do it at NWAF but thus far the rewards outweigh the risks.

Honestly I'm only doing it to find NVG's, otherwise I find it fun to location hop for loot.

My favorite line is "If the spawning of loot wasn't broken..." If that razor blade wasn't left of the table you wouldn't have cut yourself. If that gun would've been on safe I wouldn't have accidently shot that guy. That line itself incriminates yourself as an exploiter. Just because it is broken doesn't mean you have to poke it. As you said "Get over yourself". If something is broken and you use that to your advantage then it is an exploit.

Definition of EXPLOIT

1: to make productive use of : utilize <exploiting your talents> <exploit your opponent's weakness>

2: to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage

Not sure where you get your definition of exploit, but here's a different, and equally valid, definition for you:

(noun) - a striking or notable deed; feat; spirited or heroic act.

Words are liquid, and change meaning frequently and always within context. Please don't use some arbitrary definition of a word to prove me wrong, because it won't work. You are trying to say that loot cycling ANY spawn point is UNFAIR, and I'm saying you're wrong. Every loot spawn has a risk matched up with it's reward simply because players and zombies will be in higher numbers at the best loot areas.

Oh I know how to fix this! We should get rid of server restarts because that causes new loot to spawn too!

Oh wait, you know what, server restarts are fine because it's done on a schedule and it isn't player controlled. Is that what you're thinking? Well server restarts are exploited all the time, especially with heli crashes (it's news I know.)

Oh wait.. I know what you're doing!

You're just splitting hairs in order to feel better about yourself.

Thanks for wasting my time.

• Like 1

I'm with jesquik. I never considered it an exploit but still made sure to find an official stance on the subject. It is down right sketchy to do it at NWAF but thus far the rewards outweigh the risks.

Honestly I'm only doing it to find NVG's, otherwise I find it fun to location hop for loot.

In reality, NVGs are very hard to find. I played for 3 months and only found ONE in the wild on a crashed heli. Currently EVERY item in the game is duped and we have INSANE item inflation. This will change once duping is fixed.

My recommendations:

1) Wait for server reset and drive around in a vehicle to find crashes.

2) Lock down the airfield with a few people and loot cycle.

3) Find someones tent and take theirs.

4) Kill someone and take theirs.

agree with over inflation, but also think that the mechanism works fine for people who just play the game the way it is too. sometimes ill check out stary, then the nwaf barracks, then back to stary, or will use several watchtower and run a circle between them. sometimes dropping all the loot outside of the place in order to cause a respawn. But yes, I also agree this is exploiting, but there just really isnt a better way within the arma 2 engine. It could be done better. I have found several clan leaders who host a server and have a large number of people doing just this, and then abusing their admin rights and kicking folks when they find and take their stuff. I think that is more messed up than the loot farming itself, but I feel that the farming kind of encourages both types of behavior.

Hard to find is a relative term... i think the M4 SD is hard to find becuase i have literally never seen one ever. I have multiples of every other weapon in the game and have never seen one single M4 SD. Yet people find those like crazy at the barracks. BTW i have 5 sets of NVG's and i've never server hopped or loot cycled. Just find a downed heli kill the zeds loot the pilots and check the ground. Keep doing that and you'll find a bunch of NVG's. Finding a downed heli is kind of difficult sure but its far safer and has much better results on the nvg's since the pilots and the heli itself can drop them.

Not sure where you get your definition of exploit, but here's a different, and equally valid, definition for you:

(noun) - a striking or notable deed; feat; spirited or heroic act.

Words are liquid, and change meaning frequently and always within context. Please don't use some arbitrary definition of a word to prove me wrong, because it won't work. You are trying to say that loot cycling ANY spawn point is UNFAIR, and I'm saying you're wrong. Every loot spawn has a risk matched up with it's reward simply because players and zombies will be in higher numbers at the best loot areas.

Oh I know how to fix this! We should get rid of server restarts because that causes new loot to spawn too!

Oh wait, you know what, server restarts are fine because it's done on a schedule and it isn't player controlled. Is that what you're thinking? Well server restarts are exploited all the time, especially with heli crashes (it's news I know.)

Oh wait.. I know what you're doing!

You're just splitting hairs in order to feel better about yourself.

Thanks for wasting my time.

My definition is from Merriam-Webster, the lead book (if know what that is) when it comes to definitions. And sure I could Google the word exploit all day until I found a definition that suited my argument. Oh and sorry if I wasted your time. Obviously you waste your own time surfing the forums looking for someone to reply too, to make yourself feel better. I could care less what you think is legit and not legit. The fact of the matter is that "loot cycle" was not one of the talking points when the Dayz Dev team sat down to talk about this mod. So go ahead and continue to do whatever it is you believe is right, but I am telling you that is wrong. I don't care how much time you spend in one spot, how many zombies there are in that area, or whatever other excuse you have to tell yourself to make you believe its right, its wrong and its players like you that ruin gaming as a whole. I am sure you disconnect during firefights too, "cause if it wasn't allowed it wouldn't be in the game". And thank you for replying and letting me know I got you all riled up over a video game! Have a great day loot biking or cycling or whatever you call it. The fact that you've spent time in game or on the internet to figure that out tells me you have no time to waste. lol

I see peopel talking about item duplication but yet the only thing which happens to me is that tents EMPTY themselves.

Tell me a server where I can duplicate stuff thanks.

My definition is from Merriam-Webster, the lead book (if know what that is) when it comes to definitions. And sure I could Google the word exploit all day until I found a definition that suited my argument. Oh and sorry if I wasted your time. Obviously you waste your own time surfing the forums looking for someone to reply too, to make yourself feel better. I could care less what you think is legit and not legit. The fact of the matter is that "loot cycle" was not one of the talking points when the Dayz Dev team sat down to talk about this mod. So go ahead and continue to do whatever it is you believe is right, but I am telling you that is wrong. I don't care how much time you spend in one spot, how many zombies there are in that area, or whatever other excuse you have to tell yourself to make you believe its right, its wrong and its players like you that ruin gaming as a whole. I am sure you disconnect during firefights too, "cause if it wasn't allowed it wouldn't be in the game". And thank you for replying and letting me know I got you all riled up over a video game! Have a great day loot biking or cycling or whatever you call it. The fact that you've spent time in game or on the internet to figure that out tells me you have no time to waste. lol

You are a troll, and you cannot construct paragraphs, so it's probably best that you avoid instructing me on where to find the definition for a word. The point you make about finding a definition to suit an argument is EXACTLY what I was showing you. Sorry that I have to explain that for you, thinking is hard business.

You tried to argue that loot cycling is unfair, and now you've just degraded to the point of telling me to 'do whatever I want' in a similar cop out to the way people handle free speech. It's sad that instead of realizing that you are wrong, and admitting that there is truth in what I said, you start throwing insults at me. You have not got me 'riled up' in any way, and no amount of lols or 'disconnector' accusations are going to get you where you want to be, under my skin.

Also, responding to you isn't wasting my time. Reading your inane statements is. So please, stop wasting my time and say something useful. If you think that loot cycling is really unfair, clearly point out why it is. Educate us all on how it ruins the game experience.

Hard to find is a relative term... i think the M4 SD is hard to find becuase i have literally never seen one ever. I have multiples of every other weapon in the game and have never seen one single M4 SD. Yet people find those like crazy at the barracks. BTW i have 5 sets of NVG's and i've never server hopped or loot cycled. Just find a downed heli kill the zeds loot the pilots and check the ground. Keep doing that and you'll find a bunch of NVG's. Finding a downed heli is kind of difficult sure but its far safer and has much better results on the nvg's since the pilots and the heli itself can drop them.

In the end it is all chance based and completely reliant on server resets to clear broken spawn points and set new crashed helis. Unlike you I have found many M4 SD and only one NVG. I guess that is just how the randomness works out :)

So let's see if I have this right. You believe the act of taking advantage of a known bug is not an exploit because the risk is high? If that is what your saying, it is still taking advantage of a known bug with the end result you gaining gear that is favorable for you. Why not just server hop to find loot you want or again disconnect during a firefight or better yet just start scripting, yeah start scripting. And your right my grammar and paragraphs may not be up to par but unless your 14 and still think that shit matters or your just have no life and make sure your replies are the most correct they can be so that people don't think your restarted then yeah sure I guess it does. Oh and bro its just a game calm down wouldn't want you to have a heart attack cause someone on the internet doesn't agree with you and speaks out about it.

Not everyone in the north is about death match.

In fact, everyone everywhere is.