Graz (DayZ)

Make Dayz HARDER, Part A: Cities

Most of the suggestions are player friendly.

I love the hardcore realism, but I feel that once I have a gun I'm very low on challenges.

There are many ways to go about this in simpler terms, I might start basic;

CITIES need to be more dangerous,

These are where the infection hit first and hit hardest. Survivors are more present here and the legacy should remain.

Simplish ways to make the cities harder.

Hive generated evilness

• Bear traps on the streets (ya know just lying around)
  • Zombies locked in a room (maybe a quieter version, until they spot you of course)
  • I've always liked car & building alarms (from a game that shall remain nameless) go around being reckless and you'll draw a whole lot of attention
  • Overgrown parks (for ambushing and snipers)
  • More zombies in cities (supermarket/hospital/firestation spawn a greater number of zombies)
  • 'Ambient cit sounds' some random sounds/events that seem player initiated. eg doors opening, zombies aggro to buildings without players in them, twigs snapping (ideas needed)

I like tougher zombies but I'm unsure of how to get this done without breaking anything.

Why?

Cities are easily soloable, you can just sprint to the firestation, grab some stuff, run to the supermarket and gtfo.

Cities should be something to be avoided, more so then they are now. The also contain medical supplies, great navigation equipment and armament.

The message should be clear: you want to hit the heart of Cherno/Electro/Berez, you should bring your buddies and/or have some decent equipment.

We would see more clans and groups hitting cities for the rewards and challenge.

People would not head to the nearest major city first.

Bandits are more common around the coast.

There would be less reckless rushing in the population bases.

EDIT: Added some more proposed changes

Part B will be on zombies

Please stick to the cities for this post :)

Edited by Graz
  • Like 16

Yes, this game is too easy, even from the beggining I didnt have any sort of challenge. Totally needs this.

• Like 1

Great idea. I also think zombies need to be harder. I feel like its more of a bandit survival game rather than zombie. Make it so me or another survivor actually fears firing a shot in a town. May balance the PvP aspect a bit in cities at least. Make zombies stronger, make them scarier, make them a REAL threat.

• Like 1

Harder is good, but i wouldnt want anywhere to be 'groups only'.

Some of us like to lone wolf, because we have no friends.

• Like 3

Post is going to be edited, I wasn't getting at groups only!!!

I want the game to be harder, grouping is a side effect.

Cities shouldn't be free loot for the new spawn, it should be something that attracts bandits, groups and higher tech players.

Players should spawn in small cities, like Pustoshka(not sure if name is right), and make Cities a living hell, and military equipments on the middle of the cities, not in the airfield, but only if cities are deadly as hell

• Like 2

Players should spawn in small cities, like Pustoshka(not sure if name is right), and make Cities a living hell, and military equipments on the middle of the cities, not in the airfield, but only if cities are deadly as hell

I am %100 for this.

I'm also a believer that a lesser chopper crash type deal is in the cities, such as a wrecked truck (lootable) with soldier zombies. So that there is more reason to investigate a town in a more thorough way, apart from a beeline to the hospital/supermarket.

Couldn't agree more, the cool shit should be in the cities, but only if they are hell to get in and out off.

"Get an L8 or die trying" motto of cherno?

Then you should get weapon,ammo,tool spawning much more higher since its going to be harder to get just to even the odds...

• Like 1

Have some beans! I've been wanting this too. It would be awesome if there were hundreds of zombies in the major cities, just wandering around looking for a snack.

@Johnpwnedyou I don't think making guns/ammo/supplies more common is a fix. As the game stands now I have no problem running through cities getting geared up an hour after a fresh spawn. I have no consequences for firing a shot in a town other than players. If zombies were more brutal and a real challenge then players would be less prone to killing players and have more incentive to teaming up/ helping other survivors. This is only my opinion and it could not even be a valid fix but its something I'd like to see.

Most of the suggestions are player friendly.

I love the hardcore realism, but I feel that once I have a gun I'm very low on challenges.

There are many ways to go about this in simpler terms, I might start basic;

CITIES need to be more dangerous,

These are where the infection hit first and hit hardest. Survivors are more present here and the legacy should remain.

Simplish ways to make the cities harder.

Hive generated evilness

• Bear traps on the streets (ya know just lying around)
  • Zombies locked in a room (maybe a quieter version, until they spot you of course)
  • I've always liked car & building alarms (from a game that shall remain nameless) go around being reckless and you'll draw a whole lot of attention
  • Overgrown parks (for ambushing and snipers)

I like tougher zombies but I'm unsure of how to get this done without breaking anything.

Why?

Cities are easily soloable, you can just sprint to the firestation, grab some stuff, run to the supermarket and gtfo.

Cities should be something to be avoided, more so then they are now. The also contain medical supplies, great navigation equipment and armament.

The message should be clear: you want to hit the heart of Cherno/Electro/Berez, you should bring your buddies and/or have some decent equipment.

We would see more clans and groups hitting cities for the rewards and challenge.

People would not head to the nearest major city first.

Bandits are more common around the coast.

There would be less reckless rushing in the population bases.

+1 dayz is to easy atm... it just dosn't give me that scared rush i used to get when i first started off. if zombies were hiding in buildings and locked in rooms...and the whole overgrown idea i reckon would add that feeling back a little.

Edited by paradox.
  • Like 1

By the way this should only apply in vet mode and ext mode ;) not reg and recruit

By the way this should only apply in vet mode and ext mode ;) not reg and recruit

By the way, dayz is dayz and the modes are only there because its arma

• Like 2

When the full game comes out it will all be in verteran/exspert no pussy crosshairs and no 3rd person and being able to tell range automatically and see players names.

Wow you guys i was just trying to put up a suggestion no need to be a bitch about it lol just say "John I strongly disagree with your opinion..." and blahblahblah no need to say mean stuff bout it. Jeez calm down bro why you so mad?

Im all for this. I took my first trip to cherno today expecting it to be wall to wall zombies but its no different than walking into a small village.

I strolled in, picked up a few odds and sods, strolled out. Easy

What exactly isn't 'hard' about this game?? With a game with no objectives, I don't see what's not hard.

It's as hard as you want to make it. You make your own objectives.

I think you are just PLAYING easy. Join full 50+ player vet servers, stay near the shore and make it your objective to kill as many zombies as possible without getting killed by zombies or other players all while gathering ammo and resources..see how long you last.

With the ammo bug fixed and zombies being able to hear again..this game may get TOO hard. I've been getting killed by zombies a whole lot more than other players. I usually scavange the middle of the map though so I don't run into many other players that often.

-D

Edited by daliputka
  • Like 1

What exactly isn't 'hard' about this game?? With a game with no objectives, I don't see what's not hard.

It's as hard as you want to make it. You make your own objectives.

I think you are just PLAYING easy. Join full 50+ player vet servers, stay near the shore and make it your objective to kill as many zombies as possible without getting killed by zombies or other players all while gathering ammo and resources..see how long you last.

With the ammo bug fixed and zombies being able to hear again..this game may get TOO hard. I've been getting killed by zombies a whole lot more than other players. I usually scavange the middle of the map though so I don't run into many other players that often.

-D

The middle of the map is close to Stary, that's a pretty popular spot!

The thread wasn't about me as an individual; However I usually stick near stary or head south to Cherno, both these areas are a stroll in the park (depending on player opposition). The issue this thread is trying to improve is that a huge city is no less difficult than a little city. The more experienced players find looting a bigger city easier, as there is more options open to avoiding zombie.

Big cities should have a different "feel" to them, and a lot of players who survive past the 24 hours mark need to have something to sink their teeth into.

Zombies that spawn inside buildings would be a good idea if the majority of the buildings present in cities were enterable.

Edited by Uz3

Anything that makes zombies harder to deal with and going in to cities something to fear is a good thing.

Zombies that spawn inside buildings would be a good idea if the majority of the buildings present in cities were enterable.

When they can run inside buildings, that will definitely add some tension :) I hope that day comes soon.
  • Like 1

Everyone wants to make life harder for newspawns. I don't think zombies should be able to run inside buildings (particularly since the game has some seriously screwed up animations when you pass through some doors that force you to stand up automatically), but I do think something needs to be done about the difficulty curve once guns are earned.

Want to know why the game's too easy? Zombies don't react realistically to sound.

Oh, sure, you have four zombies wandering around a warehouse and they'll be slightly interested if you fire your pistol. But zombies don't really care about people firing guns in this game. They care about people firing rifles while standing up at the end of the block.

I have a few suggestions.

1) Change silencers from movie physics to real physics. A silencer should lower the audible profile of a rifle to that of a pistol at best. None of this "walk up behind a zombie and put a bullet in the back of his head unseen" BS.

2) Zombies should hear a gunshot from at least halfway across town. I've seen zombies drop everything they're doing and head for a friggin' flare from four blocks away. Gunshots should do the exact same thing. Actually, gunshots should be even more enticing.

3) For this to work, you don't need tougher zombies. You just need more zombies. Cities should have three to four times as many zombies per square area as towns, but right now they're pretty similar. It makes no sense that five zombies spawn near a barn and five zombies spawn at a supermarket. Seriously, yo.

3a) Actually, maybe if you fire a gun in the city limits, zombies should spawn within a certain radius of where the gun was fired just to make things more interesting.

This way solo newspawn and groups have an equal shot at getting to the loot in a town filled with zombies. And if you want to start a firefight, you better have a back exit or you'll soon be surrounded by zombies.

• Like 1

When they can run inside buildings, that will definitely add some tension :) I hope that day comes soon.

Everyone wants to make life harder for newspawns. I don't think zombies should be able to run inside buildings (particularly since the game has some seriously screwed up animations when you pass through some doors that force you to stand up automatically), but I do think something needs to be done about the difficulty curve once guns are earned.

Want to know why the game's too easy? Zombies don't react realistically to sound.

Oh, sure, you have four zombies wandering around a warehouse and they'll be slightly interested if you fire your pistol. But zombies don't really care about people firing guns in this game. They care about people firing rifles while standing up at the end of the block.

I have a few suggestions.

1) Change silencers from movie physics to real physics. A silencer should lower the audible profile of a rifle to that of a pistol at best. None of this "walk up behind a zombie and put a bullet in the back of his head unseen" BS.

2) Zombies should hear a gunshot from at least halfway across town. I've seen zombies drop everything they're doing and head for a friggin' flare from four blocks away. Gunshots should do the exact same thing. Actually, gunshots should be even more enticing.

3) For this to work, you don't need tougher zombies. You just need more zombies. Cities should have three to four times as many zombies per square area as towns, but right now they're pretty similar. It makes no sense that five zombies spawn near a barn and five zombies spawn at a supermarket. Seriously, yo.

3a) Actually, maybe if you fire a gun in the city limits, zombies should spawn within a certain radius of where the gun was fired just to make things more interesting.

This way solo newspawn and groups have an equal shot at getting to the loot in a town filled with zombies. And if you want to start a firefight, you better have a back exit or you'll soon be surrounded by zombies.

They also can sometimes glitch through the wall,floor,stairs causing them to run up or go through the walls or attack you through the floor walls.
  • Like 1