UberFAKnNooB

Too much complaining about 3rd person view

Technically, to mimic real-world vision, screen bob would decrease the further from the center of the screen so bobbing would swing around a fulcrum with the center of the screen having no bob and the edges of the screen having larger bob. I've always wondered why game animators haven't figured out how this works yet, but I figure they just have the camera bounce to save time. In reality, the camera should find a point in the distance as far away as possible (the very center of the screen) and keep that motionless at all times.

Mirror's Edge tried to solve this problem by putting a dot in the center of the screen with no head bob, and it was effective but not perfect. If you want to split the difference 1) the very center of the screen stays nearly still, 2) the edges of the screen bob.

Aye... Arma's head bob is attrocious. Like was said above... your body counters the movement of you head in natural ways. Your eyes are not fixed lenses... the eye ball rotates to foccus on your center of vision and while your head bobs alot, the eyes foccus remains mostly intact... if you full sprint you'll not lose compelte foccus of your direction. What arma does is like having a camera strapped to you head. If you can try it and see if the results you get are anyway similar to the experience you had with your own eyes.

In more technical terms, the game needs to raycast to the either the nearest solid object or a maximum set distance and use that imaginary point in space to find a foccus point.

The camera has it's position parented to the character head (as is now) but the ROTATION should be AIM CONSTRAINED to the foccus point.

OR just disable HeadBob and have a close enough experience.

Why complain about 3rd person when it's an option everybody has to use at their own free will? If you play on a server where 3rd person is enabled and you do not use it, then you're then one making it a disadvantage to yourself, and at the same time you lose the right to bitch about it. That's how simple it is really.

Besides, yes, the players that use 3rd person can see over walls, around corners yadayadyadaydada, but you have to remember that this is the only thing you can do - you can only see, you can only watch, you can't fire at the guy you're looking at because there's a fockin wall in the way, which leads to the point - you got to make yourself visible to this person to be able to shoot at him and if he doesn't see you at that moment, it's probably because the guy wasn't cautious enough when he left the building in the first place.

But you guys seem to forget...the person further away from the object that is obstructing view is at disadvantage.The NPC in video that was killed would never see the player even with using 3rd person.So you can go on rooftops and now you just made game give you the advantage.....its not a fair system where one player will and one won't get the advantage IMO>

As was said many times, play on servers which disable 3rd person view.

I would rather play in 1st person mode, but the field of view is awful and zombies can spawn so randomly at times that you may have one right behind you which wasn't there a moment ago. It's fine to be snuck up on, not to be spawned on top of.

Using the game's mechanics is not something any player should feel obligated to apologize for.

Another reason why Bohemia can't pull off technology like Hammerpoint interactive, they are a tiny company compared to a North American company with tons of connections.

http://www.vg247.com...ns-in-24-hours/

Bohemia only is used to making military sim, and not used to producing games outside it's scope.

It could be because they originated in Czech so they are like STALKER's company, they got the views but not the tech/funding/experience.

About Hammerpoint Interactive

Hammerpoint Interactive was formed in 2011 by a team of experienced developers looking to create a fresh experience in the online, multiplayer arena. Having worked with large publishers, such as Electronic Arts and Activision, as well as on multiplayer games, such as World of Tanks, the team possesses the knowledge and skill to create multiplayer games that appeal to both hardcore and mainstream gamers. The company, backed and financed by Arktos Entertainment Group, is located in Los Angeles.

About Arktos Entertainment Group

Arktos Entertainment Group (www.arktosentertainment.com ) is a privately held Los Angeles based investment and holding company, providing investment as well as creative and production management support for companies in the interactive and online entertainment industries.

Edited by dra6o0n

I don't think it will be removed from the game. Once dayz goes-standalone, it has to be accessible for a broad audience and as it is now, crawling through high grass in 1st person is for hardcore gamers only.

people who talk about *reality* in a zombie game are pretty stupid ....its a game after all

I mean really this guy int he video is just a tool ,every game has different camera options its not cheating its just using the game ,cheating is where one person has the advantage but as everyone can use both views then i just dont see your point

Another reason why Bohemia can't pull off technology like Hammerpoint interactive, they are a tiny company compared to a North American company with tons of connections.

http://www.vg247.com...ns-in-24-hours/

Bohemia only is used to making military sim, and not used to producing games outside it's scope.

It could be because they originated in Czech so they are like STALKER's company, they got the views but not the tech/funding/experience.

I dont understand this post. Comparing BIS to Hammerpoint? You do know that Arma2 is from 2009 right? And tell me again what year War Z is in? Wait until Arma 3 comes out to compare the two technology wise.

Judging by your prejudice in that video i may just think that it sounds like a need some milk and cookies while you dry your tears.

Anyway, as has been said, just go join hardcore servers and let other people do what they want. I like 3rd person because i think it makes for a more realistic peripheral vision.

In real life your eyes arent stuck looking forward out of your head and you most definately dont need to do anything anoying like using the alt key to look around, it is natural and free, and i get that immersion with 3rd person.

being able to use it to your advantage is something that anyone can do against you anyway and to be honest, that guy is stood in the middle of fucking nowhere. that kind of situation simply does not happen in DayZ.

For these reasons i say that the very slight unrealism is a worthwhile cost for the ease of looking around in a more realistic manor (ignoring the fact that you can actually see yourself, but that isn't important) it is just one of those nice things that the devs have given us to balance gameplay and realism.

Of cource if they make the first person look cleaner with the arma 3 engine, i would have no problems with it being gone. all other first person shooters (battlefield, CoD ect) have great first person views. especially Call of duty. I'm no CoD fag, but i appriciate what a good job they did with the first person view. something about the ArmA 2 first person view is just wrong and takes away my immersion. I don't know what it is, but hopefully it is much cleaner in the next setup.

Edited by GexAlmighty

and id like a banhammer for elitist assholes that think its there game... people like playing video games booo hoooo

Their game...

There are people who rather play the game in 1st and people who rather play it in 3rd. I myself find the game far more entertaining when I travel in 3rd, it is also much easier on my sensitive eyes (first person shakes too much even when you are just make a new character and start running). As for using 3rd to look around corners, I don't consider it cheating if the server allows 3rd person because that is how a 3rd person shooter is meant to be played. Is it realistic? No but for many it enriches the experience.

The simplest solution for those who finds it ruins the experience is to go play on a server with first person only.

The reason third person was included in ArmA 2 is that an FoV of 180 is standard for human binocular vision. You don't get that in the game because it has 90 FOV, I think. Third person was to allow more natural vision, which sadly causes stuff like this. Third person is, and bear with me, the more realistic view mode, if only because it gives you a more realistic range of vision, but is set too high up. Either way, however, it is a feature which allows for much better situational awareness with or without this sort of peeking, and provides a way of experiencing your character as well.

Edited by Pfheonix

Its fine some servers use 3rd.

However Its not ok that gear taken from easy mode servers should be transferable to hard mode servers.

• Like 3

@party: you've forgotten the second part of my sentence ;)

the rest of it didn't make much sense.

The only way i would support the removal of 3rd person from the game, is if they somehow managed to find a way to give us true peripheral vision without having to buy multiple monitors to do so.

but since they cant acctually do that, then 3rd person is a good replacement for not having peripheral vision in video games. in real life you can see 160 degrees infront of you, in first person games its more like 90 degrees which is annoying.

this game is not ment to be "Realistic" its ment to be "Authentic" which is a step back from realism to make the game more fun.

Edited by Lykaios

But you guys seem to forget...the person further away from the object that is obstructing view is at disadvantage.The NPC in video that was killed would never see the player even with using 3rd person.So you can go on rooftops and now you just made game give you the advantage.....its not a fair system where one player will and one won't get the advantage IMO>

the point of finding higher ground is to give yourself an advantage, the higher ground always has a major advantage in real life and in games..

Edited by Lykaios

the only way outside of 3rd person view mode to reproduce natural human vision would be to buy 9 (Yes thats right NINE) seemless monitors and arange them in a concave shape in a 3x3 grid.

so like was stated before 3rd person is more realistic then first person. with 1 unrealistic drawback

and there is no way im going to be foreced to buy 9 monitors or even 2 additional monitors just so i can be compeditive with other players in the peripheral vision sense

3rd needs to stay.

Edited by Lykaios

Lol, a thing that everybody can use or has access to, is no cheating.

Further, "unrealistic" != "cheating" !

1st person already has peripheral vision built in, and the arma manual admitted that it was the more realistic option. Please stick to legitimate arguments, not this FOV crap. It's overkill, even if the FoV is wrong. That's like saying that no water should be consumed when we drink from a canteen at all, because we shouldn't consume the entire canteen. It's too much. 1st should just have a small FOV increase, and have headbob disabled. Simple, easy, clean, and most importantly, fair.

Also, just for the record, DayZ is a self-proclaimed 'anti-game', not a game. Rocket doesn't care about your sensitive eyes, he wants realism. Or, that's what I expect that he wants. Who knows, I guess. =\ Giving servers different option choices is an awful idea for gathering data, especially since there are so many 3rd person servers compared to 1st only. I'd love to play on 1st only, but there's only like 3 with decent ping, and 2 are out of date. Awesome.

• Like 3

1st person already has peripheral vision built in, and the arma manual admitted that it was the more realistic option. Please stick to legitimate arguments, not this FOV crap. It's overkill, even if the FoV is wrong. That's like saying that no water should be consumed when we drink from a canteen at all, because we shouldn't consume the entire canteen. It's too much. 1st should just have a small FOV increase, and have headbob disabled. Simple, easy, clean, and most importantly, fair.

Also, just for the record, DayZ is a self-proclaimed 'anti-game', not a game. Rocket doesn't care about your sensitive eyes, he wants realism. Or, that's what I expect that he wants. Who knows, I guess. =\ Giving servers different option choices is an awful idea for gathering data, especially since there are so many 3rd person servers compared to 1st only. I'd love to play on 1st only, but there's only like 3 with decent ping, and 2 are out of date. Awesome.

in rockets own words he does not want realism he wants authenticity which is not quite realism its a step back

What if the game devs would add in a LOS to the 3rd person game style.Right now in 3rd when you walk to a corner and then turn your character towards the wall you can see the person standing around the corner.Change this so that the person who would be spotted is now invisible until the player leans his head in to actually look.

• Like 2

people who talk about *reality* in a zombie game are pretty stupid ....its a game after all

I mean really this guy int he video is just a tool ,every game has different camera options its not cheating its just using the game ,cheating is where one person has the advantage but as everyone can use both views then i just dont see your point

My point which you seem to have failed to grasp is that people complain about the use of 3rd person view entirely. The video was posted to show the only problem with it and possibly give some players an idea on etiquette. I don't care if people use 3rd person. And obviously you must be blind because the advantage is allowing people to see around corners and over walls while remaining hidden, and giving them the chance to line up their shots much faster than anyone would be able to react. Do I really care if they do it? Not really, but I care enough to try to get the ones that HATE the use of 3rd person to change their minds.

As for the "it's in the game, so it isn't cheating" line... So when unintentional exploits are found and used frequently by players, they shouldn't be fixed because it they were already in the game right?

And here is an example that I found that bothered me, and it is one of the reasons for this post in the first place...

• Like 2

There's nothing wrong with 3rd person, if you don't like it go to a server that doesn't allow. I'm not a "CoD kiddie" I'm not "one of those people who bought ArmA solely for Day Z", I've been playing the series since OFP. I agree using it to peak around corners is nooby and quite frankly a pussy move but again it can be avoided using a server that bars 3rd person. I use 3rd person when I'm running around in the wilderness, In my opinion it makes everything smoother when I get to the urban areas I go 1st person as 3rd will most likely get you killed in a sudden firefight. My point is it doesn't really matter, if you don't want 3rd person "abuse" go to a 1st person only server. Saying 3rd person is problem is like saying "I hate the way I cant see at night", just go to a different server if you are unhappy.