UberFAKnNooB

Too much complaining about 3rd person view

There's nothing wrong with 3rd person, if you don't like it go to a server that doesn't allow.

Refer to the original post because I am seem to be repeating myself a lot. I made an edit to clear some things up.

hi,

I almost always prefer first person point of view in games. However, there are games where it is not quite well implemented. For example World of Warcraft and this game have like a zoom effect that prevents me from effectively calculating distances when turning around the corner or something. I guess it could be fixed be increasing the FOV but I haven't taken the time t see around the internet if there is a console command to adjust the FOV.

If you want to change FOV in ArmA2:

- Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My documents\ArmA 2

- Open YourName.ARMA2OAPROFILE file

- Make a backup

- Scroll down to fovTop and fovLeft

- Multiply both values the same (i.e: values 0.75 and 1.20 become 0.975 and 1.56 when multiplied by 1.3).

- Save the file

- Test and repeat the operation until you feel comfortable with the new FOV

- Enjoy.

I use the following settings with my 22'' monitor:

fovTop=0.98;

fovLeft=1.57;

I think I will make a topic about this since I guess a lot of people are wondering how to set FOV in ArmA2.

EDIT: here you go http://dayzmod.com/f...u-fov-in-arma2/

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller

You all have the option to use 3rd person so nobody has an advantage on you. It's up to you if you don't want to use it.

Sure there is... OP video, even if the guy he shot had been using 3th person he woudnt seen him behind the fence... that is the whole point of this thread...think of it.

ps. I play 3th person, it gives nice cinematic or what ever feel to the game.

Lets just blur all that you cant really see with your eyes in 3th person... would be SO AWESOME!!!!

in real life you can see 160 degrees infront of you, in first person games its more like 90 degrees which is annoying.

Umm, so what? What is the angular field of view in third person? That's right, it's exactly the same as it in first person. The only difference is that the position of the camera has changed allowing you to look over walls and around corners.

• Like 1

If the camera has moved back, the horizontal FOV is larger, you can see more to the sides of yourself, that's what Field of View means. It's just angled so that you can see yourself. Which also sort of makes sense, because in first person mode you can't be aware of what your own body is doing like you can in real life.

3rd person camera wasn't just left in to piss you off, it serves a purpose.

And if anybody gets scooped by someone who is using 3rd person camera angle it's their own fault, or maybe just bad luck.

If I killed you on a "Hardcore" 1st person server would I be "cheating" if I could see you before you saw me? No.

What if the game devs would add in a LOS to the 3rd person game style.Right now in 3rd when you walk to a corner and then turn your character towards the wall you can see the person standing around the corner.Change this so that the person who would be spotted is now invisible until the player leans his head in to actually look.

^^ This would be a good compromise if it could be implemented properly. :beans:

Sneaking towards a corner in 3dp might lull people into a false sense of security though. (pop out and realise there's 5 dudes standing in an apparently empty street? OH SHI.. *BANG*)

EDIT: My ignorance recorded for posterity.

Edited by Chabowski

If the camera has moved back, the horizontal FOV is larger

Actually no it isn't, if a camera's FOV is 90 degrees it is 90 degrees regardless of where you put that camera, note default ARMA is closer to 70 degrees. Moving the camera back does allow you to see more of your immediate surroundings but it doesn't change your FOV. Once you're looking at something more than a few 10s of meters away it makes almost zero difference whether you are in first or third person, assuming your line-of-sight isn't blocked by a fence etc. in first person.

If you don't believe me see one of my old posts with screenshots.

http://dayzmod.com/f...100#entry696850

I'll be happy enough if these types of difficulty settings are locked to distinct server classes that characters can't jump between when standalone comes out as Rocket has indicated. For now I'm just trying to make players more informed. Third person does not change your field of view.

Well fuck me sideways, U is way smart more than me is. :blush:

You can see a larger portion of the area in front of you and to the sides if the camera moves back. Maybe I meant it can increase your View of a Field?

While we're making players informed, There's a zoom out key (Guessing that doesn't change FOV either now, What is real?! :( ) It helps if you're in the ironsights view to get a look at a larger area , and your aim adjustment is significantly faster. by default it's bound to "numpad -" (minus) it's not so handy over there, but I like to be in 1st person if I expect a firefight (in cities/airfields) and it's a useful function. IMO

*away to look up FOV on wikipedia*

EDIT: Fuck that, was all equations n shit. I like sliders and default resolutions. OH, and zoom buttons.

Edited by Chabowski

There's a zoom out key (Guessing that doesn't change FOV either now, What is real?! :( )

Sorry, you're 0 for 2. Zooming out does increase you're FOV, that's exactly what it's for. If you want to change your FOV change your FOV, either temporarily or in the config file. Third person does not change your field of view.

*away to look up FOV on wikipedia*

EDIT: Fuck that, was all equations n shit. I like sliders and default resolutions. OH, and zoom buttons.

Oh no, math! To quote the relevant part:

Field of view in video games (or field of vision) abbreviated FOV is the extent of the observable game world that is seen on the display at any given moment.

The FOV is usually given as an angle for either horizontal or vertical FOV.

The value of an angle does not depend on where you place its apex.

Sorry, you're 0 for 2

I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well into text huh?

I just assumed the distance between the point of focus and the point where the 3rd person camera is was larger than the distance in first person.

I know I know, I should never assume, but who can be arsed measuring?

It doesn't bother me to be honest, I was trying to defend the way the game is now.

I can see you guys are dead set on your Hardcore 1st person banter, I just don't like seeing anyone hate on those who chose a different playstyle.

Both viewmodes have advantages (How anyone can shoot in 3rd person is beyond me.) But back (I think) on topic, on 3dp servers nobody is at a disadvantage unless it is self imposed.

BTW what's your FOV from up on your high horse? ^_^

I just don't like seeing anyone hate on those who chose a different playstyle.

Don't worry I don't hate you. Just be honest about why you like third person, which it looks like you are. I can respect that.

I just get tired of the players in every gameplay video on YouTube using all of the tricks the OP shows while posters on here constantly protest "I would never do that, I need it because the first person view is to narrow."

Me I love third person, when I'm playing Saints Row.

• Like 1

I suffer from virtual motion sickness. Third person greatly alleviates this, i actually cannot play first person view.

Pathetic i know.

Same :/ 1st just makes me hella sick. I can only use it when aiming or using Binocs and when im in buildings. Though getting around inside in first person is pretty clunky and weird

I suffer from virtual motion sickness. Third person greatly alleviates this, i actually cannot play first person view.

Pathetic i know.

Same :/ 1st just makes me hella sick. I can only use it when aiming or using Binocs and when im in buildings. Though getting around inside in first person is pretty clunky and weird

I just get tired of the players in every gameplay video on YouTube using all of the tricks the OP shows while posters on here constantly protest "I would never do that, I need it because the first person view is to narrow."

I know what you mean, but I like to know for certain that I'm hidden when lying in grass and stuff. (Like you would be able to IRL) And not break my legs crawling over twigs. (which I'm sure won't be a problem in standalone)

That's why I like the Line of Sight idea a LOT. But it might be hard to implement something like that, though everything on screen is rendered client side (obviously) so it might not be impossible when the modding community get their hands on all Rockets stuff. Here's hoping!!

Can't this just be solved for having 2 types of servers in the standalone?

One with both 3rd person and first person and one with first person only.

Because these kind of discussion can go on forever with both parties throwing good arguments towards the opposition.

I'd prefer calling these casual servers and realism servers.

Ultimately I would prefer realism servers. First person only, no crosshairs or any other aids. Maybe some other things can be tacked on to make this mode more authentic and realistic. No name tags (assuming SA will have those) and other stuff.

I know some people that can't play any game in first person due to motion sickness and other problems,So removing it just for a few things is selfish. It's simple... if you don't like third person,Play on a server that doesn't have third person.

If they just made the FOV in 1st person better people would enjoy it more. You can change it your self but they really should do it for the people who don't know what they are doing. That being said leave 3rdP for the scrubs that want to play in the kiddie pool and make 1stP better for the rest of us.

Simple dont play on 3rd person servers, and it is kind of fair since everyone can do it on 3rd person servers