Pat_the_Bunny

Why should killing other players be a punishable act?

I've seen quite a few people suggesting that players with low humanity need to be punished in one way or another, the most asinine of which is the "wait x minutes per y murders to repawn", and I have yet to find any reason why this would be even remotely acceptable. I'll admit that I've raged a bit because I was taken out by some one perched on a rooftop in Cherno, or because I get shot at mere moments after I respawn, but such is the atomosphere of the game and trying to penalize people for adding some risk and uncertainty into an otherwise tame world is utter garbage.

Without "bandits" what threats are there?

Zombies? Not really, considering you can out run them for as long as you want and their numbers have been diminished to the point that I have to go out of my way to get more than five following me at once.

Survival? Nope, because you have more than enough resources from the moment you start to make it from one end of the map to the other, and there's plenty more along the way.

Without other players trying to kill you the only real threat you would face is gravity.

I for one welcome the risk of crossing through a field not knowing if there's someone with me in their sights, just waiting for the right moment to take me out, or sneaking through town to grab supplies only to turn a corner and be gunned down by a group of strangers, because situations like these are where the tension comes from, not the zombies. So as long as they aren't cheating/hacking/exploiting the game in anyway, I say we let the PvP nuts have their fun, because without them this game would be little more than a nature hike simulator.

None wants to punish them.. we only want some kind of "realism". We're not against the bandits, we're against those kids that start to shot at everyone for no apparent reason from the first second in game, then die (for whatever reason) and do it again and again and again at every damn respawn, because they thinks this is CoD or Battlefield.

There MUST be a way to incentivate a "normal" (call it so) behavior, in real life you won't act like a troll, you would be scared, you would find other survivors, certainly there would be some sick person that would kill others, but you wouldn't have a so big number of assassins everywhere. Ppl will kill other ppl when it's convenient, nor because they want to try a new weapon.. it happens in a videogame and this is what we would see "fixed", the videogame playing style.. we would like to have something more immersive and "real".

Impossible, especially since you wouldn't be able to account for personality differences. Any limitations would be strictly unrealistic.

Bandits are the minority of this community, by a 9:1 last time I checked, which is completely "real". Yes, people tend to band together in situations like this, but there will ALWAYS be those who don't, which is perfectly represented here.

People need to stop posting about bandits. It's the smallest issue with this mod and somehow it's the thing everybody wants to bitch about.

None wants to punish them.. we only want some kind of "realism". We're not against the bandits' date=' we're against those kids that start to shot at everyone for no apparent reason from the first second in game, then die (for whatever reason) and do it again and again and again at every damn respawn, because they thinks this is CoD or Battlefield.

There MUST be a way to incentivate a "normal" (call it so) behavior, in real life you won't act like a troll, you would be scared, you would find other survivors, certainly there would be some sick person that would kill others, but you wouldn't have a so big number of assassins everywhere. Ppl will kill other ppl when it's convenient, nor because they want to try a new weapon.. it happens in a videogame and this is what we would see "fixed", the videogame playing style.. we would like to have something more immersive and "real".

[/quote']

Thats what you would do if it happened. Thats "your realism"

A guy like me, ex-military, I wouldn't flinch at shooting someone to take his stuff if I needed it. That is my "realism"

Stop trying to cure the CoDisease from DayZ, it wont happen untill you lads stop running directly to cherno/elektro/NW airfield from spawn and right into the PKers sights.

Try to think as a survivor instead of just playing this game like its a game..

The easiest way to not get shot by people who spawn and immediately begin shooting is to get off the coast.

The last time I was killed by a bandit was the beginning of May. The coast is the septic tank of Chernarus, and you need to consider it your goal to float to the northern most top of that tank. Anyone not good enough for the north is flushed back down into the bottom - it's the circle of life. Suggesting that people need to be punished in the name of balance because you're too stubborn to put one foot in front of the other and leave the coast is incredibly bizarre to me.

Also, being killed by a makarov is only slightly better than being killed by a crossbow. Both of those come under coughing yourself to death.

So please, leave the coast. In the words of Nike: Just Do It.

I agree with the above post.

I was showing a friend a map of Chernarus and explaining to her what sections of the map are most dangerous.

Makes perfect sense to me that the spray and pray gunners arent going to be messing with me up North for long. I pop them and send them back to the coast for a while.

Or to another server if they DC at the slightest sound.

I would love to see some server countdown like 30 secs, you can DC if you want but your char stays in the world... hate it when i see some one chased by zombies or about to die to a bandit dc and go straight to a new server, or wait 5 minutes and come right back...

I would love to see some server countdown like 30 secs' date=' you can DC if you want but your char stays in the world... hate it when i see some one chased by zombies or about to die to a bandit dc and go straight to a new server, or wait 5 minutes and come right back...

[/quote']

Agreed. I've thrown the 30sec DC idea out in suggestionthreads a few times.

If its not feasible I'd sure like to know.

None wants to punish them.. we only want some kind of "realism". We're not against the bandits' date=' we're against those kids that start to shot at everyone for no apparent reason from the first second in game, then die (for whatever reason) and do it again and again and again at every damn respawn, because they thinks this is CoD or Battlefield.

[/quote']

As mentioned thats "Your realism" Not mine or others... You sound like someone whos never truly seen the ugly truth about humanity and what its capable of....

Without Bandits this would be a much more dull game... Zs are not a challenge just a nuisence... you can always know what they are going to do/go/act... where as a Human you can not... if your getting outplayed and killed by these "Kids" as you say then your not much of a survivor are you?

Not that I disagree with the main topic but I'm tired of people saying that Zombies aren't the thing that adds tension to the game or any challenge, because they do. They do so equally as much as other players and are vital to the atmosphere. Honestly I think this would have very little tension if you were to take the Zed element out of the equation. All the game would be is another deathmatch fest, just with some loot. Lame.

This is as much Human vs. Zombie survival as it is Human vs. Human.

Not that I disagree with the main topic but I'm tired of people saying that Zombies aren't the thing that adds tension to the game or any challenge' date=' because they do. They do so equally as much as other players and are vital to the atmosphere. Honestly I think this would have very little tension if you were to take the Zed element out of the equation. All the game would be is another deathmatch fest, just with some loot. Lame.

[/quote']

In my first few hours of play, sure, the zombies were a bit nerve wracking, but now it's the same process if I aggro a zed:

1. *sneaking through town and alerts zeds*

2. Shit, get up get up get up!

3. *Runs a good distance from town with deadies in tow*

4. *Turns around and back peddles until zombie attacks, then shoots it in the head*

5. Repeat 4 until safe.

6. Continue looting

Until I can't out run them forever they will not be an issue, and thus add no tension to my gameplay experience.

After playing with so many backstabbers my new mentality is just kill anyone and everyone. Friendly, hostile, I don't care, you're a corpse.

Not that I disagree with the main topic but I'm tired of people saying that Zombies aren't the thing that adds tension to the game or any challenge' date=' because they do. They do so equally as much as other players and are vital to the atmosphere. Honestly I think this would have very little tension if you were to take the Zed element out of the equation. All the game would be is another deathmatch fest, just with some loot. Lame.

[/quote']

In my first few hours of play, sure, the zombies were a bit nerve wracking, but now it's the same process if I aggro a zed:

1. *sneaking through town and alerts zeds*

2. Shit, get up get up get up!

3. *Runs a good distance from town with deadies in tow*

4. *Turns around and back peddles until zombie attacks, then shoots it in the head*

5. Repeat 4 until safe.

6. Continue looting

Until I can't out run them forever they will not be an issue, and thus add no tension to my gameplay experience.

Yeah but that's something that will eventually get solved. Zombie's run faster than you in Day Z and if they didn't have the bottleneck that causes them to Zig-Zag and stop every time they attack they would be a hell of a threat. This is what I imagine down the line and I just think Zombie's shouldn't be counted out because of Alpha/Arma2 issues.

Who knows, maybe Rocket will add stamina at some point.

I think the better question is, why should PKers be heavily rewarded, while people who choose not to PK get nothing but a bullet in the back.

Come on boys stop complain about pvp......

pvp play a huge role in this mod no doubt about it.....

Try to imagine this mod without the pvp option!!!

What you gonna do?!

50 players happly searching and looting the map?!

That would be very boring after 1h, i'm sure we all agree on that one.

Yeah i know somebody got backstabbed others killed for food or just for the fun of it!!

But That's the thrilling part the human VS human....!!!

Personally i will kill every each one of you!!! :P

Yeah but that's something that will eventually get solved. Zombie's run faster than you in Day Z and if they didn't have the bottleneck that causes them to Zig-Zag and stop every time they attack they would be a hell of a threat. This is what I imagine down the line and I just think Zombie's shouldn't be counted out because of Alpha/Arma2 issues.

Who knows' date=' maybe Rocket will add stamina at some point.

[/quote']

Maybe at some point in the future they will be a threat, but for now they are not, which doesn't change the fact that they aren't adding any tension to the game.

I think the better question is' date=' why should PKers be heavily rewarded, while people who choose not to PK get nothing but a bullet in the back.

[/quote']

They aren't being heavily rewarded, they're getting the same treatment as everyone else.

They aren't being heavily rewarded' date=' they're getting the same treatment as everyone else.

[/quote']He didn't mean it literally, he meant the play style of a bandit itself and how the game forces you towards it.

If you just want to roam around and hunt zombies, cause no problems for others and just do you, that survivor play style is much harder and bodes less rewards.

It's extremely unbalanced in that aspect and I can't see it going any other direction unless you are put at some kind of disadvantage for killing players. Personally I don't like killing people in the game but I will do it simply because the game forces you to it.

The easiest way to not get shot by people who spawn and immediately begin shooting is to get off the coast.

The last time I was killed by a bandit was the beginning of May. The coast is the septic tank of Chernarus' date=' and you need to consider it your goal to float to the northern most top of that tank. Anyone not good enough for the north is flushed back down into the bottom - it's the circle of life. Suggesting that people need to be punished in the name of balance because you're too stubborn to put one foot in front of the other and leave the coast is incredibly bizarre to me.

Also, being killed by a makarov is only slightly better than being killed by a crossbow. Both of those come under coughing yourself to death.

So please, leave the coast. In the words of Nike: Just Do It.

[/quote']

i agree +1 for u my smart survivor, My group get what we need and get off the coast as soon as we can. everything is better inland imo

I agree that banditry should not be punished. It's a legitimate way to survive.

What should be punished is stupidity and griefing. Which means getting rid of the "spawn, try to kill someone with a Makarov, die, spawn, try to kill so with a Makarov, die, spawn, ..."-cycle.

Spawn equipment should be reduced and spawn timer should increase with an increasing number of recent death. That punishes stupid behavior of both survivors and bandits, but doesn't favor one over the other (which most other suggestions on the forum unfortunately do).

"A guy like me, ex-military, I wouldn't flinch at shooting someone to take his stuff if I needed it. That is my "realism" -- earlier post.

That kind of attitude maybe why you are 'ex'-military.

Bandits defiently need to be curved, at the very least identifiable. Or to make up that we dont have the movment freedom and ability to speak as in 'real life' dare i say it that the guns perhaps need to be even more inacurate. To make firing one at someone more of a risk, as i understand it even though it's using the ARMA game it's not

Soldiers Vs Zombies

He didn't mean it literally' date=' he meant the play style of a bandit itself and how the game forces you towards it.

If you just want to roam around and hunt zombies, cause no problems for others and just do you, that survivor play style is much harder and bodes less rewards.

It's extremely unbalanced in that aspect and I can't see it going any other direction unless you are put at some kind of disadvantage for killing players. Personally I don't like killing people in the game but I will do it simply because the game forces you to it.

[/quote']

It's hard to play without being a bandit? You must be playing a whole other game than me. Most of my most profitable characters came from playing solo survivor.

Either way. First rule of the game, if you've got good gear, expect to be shot. There's nothing unbalanced about it. If you're well geared, play carefully. If you get killed for your gear, 90% chance it's your own fault.

"A guy like me' date=' ex-military, I wouldn't flinch at shooting someone to take his stuff if I needed it. That is my "realism" -- earlier post.

That kind of attitude maybe why you are 'ex'-military.

Bandits defiently need to be curved, at the very least identifiable. Or to make up that we dont have the movment freedom and ability to speak as in 'real life' dare i say it that the guns perhaps need to be even more inacurate. To make firing one at someone more of a risk, as i understand it even though it's using the ARMA game it's not

Soldiers Vs Zombies

[/quote']

So basically we need to be punished for being one of the most dangerous and defining elements of the mod?

How about careless players who get themselves killed by bandits should rather be punished? 90% of my player kills come from people being totally careless.

A guy like me' date=' ex-military, I wouldn't flinch at shooting someone to take his stuff if I needed it. That is my "realism"

[/quote']

What army teaches their soldiers to act like triggerhappy braindeads :huh:

Seriously, that's utter bullshit. Even by gunpoint you could get all the stuff you'll need, no need for shooting on sight.

I highly doubt that you have ever served in any kind of army. Or, most probably, you just haven't learned the right lessons.

Bandits are necessary, however brainless respawn pkers aren't. Right now the coast is a cesspool just because after a respawn people realize they have nothing to lose, so they tend to act carelessly and senselessly. That's what needs to be fixed. Your gear determines how much survival means to you at the moment, so no good gear means nothing to live for. Obviously the solution to this is NOT to give good gear at respawn, it needs to be something else, something to make people just as careful when they spawn in as they would be if they had been alive for a week.