yourbrofino

I'm completely crushed about how this game runs on my computer, $30 completely wasted.

The game looks like complete trash on my computer...it's clunky and I can barely do anything. After watching and reading up on the game for over a week now I made my decision to buy it and boy was I wrong...I've been able to run any game I've ever come across perfectly fine and smoothly except this. What can I do to make the game run smooth? I tried messing with settings and I'm currently playing on Very low quality with low resolution which pretty much makes the game unplayable.

these are my specs:

Intel Core it-2500k @ 3.30GHz

Ram: 8GB

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1

Video Card: GeForce GTX 550Ti

1GB of Dedicated Video Ram

Edited by yourbrofino

Your setup should run it fine, I have two pcs here with less specs than that and they run fine. I would suggest searching this forum for 'arma2 optimisations' , as I have already posted a couple of threads on this already.

If you are still lost then respond and I will help you.

I'm...-trying- to understand why the game isn't working. Possibly your Processor, but that's all I can see. RAM looks good, so does your GPU.

Have you been able to play other games well? I should also mention that SOME servers just do not agree with the client and you'll have to try another one.

turn off all post processing, turn AA way down, turn 3d resolution to same as game resolution, turn down terrain detail, turn down object detail more so, set texture to very high and video memory to default

Edited by puppetworx

The game looks like complete trash on my computer...it's clunky and I can barely do anything. After watching and reading up on the game for over a week now I made my decision to buy it and boy was I wrong...I've been able to run any game I've ever come across perfectly fine and smoothly except this. What can I do to make the game run smooth? I tried messing with settings and I'm currently playing on Very low quality with low resolution which pretty much makes the game unplayable.

these are my specs:

pff...quality doesn't make the game unplayable, framerate does. i rather enjoy playing this game on my $40 graphics card. (very low ftw)

Stupid question, but have you tried multiple servers.

Some servers just don't mesh well with either my connection or my system and will run at ridiculously low frame rates (3 - 5). I switch servers and I am back to my 30 - 60 fps.

I have a crappier system than you and it works good.

Google Arma2 mouse lag fix.. never mind, here you go

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2782938

FPS lag fix:

Step 1: Go into your "My Documents" folder.

Step 2: Open "ArmA 2" folder.

Step 3: Look for the following lines in ArmA2.cfg, ArmA2OA.cfg, and any other ArmA versions you have.

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

Step 4: Change them to:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Profit. This should dramatically help your FPS lag. Now for the mouse lag.

Mouse lag fix:

Step 1: Open ArmA 2.

Step 2: Open your control settings for whatever profile you use.

Step 3: Drag mouse smoothing to zero.

these are my specs:

it's recommended to not have everything set to low i think as it puts all the load on the processor. i've been looking up optimization stuff today, so here, have some links i bookmarked regarding performance tweaks, hopefully they help:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/40357-does-your-dayz-or-arma2-run-slow-easy-solution-inside/

http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/arma-2-ultimate-tweak-thread

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=54150#54150

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?101124-Operation-Arrowhead-performance-optimizations-comparisons

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?73947-ArmaHolic-ArmA-2-Optimization

http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-wargames/166804-arma-2-optimised-graphic-settings.html

The optimization for this game is rather clunky and people with extremely expensive computers seem to even struggle. You should, however, be fine with some tweaking. Like the people above mentioned, play with the settings - ensure your 3D resolution is the same as your other resolution. Set everything to disabled or minimum and then you could adjust your settings higher one by one until you find whatever is draining all your frame-rate. I play comfortably with a i5-3570k and a HD 7870 on very high/high with some settings lowered or disabled by preference.

thanks for all the replies everyone, will be trying out a few of the things some people here mentioned, and yes I have tried different servers (about 5-6 different ones) and they all give me low FPS/back graphics.

thanks for all the replies everyone, will be trying out a few of the things some people here mentioned, and yes I have tried different servers (about 5-6 different ones) and they all give me low FPS/back graphics.

is it just dayz or is it also operation arrowhead? there's a couple scenarios in single player that run fps tests for you and give you an average fps. you may want to try running those too to help you troubleshoot.

Damn. Well, do what I did when I hit my first lag. All I did was change the AOTC to "Arrowhead trees + grass". Bam, instant gratification.

Simply turning off anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering can do wonders.

try to make it more important on task manger

Funny thing about that, you can't actually do it. Or least I get an error every time I try to change the priority.

And @OP, You can surely run it: I run this game quite amazingly on a laptop with an intel integrated chipset.

What kind of harddrive do you have? That can greatly have an influence on your FPS in this game.

time to learn some optimisation

the game is running almost perfectly on my intel dual core e8400 / 4gig ram / radeon hd 4800 512mo/

if i had your specs i would be king of the hill and happy.

(with my 4years old computer im running at 25fps cities to 40/60fps forest.)

if you computer can't do this , then learn how to optimize it

(good drivers,right settings, checking if you suffer from bottlenecking, checking your dpc latency,)

took me a month to learn all of this but now the game run ok on an impossible spec at first sight x)

Edited by Shuggoth

I have a 4 year old computer And I can run this game on very high settings with 40+ framerate.

Specs

Intel Xenon Quad core 2.4ghz

ATI Radeon 4850 512 meg video card

4 gigs of DDR2 RAM

320 Gig hard drive (HDD do matter in this game.)

turn off all post processing, turn AA way down, turn 3d resolution to same as game resolution, turn down terrain detail, turn down object detail more so, set texture to very high and video memory to default

^^This is the right fix to optimize your graphics

What kind of harddrive do you have? That can greatly have an influence on your FPS in this game.

500GB of harddrive

500GB of harddrive

and it spins at what @ 5600rpm, 7200rpm? thats more important than size when it comes to gameplay quality

Edited by Acix