Xianyu

Why this mod is failing

True it totally sucks when superman kills you, flying hacker that can see through walls and bullets bounce off his chest. Although if I was not killed by a hacker I probably would not have respawned near the balota airfield and just happen to find a tent with an FN FAL night vision rifle! More people = more gear now. I love people who stockpile valuables in tents!

True it totally sucks when superman kills you, flying hacker that can see through walls and bullets bounce off his chest. Although if I was not killed by a hacker I probably would not have respawned near the balota airfield and just happen to find a tent with an FN FAL night vision rifle! More people = more gear now. I love people who stockpile valuables in tents!

I recognise your portrait from Eve forums. I wana say tippa or something :P

Edited by Izziee

I just thought of this too, sorry for the double post, but at the point where you are killing newbies or freshly spawned players, you're not even a "bandit" anymore. I think this game needs a 3rd class. Because the concept of banditry is for surivival. You're not scavenging for supplies, you're taking them from other people. What you're actually being is an armed sociopath, murdering for the fun and thrill of it. Bandit is too honorable of a title for that.

i dont get killed by bandits... but when i do.....

so pretty much yeah you do get killed by bandits... a lot and thats why your crying

I just thought of this too, sorry for the double post, but at the point where you are killing newbies or freshly spawned players, you're not even a "bandit" anymore. I think this game needs a 3rd class. Because the concept of banditry is for surivival. You're not scavenging for supplies, you're taking them from other people. What you're actually being is an armed sociopath, murdering for the fun and thrill of it. Bandit is too honorable of a title for that.

Its called a psycopath, I would personally love to see a system designate you as a psycho if you don't loot the person you kill just to see how many psycho's in comparison to bandits there are.

My friend and I did a bit of a bandit thing today, we didn't kill the guy just held him up at gunpoint and demanded he give us his beans and then left. we knew there was beans in the barn for him and just did it to see what would happen so it was more an experiment then anything.

Edited by neo2157

The rewards for killing other players is glaringly obvious. There is absolutly none for carebearing. To counter this youd need to add something to motivate cooperative play whether it be a "friendly" npc camp that killed bandits on site, or some other dynamic that is less likely to leave you with a bullet in the back of the head after helping others... maybe Make a bandit trading post and a carebear trading post and Let the two fight it out. IMO The end game needs work, The games about survival right? There should be motivation for surviving past day 0, and bandit/carebear play should factor in to that. Until their is an actual end game asides from surviving the nw airfield, ganking other players is the end game.

The rewards for killing other players is glaringly obvious. There is absolutly none for carebearing. To counter this youd need to add something to motivate cooperative play whether it be a "friendly" npc camp that killed bandits on site, or some other dynamic that is less likely to leave you with a bullet in the back of the head after helping others... maybe Make a bandit trading post and a carebear trading post and Let the two fight it out. IMO The end game needs work, The games about survival right? There should be motivation for surviving past day 0, and bandit/carebear play should factor in to that. Until their is an actual end game asides from surviving the nw airfield, ganking other players is the end game.

no rewards for carebearing? you might make a friend that persists in your life outside of your relatively brief time in game. in game you might have someone to play with who will now watch your back, increase your storage capacity and be able to administer transfusions when you're low increasing your chances of survival. how about a feeling of satisfaction that instead of doing something that immediately and selfishly benefited you temporarily in an imaginary world and potentially ruined someone's experience in reality, you chose to enhance another person's experience in the game and maybe had a positive impact on their experience due to your altruism. people really need to stop looking for hard coded rewards for any sort of behavior, and instead start looking to themselves for answers to their perceived problems in game.

The rewards for killing other players is glaringly obvious. There is absolutly none for carebearing. To counter this youd need to add something to motivate cooperative play

You mean kind of like the many, many, many incentives for cooperative play that already naturally exist in the game because of its nature as a cooperative tactical combat simulator?

Oh, no. I see. NPC guards? :rolleyes:

Next stop: vendor, auction house, and boss zombies that drop purpz.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

QQ more. Crymore. Carebear. It's an alpha. Sneak. Harden up. tl;dr

Okay, now we got that out of the way, if you intended on posting any of those, a combination thereof, or something similiar, get the fuck out. Intelligent conversation only, and not your brownnosing bullshit.

This game is failing because bandits.

That's it. It's that simple.

But this stems from design problems, I guess. And basic human (read: fucktard) nature.

I don't have anything better to do, so I'm going to kill you.

So, you just snuck through the fringe towns. You got some sweet hardware from the deer stands or wherever it is you get your weapons. You have a sniper rifle, and an assault rifle in your backpack. You have matches, a hatchet, food, water, heat packs, morphine. You're all set. You have everything you'll ever need.

Now what?

You know what? nothing. There's not a single fucking thing to do once you get this gear. You can sneak past MORE zombies. Or you can shoot them. You can roam the wilderness looking for crashed helicopters and NVG's. You can search for better weapons. but what do you do when you get these weapons?

You go back to the coast and shoot the guys who just got the game. There's just nothing else to do. I personally, have never stooped to this level. I've killed a total of maybe four other players. And never have I laid in wait to shoot them. But this isn't about me. This is about every single other cunt that plays this game. You have nothing better to do once you get this gear, other than shoot PEOPLE with it. A .50 sniper rifle is not designed for use on zombies. Don't even try to pretend it is. It's used specifically for killing players.

Now, let's look at it from the other side. Say you're a person who genuinely wants to help, like, say, me. I like to help people who are in a spot of bother in this game. I was running cherno/elektro server hopping at one point taking down the barbed wire that server hoppers had been putting up to fence off pretty much every single bit of real estate in the cities.

But I don't interact with other players. Why? You're all bastards. Sure, maybe one in five or so won't shoot me on sight. The other four? I'm dead. I'm not restarting and losing all my shit because you decided to be an asshole.

This is the mentality that has ruined this mod, on BOTH SIDES. "It's just a game, let's be COMPLETE, UTTER ASSHOLES! :D " Don't even fucking pretend to me that that isn't what 90% of you bandits feel, deep down. It's just a game. None of it matters.

Well you know what? It's not a fun game.

It's not a fun game when no one will help you. It's just a long, hard slog through brutal mutated zombies with the running strength of an olympic athlete pumped full of speed and on a sugar rush, looking for loot with no 'end game' in sight. Your entire gaming existence comes down to surviving. That's what this mod should be. But there are people out there who don't WANT to survive. They just want to deathmatch. You've seen them. Fuck, a lot of you have BEEN THAT PERSON. Sitting on the sidelines of the NWAF with a sniper rifle waiting for some hapless 'noob' to wander into your sights. Camping in Cherno looking to shoot noobs.

'It's just a game'.

New players either convert to being a bandit, or stop playing. Or they group up with friends that they have to meet OUTSIDE the game, because ALL of you are two faced, backstabbing pricks, and then that's their clique. They don't step outside that zone.

The only interaction between player groups in this game is the whoosh of bullets flying past their goddamn faces. This is half the fault of the game design, and half the fault of YOU, the player.

Every time you camp in Cherno killing noobs, every time you snipe some guy who's arrived at NWAF for the first time. Every time you betray and backstab just for the sheer glee you get in your heart for being an anonymous cunt over the internet. This is what is destroying the game.

And don't even try to pretend it's not. Or next time you see someone who's actually armed, walk up to them and say 'friendly'. Go on. I'll wait.

Eventually, the supply of fresh-faced, naive recruits WILL diminish, at which point you'll all have what you want. You'll have a deathmatch in Cherno. You'll have a deathmatch at the NWAF. You'll have a deathmatch called Chernarus. Because that's the direction this community is DRIVING this game.

New players are forced away by the constant banditry, or convert to the banditry way of playing the game. I know I have. If I see a player, I don't help them. I hide. And if they see me, I shoot.

I was a fresh faced recruit once, hoping to actually play a survival game where survivors were pitted against bandits, and zombies fucked up everyone. But now, everyone is a bandit, and no one can be trusted. Ever.

This isn't a survival simulator any more. It's a bandit simulator.

And guess what?

The bandits are winning.

And to the people who will say 'hey, I'm not a bandit! I help people!' Yeah. Welcome to the 1% buddy. Congratulations.

For the blatently retarded. I don't get killed by bandits. I actually have no problem with bandits. I have no problem killing them, or avoiding them. I can kit myself up to full capacity without meeting a single other player. Woopity FUCKING do. What I don't like banditry or the bandits way of gaming, is what it's done to the game. No one tries to help others, and avoids all contacts with others, because 4 out of every 5 people play the game as a bandit and will kill you. If not for your loot, then just to be a cunt.

To the blatently retarded, obviously blind: I have NEVER BEEN SNIPED. I don't get killed by bandits! When I do, I suck it up and start over! Can I not make this more clear? This is not a complaint of 'bandits killed me waaah' it's a case of 'Bandit mentality killed what could have been an awesome game, waaaaah!'

This mod isn't failing, so your post and all that follow it are pointless.

Guest cRy

I read the first part, gave you beans.

Then, I decided to read more... took them away promotly.

People like you and hackers are gonna be the death of this game.

Go play, Hello Kitty Adventure.

Already, the game is shown in the media (IE, youtube) as being more about 'SICK FUCKING GUNFIGHTS AND HELICOPTER RAIDS!!!!111!!!1!11!!!' than it is about carefully trying to navigate post apocalyptia. The people joining the game to shoot at other people are getting EXACTLY what they want. They get to shoot other players.

The people joining who are joining to play a zombie survival? They get to play Bandit-shot-and-respawn with a tiny side dish of zombie survival in between these bandit deaths. The new players that DO stick around quickly learn to shoot first, and never trust ANYONE. EVER.

Give that guy a blood transfusion? Fuck. No. Why? because once you're done, he has absolutely no need for you and will probably just shoot you to be a cunt.

And why does this happen? Because everyone is a bandit. It's the communities fault, and the fault of the game design. You know what? This is a fucking alpha. We're playtesters.

And I'm saying right now that this ALPHA doesn't fucking work as intended. Don't give me some BS about 'Oh but Rocket doesn't want to CONSTRAIN people!' Well guess what? He has.

By limiting mid-game content to finding loot and 'surviving' IE, sitting in a fucking corner to see who gets the HIGH SCORE!!!!11!!11!!! He has forced these ALMOST A MILLION players to make choices. The casual gamer says 'fuck it, it's more fun to shoot at people and be a cunt than to sit in the fucking corner and wait.'

This is a problem of both community and of game design.

But you know what? Rocket is trying to change the game.

Why the fuck aren't you?

Wow.. totally raging there, but I feel ya.

I do agree that the community is to blame for the banditry, but disagree that it is the game design, or that it should be fixed through game design.

IMO The freedom to choose makes this game... Yeah the guy you just gave a blood transfusion to could just turn around and shoot you just to be a cunt... again, imo that's what makes this game.

Yes its hard to figure things out in the beginning, and yes n00bs will stick around longer if they get some help when they first start. But I dont think we need to over engineer the game. I didn't design the game, and I don't know rocket personally, and I don't intend on speaking for others... but isnt this games focal point, or mission, purpose or what ever you call it.. isnt it about realism? Isnt this game intended on being as authentic as possible? If the answer to that question is yes... then I think this discussion is really about issues with human nature and not the game.

In life it is easier to be the bad guy.. it is easier to cheat, lie, and steal. We have laws and ethics to discourage this behavior but what if we didnt? Well we would end up with a wild west, trust no one kind of world, likely resembling player behavior in dayz. Good people are good because they choose to be, they choose to do things the difficult way because they value their morals and ethics more than they value an easy life... This is where hero's come from... they are the guys that stand up for their beliefs regardless of the danger to them.

And so I will end my rant by saying; DayZ needZ a hero... lol!

• Like 1

I didnt read it either. Your rules basically state if your not gonna agree with me and give me beans do not post. Thats bullshit.....

The only thing failing right now is you. I hope it was me that killed you and made you nerd rage enough to post this garbage.

• Like 1

OP I agree, but even if we helped each other, then what? Basically, "Alpha", lol. I'm still hopeful other announced, but yet to be implemented, new features changes things enough to make cooperation useful beyond just PVP.

The solution to this would be to not track player kills at all, no stats, no heartbeat, no cool bandit costume. The second issue is the lack of things to do as a well equipped player.

This.

The problem is once survival and loot-acquiring are no longer a challenge and when you don't need to establish more camps or find more vehicles, there is really not much else to do besides kill people, and that's just not realistic for a game that considers itself a simulator of a post-apocalyptic world.

There would be bandits yes, but not hoards of people saying "let's go murder folks for the hell of it" not out of self-defense, not to take their stuff, just for fun. A zombie apocalypse might make people turn into bandits to survive, but not serial killers.

People don't like to think of this as a game, but you know what? It's still being played by gamers. And gamers seek entertainment, first and foremost. So they are going to seek the most fun options. Right now, for a game that prides itself on freedom and choice, there is only one choice once you reach that point in the game: find and kill people or just sit around with all the gear/food/vehicles you've collected in your camp and wait for something interesting to happen. Which one do you think people consider the most fun? Many see that ahead of time and just go straight to the killing, bringing their BF3/CoD mentality and are treating it as just another shooter.

Just to reiterate (because people will no doubt say it anyway), I don't have a problem with getting killed. It's only happened a few times, and it was never a big deal to me. I just want the game to be all it can be, and not just another shooter. I can go play BF3 for that.

There is hope though, the game has lots of potential (which is why we're all here), and future updates will hopefully bring more features to flesh out the game, and bring this closer to the post-apocalyptic world simulator that we all want (bandits and survivors alike).

Edited by Jahandar
  • Like 3

I'd wonder what the objections would be if everybody was friendly.

Then you could have a go at the game not being hard enough and it being all vs the zombies.

This game is a great piece of gamehistory.

The factions are shaping itself.

Just start looking at groups to likes of TWM and CQF.

People just rise up to a challenge, some had enough of being spawnkilled, well they act ingame.

Making forum threads about the socalled bad shape of game design or whatever you want to blame isn't changing anything ingame.

It is just a vent for you to release some frustration build over time, because you are to scared perhaps to act and try yourself to make a difference on your server.

Everything starts with yourself, don't expect others to do everything for you.

Edited by Insaner
  • Like 1

@insaner I think you'd find that very few on these forums wants everyone to be friendly. What most of the "carebears" want, is the thrill of not knowing if someone is friendly. Actully being able to help/ be helped by strangers. Have some sort of interaction with others without it resulting in death. As it is now with the KoS, everyone knows that being friendly will get you killed. Metagaming shouldn't be the only way to solve the KoS.

This is atleast how I see it anyways, and judging by the threats I've read, I'm not the only one.

@FrankDaTank I've been thinking that too, but in one of the youtube interviews, Rocket shows/tells they are planing to make it possible for people to uploade their stats on a website. Unfortunately...

Edited by CLewis
  • Like 1

This.

The problem is once survival and loot-acquiring are no longer a challenge and when you don't need to establish more camps or find more vehicles, there is really not much else to do besides kill people, and that's just not realistic for a game that considers itself a simulator of a post-apocalyptic world.

There would be bandits yes, but not hoards of people saying "let's go murder folks for the hell of it" not out of self-defense, not to take their stuff, just for fun. A zombie apocalypse might make people turn into bandits to survive, but not serial killers.

People don't like to think of this as a game, but you know what? It's still being played by gamers. And gamers seek entertainment, first and foremost. So they are going to seek the most fun options. Right now, for a game that prides itself on freedom and choice, there is only one choice once you reach that point in the game: find and kill people or just sit around with all the gear/food/vehicles you've collected in your camp and wait for something interesting to happen. Which one do you think people consider the most fun? Many see that ahead of time and just go straight to the killing, bringing their BF3/CoD mentality and are treating it as just another shooter.

Just to reiterate (because people will no doubt say it anyway), I don't have a problem with getting killed. It's only happened a few times, and it was never a big deal to me. I just want the game to be all it can be, and not just another shooter. I can go play BF3 for that.

There is hope though, the game has lots of potential (which is why we're all here), and future updates will hopefully bring more features to flesh out the game, and bring this closer to the post-apocalyptic world simulator that we all want (bandits and survivors alike).

I gave you beans, but I still disagree some what.. You say that once you have survived long enough and become well enough equipped that there is nothing really left to do. And thats where I think your wrong. Dont misunderstand, I do see your point. But when you have reached this apex, sorry for reiterating, but the choice is yours to do what you want.

I said it before, but the easy choice is to cheat, lie, steal, kill... its much simpler, and a quick and easy way to entertain. But there are others who have made it their purpose to help others and to combat the bandits.. I personally think "choice" is the pitfall everyone seems to be mislabeling as bandits, or not having anything to do. When you get to this point, and you think to your self.. now what? The now what feeling is because you are not being guided any more.

We are all so used to being told what to do, where to go, taking instruction and having direction that when there is no instruction, we are lost. I imagine the thought process something like this... So, now what, im not being told what to do, i am free to go where I want and do what I want, and I want to be entertained so I will hunt people for kicks.

• Like 1

I gave you beans, but I still disagree some what.. You say that once you have survived long enough and become well enough equipped that there is nothing really left to do. And thats where I think your wrong. Dont misunderstand, I do see your point. But when you have reached this apex, sorry for reiterating, but the choice is yours to do what you want.

I said it before, but the easy choice is to cheat, lie, steal, kill... its much simpler, and a quick and easy way to entertain. But there are others who have made it their purpose to help others and to combat the bandits.. I personally think "choice" is the pitfall everyone seems to be mislabeling as bandits, or not having anything to do. When you get to this point, and you think to your self.. now what? The now what feeling is because you are not being guided any more.

We are all so used to being told what to do, where to go, taking instruction and having direction that when there is no instruction, we are lost. I imagine the thought process something like this... So, now what, im not being told what to do, i am free to go where I want and do what I want, and I want to be entertained so I will hunt people for kicks.

The most fun we've had in this game is taking people hostage and getting them to do random crazy shit that usually results in their deaths. Like getting people to jump off of school roofs under their own free will. At gunpoint.

Edited by Valec
  • Like 1

www.fishchan....34228328018.jpg

925,000 players and counting. so Fail

That means nothing when they are spread out over 1000's of servers and that 30% of those servers are locked while they hack them to their liking before opening them to public.

This mod will most definetly fail unless rocket pays a live team to police all the hacking over 1000's of servers world wide ( never happen) So it's DEAD JIM!

You are absolutely right, and I didn't intend to make an impression that I thought players needed to be handheld through objectives or anything like that. I just think there need to be more sandbox tools to allow players to create more goals for themselves that don't involve just killing.

This game is similar to Minecraft in a lot of ways. And like Minecraft has, there just needs to be a focus on continually adding game elements for people to interact with, without just telling people what they should do with them, to flesh out the sandbox element of the game.

That's long-term though, This is still alpha, so I'm not in a big hurry (and I'm still having a blast with what we do have), right now the focus should be on fixing bugs, but I don't see a problem with voicing these kinds of concerns because they are something that needs to be addressed eventually.

The end game is boring.

If you're an uncreative twat! My friends and I usually come up with stuff devious but fun enough to even keep our victims entertained.

Watch that video. Our dumb asses almost get our v3s stolen lol

i think too many people are missing the point of OP's post, and the point of everybody else who complains about the lack of survivor/bandit balance in the game.

first off, let me preface what i'm about to say with this: bandits are fucking awesome. this game wouldn't be near as great as it is if there were no bandits, or if player killing was turned off. now, with that said, the problem with the game is balance. or rather, the lack of balance. the first footage i ever saw of DayZ was this trailer:

http://www.youtube.c...ed/A7Q8c8jnL3s

after watching it, i remember thinking, "wow, how awesome is it that you can't trust everyone, that you can work with others but always have to watch your back!" i think that's one of the coolest aspects of DayZ: being able to work with or against other players, and using or misusing trust to get what you want. but where is that in DayZ now? right now, you can't trust anyone, because it's shoot when you see someone, or run away if they don't see you. even potentially friendly people have just become fed up and said fuck it, and either started to stay away completely from others or shoot on sight. but that's not how i (and many others) want the game to be. i WANT to interact with others, i want to help at times, and hell, maybe even betray people on occasion. i want to see more stories about people getting kidnapped in the game, or crazy shit like what Ceremor does in his youtube videos.

interaction, whether positive or negative, is one of the selling points of this game. and people who say, "if you don't like the bandits, then just be more stealthy and stay out of the big cities, stay away from everyone, etc," are really missing the point, because taking away that interaction lessons the game imo. yes, i know some people want to lone wolf it, and that's great, that's their choice. but it would be nice if some people could help others, or trade, or hell, just see somebody entering a house you're about to enter and not immediately think about putting a bullet in their head.

as i said, there's basically no balance in DayZ now. everything is skewed towards playing killing, whether solo or as a group, and just stashing a bunch of items in tents and respawning with a full arsenal. and the players who do want more than that have to seek out threads on forums and meet up, instead of just being able to do it in game because 99% of the people you try to interact with shoot on sight (even if they're a potential friendly).

hopefully in the future, DayZ will become more balanced to support all play styles, as well as more types of interaction. i think it will, but for now, it's too one-dimensional. i do applaud those select few groups trying to do something about it to change that, though.

Edited by jthamind
  • Like 2

Those of you saying this game needs incentive to be friendly are exactly right. I shoot everyone I see on sight for this exact reason. Games that track your statistics are all on some level about our egos and self improvement. The major stats that this game tracks are zombies killed, murders, and bandits killed. These are not "friendly" stats. If the game tracked friendlier things (or was even able to) then we'd probably see a lot more friendliness in DayZ. Sure it could track things like transfusions given, morphine administered etc. but there's no way of knowing that they weren't just giving transfusions to there bandit partners. The game can't tell you how many players someone has spared or how many groups that player has formed with other random players simply because that's not within the realm of possibility for this game's engine (correct me if I'm wrong.)

Until there is some incentive to play friendly DayZ will continue to be the harsh and unforgiving game that it is, and if you refuse to adapt and rather come here to complain you're just ruining the game for yourself. Nobody can ruin a game for you that is about adapting and surviving other than yourself (and hackers.) Even with incentives like this though, you can never truly trust anybody in this game.

If you can't beat 'em - Join 'em, don't post a thread crying about it.

what a dumbass

Those of you saying this game needs incentive to be friendly are exactly right. I shoot everyone I see on sight for this exact reason. Games that track your statistics are all on some level about our egos and self improvement. The major stats that this game tracks are zombies killed, murders, and bandits killed. These are not "friendly" stats. If the game tracked friendlier things (or was even able to) then we'd probably see a lot more friendliness in DayZ. Sure it could track things like transfusions given, morphine administered etc. but there's no way of knowing that they weren't just giving transfusions to there bandit partners. The game can't tell you how many players someone has spared or how many groups that player has formed with other random players simply because that's not within the realm of possibility for this game's engine (correct me if I'm wrong.)

Until there is some incentive to play friendly DayZ will continue to be the harsh and unforgiving game that it is, and if you refuse to adapt and rather come here to complain you're just ruining the game for yourself. Nobody can ruin a game for you that is about adapting and surviving other than yourself (and hackers.) Even with incentives like this though, you can never truly trust anybody in this game.

No, it doesn't. And you'll continue to not have fun to the game's fullest potential.

Tired of crybabies begging Rocket to take the sandbox out of the game and give them some sort of mechanic to force people to be nice to them. Don't say for a second that's not what you want. It is. It's not going to happen.

There's plenty of ways to have fun interacting with other players in this game. I'm sorry you're too shallow to see it, or too lazy to put in the effort to do it.

• Like 2