munchy

The PvP Discussion Thread

I just played for about 5-6 hours got a crap ton of precious loot and got shot in the dark by a bandit who then executed me while i lay on the floor and all i could thing was .... awesome.

The whole essence of fear when you see people that you don't know so you stay out of sight and pray they don't see you. Having the pvp factor adds so much to this mods experience that taking it away would be a terrible thing.

you always spawn on a different place

that's not the point, though. the point is there are too few spawn locations, and a single person can just sit across one such location and kill every player that pops in.

you always spawn on a different place, so if you get killed by such an idiot, there´s a great chance to spawn next time far away from that one.

There are only a dozen or so spawn points. I'm not talking about a player being camped by a single other player. I'm talking about players who just hang out at the spawn points and kill whoever might spawn. They aren't doing it for gear, they aren't doing it for survival... they are doing it to grief newbies, and because they know the people spawning there have nothing but the worst pistol in the game to defend themselves.

if friendly fire aren't on and bandits doesn't exist... this will just another shitty zombie survival mod that nobody cared about :idea:

People are scumbags.

I ask them politely if they can share their can of baked beans because I've been scavenging a town and finding nothing. Guy just ignores me, maybe even smirks knowing that he's got enough food to last another week in the wilderness.

He walks off knowing HE can survive, and is too self-centered to think about other people.

I shoot him in the back, and inherit his can of beans. I tossed out the can of sardines though, it smelled funny I think it was a little off.

I think giving people persistent backpacks that you can drop whereever and most of the whining will stop.

A back up Pack that only you know the location of will take the sting out of dying if you can head back to it and rearm. If someone else finds it then, well that's your problem for not hiding it well enough.

The very reason I decided to get this game was for the player hunting and looting gear. If you just want to shoot zombies, there's better games for that. Fighting zombies is currently horrible in this mod due to their laggy movement, but even if it's fixed, there won't be much satisfaction to be had from just having to worry about AI zombies.

What makes this mod so great is its athmosphere. It almost feels as if you are there. You have a huge world to traverse with items to be found and you are not restricted by the game mechanics or admins to kill other players, whether it's for the loot, to keep them at a distance for your own safety or simply for the fun of it.

I understand that it's frustrating to get killed, but honestly, what would be the point if everyone stayed alive because of gameplay mechanics, and eventually got the latest gear only to be able to use it against zombies and wildlife? What keeps me motivated to find new gear is to use it against the real threat — namely other survivors and bandits, controlled by real humans.

However, I do think that teamplay should be promoted. This can of course not be done entirely through the game mechanics, but I'm sure that steps can be taken to encourage teamwork. It would be more fun and challenging — for survivors and bandits alike — if players would be more likely to move in groups.

That's my two cents. Great work on the mod, Rocket :)! It's a relief to see that you don't want to turn this masterpiece into a watered down MMORPG that's all about grinding.

What makes this mod so great is its athmosphere. It almost feels as if you are there. You have a huge world to traverse with items to be found and you are not restricted by the game mechanics or admins to kill other players' date=' whether it's for the loot, to keep them at a distance for your own safety or simply for the fun of it.

I understand that it's frustrating to get killed, but honestly, what would be the point if everyone stayed alive because of gameplay mechanics, and eventually got the latest gear only to be able to use it against zombies and wildlife? What keeps me motivated to find new gear is to use it against the real threat — namely other survivors and bandits, controlled by real humans.

[/quote']

Are you one of those guys who´s camping for Killing people for your own selfish feeling and for fun?

If it is so, go back from where you come from, those kiddi Games like Battlefield, CoD, Counterstrike or what not....we don´t need those retarded persons.

ArmA was always and always will be a serious game. The DayZ Mod wont change that.

If you kill someone within a battel, even if you met someone and you cant estimate him, then it is OK. But killing for fun and ruin a players progress by sniping him from the hidden place is pure coward acting.

I hope that you dont do that!!

Hello, please what's the difference between bandit and survivor ?

Except for "humanity" and the skins, because a lot of people want to be bandit it's better for survive..

I'm really getting tired of PvP. If there were servers that explicitly forbid PKing, I'd play on those, but as it is, I refuse to even play this mod solo, because there's inevitably going to be some stupid kid that gets a kick out of shooting an unaware person in the back of the head to steal their starting gear. It's funny that nobody points out what that says about the psyche of the person doing it. If your immediate reaction to being placed in a free-roam environment where you have no real-world consequences is to just start killing everyone you see, to take their stuff, you're not a human. You're a psychopath, and should seek some professional help.

Are you one of those guys who´s camping for Killing people for your own selfish feeling and for fun?

It is not so much the killing itself that's the fun part' date=' although it's certainly nice. The enjoyable part is to kill someone and then look what interesting things he has in his backpack. It's also to a smaller degree to keep myself safe; since I'm a bandit, I just assume that I will get shot on sight by an unknown survivor.

ArmA was always and always will be a serious game. The DayZ Mod wont change that.

In what way is my playing style not serious?

If you kill someone within a battel' date=' even if you met someone and you cant estimate him, then it is OK. But killing for fun and ruin a players progress by sniping him from the hidden place is pure coward acting.

I hope that you dont do that!![/quote']

I sniped a team of three Russians and two other survivors at the Elektro powerplant the other day. That was some great fun and useful target practice to familiarize myself with the sniper rifle :D. If it makes you feel any better, I managed to scavenge some useful supplies from their bodies ;).

I always played "good" characters in every game i've ever played..but here..not so much. And that has nothing to do with being a sociopath or anything.

It's fun to follow an unaware person for 20 mins until you have the perfect spot and time to put a bullet in his head.

I really can't understand people, who are constantly whining about Bandits. If you don't want to get killed by a Bandit just don't go to chergo or electro..it's as simple as that. The first hours I've been playing i was just roaming around the country with a friend a we never once came across a bandit.

pvp is pretty annoying you play for hours trying to get good gear only for some assnut pvpaddict to kill you for your stuff. They should be able to toggle PVP or have PVP zones in the maps or at least seperate servers for PVP and PVE. like set the army bases to pvp or something like that. Its a good idea that way everyone gets the best of both worlds or have safe zones

The problem is the game would get TO easy without pvp, deal with it, next.

Why? If you have a hunting knife and some bottles you can life infinetly in the mountains. Just hunt animals in the north (which is far away from any town and therefore far away from every zombie) and just cook them so you can eat and drink without EVER seeing zeds. And since, with your STUPID idea, noone can kill you either so it will be VERY BORING!

Oh and for everyone against pvp I will kill another p ;)

Just finished today's session after a lot of waiting due to problems with the master server. Me and one of my teammates managed to secure a hunting rifle and kill another bandit for his Winchester. Looking forward to start hunting some survivors tomorrow after work :).

I'm really getting tired of PvP. If there were servers that explicitly forbid PKing' date=' I'd play on those, but as it is, I refuse to even play this mod solo, because there's inevitably going to be some stupid kid that gets a kick out of shooting an unaware person in the back of the head to steal their starting gear. It's funny that nobody points out what that says about the psyche of the person doing it. If your immediate reaction to being placed in a free-roam environment where you have no real-world consequences is to just start killing everyone you see, to take their stuff, you're not a human. You're a psychopath, and should seek some professional help.

[/quote']

I agree with you.

I'm not entirely against PVP but its just to annoying, with PVP the way it is now I don't see any difference between this and modern warfare with zombies thrown in.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents

I love PvP in this game, and I sincerely hope they won't cater to carebears. PvP is what makes Day Z exciting and unique, without it it would quickly become just another zombie mod. That being said, the bandit system needs some tweaking, there's no denying that. It should at the very least become easier to lose your bandit status, since it's very easy to become a bandit just by acting in self-defence.

Ideally, only true PKers should receive the bandit skin, while still maintaining the ability to lose it easily if they ever decided to try a different playstyle. Currently, once you go - humanity, it's impossible to ever regain any unless you are content with just letting people kill you at sight. (Basically, humanity only spirals down once you hit bandit)

Anyway, it's an alpha and I'm sure the system is all but final so I'm not too worried, the humanity system is a good beginning, and with more zombies the emphasis on PvE and the risk of PvP is further increased (while still remaining an important aspect of the game). As long as they avoid artificial 'safe zones' and PvE enforcement elements, I'm happy.

I'm really getting tired of PvP. If there were servers that explicitly forbid PKing' date=' I'd play on those, but as it is, I refuse to even play this mod solo, because there's inevitably going to be some stupid kid that gets a kick out of shooting an unaware person in the back of the head to steal their starting gear. It's funny that nobody points out what that says about the psyche of the person doing it. If your immediate reaction to being placed in a free-roam environment where you have no real-world consequences is to just start killing everyone you see, to take their stuff, you're not a human. You're a psychopath, and should seek some professional help.

[/quote']

I agree with you.

I'm not entirely against PVP but its just to annoying, with PVP the way it is now I don't see any difference between this and modern warfare with zombies thrown in.

This. So much. Maybe if the devs saw the way those in favor of hardcore PvP treat the subject (With an elitist attitude that makes them seem like major jerks even outside of the game) they'd think a bit differently about how to tackle the issue. There's obviously a divide in the community, and going fully in one way or the other will only drive away a big group of people. I know server capacity is the biggest issue right now for the dev, but christ, some of the guys talking about how they love pvp, and will "kill another p" for anyone that is against pvp, it makes me sick.

[/quote']

I agree with you.

This. So much. Maybe if the devs saw the way those in favor of hardcore PvP treat the subject (With an elitist attitude that makes them seem like major jerks even outside of the game) they'd think a bit differently about how to tackle the issue. There's obviously a divide in the community, and going fully in one way or the other will only drive away a big group of people. I know server capacity is the biggest issue right now for the dev, but christ, some of the guys talking about how they love pvp, and will "kill another p" for anyone that is against pvp, it makes me sick.

This game may not be for you. Rocket has said the game is unforgiving, violent, and PvP-centric. At least you guys have balanced the 'elitists' you're speaking of.

TKJ

This isn't a game. It's a mod. As for being pvp-centric, maybe Rocket should take a look at the demographic of players, and see that there are quite a few people that would rather /not/ have to constantly watch out for someone with a bandit skin. If that gets removed, then the game will really become pvp-centric, because nobody will trust anyone else, and there will be no consequences for just shooting on sight. If that's the kind of zombie mod Rocket wants to make, then yeah, this isn't for me at all.

If that's the kind of zombie mod Rocket wants to make' date=' then yeah, this isn't for me at all.[/quote']

We'll all miss you here. I'm pretty sure that's exactly the game he's going after. As for the demographic, I'd be happy to see him do just that. I'm sure the 'safe' players are in the minority, and the majority of the playerbase are interested in something different than they've seen before, again and again.

TKJ

Was that sarcasm really warranted?

It's not sarcasm. Honestly' date=' I got a bunch of people hooked on EvE Online, and they shared similar sentiments to you. They ended up exploiting the gameplay mechanics to their liking, enjoying the game for what it was - as open as possible - and had some of the most fun times.

Everybody has the ability to be 'the bad guy', and they should, at least once. It's very liberating.

I don't think it was that hurtful. :p

I might just have very thick skin.

TKJ

I can understand how some people would enjoy being the bandit just to see how they'd fair on the evil side, but as it is bandits as a group have more opportunities to advance themselves then the survivors do, almost to the point that being a survivor (and essentially a good guy) is a major draw back.

After all, anyone that wants to "stay" as a survivor, has to constantly check their fire, and can't fight off any other survivors that decide to attack them.

People that say "Well you can do whatever a bandit can" are dead wrong, the only way you can get away with killing other players as a survivor, is to kill a bandit that will more then likely have better gear then you at any time, or become a bandit, by killing other survivors, and perpetuating the problem. If a survivor wants to kill another survivor without changing to a bandit, he has to have extremely high humanity... one of the best ways to get that is by administering transfusions... which requires you to rely on... the kindness of others...

Which will usually end in you getting shot in the face when you've completed the transfusion.