newb (DayZ)

Do you believe in being trusting of other players?

A little preface:

I just started playing recently (maybe a week ago) and am quickly learning the ropes. Numerous times I have been killed on sight while having been unarmed, both in towns scavenging and in the countryside traveling. This hasn't deterred me though, and even if I'm armed and they aren't, I'll give a radio call saying friendly.

Just today from a fresh spawn, I found a crossbow, pistol, standard stuff. I make my way to Electro in search of a better backpack when suddenly I see a hatchet wielding player running down the street. He had an Alice pack, though I had no idea of the other gear. Instead of just killing him outright like most would, we ended up having a nice little exchange of intel about the area and some dude who was sniping everyone from a certain building.

After that we both headed on our separate ways.

--Cool story, Bro--

Anyhow, do any other players actually trust anyone in this game and not kill them for what they have? I see posts on the forums about wanting more comradery, so I thought I'd share my 2 cents to show that there are benefits to it.

• Like 4

I'm always the one who gets shot first. :)

But I, too, have received benefits from not shooting first. I had one long team up with a random survivor who had spotted my in the military camp outside Balota. We had quite the time raid cherno together.

Last night I got hunted by a couple guys who, at the end, gave me a silenced rifle and sent me on my way. Talk about a friendly experience, right?

I trust players. Sometimes blindly, sometimes cautiously. I go with my gut a lot. I sincerely look for the good in people. Don't for one minute think I'm stupidly naiive though--that will get you a bullet between your eyes.

Edited by Baelethal

Nope. Kill on sight.

Players cause problems and problems are fixed by a 7.62 round to the skull.

And if everyone has this attitude it makes the game a deathmatch.Albiet a boring one.

I would be willing to trust people, but the direct chat is too short range right now so I don't bother. Right now if I spot you at a distance I'll hide in a bush and watch you until I see where you are going and then readjust my route accordingly. If you startle me at close range I will open fire, if you say duck behind cover when you see I've spotted you and we're close enough I might try and arrange that we both walk away alive but virtually nobody answers so you'd have to be quick to respond. If I hear gunfire I always run away from it or scout it from a safe distance to see what is going on then move away from the area. If I get into a situation where we've both spotted each other but are too far too engage I'll tend to run away but then camp a bush to see if you're following me and if you do shoot you asap. I figure this as about as friendly you can be in DayZ right now, and its a lonely existence being a surivor unless you can find other people with similar attitudes. I don't want to KoS but I will at close range because I can't risk losing my alice bag map compass morphine etc to you.

I think if this game had better communciation I'd be willing to build trust with people. Sit 1km apart and have a chat, do some rudimentary trust exercises like trading by dropping items at the mid point and stuff. I think this would make the game a lot more fun. You could build trust with people then shoot them in the back of the head, get betrayed and stuff it would be a lot more engaging.

Edited by Huntra

I am absolutely trusting of someone who is actively communicating and showing no signs of hostility. Now I guess trusting may be kind of strong, but I am willing to not Shoot on Sight.

People who shoot on sight always use the excuse that they can't trust them, that's where the mentality comes from. 'They' are the reason they can't trust anyone. And it spreads too.

Doesn't matter how you justify shooting on sight without aggression or need for survival. It's still murder and it's still despicable!

For me, no loot in this game or any other is as valuable as making a true friend in a game such as this, how people can pass up this opportunity I don't know. Why not just play one of the many other single player zombie games?

Boggles me indeed.

• Like 2

Nope. Kill on sight.

Players cause problems and problems are fixed by a 7.62 round to the skull.

thats right keep spreading the disease..

/sigh...

The first day we played started very friendly. Until we realized the gravity of this game, the random shinanigans of hackers and that you can't simply trust anyone we immidaitely went from "Oh, hai der" to shoot first, ask questions later. It seems to be a smart move.

When I start on a fresh character I'm willing to trust more people but as I gradually start finding loot I'm more cautious. If I see someone running without a weapon I'm more willing to pass them by but if I see them with a gun or a hatchet well they are dead.

so far most people ive meet have been friendly, and ive only been shot at 3 times.. Guess im just a luckier person the others :/

I've been saying this for the last few days.... It's all about what you want out of the game. If you don't care about starting over if someone shoots you on site, it becomes a lot easier to try to make contact with people. If you care about your gear, you're going to be less likely to communicate and more likely to KOS.

It's not about them, it's about you!

so far most people ive meet have been friendly, and ive only been shot at 3 times.. Guess im just a luckier person the others :/

I'm the exact same. Been playing for about a month and have only been shot at 3 times. I've met up with 10 or so randoms and either worked at something together, or just said hi and offered a trade. I think I've been pretty lucky as well!

In game, I don't trust anyone... They're always going to shoot at me regardless. I don't initiate the shooting, however... I just say hi, i'm friendly and what not, and go about my daily business, but more often than not the kindness is thrown back at me in the form of bullets.

However, I do trust people from the game forums - I've met with 4 people from contacting each other on the forums, who now play as a tight knit group together on a daily basis!

i get killed mostly by players than falling from roofs or zombies

so i shoot frist ask questions later

unless your playing with a friend you know then do not turn your back on any player in game

*may just find a hachet sticking out of it if you do *

A lot of players will die once or twice to a KoS player and then take on board the policy themselves, they fail to remember or try to experience those situations which work out the other way. I've had many bad encounters, and also many good ones which ended up in much more loot than killing that player could have provided. Of course, now I am in a clan and we only trust ourselves, they simply shoot on sight, but I sometimes make exceptions.

Really all you need to do is find a survivor clan and join up with them, it will change your game experience dramatically.

I would be willing to trust people, but the direct chat is too short range right now so I don't bother. Right now if I spot you at a distance I'll hide in a bush and watch you until I see where you are going and then readjust my route accordingly. If you startle me at close range I will open fire, if you say duck behind cover when you see I've spotted you and we're close enough I might try and arrange that we both walk away alive but virtually nobody answers so you'd have to be quick to respond. If I hear gunfire I always run away from it or scout it from a safe distance to see what is going on then move away from the area. If I get into a situation where we've both spotted each other but are too far too engage I'll tend to run away but then camp a bush to see if you're following me and if you do shoot you asap. I figure this as about as friendly you can be in DayZ right now, and its a lonely existence being a surivor unless you can find other people with similar attitudes. I don't want to KoS but I will at close range because I can't risk losing my alice bag map compass morphine etc to you.

I think if this game had better communciation I'd be willing to build trust with people. Sit 1km apart and have a chat, do some rudimentary trust exercises like trading by dropping items at the mid point and stuff. I think this would make the game a lot more fun. You could build trust with people then shoot them in the back of the head, get betrayed and stuff it would be a lot more engaging.

Totally agree. Yesterday I was playing. It was nighttime and I saw a survivor going into a supermarket at Cherno. I used direct chat (text) to ask if he was friendly. I know I was close enough because I heard him popping open a soda can through the wall.

Just an hour before I got shot without warning while filling my waterbottles at a lake so I didn't want to take any chance of losing everything I got. After asking 3 times and after warning that I would shoot if he didn't react I shot his head off. What I don't know is if he ever saw my messages, despite the fact I was close enough.

It's a shame because I'd rather team up with someone and split the loot etc. but without anyone reacting there's no way to know you can trust someone.

But hey, that's what's Aplha is for right? :)

Totally agree. Yesterday I was playing. It was nighttime and I saw a survivor going into a supermarket at Cherno. I used direct chat (text) to ask if he was friendly. I know I was close enough because I heard him popping open a soda can through the wall.

Just an hour before I got shot without warning while filling my waterbottles at a lake so I didn't want to take any chance of losing everything I got. After asking 3 times and after warning that I would shoot if he didn't react I shot his head off. What I don't know is if he ever saw my messages, despite the fact I was close enough.

It's a shame because I'd rather team up with someone and split the loot etc. but without anyone reacting there's no way to know you can trust someone.

But hey, that's what's Aplha is for right? :)

You ppl should use voice chat more often. People either tend to overread the chat or servers have them off. So in the end you might have shot a guy who didn't even know you were there and we read his post later that he was popped while drinking a coke.

Yes I do feel sorry about it.. But it was pepsi, and I hate pepsi :P

jk

But (at the moment, will get one) I don't have a mic so I don't have a choice.

A little preface:

I just started playing recently (maybe a week ago) and am quickly learning the ropes. Numerous times I have been killed on sight while having been unarmed, both in towns scavenging and in the countryside traveling. This hasn't deterred me though, and even if I'm armed and they aren't, I'll give a radio call saying friendly.

Just today from a fresh spawn, I found a crossbow, pistol, standard stuff. I make my way to Electro in search of a better backpack when suddenly I see a hatchet wielding player running down the street. He had an Alice pack, though I had no idea of the other gear. Instead of just killing him outright like most would, we ended up having a nice little exchange of intel about the area and some dude who was sniping everyone from a certain building.

After that we both headed on our separate ways.

--Cool story, Bro--

Anyhow, do any other players actually trust anyone in this game and not kill them for what they have? I see posts on the forums about wanting more comradery, so I thought I'd share my 2 cents to show that there are benefits to it.

we should team up, I'm a loner as well in the DayZ world.

You can be trusting & at the same time smart.

Keep a safe distance, communicate, look out for irratic behavior & always have a firearm handy.

There is good and bad in this world, both of them.

I was inside a Control Tower at an Airfield and heard gunshots nearby. I quickly grabbed a morphine and Hunting Knife that was laying there (nothing else of worth). Then i quickly left and headed into the woods. While inside the tower i used Direct comms (text and mic) to try and tell the people firing nearby that i was friendly. When i left and was in the woods i look back to see 2 players (one in Guille and both with Aks or Sniper couldn't quite see) and they were making their way towards the tower (crouched walking) i was in some 2 minutes ago. So they must have heard me and hunted me down.

What i have learnt from this is to not broadcast yourself with stuff like "Friendly, don't shoot!" as it just attacts Bandits (why else did they fire at the tower and not answer my comms?). I proned away and thought to myself 'well declaring friendly is a nice way to get a bullet in your head'. I don't adopt the KOS and i never will.

Edit: Do i trust anyone? No, unless they are unarmed and even then i wont let them stick around for long (could be a spotter for some Bandits up the road). The only way i would trust someone is if they go out of their way to heal/help me. Then i consider it good manners to repay the favour.

I agree with better comms are needed.

Edited by Grey Warden

We kill on sight now. Even if the player is a far distance away and hasnt seen me, I hunt him down.

last week I hunted some dude legging it across the valley away from another player. He was bleeding, anyways I downed him with my DMR, waited then the other player followed. i shot him too but he Alt-F4'd.