EpicPencil

Is everyone in DayZ like this?

It's less about people being assholes, and more about them not being able to trust you. How did that guy know you weren't laying on the ground, pretending to be incapacitated. My group and I have a strict Shoot on Sight policy provided the person isn't unarmed. It's not about killing him as much as it is about not dying.

This. I've had friends be lured into even more elaborate traps than this. You just can't ever be 100% sure.

Here is my niceness story:

Yesterday my brother and I were sitting on the two hills above Palona by the deer stand. I walked to the top of the hill looking for him because he was coming my way and I noticed a guy in camo running across the field. I did not shoot. I walked into a tree and watched. Then a second person walked right in front of me and stood there watching that person run into Palona. I did not shoot. I'm sure they would have both shot my ass on sight, but I just couldn't bring myself to shoot someone in the back. It felt kinda weird being that close to other players knowing that i had the power to ruin their day, and not doing anything about it, considering how many times i've been player killed. Karma being what it is, I know if I would have shot the first guy for his camo, the second would have shot me, so this is one circumstance where it worked out in my favor.

Most of the people who KoS can't aim worth a shit. Whenever I hear a gunshot in my direction I just taunt the dude. Never really been hit by people while I've ran full speed, although I pissed off two hackers I killed when I was firing at them and told them they should really learn how to aim before they hack, as I weaved in and out of trees for cover taking shots at them, until I was so close I just unloaded in their face. They teleported behind me like 2 minutes later with full guns again lol was funny as hell.

I would have shot you or ran to be safe. I can crawl in prone and pretend my friend isn't sitting on a hill w/ a 50cal.

I just got raped after 2 successive respawns. First one was literally spawn camped, if that's even possible in this game. I spawned at night by the coast and started moving along it only to be terminated less than a minute later. How can that even be remotely entertaining? I had nothing of value. The guy must have had sniper and night goggles.

Next respawn I made it to a town and got axed in the face as i was trying to tell to the guy I'm unarmed and friendly. It must have taken him a dozen slashes of the axe to kill me as I lay unconscious. One thing I noticed as he was hacking me was, how sick In the head that player in real life must be, deep down in his subconscious.

This game is freakin scary as feck.

OP, you asked for his help.

Did you ever come to think that the only help he could offer was a bullet to the head?

As you said youself, he was in a shed with a 1911. Sounds like to me he didn't have shit himself.

Fuckin Day Z man.

Just because the menu on the left was popped up i couldn't shoot, didnt realize til I was dead.

LOL when I tried to put a blood bag into my friend's backpack so he could give me a transfusion, I accidentally left clicked and shot him in the face, even though the menu on the left side was still popped up. Never trust dat menu... ^^

I saved a guy from a few zombies the other day only for him to take me out straight after it

It's not always like that OP ... I personally never shoot first, would never kill in injured player and am pretty friendly if someone announces they are too.

I've never been backstabbed, and I've met up with a few randoms and gone scavenging together.

I once even gave an unarmed player a shotgun ... risky business, that. He didn't shoot me.

Today is my second day of DayZ. So far I have mixed feelings about it. Anyways, today i was in Cherno, trying to get some supplies, but i fell and broke my leg. I stopped the bleeding and everything and started to crawl towards some gun fire I heard, hoping someone would show a little kindness to someone with literally no weapons, a few items and a broken left leg. I found the shots coming from a small warehouse. A man was inside firing an M1911. I typed in to chat "Whoever's in there, can you help me because I have a broken leg.". The mystery shooter came outside, took one look at me, and shot me. I don't understand. I posed absolutely zero threat to him, had little to no supplies on me, and yet he still murdered me, in cold blood. If I was in his position, I would help the person out. Is everyone in the game like this? I certainly hope not, seeing as how I'd like this game to be fun, not full of assholes, like cod players. I've heard these players are called "bandits". But everyone I've came across in my journey has been a complete douche or has ignored me.

its the cod mentality, its burnt into their braincells, spawn kill, spawn kill... its sad...

Day 2, have yet to meet someone that killed me. I have met 2 people, with one we were killed by zombies and the other ambushed by bandits. On only one other occasion was I killed by bandits. I seem like a lucky one. :P (I never saw the bandits that killed me so I did not really "meet" them, only their bullets.)

Anyway have some beans. :beans:

Edited by RedLlama

Many peoploe value the risk of being sent back to the beaches over a single act of kindness to a stranger. Don't expect any friendship from anyone in solo or small groups. Most will panic too much and seek to settle that panic asap. Bigger groups are either big because A. A lot of bandits have gotten organised from outside the mod. B. Because a group of longtime friends have gotten together (could be friendly or hostile at big sizes) or C. Because a cluster of randomers have grown in size picking up trustworthy people bit by bit. Even still, that's not to say that they're looking for more help.

If a group is so big that you should abandon all hope in beating them, they won't be so quick to panic and can PERHAPS be reasoned with. A big "perhaps" in the world of randomers. You need to pray murder wasn't on their agenda before they were made aware of your presense. And if you're lucky (you may need to be visibly undergeared) they will determine that killing you is futile and will only reap petty loot that they're overstocked on. I'd still personally run for the trees.

no matter how shitty things get, it makes being kind all the more honorable. i will never kos, apart from if i know someone else is, then i will kos them, but thats it.

Edited by tfninja

The same thing happened to me today again... twice. This time i had a few supplies, some weapons, but a broken leg too. I crawled to the hospital, got an epi-pen and was about to inject myself when i saw someone. I looked at him, typed "friendly?" and then he shot me. Bandits are bitches.

He was helping you out, man. If you'd shot that broken leg full of epinephrine instead of morphine, you'd have been in terrible pain.

Volumes could be written on the sociology of this game. I like it myself, and I find that if you introduce yourself to other survivors instead of hiding from them until you need a favor, you'll have a chance of getting some buddies. I'd say that the first guy I meet after I spawn on the beach is friendly at least half the time. The other half I either don't meet anyone or get attacked. Many players are terrible at PvP and cannot hit me, others kill me and take my bandage. No sweat, I try again and maybe make a friend. Without an endgame my goal becomes the telling of interesting stories, and meet another survivor virtually guarantees a big boost in the story of any given life.

Edited by Beez

Surely Rocket can see the direction his mod is going in, no?

What gives me little hope is that it's been going in this direction for quite a while, and nothing has been done. In fact, one of the few things that helped a little was bandit skins. That was removed.

There are some friendly people, but I think that most of them are on these forums. And when you really think about it, it's not that many. I've met four friendly people. Two of them are real life friends, one of them had no weapons and we were in a dark server, and the other one actually had a gun in Balota Airstrip. None of them actually wanted to group with me past a few seconds. I also met someone on these forums that I saved with a blood bag at 2000 blood. I don't count that though, as the arrangement was made outside of the game. Everyone else in about six weeks of playing DayZ, has shot first. Until there are consequences for murdering, this mod will continue to deteriorate into a death match mod, not much different from Counter-Strike.

The two things that need to be addressed are consequences for being an asshat, or requirements at least and more end-game style content. I also believe that Zed numbers need to be drastically increased, ideally to force grouping in large cities and make zombies a bit more of a factor. Fix the hacking, fix the tents not saving contents, give survivors melee weapons on spawn and for goodness sake, change the inventory and UI to something that isn't confusing as hell.. It took me quite a long time to really figure out how it worked. It still blows.

THIS.^

This is exactly what should be added. Please, get on this, I realize the mod is in alpha, but this is the time for major fixes, such as the stuff said above.

Started to change my behavior recently from KOS to 'try to establish contact'.

Overall it worked quite well so far. But today was funny :)

Was sitting in a treeline somewhere south of zelenogorsk. A random survivor runs into my field of view, just 20 meters from me, sits down and looks around; a pistol in his hands and a lee enfield shouldered.

"Hey dude, don't make a wrong move. What are your intentions?"

Hmm... his reaction was to equip his lee enfield. One burst from my Kobra in his back and he drops down.

Hey that's just a plainly stupid reaction :D If you wanna play bandit, get smarter.

Two or three minutes after another player runs towards me, some zombies chasing him. A makarov survivor. I told him that I am friendly but he shall not come close. He keeps running towards me...starts shooting... "bad decision dude"... I just keep my distance to him until the horde does the job for me :)

Today is my second day of DayZ. So far I have mixed feelings about it. Anyways, today i was in Cherno, trying to get some supplies, but i fell and broke my leg. I stopped the bleeding and everything and started to crawl towards some gun fire I heard, hoping someone would show a little kindness to someone with literally no weapons, a few items and a broken left leg. I found the shots coming from a small warehouse. A man was inside firing an M1911. I typed in to chat "Whoever's in there, can you help me because I have a broken leg.". The mystery shooter came outside, took one look at me, and shot me. I don't understand. I posed absolutely zero threat to him, had little to no supplies on me, and yet he still murdered me, in cold blood. If I was in his position, I would help the person out. Is everyone in the game like this? I certainly hope not, seeing as how I'd like this game to be fun, not full of assholes, like cod players. I've heard these players are called "bandits". But everyone I've came across in my journey has been a complete douche or has ignored me.

welcome to dayz

5 simple rules for DayZ rookies to follow.

-Don't trust anyone.

-British servers have more "friendly" players.

-Never crawl into a gunfight with a broken leg.

-Decide how you want to play...i.e Survivor/bandit/hopeless runner

...and last but not least

-DON'T TRUST ANYONE!

Not everybody, for example if it was me I would have transfused you to full, shot you till you lost consciousness, and dragged you into a group of zeds

DayZ is all about KoS these days, don't let anyone fool you. I stopped playing because it's not the survival game most thought existed (which is okay, just wanna point that out)

If you don't like deathmatch, wait for WarZ or metagame (read: Ruin the concept of survival) and just guard the clan's camp.

Edited by Virfortis

Alright, you are gonna be taking a risk with any player you encounter. Some are going to be good and will try helping you out, others care little about concepts of mercy or compassion. Every person will react differently and you are going to find some jaded people that have been taken advantage of this game far too often and will shoot you rather than help because that is easier than extending the branch of trust.

its the cod mentality, its burnt into their braincells, spawn kill, spawn kill... its sad...

The "bandits" are accomplishing way more in this game than survivors, that's just a fact. Maybe grouping up with some one and fighting zombies is a challenge for you, but if you're not a complete fucking idiot, it's not. PvP is the interesting facet for most people in this game. (or in the case of killing new spawns, "hunting the most dangerous game")