Sign in to follow this  
freeman83

Up Close and Personal

Hey whats up guys,

Ok so my suggestions are mostly related to Stealth, Close Quarters Combat, and melee style gameplay.... with some survival thrown in.

Im sure none of this is new but i just wanted to swap ideas with fellow stealth lovers and Ninjas who also like it up close and personal, maybe we can come up with some awesome ideas together =)

• Ability to swing melee weapons while moving at any speed
  • Stab in back/ Cut throat, stealth kill animations
  • Ability to climb trees
  • Hug tree and blend in like Arnie in Predator
  • Build tree house, or nest for concealment
  • Long bow/ also catch fish with bow
  • Blow Gun with poisonus darts
  • Ability to use hunting Knife as weapon (MGS3 style)
  • throwing knives
  • Crouch evasive roll in 5 directions (ninjitsu)
  • Once killed, must become zombie for 20mins or until kills survivor
  • Non lethal weapons. (Tranq gun mgs)
  • Choice between bare foot, boots, sneakers etc. Each has different consequence for noise produced and what surface can be walked on
  • Fishing in lakes and rivers
  • Traps for catching animals
  • Bear traps need to be stronger
  • use oven in houses to cook
  • (will add your Suggestions here)

I was fed up with being killed over and over without even seeing the eyes of my enemy, so i vowed that things where going to be different in future. I went away and did some research on Tactical movement, Stealth, Cover and Concealment, SAS survival tactics, things of that nature, trying to find a better way of surviving in dayz. After playing dayz this evening with my new method, i have fallen in love with stealth tactics and Melee weapons. i want to share my story with you all....

(Act-1)

I was just hanging out in a forest near Cherno scanning the forest for some animals to hunt, when in the distance my eye caught something. I took a second look and there he was, a cold blooded Killer loaded with weapons crouching down around 100m in front of me. He was looking around and i was prone and playing dead amongst the clutter so i knew he hadnt seen me. He starts moving in my general direction so i roll to my left and put a tree between him and myself then i keep still. He keeps coming, walking right towards me, occasionally stopping to look around. as he gets close i start to move slowely around the tree to keep it between him and me. He gets within 8m of my position as he passes by the left side of the tree. Amazing!, he hadnt seen me!,. He then picks up the pace and starts Jogging,so i start sprinting up behind him with my hatchet drawn, he realises he's in trouble and starts sprinting and changing direction wildly, but im locked on to him. It's to late. He turns to aim his revolver at me but it's just to late for him. I check through his belongings, he has an M24.. an AKM...a revolver, Binocs, grenades, etc. I only took his alice pack, binocs and an empty water canteen, i left the rest, its of no use to me. Why you ask? The Hatchet is all i need. The hatchet combined with tactical movement is a force to be recconned with and also very satisfying to face an enemy with all that fire power with only a hatchet. Before you all start lableing me a murderer, my stats said Bandits Killed +1. After this encounter i felt i had found a style of survival that worked for me, so i stuck with it.

(Act-2)

Later that evening, i was aproaching Cherno from the north west, when i could hear lots of rifle fire, and every few seconds a player was being killed. I hid nicely in some bushes along the tree line and took a look at Cherno with the binocs that i had aquired earlier from that bandit. From where i was, i could see the factory clearly but there was no snipers up top, then my eye caught some movement on top of a tall chimney like tower with ladder access in front of the factory... and there he was, a cold blooded killer no different to the ones that had killed me when i innocently went to take a drink from a pond or to scavange for food in the shop in cherno. But things where different now, i could see him, but he couldnt see me. It's then i realised that i was the hunter and he was the prey. His rifle couldnt help him if he couldnt see me coming. I watched his movement for patterns, he was predictable, changing direction to scan every 5-10 seconds. The problem was between me and him there was 200-300m a large open field filled with zeds, and he had a clear visual on anybody that approached from my direction, so i watched him and i watched the zeds until the stars alligned. He turned away from me, and the zeds where no longer occupying the space between me and a tree in the field so i went for it! .. i sprinted around 30m then dropped to prone when i realised the tree had covered the snipers line of sight so he could not see me. I crawled up to the tree which was V shaped and took my binocs out and watched him through the gap. My next target was a red house 100m away (enterable). Once the stars had aligned again I went for the house, went straight through out in to the back yard and stopped at the corner of the adjacent house and took a peek up at the tower, which was very close now,... and there he was...looking around. As soon as a zed had vacated the garden and the sniper turned away from me, i moved to the wall in the backyard then sticking to it moved to the base of the tower. I climbed the ladder, when i got to the top i went for him... he didnt stand a chance. He also had an M24... I left it and carefully retreated back to the forest. Surprisingly i got a +1 for murder, but thats gotta be a glitch because he was a killer for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kI9-bD5Bo

Edited by freeman83
  • Like 9

Bear traps need to be stronger. U Got My Beans Son.

Edited by ZERQER

Hatchet seems stupid add shanks and kitchen knives. You should bhe able to hear footsteps. Might I say rocket would have a fucktumor in his brain trying to work that into arma 2's engine. Or he could but it wouldn't be playable because navigating through a house is harder than driving a forklift backwards on two wheels on a steep cliff.

Build treehouse.

Dem treehouses be stealthy.

+1 to "Use hunting knifes as weapons" & "ability to swing melee weapons at any speed"

-1 to the rest.

• Like 1

You get beans for the stories, and for the suggestions.

As for your ideas, I like most of them.. throwing knives and poison darts not so much because it seems a little excessive, I don't think there needs to be too many silent weapons..

I prefer the hatchet/sidearm approach myself, but the longbow could definitely be cool.

I really want to be able to use the hunting knife for melee, imo it should take the place of the crowbar and use the sidearm slot. Climbing trees could be interesting, I sort of worry about the falling out/glitching into the tree possibilties though. D:

I'm also a big fan of the stealth/hatchet gameplay myself btw.. glad to hear there are others out there challenging themselves like this.

It's fun, isn't it? ;)

Edited by Cyanyde

Heres some inspiration for brain storming...

Edited by freeman83

I support this thread.

In real life, these are the things I would be relying on for survival... not some super high tech sniper rifle, lmao.

I'd go back to my martial arts training and hunting skills... also growing up as a kid in a country area, learning how to climb anything and eat anything.

Simply adding the ability to punch with your fists and swing an axe wile moving (at all... even walking, just give is SOMETHING) would make all the difference to me.

~Sol

I wish they would add the hunting knife as a melee i dont see why not

this isnt call of duty

Your right pal it's not. This game is about survival, in which Close quarters combat and stealth should play a big part ;)

Edited by freeman83

I like the post and love the stories! Not too keen on some of the ideas but ultimately I'm right with you. Melee and ninjas need more love. Why do guns get all the slick "upgrades" and choices?

I would personally nix blow gun, throwing knives, and ninja rolls. Doesn't really fit with the atmosphere.

I have a few suggestions of my own and figured I would fold them in with your great ideas rather than make a new thread. Assuming we're talking standalone Day Z beyond Arma II's limitations.

I feel melee combat in general should be visceral, engaging, not just point and click to swing, swing, swing until the target stops moving. It should require acting and reacting quickly and decisively. High risk, high reward.

Variety in melee weapons should be more then just "more damage." Different damage types with different effects, all based on how good the weapon itself is. Blunt weapons stagger/daze, cause concussions. Bladed weapons cause bleeding, limb/head chopping and efficient killing. Different speed, range, and dmg based on weapon itself.

Non-lethal options would be a big plus to go with a variety of blunt weapons, giving honest survivors an option to neutralize a threat without having to resort to the kill.

"Small" weapons should not take up a primary/secondary slot, instead equipped straight from inventory/toolbelt to hand and back. Possible separate slot for bigger, dedicated melee weapons, or have the choice to put them in primary or secondary slot.

Ability to quickly and smoothly sidestep, or hop evasively to one side. Not a ninja/combat roll, but practical and effective.

More melee weapons of course!

• [baseball Bat] - Hardwood or aluminum varieties. Not the most efficient "killer" but great with the blunt weapon daze/stagger/concussion effects.
  • [Driftwood / 2x4 Plank / Branch] - More common but not as balanced/effective as baseball bats. A little unwieldy, but good for the stagger and bludgeoning effects and to have some kind of weapon in a pinch.
  • [Combat Knife] - More effective than hunting knife, but perhaps not gutting option.
  • [Machete] - Quintessential zombie killer. No zombocalypse without one. Arguably out of place in setting, but not a huge stretch if it's a rare but potent weapon.
  • [Katana] - Even more effective but rarer still. Could be plenty of collectors in the castles/mansions, or randomly in residences and spread around by looting. But very rare, Rolls Royce of melee.
  • [sledgehammer] - Brutal, effective. Uncommon and a bit cumbersome.
  • [Chainsaw] - Come on! Another staple! Rare, requires jerry can, high noise sacrifices any stealth, but mows through hordes of zombies like nothing else. Could also cause that panic/fear mechanic when used on players. Definitely requires primary slot, also cumbersome/weighs player down.

Changes to current weapons.

• [Crowbar] - Up the damage, include daze/stagger effects.
  • [Hatchet] - Cause bleeding but lower dmg to body. 1 hit kill to head/neck still. Not usable while prone. Also let us take a "hatchet" out of the tree stumps with axe, and lootable in fire stations. Could make separate types like fire axe and woodcutter's axe, but ultimately redundant. Reduce hatchet spawns in other areas.
  • [Hunting Knife] - 1 hit kill to head/neck. Decent dmg, moderate bleeding.
  • [Military Flashlight] - Model after Maglite and make equippable as weapon, too. Those things can do some decent blunt dmg in a pinch!

It would just be nice to have some options like with guns. Ultimately for most it would come down to using guns only, or using the hatchet/machete as the go-to weapons. But for the rest of us who really enjoy melee combat and excel at it, it opens up a whole new world of hacking, bashing, chopping, stealthy fun!

freeman83

• Ability to swing melee weapons while moving at any speed
  • Stab in back/ Cut throat, stealth kill animations
  • Ability to climb trees
  • Hug tree and blend in like Arnie in Predator
  • Build tree house, or nest for concealment
  • Long bow/ also catch fish with bow
  • Blow Gun with poisonus darts
  • Ability to use hunting Knife as weapon (MGS3 style)
  • throwing knives
  • Crouch evasive roll in 5 directions (ninjitsu)
  • Once killed, must become zombie for 20mins or until kills survivor
  • Non lethal weapons. Tranquilizers, nice idea for tea bagging and looting a bandit. Rage inducing. This has Fapguy's seal of approval.
  • Choice between bare foot, boots, sneakers etc. Each has different consequence for noise produced and what surface can be walked on whether or not you get sick fast.
  • Fishing in lakes and rivers - First impression is.. nah.. food is already too easy, but somehow this should be implemented.. Too many people would probably go camp in the forests, would make it all pretty damn boring.
  • Traps for catching animals - I think you can just run up to them and hit them in the face with a crowbar, no need for traps. Planting traps would just make so many more people camp around.
  • Bear traps need to be stronger - Agreed, a broken leg is not enough, at least make Morphine unable to heal a broken leg caused by a trap - would need Tape and Wood to fix it completely ..
  • use oven in houses to cook - gas?
  • (will add your Suggestions here)

<end of lazy>

Edited by Fapguy