Sign in to follow this  
Slavinkje

Why call this zombie survival?

This is a sandbox PVP game, what's interesting is that the games give the meaning to affect, in good and in bad, the experience of other players.

Basically if a chunk of the community decides to shoot on sight, it affect the way you experience the game.

For me it's interesting, and it's also absolutely hillarious to read the neverending stream of messages more or less saying "The other players are preventing me from enjoying the game, fix it".

It's not so often that you see a video game come up that doesn't cater to anyone but itself, there is no hand holding, there are no rules, there are no punishments for ruining someone else's fun. It's basically a game where having fun, is not something the game promise to provide you with.

I'm not saying I want PVP to be 'changed' (ie. coding, bandit skins, humanity, whatever element) but I do think by putting some more emphasis on the zombie apocolypse it will make this game more interesting.

@Lady Kyrah: he wants it to be harder. didn't you read it? contribution to the discussion = zero.

on topic: i think it's a technical problem. the zombie count would increase drasticly if they were also in the wilderness. they spawn when you get close to settlements and they also despawn when you get distance to them. that's a way of keeping numbers balanced.

i'd love some kind of stealthy stalker zombie type. like someone who got recently infected and is still more agile and intelligent than the normal zombie. they would have no aggro sound so you wouldn't hear them coming. stuff like that is hard to make with just a mod for arma though.

Edited by badbenson

In Walking Dead the zombies started moving out from the cities in hordes after a while. Would be cool if they did the same thing here. After an hour with no player present they could leave the city or something? Imagine just wandering around in the woods and then suddenly you meet a horde of 20-30 zombies. Would be pretty cool imo.

Well there is the very same topic on the other side of the suggestion forum that say the zombies are too hard. No matter what you do you can never please everyone.

Good idea. But right now. Let them focus on getting this game running stabil.

Edited by Flexho

In Walking Dead the zombies started moving out from the cities in hordes after a while. Would be cool if they did the same thing here. After an hour with no player present they could leave the city or something? Imagine just wandering around in the woods and then suddenly you meet a horde of 20-30 zombies. Would be pretty cool imo.

yes this actually would be quite cool, i often nearly got bored while wandering through the woods, this would certainly bring a lot more atmosphere to the mod, so i think Slavinkje`s suggestion is quite good.

Well there is the very same topic on the other side of the suggestion forum that say the zombies are too hard. No matter what you do you can never please everyone.

fuck that whiners. the only thing that zombies do is indicating if player is in the city for snipers. apart that they are just useless meat.

so when you have a gun and zombies aint a threat anymore, game becomes arma back, with addition of scavenging element

@Lady Kyrah: what's with people not tolerating opinions of others in these forums? last time i checked this was the suggestions section. i think people posting here realize that not every idea they have will be put in the game. so why are there still those "special" people searching for suggestion threads and annoy the topic starters with their wise-assery (i knowthat's not a word XD) about how this game is meant to be. all you're doing is disagree without any input to the discussion. why the hell waste everyone's time. no one cares if you disagree. this is an area for brain storming not stupid "i'm right you're not bs".

this might not be the most original thread but still....

ps: oh i see almost 500 posts. this seems to be you're hobby...

• Like 1

Creating new topics on already exposed issues, bugs, features is wasting everyone's time for 30 seconds of fame.

And I guess you are the one to decide for everyone what's a waste of time and what isn't right?

Can we get back on topic?

Search function.

This has been suggested numerous times, and roaming zombies or threats are planned (from my knowledge).

I like how everything you wrote was followed by (players are still a threat). Thats the idea of this game. Its a psychological war between you and other survivors. Kill or be killed? Team up and survive together? Those choices make this game the zombie survival. You ARE surviving a zombie apocalypse.

Zombies act as an obstacle, similar to jump platforms on something like Mario. They are not the "boss" or main threat, the thing that will end you. But they are the thing that causes problems if put together with other threats. (How much more difficult is it to jump on a small platform [zombie] if there was a goomba on it as well? [player]). It adds levels of difficulties depending on your situation and decisions.

IF you run through a town, lure the zombies, only to lure them in a building and lose their aggro. Yes, thats easy. But how do you know you didnt just alert a survivor on the horizon, due to the mass movement you caused in town? Your decisions effect you in every way. We don't need big tough zombies to make that better, we just need to make zombies WORK. And then maybe increase the amount of them to cause greater consequences

I agree that zombies/infected need an adjustment to make them a threat, but in the meantime remember this is just an Alpha stage project. I assure you in the final stage of DayZ, zombies/infected will be a threat.

I agree that zombies should be just as threatening (everywhere) as are other players. So other players would be forced to think about uniting with people roaming the wilderness, instead of shooting them. The zombies should be the force to unite against, not the noobs.

Rocket can be quoted saying he wants to put in things like bears and wolves that would fill the gap in the wilderness. Players are the real threat at the moment but some items need removal and others need an overhall, and some need to drop less. like ammo needs to be more scarce.

When the zombies stop killing you as much, that means you're getting good at the game. But mark my words, somewhere, sometime down the line, you're going to get killed by a zombie. You might fuck up and break a leg, then immediately get knocked unconscious, then get munched to death. Zombies aren't that strong, but there's a lot of them, they all want to kill you, and they're standing between you and your sweet, sweet shiny stuff. They're the constant threat that keeps you on your toes in this game. Aside from psychotic bandits with bigger guns than you, they're the only lingering, always present threat that won't hesitate to fuck you over.

And that's why the game is called DayZ, not PVP Survival.

Bears and wolves would actually be a great idea. Makes the world feel more alive too..