Sign in to follow this  
splatterdk

Why you shouldn't buy a SERVER

Hello There,

Are you thinking about buying a server and supporting this game, well stop, read and think again. I have been a server admin for 3 weeks now and have been following this forum allmost every day, in that period. I've noticed an increased number of threads and appeals about Admin abuse and being banned / Kicked from servers. I've also seen that many of the threads are being spammed either by other people saying they have had the same experience or people saying its your own fault. I have been waiting for a post like this, but seems like nobody wants to step up and face the fact that the future of server admins in this game is only to laugh about. I Will now state the most common rights you get, when you buy a server.

List of Features:

Start / Stop / Restart

Time Changer

Configs of server (Change name, motd .....)

Kick / Ban

Lock

Updates

Now this seems like allot of features for an admin, but before i even start i will remove "lock" from the list, because this is not allowed and will get your server blacklisted. I do admire this rule and many hosting companys have applied the rule, so that if the system spots a server with password it will be shutdown until, pass removed.

Then we have Kick / Ban, this seems like a fairly command for a server admin. But the fact is that if you decide that a user have broken the rules or actually hacked and bans him for it, you will find a post on this forum a few hours later with screenshots that dosent prove anything, other than he is not guilty of his crimes and shall be unbanned. If the player is smart, he will have his friends backing him up, saying they have experienced the same thing. In a few minutes the thread will have 10 posts saying that you abuse your admin rights. In the end it will be you that gets punished, for the fact that a hacker or a player that just wants to make your life hard entered your server. Now there is something called a HIVE LOG, and allmost everything is reported to this but, it dosent show shit other than spawning vehicles and disconnect. You can actually be standing right behind a duplicator, but in the server log it wont state the same. Yes he is getting allot of loots, by glitches, but if it so easy to see then dayz could make a filter and punish them. my 20cents go on the fact, that it looks like he just loots another alice backpack and not duplicates it.. who will win?!

Start / STOP / Restart, you can use this feature but yet again. IF a player thinks you restart the server, just because he stole one vehicle, that dosent have to belong to you. He can make a post and wolla, you lose again.

Whats left then?

Time Changer

Configs (Name, version ....)

Updates...

IS this worth paying 50$ a month?, in my opinion no!. I gotta say this is a great game and have been allot of fun, but the appeals and abuse threads are clearly out of hand..!

My 20 cents, I know this thread will get spammed by people who simply dont care but either way my words are written.

• Like 24

Not sure if serious.. Or just another abuser who got his server blacklisted..

Some hosters wont allow time change.

It feels a little more secure when im on my server with my clan

Example: Someone hacks - bring down the server ASAP.

• Like 1

Yeah. You hit the nail on the head. The problem is the DayZ guys are jerks. Instead of letting servers run how they want to and letting admins decide how they want things to go they are trying to force everyone to do what DayZ wants them to. The funny part is they are just forcing people to realize that private servers are better than public servers. There is no server hoping on a private server and the people who cheat get banned unlike what happens on a public server. Plus you don't have to worry about the babies crying about admin abuse. If you run a crappy server then no one is going to play on it which solves the problem all by itself. Without any nonsense from the DayZ devs.Also the hive is just a big waste. All the Hive does is de sync all the time and it allows you to server hop. It's funny with all these stupid rules I don't really understand why they allow server hopping because that is just a cheat all by itself.

• Like 2

I took my server down this weekend because you get nothing but shat on as an admin. Shat on by players, shat on by hackers and shat on by the DayZ team.

I will continue to play but will not bother running a server anymore.

The responses in this thread only prove Splatters point.

A lot of players in this community are pretty self-entitled.

• Like 6

I have to agree with the OP... there seems to have been a very limited view of exactly how this would all play out, when those rules by DayZ were written... they definately need to be redone, because at the moment, the rules all favore the hackers & hamstring the Admins to who manage their servers.

As a server Admin myself, I'm currently discussing with my community about letting our server go... which has only be up for a few weeks... due to the constant hacks almost on a daily basis. Clearly when those rules where first written, they didn't forsee the problems of Admins having to deal with this on there own, as there is very little help from BIS/BatEye at this time.

Hey guys, mods quickly demolished my post on the official forums as the peoples republic of the dayz hive didn't see it fit for their society.

Till they sort out server hopping and vehicle hacks we plan to play on a private hive only giving the password to our own relatively small community. I am looking to rent a dayZ sanctuaray server. I really don't have the time to fluff around myself with a VPS so either a hosting company who could accommodate this or an individual who can make this happen for us could get in contact and we can finalise things like price :)

Yes I am well aware the dayz team doesn't like this, but there is absolutely no reason for them to prohibit these kinds of servers other than a plan on running a totalitarian regime, which just doesn't work

Thanks!

• Like 1

I say rocket makes a rule that until people pay for the game or for a server they can stfu and play on one of the 20k+ other servers if they dont like yours.

• Like 3

You can have my beans.

More and more I feel the server admins are left in the dark and not really supported at all.

This is kind of wrong in my opinion as the money from these admins provide the actual servers that are needed to support the huge playerbase of this game.

Yeah. You hit the nail on the head. The problem is the DayZ guys are jerks. Instead of letting servers run how they want to and letting admins decide how they want things to go they are trying to force everyone to do what DayZ wants them to. The funny part is they are just forcing people to realize that private servers are better than public servers. There is no server hoping on a private server and the people who cheat get banned unlike what happens on a public server. Plus you don't have to worry about the babies crying about admin abuse. If you run a crappy server then no one is going to play on it which solves the problem all by itself. Without any nonsense from the DayZ devs.Also the hive is just a big waste. All the Hive does is de sync all the time and it allows you to server hop. It's funny with all these stupid rules I don't really understand why they allow server hopping because that is just a cheat all by itself.

Absolutely bang on! Private Hive server admins have this power, DayZ have admins have the power to... start and stop the server and thats about it.

• Like 2

Another reason not to buy a server is cause waiting 8 to 14 hours to even get a response to a support ticket is ridiculous.

I've got a blade server colocated here locally to me with more processing power and bandwidth than I'd need to run my own DayZ server, but no...I gotta pay someone else to run it for me who can't be assed to check their support queue more than twice a day and doesn't even actively monitor their colocated clusters.

Pretty crap, imho.

I killed a admin on US 1479 and he restarted so it wont count :/

That copy-cat game coming very soon. You know, "The War Z". Yeah its going to have private and public servers. Private and Public!

I really do not mind the rules too much. I think the way that they have been put forward is a little rude. But it makes players think that I have to kiss their ass. I kicked a guy for having a 240ms ping. My server clearly states in the name and motd, no pings above 100ms. His friend asks why I kicked him. I told his friend why. Then his friend asks about his own ping. I told him his ping was 41ms and that it was good. He says "ok, cause I know the rules you have to follow, and if I get kicked. We are going to have a problem". I wanted to kick him right there. But, I did not say anything or do anything. That shit is just rude. Hey asshole, thanks for paying so I can play. BTW you better kiss my ass or I'll get your server burnt to the ground. OK?!?!? I'm kneeling, so start kissing!!

Edited by ArchAngel-7-

The newest additions to the server admin rules are sort of crap too.

It specifically says you can only ban someone from your server for malicious talk or racism.

So what? I can't ban hackers? Okay....great. I'll just shut my server down then when they show up.

If Rocket and the DayZ team want a test bed to gather metric data on hacks, they should be footing the bill for the servers that don't ban hackers...pretty much my take on the matter.

• Like 1

That copy-cat game coming very soon. You know, "The War Z". Yeah its going to have private and public servers. Private and Public!

I really do not mind the rules too much. I think the way that they have been put forward is a little rude. But it makes players think that I have to kiss their ass. I kicked a guy for having a 240ms ping. My server clearly states in the name and motd, no pings above 100ms. His friend asks why I kicked him. I told his friend why. Then his friend asks about his own ping. I told him his ping was 41ms and that it was good. He says "ok, cause I know the rules you have to follow, and if I get kicked. We are going to have a problem". I wanted to kick him right there. But, I did not say anything or do anything. That shit is just rude. Hey asshole, thanks for paying so I can play. BTW you better kiss my ass or I'll get your server burnt to the ground. OK?!?!? I'm kneeling, so start kissing!!

Just because you heard of and started playing DayZ first doesn't make it a copy cat.

I would of said "Thats a racist comment" in general chat and kicked him too.. Just because you KNOW the rules doesnt mean you can walk all over the place like your Boss.. I hate people.. lol I really do..

Yeah we need more control, I like DayZ but due to being given more control is definitely one reason I have more interest in The War Z. On the flipside, we have limited control CAUSE it is in Alpha still. That has been stated already.

I read the rules when I rented the server. So I can't complain, really.

I can understand people wanting to make their own rules and such, only allow their friends to come in and pve for loot. I would have no problem with this, as long as that server is disconnected from the hive.

When that server connects back to the hive, you need to follow that ruleset again. And, those characters must be saved to that particular server(or a seperate private hive or something.) So folks can't go easy mode collecting gear, then jump back into the public hive.

I can understand some of your frusterations. If I shared your opinion, I'd shut my server down, as well. And just enjoy playing on others.