jayboltz

Night time doesn't serve a purpose

Yes, unfortunately when people find themselves on a night time server, they often disconnect. However, for the people who stay, it's almost an advantage. When I find myself on a night time server, its much easier to scavenge the larger cities due to lack of players and its easier to avoid both players and zombies. Night time servers are often less populated, but saying night time serves no purpose is ridiculous. Night time servers still usually have a reasonable amount (20-30) and sometimes more. And you spawn with a goddam flashlight its not that hard to see.

Agree! I always go into the big citys at night. It is much safer then at daylight. Nighttime is a tactical advantage.

My point was if you can heal bones with morphine, and that's fine and dandy, then what would be SO TERRIBLE about having shorter day/night cycles to make people want to play during the night?

Why do people have to be made to want to play night? If they didnt have NV, even a short night time would be impossible and still lead to disconnects. And what the hell would a shorter one be? 6 hours? 3 hours? People will still have the problem you have; no NV and join a day time server. Do you mean a 1 hour night time? Still the same problem? Also that would mean a one hour day time? Realism would be killed totally. How would weather cycles fit into this btw? The complex realism of the healing system is no reasoning for changing this - which wont happen anyway so this is a pointless discussion generally.

Instead they server hop and thats OK with you?

Server hop? You mean, change server because its night time... That's not server hopping for loot. It's changing server so you can play in the day. Poor logic.

It's not a matter of patience, its a matter of no one playing on night servers. Sure people say they do and its fairly common, yet somehow I have YET to find one server with more than 2-3 people on them. Hmmm I think someone might be lying and/or full of shit?

Afraid not there are night servers with players on, that's just a fact anyone can see with or without NV :) You seem to be full of plenty of shit though, just generally. You are mad because you don't know how to use a Day time only server setting and try to reason this awesome part of the sandbox experience should be made much shorter even tho the same issue would exist. If anything the map just needs more NV.

Oh you're smart, what a clever reply. You've completely debunked my whole statement with that one sentence, gosh don't I feel dumb? Silly me I should have realized such a simpe solution. It's not like they're one of the rarest items in the game, which means if you are lucky enough to get them you'll probably be dead before you can use them. Hah infact it's so strange that all servers on during the night are always depopulated with such a simple fix! Thanks professor dipshit where would I be without you!

he surely excepts everyone to have highgeared friends, raiding the airfield and duping the shit out of their item so every guy has NVg's, Thermal snipers and wookie suits.

i played over 200 hours and the only NVG i found were on a dead guy in the chernogorsk supermarket lol. i would love to play more at night but right now with all the griefers and exploiters it doesnt make much sense.

Edited by Bezki

Why do people have to be made to want to play night? If they didnt have NV, even a short night time would be impossible and still lead to disconnects. And what the hell would a shorter one be? 6 hours? 3 hours? People will still have the problem you have; no NV and join a day time server. Do you mean a 1 hour night time? Still the same problem? Also that would mean a one hour day time? Realism would be killed totally. How would weather cycles fit into this btw? The complex realism of the healing system is no reasoning for changing this - which wont happen anyway so this is a pointless discussion generally.

Server hop? You mean, change server because its night time... That's not server hopping for loot. It's changing server so you can play in the day. Poor logic.

Afraid not there are night servers with players on, that's just a fact anyone can see with or without NV :) You seem to be full of plenty of shit though, just generally. You are mad because you don't know how to use a Day time only server setting and try to reason this awesome part of the sandbox experience should be made much shorter even tho the same issue would exist. If anything the map just needs more NV.

So...server hopping for loot is bad..server hopping to avoid night time is good? Ah I see, so stupid of me. How could I argue with such sound logic.

You and so many other derpinators on this thread really seem to be advocating that people play on night servers often. I have actively looked for a night server with people on it. And as I've said before, its usually just 2-3 people and they're probably on there as hackers/exploiters or maybe they were lucky enough to get a pair of NVGs. I know there are hacks out there that give you a full kit of whatever you want, so that's not hard to imagine. The problem is the vast majority of players avoid night time like the plague because you can't see shit without using something that makes you stick out like a sore thumb to any bandits. I find it interesting that people will try to deny this.

If they can't change the day/night cycles fine, I understand. If there are limitations with the engine then thats ok. But there are still many things that can be done to make people want to play during the night. I want to play during the night, I'm sure lots of other people do as well. It's a fucking zombie apocalypse game and I think night time should be a big part of it. Instead its just an annoyance that everyone simply bypasses for the same reasons I do. They could make the night time less dark so people can actually see somewhat, or they can add maybe new types of NVGs with various grades of quality or add more of the current ones, etc etc. The point is I think it can be fixed and that it should. If you don't agree, that's fine. But stop straw-manning the shit out of me when I'm not even BASHING the game.

Edited by jayboltz

well jay since a long time you can set the day month and weather of any scenario in OPF/arma. so it's not a "limitation" of the arma engine. it's a feature and a realistic one and you are just approching the subject in an irritating fashion like that. also it's netiher good or bad that someone changes server for day time - it's just not server hopping - a term applied to collecting loot or avoiding being killed. Furthermore - who seriously ever had to disconnect from a server because it went from day to night time? Maybe one or twice a few people? Me, never. I always just join day servers. wtf.. so there is little to no server changing due to day turning to night anyhow.

some servers are pitch black and others moon lit. i am not sure if a server owner can set those details. sure it would be better if it was always moonlit as a tradeoff for not having NVG in every building (which is equally as immersion killing as a permanent full moon perhaps.) but understand that when you are in a pitch black server and can literally see nothing - this is precisely realistic in a low moon cloudy environment far from artificial light..you cant tell if your eyes are open or closed. so its not a limitation of the engine either - arma can do different types of night

you should probably stop saying you can not find night servers with ppl on tho, as it just makes you look pretty clueless. are you upto date version wise?

Clatterbridge, the first thing you posted in this thread was snide and sarcastic, so don't try to claim that you're innocent and that I'm the asshole. I'm simply insulting to those that deserve it.

It is not realistic for the night to be as dark as it is. And even if it were, its still almost unplayable and better avoided. It's not winter in game, and be it cloudy or not in game you can't see anything. That is not realistic as you so zealously claim. You sound like the kind of guy who leaves a well lit area at 10 PM at night and thinks "GEE ITS PITCH BLACK" and goes back inside. The human eye takes 20-30 minutes to become fully adjusted to complete darkness. The level of darkness in game is ridiculous. And the fact that you admit willingly that you only play on day servers really makes you sound foolish to begin with...why am I even replying to you...

• Like 1

I just think that night should be made a little clearer...I'm not talking about a full moon but just give it some visibility so that its not only players with NVGs playing at night. Also I wonder if theres a way to make it random how dark the night gets, I know ARMA can set cloud cover and whatnot so maybe some nights are darker then others then once in a while we get a clear sky full moon with great visibility.

I wish there was a count to see how many flares I've thrown :) or how long, cumulative, I've used a flashlight.

and the darkness is based on time. After 2 am the moon is overhead

Edited by internetTAB

I love the night, less people who KOS.

Completely different gameplay. Nights are like day and right, depending on whether the moon is full or new.

• Like 1

I love night time.. carry a chemlight for open country, and throw a few around the streets in the cities..

Stalked a couple of muppets running with a road flare from Stary to the NWAF once.. was trying to get close enough to them to pop them.. they got through the fence of the airfield before I got close enough, then I just heard the 50 cal reports and thought better of it.. was a fun trip tho :)

And the chemlights make everything really atmospheric..

Get NVG's

Boost Gamma/brightness

Use flares

Use chemlights

Stay in town with burning oil drums

Wait for a full moon

Get a car which has lights on it

Night time is a requirement (and an amazing feature) of this game. If there was no night time you'd be on here complaining you got killed all the time because people could see you too easily.

"It is not realistic for the night to be as dark as it is.

The human eye takes 20-30 minutes to become fully adjusted to complete darkness. The level of darkness in game is ridiculous."

You sound like a city boy. You have no idea what kind of darkness I mean and have experienced much of. basically it's the kind of darkness that's in this milsim, which was created with the help of military consultants

"And the fact that you admit willingly that you only play on day servers really makes you sound foolish to begin with...why am I even replying to you..."

why does it make me foolish? i dont have NV so i dont play night servers. i sure dont "server hop" to get there tho, since i started on a day server lol. like everyone else i imagine..wtf. you either set out to join a day or a night server, unless you are a dooch who cant work out the filter.

you are just poorly informed and raging. calm down. either the map needs more NV or needs a shorter moon cycle if anything etc. you just choose your words poorly man, not sure what you are trying to achieve here. personally as soon as i get some NV (yet to find one) i will be joining a (busy) night server and i hope that shits pitch black lol

Edited by Clatterbridge

Night's there for a challenge, but there are way too many newspawns for the challenge to be right for them, so they hop servers.

I know that I don't really want to play on a night server when it should be day, but if it's night, why not?

Just put my 2 cents in here.

I have no issues with night servers, my best experiences have been during the night. I'll only avoid night servers when I'm trying to group up etc. since travelling and trying to find each other can be quite difficult. Besides that though the nights are much better for avoiding zombies and players.

I guess you'd class me as an idiot for using a flashlight but I love the tension of knowing I'm visible to almost everyone around me, it's great! Something different. Honestly I feel safer at night time because if I don't have a flashlight/flare equiped I know I'll be harder to spot than If I'm running around in broad daylight. My survival rate rapidly increases at night time and on the local servers in Australia there are usually 20 odd players hanging around so I'd say that's far from 'almost no-one'. Obviously Night Vision is something to fear but I've never fallen victim to it myself (but I'm always aware of it).

I'd also point out that a Blue Chemlight is by far the best option at night time, I've lost team mates who I'm running with in the forest using these the visability is so low. Plus anyone with a sniper rifle would be silly to camp at night without Night Vision anyway so it's not like I'm making my situation that much worse.

I also quite like going all Batman on the Bandits at night time by throwing flares to 'draw' them into my trap *evil grin*.

It adds another Dynamic to the gameplay, it may not be as popular as daytime play but I don't believe any changes need to be made really, slightly more visability would be nice but I think I'd find myself missing the atmosphere if they changed it.

I'd also like to see some proof of 'nobody playing' since, as I stated earlier, the servers I've seen are far from 'empty' or even low on players. Sorry but I dislike people basing their arguments on facts without providing any form of solid evidence.

*noting the hypocrocy in my statement there I'll try to post a screenshot to prove my side when I get home from work*

Stop being a baby and play in the dark. Turn your settings up. You must be new at the game because playing at night time is the best thing to do if you want to hit all the nice loot spots.

Since when am I afraid of change?

Bitching here isnt going to make it better though. Rockets going to do what he wants to do. Maybe hell add things you like, maybe he wont, either way bitching and complaining isnt going to change anything. If you dont like the game now, dont fucking play it. Come back some other time, and maybe you will like it.

O.o so letting rocket know that some players don't like something is bad? I think its needed even the complaining threads because its a hell of a lot better than everyone just praising him.

on topic: I play arma 2 vanilla missions all the time at night and can see a hell of a lot better in a thunderstorm, than I can in an average dayz server. (I have all lights turned off.)

Edited by Orthus

Heck, I hit hospitals in the dead of night. Right in the center of the most dangerous cities on the map, and I'm throwing flares and chemlights and using my flashlight. I've never been shot at while doing so.

Sure, anyone in the region will see your light and know you are there, but with so few players on the server there's actually a rather low chance of that happening. Also, a lot of people playing at night are there to loot just like you are, and they'll often avoid anywhere they think another player is. Even now that I have NVG I still avoid other people's flares when I see them. I don't want to get shot at and I don't want to have to shoot them in defense. So I just ignore them and go on my way, and this seems to be the prevailing nighttime attitude. You're going to get shot at whether you play at night or during the day.

A quick tip, if you think someone is in the area, throw flares everywhere and then run to the shadows. Anyone relying on conventional lighting will see only the flared areas, and anyone using NVG will be blinded by the flares and unable to track you.

• Like 2

Playing at night is a different challenge but alot of players are babies and refuse to see any benefit of playing at night so they won't.

It's a shame because playing at night can be alot of fun in friends/squads.

• Like 1

I really feel the 30 minute/however long cycles would create for much more interesting gameplay. No one I've ever played with wants to play at night. A more reasonable cyclic night and day cycle would create the whole minecraft "lets hunker down some where for the night" adding what I think would be a fun new aspect to the game.