Why not add this?

Basically a Ghille'd M24, nothing overpowered, its not a ghille'd AS50 or M107, would be pretty easy to add, requires no new ammo, no new textures, just adding to the loot table I believe, maybe a bit of coding, I'm not saying you have to but would be a nice addition, and it would give America and Russia both a ghille'd rifle, and for those that don't like the svd's scope don't have to either carry a giant f***ing attena on them or have a DMR, the only valid sniping options as the M24 has no advantages over the others, but with a ghille it would be close to equal

Edited by Reaven1911
  • Like 4

How would adding a ghille make it equal?

Because it wouldn't be equal it would make it closer rather, as if you do use an m24/m40 you are as camo'ed as with the svd, which is one of the main reasons people use the svd, its basically another alternative to changing the scope of the SVD that most people seem to dislike...

NO MORE MILITARY GUNS

Only civilians... :(

Edited by MinxinG
  • Like 2

NO MORE MILITARY GUNS

What civie weapons could be added? besides civilian versions of what we already have?

PSO scopes are the most effective IMO, bullet drop calculations on the fly FTW..

Rangefinders > PSO scopes.

NO MORE MILITARY GUNS

I don't understand the logic behind this. What is wrong with having military weapons?

Enlighten us.

we have enough overpowered sniper rifles. take out everything but the cz550 with the occasional ultra-rare camo svd or m40. just my opinion

• Like 3

I don't understand the logic behind this. What is wrong with having military weapons?

Enlighten us.

Because civilian guns like basic shotguns and rifles would be faaaar more common then high end military weaponry. There already are to many military rifles in the game, they're to common. If you consider the economic state of the country, you definitely wouldn't find the type of weapons (and magnitude) that you do now. There needs to be a way higher variety of low grade weapons, and less of all firearms. Keep in mind that a lot of the people in Chernarus have their guns for hunting. Some may have pistols or something else, but nothing too fancy!

• Like 9

Because civilian guns like basic shotguns and rifles would be faaaar more common then high end military weaponry. There already are to many military rifles in the game, they're to common. If you consider the economic state of the country, you definitely wouldn't find the type of weapons (and magnitude) that you do now. There needs to be a way higher variety of low grade weapons, and less of all firearms. Keep in mind that a lot of the people in Chernarus have their guns for hunting. Some may have pistols or something else, but nothing too fancy!

EXACTLY

Everyone in this game has a military gun as it is the most common shit that you would find in a country-side city, which is totally wrong, there should be waay more shotguns, hunting rifles, pistols, low caliber automatic rifles

NOT FUCKING M4A3 with Optics, or a AS50 ( a fucking anti material gun, used ONLY against armored vehicles ), M16A2 ACOG ( acog? Really? Ok lets fake that its super normal finding a extremely military only guns in a fucking shitty military airstrip.

Im not saying that they should be removed, but decrease their spawn rate, make like really fucking rare.

So, for an alpha mod, instead of fixes bugs or adding more content you want them to go through and change every single weapon to have a civie texture?

also it wouldn't work on a map where there are suppose to be military bases everywhere, there was suppose to be a war going on during it, hence the american AND russian weapons in russia, so you would find most of the items, and suspected british support due to the helo crash sites

EXACTLY

Everyone in this game has a military gun as it is the most common shit that you would find in a country-side city, which is totally wrong, there should be waay more shotguns, hunting rifles, pistols, low caliber automatic rifles

NOT FUCKING M4A3 with Optics, or a AS50 ( a fucking anti material gun, used ONLY against armored vehicles ), M16A2 ACOG ( acog? Really? Ok lets fake that its super normal finding a extremely military only guns in a fucking shitty military airstrip.

Im not saying that they should be removed, but decrease their spawn rate, make like really fucking rare.

I totally agree with you guys! Make military weapons extremely rare and precious.. I would make it very drastically, lets say only 2 or 3 sniper rifles at all can be found on the whole map/chernarus. Anti material gun only 1. M16 and such weapons only 5 - 8 on the whole map. AK's should be more common. And then mostly hunting rifles, pistols, and such...

That would make the game way more realistic. And it would make it more special to own such a weapon.

So, for an alpha mod, instead of fixes bugs or adding more content you want them to go through and change every single weapon to have a civie texture?

also it wouldn't work on a map where there are suppose to be military bases everywhere, there was suppose to be a war going on during it, hence the american AND russian weapons in russia, so you would find most of the items, and suspected british support due to the helo crash sites

How are things supposed to be changed or implemented later if current features are not scrutinized? How do you rationalize the idea that adding more content is ALWAYS a good thing? Guns are far too common, not just military-grade ones. Why intensify the problem by adding a camouflaged variant of a sniper already in the game? Wouldn't that be wasting the time you think the devs should be spending adding more features and bug fixes to the game?

Because little is known about the outbreak, for all we know the military bases in Chernarus were abandoned when things got bad. Perhaps they fell back to another region of the continent, or set up a perimeter around the area of the infection so as to contain it? The armies probably would have taken their high-tech weapons and equipment with them when they fell back. In either case, the only weapons you'd be able to find would be on the scars of battles waged in the time before, and, depending on how long it has been since those battles and all of this started, most of them could have already been taken or lost. I can understand how you could potentially find weapons at the site of a helicopter crash, I don't have a problem with this feature. This is all speculation on my part, and anything is possible because so little is known (to me at least, perhaps I need to look).

If anything is to be fixed or changed in the interest of the good of the game, people DO need to complain about what is currently an alpha, and conflicting viewpoints DO need to be raised. A lot of things have to be considered. I appreciate that you are contributing and adding more ideas to the table, even though I really disagree with them, but don't pull the "IT IS AN ALPHA" card. It doesn't lead to discussion about ideas, and it doesn't help build an intelligent conversation about a feature that you seriously think should should be implemented.

EDIT: Some spelling errors.

Edited by Arkodus

multiple military camps

crashed choppers

military airfield

military med camp & military tents

shit tons of military corpses & infected

YET military weapons should be rare & civilian guns, in "czech republic", should be more common. You do know that possessing a gun legally in most countries of Europe is a real plain in the ass, right?

• Like 3

multiple military camps

crashed choppers

military airfield

military med camp & military tents

shit tons of military corpses & infected

YET military weapons should be rare & civilian guns, in "czech republic", should be more common. You do know that possessing a gun legally in most countries of Europe is a real plain in the ass, right?

This, how many people do you know that owns a gun in america? cut that down to 1/4, then that might be the amount of population that has a gun per town, there is no NYC the biggest town in this game is the size of Omaha NE

I wouldn't mind some highpower bolt action rifles, maybe some .300 wm/wsm, .338 lapua, .375 H&H and that sort, as well as some low power ones .22 LR, .22WMR and stuff like that.

• Like 1

there is no NYC the biggest town in this game is the size of Omaha NE

This amuses me because owning a gun in NYC is about as bad as trying to get one in Britain.

As for OP's post, sure, why not add it?

So long as we get a god damn .22 LR bolt action along with it, and maybe an SKS and a Mosin Nagant. Perhaps a Tokarev TT-33, or some classy bolt action low caliber rifles (say, in .222 or 6mm BR), preferably with proper animations.

At the moment, I'd much rather prefer Rocket work on gameplay elements, rather than farting around with adding or adjusting more guns to suit a gun nut / COD kiddie's wet dream, but if he -were- to add more guns, they should be the kind that you'd find in a rural eastern european coastal area.

• Like 4

This amuses me because owning a gun in NYC is about as bad as trying to get one in Britain.

As for OP's post, sure, why not add it?

So long as we get a god damn .22 LR bolt action along with it, and maybe an SKS and a Mosin Nagant. Perhaps a Tokarev TT-33, or some classy bolt action low caliber rifles (say, in .222 or 6mm BR), preferably with proper animations.

At the moment, I'd much rather prefer Rocket work on gameplay elements, rather than farting around with adding or adjusting more guns to suit a gun nut / COD kiddie's wet dream, but if he -were- to add more guns, they should be the kind that you'd find in a rural eastern european coastal area.

For the NYC comparison I meant population wise, there isn't a town as populated not that it is easy to get a gun in NYC, and nice job "COD kiddie" keeping it original, you annoying 14 year old.

I'd rather have a slew of east block weapons that would be found in a post soviet (although fictional.) state fighting a civil war.

I guess what you meant to say was "...if he -were- to add more guns, they should be the kind that you'd find in a rural eastern european coastal area that was hit by a sudden outbreak of Zombiecalypse with literally thousands of dead soldiers, crashed military force recon/assault helicopters from the UN(hence the european weaponry) military vehicles(destroyed HMMWV's everywhere), outposts(Military emergency base near fucking balota), bases and airfields all over the place because obviously the world tried to fight the outbreak with anything they had."

so yeah, finding military weapons would be absolutely unrealistic!

geez..I really cant see where the problem is; just look at ..well *every* movie with a dangerous global virus outbreak/alien attack/supernatural danger. What is the first thing getting shipped there? Legions of soldiers armed to the tits to "suppress" the threat.

Looking beyond established fiction, in a world..

- where people fire mortars over walls at their neighbours(im not talking about country im talking about yard neighbours)because they have different beliefs

- where children are armed and trained to kill for their stupid leaders deranged ideals

-where nuclear weapons of mass destructions are built to threaten someone else to not annihilate oneself with nuclear weapons of mass destruction

do you really think there would NOT be a massive pooling of weaponry in places hit by something like the DayZ-Plague?

ps: This is a rethorical question.

So anyone saying that the best way to make DayZ more authentic

1) is completely against established fiction (books/movies/comics/graphic novels)

2) is completely against the most logical assumption that a military warfare infrastructure would be established in outbreak hotspots

What does that mean?

The first thing I can think of is, that you want others to play the game you want them to.

I would love to have that made edible to me, because right now it tastes like shit.

Not sure how difficult it is to get a firearm where the game is based, but the more difficult it is, the more likely you would be to find military weapons everywhere. If this was taking place in Arizona or Texas, I could understand the call for less military and more civilian weapons, but this isn't the case. If anything, it is somewhat unrealistic how FEW places you can get military weapons. Outposts would literally be everywhere. Roadblocks, checkpoints, temporary bases, and fortified bases would be all over the coast, and inland. I personally think the game is backwards. People would be trying to get to the coast in a survival situation. Water can do amazing things. The mere fact we start at the ocean and are supposed to be running directly away from it takes away a bit of the authenticity for me.

Edit: didn't mean to derail the OP. +1 The gun should be in the game. I don't think it should come with ghillie camo though. I think that should be something the has to be found, and could be used on all guns (AR's and sniper rifles).

Edited by Zipper -82ndAB-

I don't quite see the point as there's an M24 already there. For all the difference between the M24 and M40A3 in real life, you'd only get a re-skin in game. On the flip side of this, I'd like to see some of the US Army weapons replaced with USMC weapons (if anyone's actually played the ARMA 2 campaign, they'd understand what I mean)

Personally, I'd like to see some of the Russian army weapons like PKP and AK-103 weapons ported over from ARMA 2 as well as some more civvie and post WW2 weapons added (Post Nazi Germany KAR-98K anyone?[advantage over the lee being that it fires a slightly bigger round and is shorter])

I guess what you meant to say was "...if he -were- to add more guns, they should be the kind that you'd find in a rural eastern european coastal area that was hit by a sudden outbreak of Zombiecalypse with literally thousands of dead soldiers, crashed military force recon/assault helicopters from the UN(hence the european weaponry) military vehicles(destroyed HMMWV's everywhere), outposts(Military emergency base near fucking balota), bases and airfields all over the place because obviously the world tried to fight the outbreak with anything they had."

so yeah, finding military weapons would be absolutely unrealistic!

Hey, guess what? We already have a fuckton of military weapons! Spend an hour hunting around deer stands and it's easy enough to pick up an AKS-74 Kobra or an M24, or maybe even an M249 SAW or a DMR!

And hell, I agree that there ought to be more checkpoints that actually spawn weapons, and more little military outposts around the place, but that's up to Rocket to work on; at the moment, the spawn areas for loot in Chernarus doesn't feel very well thought out.

Now, you're onto in-game lore? Well, where's the army, if they were so well stocked up on military weapons? The few that we find in deer stands or the barracks are just the ones they've left behind in the hands of infected soldiers. There's no way to tell how long it's been since the zombie apocalypse happened at this point, so another consideration is that an M16 that's been lying in a checkpoint for countless rainy days has a good chance of just not working. Think about it. A fair few survivors' would check out the military areas even just a few days after the apocalypse, before legging it out of Chernarus. Why would those who managed to get out of Chernarus not take a lot of the discarded military rifles with them, instead of grandpa's Mosin Nagant?

Again, Rocket needs to get his shit straight when it comes to what's going on in Chernarus, or in whatever map he whips up for DayZ's final iteration. The amount of people whining about wanting more high-grade, super modern military weapons in this game (like a Steyr ACR or a G11. I mean, really?) does annoy me. DayZ is about survival, not collecting shiny guns (although this does seem to be the goal of quite a few people, since there's not much to do), and making them less common would not at all be bad for gameplay or atmosphere.

What stinks is the lack of people's love of the survival aspect of this game. You hunt around for an hour in elektro to get gear, you go to Stary, you go to NWAF, pass a crashed heli or two on the way, and then what? You're loaded. Why would you bother shooting zeds when you can walk back to elektro and shoot at players? Or just camp someplace like Stary or Vybor and get nice loot from those players.

Having finding a working, non-rusted M16 that hasn't been stolen by those running away from the first wave of zeds should be a goddamn challenge. Demanding a cartload of cool weapons hurts the atmosphere and doesn't make this game any harder, either.