ZedsDeadBaby

Temporary Blacklist for all Locked Servers > 0 players

149 members have voted

1. 1. Blacklist locked servers for 72 hours?

• Yes!
    • No.

I have my server set to lock for the 5 minute period directly before a server restart to prevent players losing progress. I imagine some server admins do the same thing.

I have 0 problem with servers being locked five minutes before/after an update.

Only really concerned about the ones that are locked for days with the same three - five people always on them.

I have 0 problem with servers being locked five minutes before/after an update.

Only really concerned about the ones that are locked for days with the same three - five people always on them.

I've seen a few people in this forum reporting servers for being locked, and the reason was that the server was about to restart. People like to rage at server admins because they feel so self entitled to play on all the servers, all the time. People even rage after a server has restarted. Nevermind the fact that it's recommended to restart the server every 6 hours.

I understand some server administrators are doing some shady things, but reporting every server for a moments downtime or locking is not the way to approach this. No wonder the Devs are just ignoring this. FFS posting a list of 140 severs that are currently locked is not helpful, yet people are raging that that list isn't being dealt with.

Instead of QQing over servers locked for 10 minutes, how about you rent your own and show the rest of us how much better at server hosting you are.

• Like 1

maybe they should do a poll on what is the age of the complaint because im sure its everyone under the age of 15

Yes, let's make even more work for the devs. It's not as if they're not already working their asses off.

Best answer i can think of is a server is automaticly disconnected from the hive when locked(saving just before disconnecting incase of abuse to avoid death) then once the server is locked it should not beable to connect to the hive without a restart

Admin would beable to test patchs or even mess around on their own servers however it would not allow them to farm items/vehicels.

Saying that, im sure their is a tech reason for all the going ons, and lets be honest altho its vexing the ammount of admin pillaging isnt really that bad and not really a game breaker so far as alpha development im sure its low on the hit list.

• Like 1

People pay for their servers. Without having them pay for their servers, you wont have a backend for all the users. If you like to have a free to play game with your rules, you must provide your own servers. So this is a clear

NO

To all those players crying here: "All servers must be open" and "All your servers belongs to us" and "You, as serveradmin, have not the right to do that and that": BUY YOUR OWN SERVER! You cant? Well... better shut up though.

• Like 3

I lock my server on restarts to allow the server to boot up with our the ddos spam and also i would like to be able to lock it when its capped out as well. But thats fine keep crying and watch as we server host get tired of all the screams of admin abuse and just stop paying for your servers then you can all enjoy your new pay to play game where one server company runs it all and no matter how much you bitch you get what you pay for. Im so close to shutting down my server due to all the whinning about how every server you guys see is exploiting or admin abuse. How about this just go buy your own server and let it stay open all the time tell us who pay for you to play how stable it is on restarts and updates while 500 people are spamming your server lol.... I cant believe so many people cry over something that other people pay for so you can have for free. Keep it up though please because the guys that host your servers we can afford to pay to play but can all of you

• Like 1

I perfer to keep my server online only when I am around and shut it down otherwise incase of hackers.

Not going to lie, #Lock is a VERY tempting feature, but I have yet to use it.

I have mixed feelings about this issue because people are spending A LOT of money to play on their own server, which should basically be (You pay for it, you get the beans).

Obviously its bad if there server is on constant lock down for clan members to loot (that ruins the game). But I think you will always have people locking their servers under this API. It's unavoidable really.

To the point, I think some punishment should be made, but it can't be very harsh.

Thats like banning a kid for taking the candy in front of him, basically.

I lock my server on restarts to allow the server to boot up with our the ddos spam and also i would like to be able to lock it when its capped out as well.

The majority of these servers have 3-10 players online, many carrying clan tags. This is clearly not a case of locking servers for technical reasons and suggesting so is disingenuous at best.

But thats fine keep crying and watch as we server host get tired of all the screams of admin abuse and just stop paying for your servers

If these particular admins don't want to hear about their abuses, they should probably stop abusing the system. There are plenty of false accusations that get slung around, but this isn't one of them. These admins are clearly abusing the rules. There's really no question.

The majority of these servers have 3-10 players online, many carrying clan tags. This is clearly not a case of locking servers for technical reasons and suggesting so is disingenuous at best.

If these particular admins don't want to hear about their abuses, they should probably stop abusing the system. There are plenty of false accusations that get slung around, but this isn't one of them. These admins are clearly abusing the rules. There's really no question.

I don't "abuse" any rules, yet I'm here bitching about your attitude towards Server Admins. Personally, I think you need to get an attitude check.

I've had a server of 30/50 people empty to about 10 on the first "Server will restart in 15 minutes" message. By the time I get to "Server will restart in 5 minutes" it's back up to 30-40 players.

I can see where #Lock would help that. Hell, I may be able to restart the server early and get it back up quicker if the population drops to 0 and no one else can connect. I don't use the #Lock feature, but I'm starting to think that it is a better idea more and more.

Players like you is what is driving this rift between Server Admins and Players. Don't like the way we run our servers, show us how much better you are at it by putting your $50-$200+/mo where your mouth is.

• Like 1

It's kinda obvious to see who voted for "NO".

I do believe some of those servers could have been locked for a good reasons, but i'm sure most of them are being locked by admins and their clans to spot vehicles and good loot before everyone else.

This is something to be considered, in my opinion.

Edited by Fenrig

im new to dayz, bought a server from host altitude. and #locked it so just my friends and i can play. we never wanted to goto another server, or anything just play together on one server. i never meant any hostilities by it or keeping it unfair to others. i did however receive a warning from host altitude to not do that anymore and i havent. but i do think there should be an option to not have our characters save on the hive and just on the local server for people who just wanna do open world zombie? that way if they goto another server they start over from scratch. just an idea.

Edited by tifalita

I'm going to assume you're not talking about things like Battleye Extended Control auto-locking the server when it's full to prevent DDOSing and such, and maintenance related locking like server restarts and such.

Other than those two very specific instances, I totally agree. Locking your server should be a suspendable offense for your server.

Why are people complaining about password protected servers?? in what way does it affect you??

Or they can constantly loot barracks and tents to get an unfair advantage.

Or they can constantly loot barracks and tents to get an unfair advantage.

thats my point we werent doing it for unfair advantages, we just wanna play on our server only and never go anywhere else. i believe there should be a way to save THOSE characters on the hosted server and not the hive. that way if my friends went somewhere else they WOULDN'T have an unfair advantage. i dont understand how this cant be implemented.

Edited by tifalita

thats my point we werent doing it for unfair advantages, we just wanna play on our server only and never go anywhere else. i believe there should be a way to save THOSE characters on the hosted server and not the hive. that way if my friends went somewhere else they WOULDN'T have an unfair advantage. i dont understand how this cant be implemented.

To be fair, expecting private servers to be supported while the game is still in alpha, and rocket is trying to get the bugs sorted out in the major stream of the game, it's a little unrealistic.

Still doesn't change the fact that people need to chill out with server reporting and getting all angsty about a server being offline for 5-15min while it's restarted. Even insta-removing a server from the hive when it is locked isn't a good procedure. I could see the server losing connection to the hive after 30 minutes of being locked until a restart happens. That way it falls within the maintenance mode scenarios, which generally result in a restart anyways before the server goes live.

There are much worse admin-abuses.

For example: some of them seem to have a hack to restock - for example - a tent every day. I know a server with such a place. I go to this tent on one day, take everything i need. When i come back at the next day the stuff i've left there is completly gone and all the old things are back. Every day. Since tents and their content are saved in the server-db this wouldn't be too hard to do.

It's also somehow possible to limit the server size without setting the maximum players in the server.cfg. I found servers where not more than 5 players were able to join, WITHOUT any password protection.

So, i have to say this demand for blacklisting locked servers is very funny. Admins are able cheat the hell out of this game without any password protection.

Probably it would be better to hunt such large-scale cheaters than to blacklist everyone who locks the server for some hours - probably with a legit reason.

Edited by Knightowl

I have a server of my own and some times there times you need to test the patch first before opening to the public i.e. We updated our server last night and when we all rejoined our bus turned into a bike and our boat turned into a atv? we where like WTF but because every one was already using the new vehicles we left it the way it was, now if we tested the server first we could of found out there was an issue but we did not and lost allot of crap :(

My point is I think it is OK to lock your server to test the new up date but yes locking it for over a day and having 5 people on there is a bit fishy.

The number of locked and passworded servers is growing every day...

I hate to make "calls to action" because I know people are busy and have other priorities beyond slapping naughty server admins on the wrist, but this is getting a little out of hand.

What will any of the rules mean if admins are just allowed to ignore them at will with no consequence?

Knock these guys off the hive for a few days and wipe the vehicle data on their servers in the meantime.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Oh my!

What will any of the rules mean if admins are just allowed to ignore them at will with no consequence?

Speed_Limit_55.jpg

Edited by jskibo

The only issue I have with this is the fact that hackers may find/gain the ability to add passwords or lock servers without actually knowing the RCon password. It's a great idea, but it's also an awful one until something's done about the hackers.

Yes, you're right jskibo.

These admins are just rebels without a cause, that's all. And the man is trying to keep them down with their speed limits and helmet laws!

Seriously.

Can you take a moment and explain in detail why you're so desperate to defend and apologize for these abusers?

You're clearly in the minority, and all you've really said so far is "quit complaining!"

So can you tell me why it's okay for server admins to pick and choose which rules they follow?

Why do you bother following the rules if you don't think they're important?

I tire of the constant whining, that's why.

There's no winning to this game. Its not about who can get the most gear (farming or not), or who gets the most kills (do teleporting hack kills show up?)

There's no rule book on how to play, some like the PvE, some PvP, some both.

I spend maybe 5 hours a week on it if I'm lucky and not busy with the wife, kids, work, etc...

I try to keep idiots off my server as best as I can, not much I can do about the battleye bypass ones. I'll ban if I find them, regardless of the "Rocket didn't say you can ban me for spawning uber gear...neaner, neaner"

Every other thread is titled. "Admin Absue: US XXX". Then you read it and its, "I just spawned in and the Admin teleported me to a mountain, stole all my gear, turned me into a goat and impregnated me". When you explain to them, Sorry Admins can't do that, you're met with, "Well my sisters friend read on a website from a Rocket interview that said Admins can do those things so it must be true". Its friggin mindless crap!

Again, grab a server, run it for a month, enjoy the garbage the self entitled community heaps on you....

OK, back to your crusade.......

Edited by jskibo
  • Like 1

DE 646 locked most days with 3 people playing on it.

18:45 gmt

i took this screenshot

these 3 people come on my server and kill many with their top level gear they aquire from locking their server daily, yet i cannot join their server to return the favour