paxtonmega

Banditry exploded

For the record: If you're not a woman or a child and there was a real zombie apocalypse going on, I would kill you first opportunity and use your muscles to feed myself and bait more zombies. So I'd do it in-game if it let me.

You should probably talk to a psychologist about that! Sure if it was a real zombie apocalypse I'd kill people. Anyone who tryed to mess with me I'd shoot not qualms. But I'm not going to around shooting everyone I see just because it will increase my chance of survival. I'm sure people would do what you say but not everyone has the same personality.

• Like 2

I think the Walking Dead pictures that out pretty well. People will band together in to groups in order to survive and form ties. These groups meeting each other will act hostile, usually not because they want their shit but because of the diminishing resources around them.

• Like 9

I think the Walking Dead pictures that out pretty well. People will band together in to groups in order to survive and form ties. These groups meeting each other will act hostile, usually not because they want their shit but because of the diminishing resources around them.

Wow, couldnt agree more. Beans to ya.

As dangerous as the human race is, and as of lately, I am sure a good portion would throw it out.

Maybe our decadent civilised morality, but I doubt that many would turn completely psychopathic. Even tribes 3000 years ago had rules like don't kill someone just to take their beans when you've got perfectly good beans in your backpack.

yea i had just found a gille in cherno in a resd building and a m24 died in elctro couple hours later. sucked

Walking Dead is great, but if you notice surivors in walking dead don't necessarily just snipe each other as soon as they see others, there wouldn't be much of a story there if this was the case. You have good and bad people and many more that are various shades of grey. The interactions between people the in Walking Dead world are complicated and strained. You can't trust anyone.

DayZ could be a lot more like this and a lot less like a free for all first person shooter.

• Like 2

Here's a thought if you dont want to be sniped.....DON'T GO INTO MAJOR CITIES WITHOUT AN OVERWATCH. I mean, you walk into a known pvp hotzone with no backup and you act surprised and indignant when you die. Really? No you are right, its not your playstyle, its clearly a bandit problem that needs to be stamped out so you can go into any zone you want without any preparation and get out unmolested.

• Like 2

So, here am I, playing DayZ for allmost two month now, and what can I say, since the newest Patch is out? The game crippeld into a mess of brainless Player-Shooting dickheads. Sorry to say it that hard... Since everybody knows that Ghillies and other Camo's once more spawn around Cherno and Elektro people seem to forget their standard brain functions. I spawned seven times on 5 different servers, went into town, entered the first building with NOTHING on me and got shot instantly by geared up players instead of talking to me. I know that PvP is a main part, but guys, seriously?

I like both Bandits and Survivors, but this is simply enough for me. Shooting unarmed players, newly spawned, it's funny when you get spawn sniped, annoying yes, but I ran from Kamenka, Otmel or Crutoy Cap into the towns and got shot with nothing. My consequence: From now on I will be shooting everybody on sight too and normally I am a player who helps people, gives morphine and blood bags to strangers.

There were two sides: Bad Guys and Good Guys, but now there is only one: shoot, never ask questions.

To all those who still want to keep faith and help people: You have my respect, for me this ideal died today and my heart cries, it really does.

I used to be just like you. I have no faith in anyone but my buddies. I will kill anyone who is geared up. If you are unarmed I will let you live and maybe help you out with a spare map. However that is where my kindness ends. I see you later with a gun and it is back to being the bandit this game has forced me into. At the very least I have rules for when I choose to engage. I will not kill unarmed players. I will not hunt the coast. I will never trust anyone who is not in my clan.

A friend and i have come up with a rule. When we see/think a player is near we message on direct comunication also try the mic's on direct comms warning "Identify yourself or be shot"

This has saved our life's a few times and saved others aswell.

If we see an unarmed player we help them out ect.... One guy had a enfield with no ammo so we decide to give him the ammo he needs and a few extra supplys to keep him going a while.

Yes this could of backfired on us and he could of shot us but i stood with my AK to his head while we spoke and made sure we couldnt turn on us. This made us a new friend and i hope he is alive today.

Remember the first rule in DayZ "Dont trust anyone" so live by that rule and unless they tell you they are friendly dont shoot them unless they are armed and do not respond. But always keep your guard up and keep them in your sights just incase.

• Like 1

Only met one dude who was willing to talk to me in the last 1.5 weeks. Others just shot on sight, and i have to say, the best weapon i ever had was the lee enfield, so you can't say they needed my gear :D

Edited by lobsterman

So you claim you have played Dayz for a few months and yet you die over and over again to bandits? I call BS that you are a two month veteran, your likly a noob who started playing a week ago. Banditry is much the same as it has been for a few months now.

So, here am I, playing DayZ for allmost two month now, and what can I say, since the newest Patch is out? The game crippeld into a mess of brainless Player-Shooting dickheads. Sorry to say it that hard... Since everybody knows that Ghillies and other Camo's once more spawn around Cherno and Elektro people seem to forget their standard brain functions. I spawned seven times on 5 different servers, went into town, entered the first building with NOTHING on me and got shot instantly by geared up players instead of talking to me. I know that PvP is a main part, but guys, seriously?

I like both Bandits and Survivors, but this is simply enough for me. Shooting unarmed players, newly spawned, it's funny when you get spawn sniped, annoying yes, but I ran from Kamenka, Otmel or Crutoy Cap into the towns and got shot with nothing. My consequence: From now on I will be shooting everybody on sight too and normally I am a player who helps people, gives morphine and blood bags to strangers.

There were two sides: Bad Guys and Good Guys, but now there is only one: shoot, never ask questions.

To all those who still want to keep faith and help people: You have my respect, for me this ideal died today and my heart cries, it really does.

Welcome to DayZ!

If you are worried enter a server with a low player count to start off. Once you get gear, look around for your big boy pants, I think they spawn around deer stands, airfields, stary military camp or berenzino mil camps. Once you have them put em on and pull those big boy pants right up.

Edited by Frostback

Interesting idea ;) Got me beans.

Saw a vid where these guys lit something like 30 campfires around the land at night and spend an hour shooting and bandaging each other. It was insane. All they DIDN'T do was sing Kumbaya.

Edited by ninjaholic

It's a game, it's not real life. So realism was thrown out of the window on day one. You are not really killing a person by shooting him in the game. But yes, you are nullifying his/her hours of work by doing so - so its not a very nice thing to do anyway.

... but what the hell is the POINT in shooting new spawned guys? You start to make me sick, really sick.

I do often shoot newly spawned players, even unarmed ones... Why? Because just because that player has respawned, does not mean that he would not be a bandit who kills other people on sight and would continue to do so the moment he gets a gun.

What I try NOT to do, is to shoot new players, the ones that are really new to the entire game. Because I still consider them to be innocent to the KoS going on. Unfortunately, it is rarely that I can truly know who is a new player and who is just a new respawn. And usually I just opt for the assumption that "guilty unless proven innocent".

Also, I've noted that unarmed players can be indirectly hostile. If they are part of a group, they usually communicate to that (often hostile) group - And this obviously poses a problem. The guy might not have a gun on him, but his friends have. And I don't intend to get killed in that manner anymore, so, I'll just rather cut off their spying communication. With the one method available to me. Which is to just shoot the unarmed guy.

I try treat players by the person behind that character, not by the temporary character that might be one minute of age and thus supposedly "innocent" with zero murders. The temporary character lifetime and its stats are irrelevant. Death is not a real persistent death even in this game. You respawn and run to get your gear back (from your body or clanmates) - and then continue whatever you were doing. You are the same person despite the death in-between those lives. If you have killed others for no reason, then you still deserve the same faith, despite the respawn.

TL;DR - Because I've been killed dozens of times for no reason by the other players, I feel no obligation to be above all that (and contantly getting killed), and thus will kill on sight as well to counter the situation. It's either that or just quit playing the game. If that is not what the game is supposed to be, then the game mechanics should be changed to counter it. It's as simple as that.

Maybe our decadent civilised morality, but I doubt that many would turn completely psychopathic. Even tribes 3000 years ago had rules like don't kill someone just to take their beans when you've got perfectly good beans in your backpack.

your fu&^ing kidding me right?

know your history, violence has been dropping steadily over the past 2000 years for the most part except where hunter/gatherer tribes live and are not forced to comply with someone elses rules, neolithic european mass graves have shown that mortality rates due to violent atatcks may have been as high as 60% and mutlipul mass graves showing entire settlements put to death either through the fighting to take it aor the follow up executions of the survivors

95% of native american tribes took part in raids against other villages for reasons such as capturing wives, killing large portions of them to weaken them, destroying food stores again to weaken them, revenge for earlier raids yada yada

almost all hunter gather tribes have no concept of surrender, becasue capture means death

violence is prevelant in humanities history,

theres a much fuller talk by Pinker about the subject on youtube called 'The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined'

put people in a tribal setting (clans/playing alone) in an enviroment of threat and scarcety and lots of violence comes out the other end

• Like 3

if you ran from kamenka into the big cities and still no melee or gun? seriously there are barns deer stands, medic area and airport in balota before you come close to the big cities. you are doing it wrong(IMO)...

• Like 1

your fu&^ing kidding me right?

know your history, violence has been dropping steadily over the past 2000 years for the most part except where hunter/gatherer tribes live and are not forced to comply with someone elses rules, neolithic european mass graves have shown that mortality rates due to violent atatcks may have been as high as 60% and mutlipul mass graves showing entire settlements put to death either through the fighting to take it aor the follow up executions of the survivors

95% of native american tribes took part in raids against other villages for reasons such as capturing wives, killing large portions of them to weaken them, destroying food stores again to weaken them, revenge for earlier raids yada yada

almost all hunter gather tribes have no concept of surrender, becasue capture means death

violence is prevelant in humanities history,

theres a much fuller talk by Pinker about the subject on youtube called 'The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined'

put people in a tribal setting (clans/playing alone) in an enviroment of threat and scarcety and lots of violence comes out the other end

Trust me, I know history, even proto civilisations have morality. Those tribes who were ruthlessly slaughtering each other had forms of morality. Things that were taboo and would mean being ostrachised or killed by your clan. Fighting between clans is not a sign of amorality but of war.

The fact you automatically assume morality = absence of violence shows how into the mindset of our decadent society you are! In Ancient Greece is was fine to rape and pillage non-Greeks settlements, but if you did anything remotely harmful to a fellow greek, or even a slave belonging to a greek, it could cost you your life.

Being a psychopath and simply being violent are very different things. Killing a man for another tin of beans when you're not even short on food yourself is something a psychopath would do, he sees two options, get extra beans and not get extra beans, so he kills the guy simply because he'd rather have the beans and doesn't see any downside. This is because he lacks empathy with his victim. Sure a zombie apocalypse would probably bring out the psychopath in many people, but people don't just start being psychopaths because their lives are in danger, that's not how human beings function.

Almost all societies have had taboos against killing without justification.

Also going to add that Steve Pinker is just a political puppet who trys to bend science to invalidate ideaology, just putting that out there xD

Edited by Huntra
  • Like 2

I was really surprised when I met my first armed player- he ran into a barn with a shotgun while I was prone with a winchester. Didn't shoot me though, he just ran around me in circles a few times and then ran off. I haven't even been shot at yet.

For the record: If you're not a woman or a child and there was a real zombie apocalypse going on, I would kill you first opportunity and use your muscles to feed myself and bait more zombies. So I'd do it in-game if it let me.

What is so special about women and children in a zombie apocalypse? I would be an equal opportunity shooter. I would think women will be just as ruthless as guys if there is a zombie apocalypse. Chivalry has died in the Middle Ages for me.

Edited by CompetitorX

Un-egoistic sharing makes use different from animals.

• Like 1

The amount of people in this game "exploded"

It's going to happen.

• Like 1

The fact you automatically assume morality = absence of violence shows how into the mindset of our decadent society you are! In Ancient Greece is was fine to rape and pillage non-Greeks settlements, but if you did anything remotely harmful to a fellow greek, or even a slave belonging to a greek, it could cost you your life.

That is where you have to look at the different ages of Greek society. In the early ages, such as the age where the Trojan War was to have taken place, the Greeks commonly fought each other, due to the fact the civilization was broken apart into different city states that all had different beliefs and taboos. In the latter ages, such as the age of Athens and Sparta, they still fought each other, as is seen in the Peloponnesian War. During the time of Philip II (I think), he conquered the entire country. Also, a psychopath is someone who doesn't have remorse. Shooting another man because you need the food is, in the thinking of Darwinism, is the proper thing to do because life is survival of the fittest. If he is unable to defend himself, he should be killed so you can live. Shooting him does not make you a psychopath, but a man who knows what is needed to survive, and is willing to take the steps needed to live. Most societies did have taboos for killing without reason, but those were enforced through even more violent punishments. The Spanish Inquisition, for an example of violent punishments, tortured those who they considered to be "Heretics", those who went against the Catholic Church, using the Rack, the Thumb Screw, and many other tools of the trade. The video actually describes many things that were true in the past, and is not a political hoax.

And on the topic of shooting unarmed, newly spawned people, I usually shoot them on sight. Due to the fact that in the next fifteen to twenty minutes, he might come back and shoot me for my stuff. Which is also why I don't leave any weapons behind me, and will always attempt to dispose of them so they can't harm me.

Edited by Commissarait Ricky

My first experience of the game was this: I ran into a town and got shot in the face, I was unarmed and the guy did not say anything at all. Since that I've just shot everyone, I dont ask questions, my gun does the talking now. So yeah, thanks to that asshole who shot me, I dont trust ANYONE at all.