paxtonmega

Banditry exploded

I don't shoot players without weapons but I'm actively hunting players. I don't need any loot. I don't need a vehicle. I'm bored out of trees and have nothing else to do.

We are actually organizing a cherno run tonight with nothing but AKM's and vest pouches. Making our own fun seems to be the only option at this point.

Edited by CormacMcarty

Kill onSighters are nothing but chicken shits making excuses, there's no reason you can't let most of the people go about their business as long as you are careful.

@OP et al: If you only do nice things for people because it's convenient or safe, you're not a "good guy". You're an opportunist; you're in it for profit. Genuine good guys aren't out for profit, and don't care if being nice means being shot.

• Like 2

Shit I haven't seen another player other than my own team and the odd person I've stalked and lost in months. That said I'm never around Electro, Chern, Stary or NW Airfield without absolute necessity either.

Shit I haven't seen another player other than my own team and the odd person I've stalked and lost in months. That said I'm never around Electro, Chern, Stary or NW Airfield without absolute necessity either.

So what are you actually doing ingame?

You're giving up too easily.

I've killed maybe 8 times total since I started playing this in May.

Never have I shot someone unarmed or unprovoked.

People shoot you or they don't. That's how it is, and the real meat of the game is that moment where you don't know how they will react.

Shoot on sight eliminates this completely, so you end up missing out on that experience.

Your servant,

Weld

• Like 1

@OP et al: If you only do nice things for people because it's convenient or safe, you're not a "good guy". You're an opportunist; you're in it for profit. Genuine good guys aren't out for profit, and don't care if being nice means being shot.

Your point?

Yeah, bandits completely outnumber survivors *rolls eyes*

July 30th, 2012.

Alive Characters: 735,234

Bandits Alive: 125,402

^THIS.

You are sooooo right about this. So from now on absolutely NO game direction decisions should be made with Bandits in mind. Good or Bad. As it has been pointed out, "they" are not the majority. Their cries for 5 to 30 secs of free time to shoot a person logging out where that person can not avoid being shot cause his window is closed is definately not going to be implemented. And there's a wonder to why there is such an out burst of hackers. Realize that the mindset of the Bandit and the mindset of the Hacker are kissing cousins. Born of the same womb. The weak excuse "well I don't know what's in his bag until he's dead and I can loot him" or "you just don't know if he's gonna shoot you". Both are valid, but more often just layered upon someones want to give someone else a crappy day. You can layer your bullshit on as much as you want in an urge to defend your psychopathic fantasies spawned by the lack of fulfillment in your real life all you want, but some people are just not gonna believe you when you're pissing on them and trying to tell them it's raining. Hell in a hand basket, hell in a hand basket, considering the inspiration for the mod hell and hand baskets could be exciting, but there's no depth to the basket and hell smells like shit and bubble gum. There's a reason why every shooter gets replaced by the next new thing in six months and this is turning into just another shooter...

Edited by Void
  • Like 1

I've not committed any murders on unarmed people.... yet.

I've got into a few firefights now and have either died or been crippled and had to crawl away only to die of cold/hunger/thirst out in the wilderness somewhere.

The main reason I'm the one who comes a cropper is that I've got to get better at hitting moving targets. Now, I could leearn on zombies but then there's the chance of getting hurt. Why would I want to risk that?! No no, probably best I shoot at something unarmed and mobile.... spawners.

Ok I agree it is slightly annoying to spawn and then get shot within the first few minutes... but then you could look on the bright side; you've not lost any loot!

I kill fresh spawn because once, I meet fresh spawn on the coast, we started up a conversation, and then after about 10 minutes he pulled a 1911 outta his pack and lit me up. Killed me before I could even shoot. Therefore, trust no one.

Paranoia and fear are a large selling point

When people glorify the totally brainless killing on sight, they usually want to paint a picture like that part of the official trailer here:

Getting shot on sight when having nothing but a flashlight somehow fails to get that dramatic feeling of paranoia across somehow, but perhaps that's just me...

Again you crit me with a wall of text. I have very little to say except

a) you don't know what ideology means in an academic sense of the word.

*yawn*
b ) you don't understand what a zero sum game is, a game where co-operation is irrational because there is no way for us to both win the game, if I let you win +1 then I lose -1
but that only holds true provided we both place the same value on the token of exchange, a zero sum game with $10 as the prize stops bieng a zero sum game when a millionaire and a homless guy face off, the $10 holds no/little value for the millionaire but is holds great value for homeless guy

and im talking more specifically about none zero sum games, where a posative -posative sum, negative -negative sum, neutral- zero sum, outcombe can all be achieved

you might value that makarov and axe you carry i dont,

c) You seem think in-groups are always exclusive, totally ignoring how in groups come to exist. This game does not even faciliate the emergence of in-groups in game. In-grouping is only rational in non-zero sum circumstances.
hey and thats where we find ourselves gratz, are in-groups totally exclusive? no but the more they gain between them the less likley they are to add to thier ranks unless its to meet a specific need, and without a specific need presenting them selves the more likley they are to take positions that protect the current status quo
Furthermore I'm not stating society created war in that so called ad-hominem, I'm stating that anyone who believes in the war of all on all as the natural human condition is equally indoctrinated as someone who believes in the noble savage and the social constructiion of war.
all on all? sorry where did i say anythuing about this? did i say that entier tribes shipped off to raid the next tribe? no

what i did say is tribes raid other tribes i didnt mention or hint that it was the entierety of tribe A going off to do naughty bad things now did i? althought the outcombe could well lead to tribe A anhilating the entirety of tribe B

I never said humans are primarily moral and wouldn't kill each other, I'm saying that this game forces KoS in a way that is unrealistic because many humans are to some degree moral, and this isn't expressable in the game.
theres also no way to acuratley build this into the game without unrealistic systems forcing player behaviour

although there are tools available, the salute bind, the surrender bind, you can lower your weapon so its less threatening and gives the other person warning if you decide you changed your mind and want to attack, you can do the happy dance - all these are used as visual indicators of intent that are used in game to denote friendly, you have access to chat and text options

so it is expressable to a certain limitation (you could even drop your gun on the floor but then you loose ammo so not a bright idea) how people then react to this is thier choice and not forced by game mechanics

The only time you see it in game is when unarmed players aren't KoS'ed,

http://dayzmod.com/f...e__hl__friendly

http://dayzmod.com/f...dly#entry499101

bandit campfire -58 pages of threads

survivor hq -128 pages of threads

snoop around the forums, everyday theres fresh tales of people finding a friend and telling the tale of thier jorney together. you need a different server to play on

this life im currently playing (currently 3 weeks old) i meet 5 friendlies who wanted to team up within the first hour, i declined politley and ran for the woods to do my own thing away from the main cities

i see it more then just not shooting fresh spawners, just have a look through the forums of the people describing how they went to town specifically to help people, at the groups set up specifically to help people

you tell me it doesnt happen in game i tell you your wrong, epically wrong, its not as common as it could be but then again what is

Finally you shouldn't listen to the psuedo-scientists because there is a good reason why in physics if someone says we can prove this within 80% certainty they politely tell them to leave before they phone security.
well teh first problem with that is anyone at any science lecture banding around the word 'prove' probably shouldnt be(unless they are discussing mathmatics) there or thier vocabulary needs work

however someone saying we can predict to an 80% accuracy is probably sharing a new idea that still needs work and is presenting it for feed back of ways to refine it, exclude some variable or find objections they hadnt thought of so it can be refined or scrapped as neccessary

Edited by stuffnthings

You're story doesn't mention you trying to open up a dialogue. Only that you entered a building someone was hiding out in and when you were shot in the face you got upset. So the fault lies with the player who somehow avoided all those people who've apparently been killing you, got himself a gun and was holding out somewhere safe? It's HIS job to open a dialogue with you when you run through that door? You could even be MORE realistic and when you enter a building unarmed yell "hello is anyone here?". Too many people angry at pkers not being "realistic" when they themselves are running around the zombie apocalypse with no concern for their own life just looking for loot. How bout you treat each life like it's your last, not run from a tiny village all the way to a major city, proceed to enter major city by yourself during an apocalypse, and try to actually survive.

Nobody can seriously quote the Walking Dead and relate it to Dayz! WD is all about morality, it's about making tough choices and about all the different ways communities found to survive. Some seclude themselves, some become cannibalistic and the group of survivors we are following in the series (or the much better graphic novel series) is trying to maintain certain moral standards. Even if they go crazy, they still work as one family and the trigger happy ones got killed first, either by zombies or by their stubbornness not to cooperate.

In Walking Dead there is a plethora of ways to survive the Zombie Apocalypse and the groups that shoot first are usually not the most successfull ones. WD is about individuals and their talent for organisation, care of others, stealth, hunting, medcine, etc. Everybody does their part and they stick together, because the benefits of the group outweigh the risks. In Dayz (now) you stick together, because there might be a bigger group with more guns, who shoots you before they do, Team deathmatch again.. nothing realistic about that. Shooting unarmed players is just one example of how utterly stupid people in the game act.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 3

This game is totally broken! There is exactly one way to fix this problem and I know precisely what it is. Rocket and everyone who reads this post is an idiot for not realizing this already.

Stfu.

If you don't like "difficult" games, don't play them.

Ive read this whole thread, and this is probably the best line from the thread itself.. The game has a very steep learning curve, as well as a luck factor. If you are one of those people who want to jump into a game, and then destroy it, and beat it with no possible threat of losing... then perhaps you might wanna go play "Barbie's Fashion Runway". If you want to play a game, and actually get challenged.. play Day Z. I think I've played the game only 3 times, I've died once due to my retarded ness, and once to a player (Damn you GravBoots!!!) but, in his defense, I was looking for him. :)

if you ran from kamenka into the big cities and still no melee or gun? seriously there are barns deer stands, medic area and airport in balota before you come close to the big cities. you are doing it wrong(IMO)...

Newsflash: they are empty.

And yes, while you spend your time at south killing newbs, me and my friend spend time in north, raiding your tents, lol. So eye for an eye, lol

Edited by Desertstriker

The only way to get around the issue OP posted is. Changing people is often a difficult process and is in this cause....hopeless.

1. Survivors setup their own server were KOS leads to ban.

2. Mod is updated so it is possible to enable so called pvp areas on the map where rest is pve.

All that is need is the constantly raising amount of Z-s over time. Like from 100 to 2000 in one-two hours if Z-s are not being suppressed via hunting. This will give the choice to players - either cooperate, or shoot others, but be sneaky so that it can attract hordes of the undead,

hi,

People who have crappy gear want to be friendly, the others shoot on sight.

EDIT: That was not the smartest comment I made but ho well...

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller

*yawn*

but that only holds true provided we both place the same value on the token of exchange, a zero sum game with $10 as the prize stops bieng a zero sum game when a millionaire and a homless guy face off, the $10 holds no/little value for the millionaire but is holds great value for homeless guy

and im talking more specifically about none zero sum games, where a posative -posative sum, negative -negative sum, neutral- zero sum, outcombe can all be achieved

you might value that makarov and axe you carry i dont,

hey and thats where we find ourselves gratz, are in-groups totally exclusive? no but the more they gain between them the less likley they are to add to thier ranks unless its to meet a specific need, and without a specific need presenting them selves the more likley they are to take positions that protect the current status quo

all on all? sorry where did i say anythuing about this? did i say that entier tribes shipped off to raid the next tribe? no

what i did say is tribes raid other tribes i didnt mention or hint that it was the entierety of tribe A going off to do naughty bad things now did i? althought the outcombe could well lead to tribe A anhilating the entirety of tribe B

theres also no way to acuratley build this into the game without unrealistic systems forcing player behaviour

though there are tools available, the salute bind, the surrender bind, you can lower your weapon so its less threatening and gives the other person warning if you decide you changed your mind and want to attack, you can do the happy dance - all these are used as visual indicators of intent that are used in game to denote friendly, you have access to chat and text options

so it is expressable to a certain limitation (you could even drop your gun on the floor but then you loose ammo so not a bright idea) how people then react to this is thier choice and not forced by game mechanics

http://dayzmod.com/f...e__hl__friendly

http://dayzmod.com/f...dly#entry499101

bandit campfire -58 pages of threads

survivor hq -128 pages of threads

snoop around the forums, everyday theres fresh tales of people finding a friend and telling the tale of thier jorney together. you need a different server to play on

this life im currently playing (currently 3 weeks old) i meet 5 friendlies who wanted to team up within the first hour, i declined politley and ran for the woods to do my own thing away from the main cities

i see it more then just not shooting fresh spawners, just have a look through the forums of the people describing how they went to town specifically to help people, at the groups set up specifically to help people

you tell me it doesnt happen in game i tell you your wrong, epically wrong, its not as common as it could be but then again what is

well teh first problem with that is anyone at any science lecture banding around the word 'prove' probably shouldnt be(unless they are discussing mathmatics) there or thier vocabulary needs work

however someone saying we can predict to an 80% accuracy is probably sharing a new idea that still needs work and is presenting it for feed back of ways to refine it, exclude some variable or find objections they hadnt thought of so it can be refined or scrapped as neccessary

Firstly yawn if you want, or perhaps educate yourself. Secondly if everyone kills on sight, such as by killing a guy with a makarov when you are wearing a gilly with a sniper rifle then you are acting as if this was a zero sum game. The point I'm making is that this game, as well as the real world, is not. It's only poor in game communication features and the immature KoS attitude of players that makes it so. You brought up other types of game and I fail to see the relevance. There are plenty ways to change this without "forcing players" to do things unnaturally as you seem to think. Adding the Arma II mod radios to the game would fix almost everything, its unnatural for humans to never communicate and just KoS each other, this has never happened at any point in human history. I never said anything about you mentioning the war of all on all, but if you have a brain you will see how it relates to my point about KoS being unrealistic. Finally you prove theories and predict results, because of the problem of induction science does not prove things with 100% certainty like math and logic, but the word is perfectly fine to use. Seriously I don't know how you have time to write such long incomprehensible responses.

Edited by Huntra

Banditry isn't a problem, people who shoot unarmed survivors with nothing on them is becoming one, i see an unarmed person i'll leave them, maybe even try team-up, see an armed person who i can't avoid/they have something i want/need, i'll open fire.

hi,

If you want to have a good view of what becomes the civilization after total apocalypse, watch the road with Viggo Mortensen. It is pretty much what happens in DayZ but without internet impunity/anonymity factor. It is how humans are and you are not going to change it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller

Firstly yawn if you want, or perhaps educate yourself. Secondly if everyone kills on sight, such as by killing a guy with a makarov when you are wearing a gilly with a sniper rifle then you are acting as if this was a zero sum game.

i loose multipul hours (lets pick 40 hours) of hunting gear he looses 2 hours, i loose a huge list of semi/difficult to find gear he doesnt

its a none zero sum game, the loss V's gain desont balance

COD and other standard fps games are zero sum, i gain or loose 1 kill/death marker thats it

You brought up other types of game and I fail to see the relevance.
wait wut? i bet i didnt, unless your talking about me calrrifying this is a none zero point game and clarrifying the possible outcomes, posative sum outcombe,negative sum outcome, zero point outcombe
There are plenty ways to change this without "forcing players" to do things unnaturally as you seem to think. Adding the Arma II mod radios to the game would fix almost everything, its unnatural for humans to never communicate and just KoS each other,
you have radio player 2 doesnt (this is pressuming its a findable item not standard spawn issue), you bumble across player 2 cant alert him your there or check his intentions besides whats already ingame (salute/happydance/surrender/direct text/chat) your in exactly the same position as you were before except now you have a radio in your tool belt

standard item, im a bandit i have a radio, your chatting to player b, i use radio to track you down and kill you both becasue of what your saying over the radio, you may not be working together you may be just chatting doesnt matter, this is no different to when we had global chat enabled, and it got used for luring people into ambushes or hunting them down more then for grouping. becasue for every 1 player that was actually looking to group there were two looking for free gear

throw in a third option, the ability to lock radio channels so no one else can listen but everyone spawns with a radio, well now youve just broken the original intention you cant chat to the other guy until he is invited into your radio channel and you cant do that unless your close enough to invite, this is still pretty much the same position you were in with no radio so he is still just as likley to shoot you as before, and this is forcing people, theres an advantage in numbers your no adding in another advantage of the ability to communicate organise and hunt that isnt open to people unless they group, forcing grouping by rewarding that behaviour

this is no different to using ts or skype, many servers have public ts channels that they advertise ingame anyway

unnatural for humans to never communicate and just KoS each other, this has never happened at any point in human history.
well if you class hurling insults as well as bullet, U.S. gang violence at its hieght, KOS was the norm, infact any place with high rates of gang related gun violence KOS rather then communicating is the norm
because of the problem of induction science does not prove things with 100% certainty like math and logic, but the word is perfectly fine to use. Seriously I don't know how you have time to write such long incomprehensible responses.

im just tallented i guess <3 Edited by stuffnthings

hi,

If you want to have a good view of what becomes the civilization after total apocalypse, watch the road with Viggo Mortensen. It is pretty much what happens in DayZ but without internet impunity/anonymity factor. It is how humans are and you are not going to change it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY

cya.

Nikiller.

Add cannibalism to DayZ? I like the idea.........make it hard to find food eat your friend?

Bandits, Surivors and Cannibals......

Edited by derailed000
  • Like 1